Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Passionate Fan

Hi Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrios (View Post)
Blue and orange are complementary colors, so that will probably be nice together.

It's set in a field or it's field themed?
It is set in a field. The reception will be at a basement wine cellar-ish Italian restaurant. It sounds low key and gorgeous.
I love when folks tell me about their venues whether or not I'm invited, it's all good.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks, Cathy!

Patty, that sounds like a fine way to celebrate a wedding!

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Master Fan

Well if you go to the wedding outside prepare for bugs. Take a light jacket/sweater, it could get cooler or rain. My middle sister got married in a field/forest. And it was bug city, plus as it got dark the heavens opened up and poured. Though it's good they are having the reception inside.

Ok I need some advice, as you guys know my mom gave me her old car for my birthday. And since I'm no longer buying a new car I decided to get a laptop for writing and video editing something that I really loved at one time.

I went to best buy and found one that fit all that I needed for the editing. Big screen, lots of ram, huge memory, great graphics card, strong processor. But it's $999, I don't know if that includes the warranty and of course that doesn't include buying a case to keep it in. My best friend told me I should be practical and get something a little lesser quality to save money. Be an adult and practical. And it bugs me that she's making me feel guilty for wanting to pursue something that would be a treat for myself. When I haven't done a treat for me in a long time. I was really excited about this and now I think maybe I shouldn't even bother.

Should I buy it since it's my money? Or should I keep looking for something cheaper? Or should I just pack it all in?

Last edited by cherrios; 05-28-2015 at 11:24 PM
Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Anna, question: did you save up cash to buy a laptop or would you have to put it on a credit card?
I don't think you should buy any old laptop if it lacks sufficient power for the video editing you want to do; but I personally would postpone buying one at all until I saved enough to pay cash.

Living with your parents as you do, no car payment and having a reliable car now, you could set your mind to saving the money in no time at all.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Master Fan

I was going to use my tax refund that was generous amount to buy it actually. I have the funds, it's just a giant purchase. And it's always good to have money in the bank in case something comes up. Especially if I ever want my own place. But I really wanted to get something for me, that I have wanted for years.

I've learned my lesson with credit cards, not unless it's an absolute emergency and probably not even then. I would only buy it if I had the cash.

Last edited by cherrios; 05-29-2015 at 09:29 AM
Old 05-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well if you go to the wedding outside prepare for bugs. Take a light jacket/sweater, it could get cooler or rain. My middle sister got married in a field/forest. And it was bug city, plus as it got dark the heavens opened up and poured. Though it's good they are having the reception inside.

Ok I need some advice, as you guys know my mom gave me her old car for my birthday. And since I'm no longer buying a new car I decided to get a laptop for writing and video editing something that I really loved at one time.

I went to best buy and found one that fit all that I needed for the editing. Big screen, lots of ram, huge memory, great graphics card, strong processor. But it's $999, I don't know if that includes the warranty and of course that doesn't include buying a case to keep it in. My best friend told me I should be practical and get something a little lesser quality to save money. Be an adult and practical. And it bugs me that she's making me feel guilty for wanting to pursue something that would be a treat for myself. When I haven't done a treat for me in a long time. I was really excited about this and now I think maybe I shouldn't even bother.

Should I buy it since it's my money? Or should I keep looking for something cheaper? Or should I just pack it all in?
If you want to use it for video editing, you should buy a computer that meets those needs. It sounds like you have the funds to do that. I would shop around a bit more if you haven't.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with Anne.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann357 (View Post)
If you want to use it for video editing, you should buy a computer that meets those needs. It sounds like you have the funds to do that. I would shop around a bit more if you haven't.
I have been looking around for a while. It's the first one I found that really fits all my needs. I still plan to look around, I really don't want to spend that much either. But if I want to do editing and do it properly, I need a large hard drive, processor, and a good graphics card. Most laptops don't have cd/dvd drives anymore. Which I do need. And if I want to watch dvds in bed as well.

But everyone in my life seems so against it, so maybe I should just forget about it. I mean when would I have the time, it would be a lot of work. And it would probably just be a waste of money.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Anna, the decision has to be yours in the end. It isn't up to anyone else in your life, including us.
Your money, your choice sweetie.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I have been looking around for a while. It's the first one I found that really fits all my needs. I still plan to look around, I really don't want to spend that much either. But if I want to do editing and do it properly, I need a large hard drive, processor, and a good graphics card. Most laptops don't have cd/dvd drives anymore. Which I do need. And if I want to watch dvds in bed as well.

But everyone in my life seems so against it, so maybe I should just forget about it. I mean when would I have the time, it would be a lot of work. And it would probably just be a waste of money.
I agree with Sherry that you should do what feels right to you.

The price you mentioned seems reasonable for what you need for the videos. I had a really nice laptop with a great screen to edit photos. When it "died" I bought the one I have now...that doesn't allow me to do that anymore. I tell you this because I often think that I should have saved a bit longer to buy a replacement that I would have been happier with. Either way a computer is a big purchase and you will want to be happy with it.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Good advice, Anne.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Master Fan

How has you week been Sherry? Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?

I will be going to a wedding tomorrow. It is 2 hours away so it will be nearly an all day "event" for me.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't have plans for the weekend, I'm happy to say. It's gonna be hot and humid.

The wedding is tomorrow! Long drive, hope you won't have to go alone and that the new dress is comfortable.
Have lots of fun!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Master Fan

No plans sounds good.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Master Fan

Sherry and Anne thank you for the advice. You have both been really helpful.

I have decided what I am going to do. I am going to take the money and pay off my small amount of credit card debt first. Work my butt off and save up and buy the nicer, though a bit more spendy model. Honestly the two I saw at best buy are cheaper than some I have seen online in my research. Some of the computers I have looked at are two grand or more and I'm not going that far.

And maybe by the time I have saved up, windows 10 (I'm not big on windows 8) will be out and I will find a computer that has all the qualifications I need, but will be cheaper. I'm trying to stay positive.

Enjoy the wedding, splurge on cake, dancing, and fun. I love weddings, they are a celebration of starting a new life together. I love in Indian weddings they have lots and lots of colors for their weddins. Whenever I get married, I don't think I will do a white dress. Maybe an off white with some color in the skirt or top part.

If your doing a long drive, I would perhaps take your slippers or some comfortable shoes to drive home in. Your feet are already going to be sore from the festivities. And if you have a long drive, you might want to have something comfortable to drive home in.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread