^Current tally:

5 - 3
8 - 5
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon tart (View Post)
Ahhh, I'd wondered since it was technically a merging of UPN with The WB. Thw WB really had some great shows, GG, Everwood, VM, etc. The more urban skew of UPN seems completely gone. Well, I guess the more family orientated stuff from The WB is too.
dawn Ostroff was the idiot who couldn't get alexis/lauren to sign. UPN was owned by CBS. The merger was a good idea but unfortunately they hired the worst network head. She canceled all the black/urban shows and the game got picked up by BET and ended up getting triple the ratings. They promoted the marginalization of POC. Basically a nightmare. It's good that she got fired imo. But, Mark is so into making it the Comic-Con network that he cares little about nurturing quality.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

great idea with the survivor quotes!

Icon by: sourburst
Old 01-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
dawn Ostroff was the idiot who couldn't get alexis/lauren to sign. UPN was owned by CBS. The merger was a good idea but unfortunately they hired the worst network head. She canceled all the black/urban shows and the game got picked up by BET and ended up getting triple the ratings. They promoted the marginalization of POC. Basically a nightmare. It's good that she got fired imo. But, Mark is so into making it the Comic-Con network that he cares little about nurturing quality.
Gotcha. It is so odd to me that Greg Berlanti, who seems to be churning out comic based shows these days is the man behind Everwood. Loved that show.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon tart (View Post)
Gotcha. It is so odd to me that Greg Berlanti, who seems to be churning out comic based shows these days is the man behind Everwood. Loved that show.
I know. I loved Everwood and Arrow is well-written.
5-3
4-1
8-5
Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I know. I loved Everwood and Arrow is well-written.
5-3
4-1
8-5
I do love Arrow, and it is well done. It's just so different from Everwood. When I think of say JJ Abrams there's always a scifi/action element running through all his shows, and recycling of themes from older stuff too, even Felecity. I'm never surprised when 'Bad Robot' comes on at the end of shows he's involved with. Greg Berlanit's current stuff seems so different from his earlier stuff. If I didn't get the old style tv at the end I'd have no clue.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

JJ's best was Alias, IMO. Until it went off the rails, that is.

I never watched Everwood and I don't watch Arrow. I just can't do the CW's version of superheroes. In fact, I can't deal with any network TV versions.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)

I never watched Everwood and I don't watch Arrow. I just can't do the CW's version of superheroes. In fact, I can't deal with any network TV versions.
That pretty much describes Felicity. I'll always love it because it was a truly character-driven a show that avoided the major bed-hopping of others. Everwood/Brothers and Sisters are all so DIFFERENT from the comic shows.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

Flove Alias, Fringe is also pretty fabulous. Syd & Vaughn & the SpyFam are what got me into fandom in the first place. I was so obsessed and needed somewhere to talk about it because none of my friends were into my obsession.

Arrow is the only superhero show I've ever watched. Really enjoy it, just don't feel a need to talk about it as it all seems to get down into the DC Comic weeds and I'm just not versed, I take it as it is.

Everwood is excellent and well worth watching if it's on Netflix. I love Bright & Hannah, but Ephram & Amy were also awesome and angsted so prettily. That show & GG really found some great young talent, all four of them are on successful shows and all of Rory's boyfriends have had a lot of succes post GG. Matt Czuchry in particular, the whole very successful & critically acclaimed combo, I'm very happy to say.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Elite Fan

Fringe is the best!!! I just don't really credit it to JJ.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Fringe is the best!!! I just don't really credit it to JJ.
Well, no. But it's remarkable how many of his themes are in that show. Unlike say Almost Human, which does not feel like a JJ show, but I can see how it came out of his shop, Fringe feels very Abramesque.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Elite Fan

I couldn't even make it all the way through the pilot of Almost Human.

PS- any more quote survivor votes out there?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I couldn't even make it all the way through the pilot of Almost Human.
I'm still kinda semi watching it, I really like Michael Ealy as Dorian, but it definitely hasn't grabbed me. Nothing has really this year except Reign. Agents of SHIELD was a massive disappointment, I gave TTP a shot since it was Berlanti, it's okay, but I think the guy that plays John is so much more interesting than the lead, it's unbalanced or something. It just doesn't quite gel. I don't think I tried anything else this year, maybe I did, can't remember.

Reign was my throw away, couldn't decide if I wanted to watch it or not, watched the pilot on a whim, decided to find the next ep a couple of days after it aired, watched ep 3 and it became the first new thing programmed into my DVR when I got home.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

I knew I was going to watch Reign as soon as I first heard about it. But I didn't pay attention to any of the marketing or anything, so I had no idea it revolved around a triangle until I crashed into the Frary threads a few eps in. If I had been watching from my bubble, I may have never figured out there was a triangle, tbh.

I started watching a number of new shows at the top of the season, but gave up on them all, as is usually the case. Reign reigns alone.

I can't even talk about my disappointment in SHIELD because I am both a massive Whedon fan as well as a massive Marvel fan. The show does justice to neither of those brands. It is so beige and I couldn't care less about any of the characters. I haven't deleted it from my dvr only because of a sense of loyalty I feel to Joss and anything having to do with him, but disappointment isn't a strong enough word for my feelings in that regard.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Loyal Fan

I loved Fringe. So obsessed with it for awhile -- mainly S2 and S3. Thought Polivia was a beautiful ship. I watched Alias until the bitter end but definitely not a strong finish. Loved Syd/Vaughn. Talk about great chemistry.

I really have no desire to watch TTP, but I find the guy who plays John very sexy and intriguing. Almost enough to watch, but not quite. Not really a fan of either of the Amells.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread