Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Elite Fan

They can overlap but I think that's where the blindspots develop.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:46 AM
Master Fan

^
Blind spots, or a deeper game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
Agree on their female characters. I had a Grimm magazine that had an interview with Bitsie Tulloch that I believe took place in early season two or so, (I think it was the #1 issue of 2 magazines) in which she mentioned this very thing due to the showrunners having worked on Buffy - strong female characters like those on Buffy and how she wanted to prepare for that for possibility for Juliette. She seemed excited about that.

Unfortunately, I feel Juliette, along with Adalind, had some of the worst writing in the show. I think Trubel's initial pre-HW arc was the best, perhaps because of, and not in spite of, the span of episodes she was in. Meanwhile, Buffy, Willow and Faith all had such strong development and character arcs.
Interesting points. I agree most vividly on Juliette. Her character was treated very poorly by the writers. Ironically, to me her breakup with Nick (and then her death) very much felt like a breakup between Tulloch and her own character. Like the actress was tired of this character and was looking forward to a change. Also, I agree on original Trubel being very strong. I probably wasn't the only one who was thinking of Dawn's character / Eliza Dushku here and there. The most amazing turnaround for me was Adalind's character....I never thought that I'd buy her changes in character. But I did, probably due to the quality of the acting.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Little_Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:49 AM
MST Manager

This is a very interesting and thought-provoking discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheshireKitten (View Post)
Storytelling and character development - season long arcs and the way characters grew and changed and were explored. Those are general criticisms - I used Buffy because IMO, it is arguably the best fantasy show made when it comes to those things.

I don't mean to say they needed to do exactly what Buffy did, but that the strengths that Buffy had were those that Grimm lacked and kept it from being as good as it could've been.
I am thinking that, if you compare other/all fantasy shows to Buffy, they will not make the grade.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Elite Fan

Blindspots can occur when the goal is to get to point B from point A in the plot arc... Juliette is an example of this, they didn't know what to do with her after she found out about Wessen so they had her Hexenbeisted and then turned into Eve because the show likes the actress... I felt Eve ended up being a stronger character than post Juliette getting her memory back.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugjess (View Post)
Blindspots can occur when the goal is to get to point B from point A in the plot arc... Juliette is an example of this, they didn't know what to do with her after she found out about Wessen so they had her Hexenbeisted and then turned into Eve because the show likes the actress... I felt Eve ended up being a stronger character than post Juliette getting her memory back.
I was not a fan of them going there with the character. I do not think it was necessary. Juliette could have been a stronger character if they wanted her to be. They did not have to turn her into a mortal enemy of Nick's to develop her.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Elite Fan

They could have had an interesting arc where Nick and Juliette grow apart of her new lifestyle... Or something... But the jumping off the deep end was not necessary.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Master Fan

Well, drama has always been important, not only in Sci-Fi shows. But switching characters from good to evil and vice versa has a big tradition in Sci-Fi, of course. Just think of Angel and Angelus, for instance. Usually, it's a great plot device for exploring not only the characters themselves, but also the other characters who have been affected by this change. That's what I meant before: we were not really shown how Nick was affected by Juliette's change. Nor did we find out how he felt by her changing back into the character that he was engaged to. There could have been great character development. But I accept that this was not what the writers/showrunners wanted.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
They could have had an interesting arc where Nick and Juliette grow apart of her new lifestyle... Or something... But the jumping off the deep end was not necessary.

I completely agree.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Elite Fan

Drama for the sake of drama is dumb... Cause it doesn't change anything... Drama resulting in character development I'm usually okay with.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:20 AM
Master Fan

I agree. Yet networks like the CW love senseless drama and angst. Their Sci-Fi/Superhero shows have become very difficult to watch, imo. It all started with their 'makeover' of Smallville.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:21 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
I agree. Yet networks like the CW love senseless drama and angst. Their Sci-Fi/Superhero shows have become very difficult to watch, imo. It all started with their 'makeover' of Smallville.
And, triangles! They are obsessed with love triangles.

Most of them make me shudder because it is just unnecessary angst and usually has me rooting for NONE of them.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Master Fan

LOL, I completely forgot about their ridiculous obsession for triangles!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Elite Fan

I'm in love with you, but I still have feelings for that person who is also in love with me! Who do I pick? Usually the unemployed dumbass because he's the bad boy who is trying to reform.

I liked that on Grimm, when there was a triangle going, they didn't really go back and forth... They dealt with the relationships like grownups and while there may have been some residual feelings it didn't stop them from moving forward. As Eve said, "No regrets."
Old 04-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Elite Fan

I'm in love with you, but I still have feelings for that person who is also in love with me! Who do I pick? Usually the unemployed dumbass because he's the bad boy who is trying to reform.

I liked that on Grimm, when there was a triangle going, they didn't really go back and forth... They dealt with the relationships like grownups and while there may have been some residual feelings it didn't stop them from moving forward. As Eve said, "No regrets."
Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 AM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
LOL, I completely forgot about their ridiculous obsession for triangles!!!
Quote:
Exactly.

It makes my head hurt just thinking about it.