Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 AM
Loyal Fan

It was a show only change too, in the books she just dies while they are wandering the Red Waste after Drogo dies. The remaining dothraki like Irri and Jhiqui have kind of faded into the background which is weird, but IIRC they are still alive at least.
Kinky-Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

i generally missed the Dothraki by the end and Dany's relation/friendship/alliance towards them. Missandei did make up for the lack of the Dothraki - but still.
LxieGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky-Cousin (View Post)
It was a show only change too, in the books she just dies while they are wandering the Red Waste after Drogo dies. The remaining dothraki like Irri and Jhiqui have kind of faded into the background which is weird, but IIRC they are still alive at least.
There should be rules forbidding to change anything from the soruce material for film or show adaption, except of leaving things out for time reasons.
lg238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's for sure!

Lauren Conrad Campaign Lauren Conrad Celebrity
Leighton Meester
Firecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:57 AM
Loyal Fan

I guess there's a couple of changes I do like. I prefer the characters ages in the show vs bookfor example. But it's sad in this case that one of Dany's first actual friends is a traitor, the other is strangled by the former, and the third one is either dead too or has vanished (not sure what happened to Jhiqui). These were the people who stayed by Dany's side when the rest of the khalasar left when Drogo died and it seems D&D kinda forgot about them...
Old 07-01-2020, 04:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

i also don't mind changes if they hlep the story. no book can be filmed exactly and 100% acucrate. on screen changes have to be done.

with that said,, D&D kinda forgot almost everything GOT stood for
Old 07-01-2020, 04:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Some changes make sense, others not so much. With a complex saga like ASOIAF it was clear they had to make changes and cuts. However, the end is so disappointing, I wonder if the books were heading towards the same direction...I am almost sure they did.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxieGrey (View Post)
i also don't mind changes if they hlep the story. no book can be filmed exactly and 100% acucrate. on screen changes have to be done.

with that said,, D&D kinda forgot almost everything GOT stood for
Actually you don't, or can you point out one change that was really necessary? I mean cutting short is one thing, bc you can't incorporate everything, but changing the actual plot was never necessary as far as I know. It simply happened bc the writer or director wanted something different. Like that doreah change served no purpose.

Last edited by lg238; 07-03-2020 at 09:39 AM
lg238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

may we meet again. | Dave
Jen's Herald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg238 (View Post)
Actually you don't, or can you point out one change that was really necessary? I men cutting short is one thing, bc you can't incorporate everything, but changing the actual plot was never necessary as far as I know. It simply happened bc the writer or director wanted something different. Like that doreah change served no purpose.
there was one thing with Young Griff in the books who is Dany's blood relative or something. i didn't like that storyline at all and was glad they cut it in the tv show or let's say - Euron felt like a replacement for Young Griff. this is a change from the book i appreciate. another one is Catelyn who came back as Lady Stoneheart in the books which i never understood the reason behind. another thing i liked that they left this part out.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:05 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

I was never interested in the books - they are too long for me
cherrypie12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

well now we have plenty of time to catch up since they are never going to be finished i guess
Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

I am not interested since it's being said that GRRM told D&D the end of the books and they wrote the script accordingly to GRRM's vision - so Dany ends up as a villain and dead anyway. No thanks.
cherrypie12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

that's why i am also in no hurry and read spoilers what will happen in the books if they are ever being published. the only hope might be that GRRM explains somehow more realisitcally than what we saw on tv.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:00 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxieGrey (View Post)
there was one thing with Young Griff in the books who is Dany's blood relative or something. i didn't like that storyline at all and was glad they cut it in the tv show or let's say - Euron felt like a replacement for Young Griff. this is a change from the book i appreciate. another one is Catelyn who came back as Lady Stoneheart in the books which i never understood the reason behind. another thing i liked that they left this part out.
Young Griff is supposedly Aegon Targaryen, the child of Rhaegar and Elia, who was switched out with some random baby that got killed by the mountain in his place. There's a good chance he isn't really though, but a descentant of the Blackfyre's who are a spin-off house from the Targs started by king Aegon V's "bastard" child, who are basically exiled in Essos which is where Young Griff appears too.

I wasn't super into that story but I have a feeling it was meant to be important to the books. Young Griff is likely going to be a threat to first Cersei and then Dany with a Dance of the Dragons 2, I think it would at least make Dany's feeling of being unloved in Westeros more relevant. The show did take the story of Jon Connington, Griff's guardian, and splice it into Jorah's (that's why Jorah got greyscale, it's Jon Connington who gets it in the books).

I am still not interested in a "Woman suddenly goes hysterical over a man and has to be put down like a dog with rabies by said man" and I don't know how Dany can unite the Dothraki under her cause, meet Tyrion (GRRM said that would happen late in TWOW), sort out the Mereen drama, travel to Westeros, meet Jon, have a developed romance with Jon, have a developed and explainable mental breakdown, and a believable descent into madness...and somewhere in this help fight in the Long Night...in just two books. If it's going to be more of the same rushed nonsense I am not interested. Also I am still mad I can talk about ASOIAF history like it's real because of how much reading I did, when the story is going to end so stupidly (or most likely never be finished)

Also I really hope Jon isn't actually called Aegon, because naming a kid after his newly-murdered half brother is disturbing. I hope that was a show thing.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top