Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Master Fan

Ah well...it was nothing. Clearly it was needed.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_shiningstar (View Post)
I'm on Chap. 16 (page 206) somewhere in Part 4 "The Lake District."

Spoiler:
(Spoilers about Voyager DO NOT READ if you haven't gotten that far yet (looking at you Rachel )
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategrinstead (View Post)
I really enjoyed Drums of Autumn because it brings in Bree/Roger as they toggle back and forth again between the times. They have their own distinct storyline and they have quickly become two of my favorite characters.
I am really looking forward this!! I can't wait to see Bree & Roger's storyline!!!! I am number #1 on the list at my library!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaela0 (View Post)
Has anyone watched Mockingjay part 1 yet?

Spoiler:
I watched Mockingjay this past Friday. and tbh I'm not sure how I feel about it. I thought it was good. The makers of the movie did a really great job staying true to the story, which made me really happy! The last 30/45 minutes of the movie had me on the edge of my seat with anticipation though!!

Spoiler:
Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Addicted Fan

I had my binge-watch of Outlander's first 8 episodes yesterday and today and man ... I tied together so many things that I didn't even know to look for on the first pass. I'm pretty impressed with RDM, that's all I'll say. He's set everything up to be pretty consistent for seasons (and books) to come, with some interesting character seeding twists in there, too.

One thing that stood out more than others because I watched 106/108 in close proximity was a parallel between Black Jack Randall and Frank that I missed on first viewing. The conversation Frank has with Rev Wakefield where the Rev is trying to get him to go home and stop looking for Claire, he talks about the darkness and how Frank has a choice. The language is really similar to the conversation Claire has with Black Jack Randall in 106, where she says she has hope for his soul and he ends up punching her in the gut and saying something like, "I dwell in darkness, madam."

All the awards ----> Tobias Menzies.

Yay for more reading! I'm excited to see what you think of Drums, Heather. I think I'm first on the waiting list for whatever book 5 is ... For whatever reason, I can't think of the name right now.

I'm going to go put clothes away ...
Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Elite Fan

I strongly dislike spoiler cuts, but I am thankful they are there and I am being strong... or whatever.

I am binge-reading the entire YA section at my library. That isn't a problem, right?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Master Fan

That entire YA section huh?! I still need to read The Fault in Our Stars at some point.
I have read a lot of YA this year though. I read the Lunar Chronicles - Cinder, Scarlet Cress (looking forward to reading Winter sometime when it is published), and the Delirium series. And I reread The Giver.

But back to Outlander Do you think they will cast different people for the future seasons?! For Jamie and Claire I mean. Obviously there will be others cast as new characters and such. I mean 20 years (or maybe more passes) I really hope not Sm and Cait are Jamie and Claire!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Fan

Rachel, binge reading the entire YA section of your library sounds pretty amazing

I got my copy of Drums of Autumn today!!!! I can't wait to start reading it!! The synopsis on the back already has me intrigued!
I don't think they will recast Jamie & Claire. The producers of the show should know that they hit it big with Sam & Cait!! I mean Sam is exactly what I picture when I read about Jamie. Sam IS Jamie. And I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Claire!

I still haven't read The Fault in Our Stars, or seen the movie
Old 11-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Master Fan

I still get sad when I remember TFIOS but it's a pretty good book/movie

Toby Regbo
Old 11-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Someone told me there was an Outlander thread here so I had to check it out for myself! Accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_shiningstar (View Post)

But back to Outlander Do you think they will cast different people for the future seasons?! For Jamie and Claire I mean. Obviously there will be others cast as new characters and such. I mean 20 years (or maybe more passes) I really hope not Sm and Cait are Jamie and Claire!
No. they are not. In the first novel, Jamie is 24-ish and Claire is 28, so it was a clear choice to choose two actors who are mid 30's. There should be a lot less aging up within the first three seasons. The makeup department will be working overtime that's for sure. But it really shouldn't be a noticeable factor until book 6,7, and 8.

Cait and Sam's age are within a 10 yr window of the first 4 books (thus seasons) so it should be fine as is for now.

Hope that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategrinstead (View Post)
One thing that stood out more than others because I watched 106/108 in close proximity was a parallel between Black Jack Randall and Frank that I missed on first viewing. The conversation Frank has with Rev Wakefield where the Rev is trying to get him to go home and stop looking for Claire, he talks about the darkness and how Frank has a choice. The language is really similar to the conversation Claire has with Black Jack Randall in 106, where she says she has hope for his soul and he ends up punching her in the gut and saying something like, "I dwell in darkness, madam."

All the awards ----> Tobias Menzies.

Yay for more reading! I'm excited to see what you think of Drums, Heather. I think I'm first on the waiting list for whatever book 5 is ... For whatever reason, I can't think of the name right now.
Yep! STARZ has been going all out promoting the cast and Tobias to the Golden Globes. Cast has been attending events and pre-screenings and full page advertisements have been purchased on the cast and productions behalf.

Glad to see STARZ actively trying to promote the crew to the nomination committee.

Hopefully they get some nominations. They really deserve it.

BTW - Book #5 title: "The Fiery Cross"

Last edited by CityGal; 11-29-2014 at 12:46 PM
Old 11-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Someone told me there was an Outlander thread here so I had to check it out for myself! Accurate!
Glad you found us! Welcome to the unofficial Outlander thread.

Sheila, I read TFIOS but didn't watch the film. I thought the book was good, but maybe a tad overrated?

Kate, what were your thoughts on The Selection? Worth reading or no?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Yep! STARZ has been going all out promoting the cast and Tobias to the Golden Globes. Cast has been attending events and pre-screenings and full page advertisements have been purchased on the cast and productions behalf.

Glad to see STARZ actively trying to promote the crew to the nomination committee.

Hopefully they get some nominations. They really deserve it.

BTW - Book #5 title: "The Fiery Cross"
Very much agree on the bolded. And I remembered the book's title as soon as I left the forum. Just had a moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
Kate, what were your thoughts on The Selection? Worth reading or no?
I actually enjoyed it. It's really simple, but I thought it had some interesting pieces to it. Plus, I read it in about six hours, so it was a nice palate cleanser. The middle book of the trilogy just got set aside for me at the library, so I'll pick it up when I get back. Not sure how they messed it up as a pilot, though. Reading, I easily picked up on how they could have made a full season out of the first book without drastically altering the plot (which is apparently what they did with the second pilot attempt). Not sure why they had such a time with it. Would probably make a better movie/TV show than a book.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Master Fan

I didn't realize you had read The Selection, Kate. That is also on my to read list.
I'm still continuing to make progress in Voyayger - except the actual book is due back today at the library. I may return it tomorrow if I get out and I can't renew it. But here is hoping it can be renewed! I like to be able to read the real book, and listen to it also. Though not at the same time.

CityGal - Welcome to the unofficial Outlander thread.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
Sheila, I read TFIOS but didn't watch the film. I thought the book was good, but maybe a tad overrated?
I think I liked the film better than the book, the two lead actors really nailed their performances. The book is good but it didn't make me get as emotional as the movie.

CityGal Welcome to our Outlander thread!

Toby Regbo
Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Elite Fan

You've sold me on The Selection, Kate. I'll snag it when I bring back my current library stack.

I'm currently reading A Brief History of Time, because why not? I enjoy having my brain turned to mush by physics.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 (View Post)
CityGal Welcome to our Outlander thread!
Well Mary is known as the Queen of the Scots. So it's all Scotland and men in kilts. So it's all good.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Elite Fan

^And there's a lot of info about Mary's descendants in Dragonfly In Amber. Reign is practically a prequel to Outlander.