Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Moderator Manager

"The Well" / 1.08 Episode Discussion

"The Well" / 1.08 - Episode Discussion

Airing 8:00/7:00c, Tuesday, November 19, on ABC

Episode Description
In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel’s “Thor: The Dark World,”
Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces–one of which threatens to destroy
a member of the team.

Guest starring Peter MacNicol as Professor Elliot Randolph, Michael Graziadei as Jakob Nystrom,
Erin Way as Petra Larsen, Toby Wilson as Neils, Alex Neustaedter as Maynard and Sylvia Brindis as Elena.
“The Well” was written by Monica Owusu-Breen and directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Sneak Peek #1 [Opening Scene]
Sneak Peek #2

Promo

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by gingerly; 11-18-2013 at 10:33 PM
Old 11-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Elite Fan

Gah, I didn't see the movie yet... totally meant too, maybe we'll go this week.

Ep looks good.
If you love someone you gotta make a sound
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the thread! I'm debating on whether or not I want to see Thor 2 or just read the plot on wikipedia.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Moderator Manager

Tbh, without giving away too much from Thor 2 and the spoilers I've read, I don't think you really need to see the movie but I may be wrong.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Elite Fan

It'd probably help for a better understanding, but I don't seem them making it so you had to see the movie, cause that just wouldn't be right.
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I doubt they'd do that. I just hope people don't think, "Well, haven't seen Thor 2 so there's no point in watching this."

Added the opening scene to the OP.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for adding that, Nic.

And it's sweeps so it's expected that networks will be doing big promos for their shows.

Also, Peter MacNicol! I haven't seen him for quite sometime.

Mods: I'll leave the opening of upcoming episode discussion threads to both of you so you can do what you want with the OP.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks Lindsay.

Quote:
And it's sweeps so it's expected that networks will be doing big promos for their shows.
Hopefully! And I'm hoping the Thor tie-in has people interested.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Moderator Manager

I watched the opening scene posted in the OP and this is all I can say:

Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Elite Fan

"You're our little monkey."

I love that Ward is making almost-flirty jokes with both Fitz and Simmons.

Added the second sneak peek to the OP. Very interesting. Guess we know what the title means now.

Last edited by gingerly; 11-18-2013 at 10:35 PM
Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

hee. love sneak peeks.
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

That was fun. I haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but the only thing from the movie that's relevant to the episode is that an alien ship crashed in London, which sets up the opening scene. But that scene isn't really connected to the rest of the episode, except to lay out the whole Asgardian angle, so...

Ward and Melinda May...didn't see that one coming.

And okay, so, Dollhouse reference...does that lend credence to the theory that Coulson is a Life Model Decoy?

Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 PM
New Fan

I've watched Thor this past weekend, and, after watching this episode. I think it wouldn't have made a difference whether or not I did. All I really need to know is already provided by the trailer: Thor comes back to Earth--chaos ensues. Oh, and there's a big baddie.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the episode, pretend the next part doesn't exist.

What I really want to discuss is Ward and May.

So, I love that they've given us a new information about Ward to get to know him better. Sure, he's all serious, a loner, and, dare I say, grumpy, and up until this episode, I just passed it off as he's trained to be like that--which isn't a bad reason, but it's not the best. This episode, for me, showed the human side of Ward. We've seen it crack in the past couple of episodes with him saving Simmons and getting along with Fitz, but this episode showed us a big turning point in Ward's life that signaled his transition from being a normal person to, in a way, a robot. And as painful that was for Ward, I'm glad that we got to see his vulnerabilities and his motivation for why he's taken on a big brother role and take care of everyone on the team.

Now, for May, I'm sure we've all been curious as to what had happened to her in the past that she went from a ninja to a paper-pusher. And, if I took the promos right, I think it's a great transition to next week's episode, which would uncover someone from her past.

But what really got me this episode is the end scene.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

I read an article some time ago that criticized how the characters of this show was set up; the pairings were obvious, they said, FitzSimmons, Skye and Ward, and Coulson and May, and there's not really anything exciting about that. But, MAN, I think the writers of this show just took that comment and threw it back to their face!

I mean, from the beginning, we've seen Ward looking up to May. He put her in a pedestal. I think, he was okay working with 3 people uncleared for field duty, one of them being a traitor, because he got to work with The Cavalry--as long as she's there, the team will be okay because there's someone besides him that he can rely on in the field. They have a bond similar to FitzSimmons; those two bonded because of how they're both very young, but very gifted in their respective fields, and, in the same way, Ward and May have a bond because they're really the only two on the team who are trained for and have seen combat.

But I didn't really think too much of it until THAT scene when May was looking miserable, holding a bottle of alcohol, going into her room, and Ward following her in. Was I the only one who went, "Oh ****! They're totally gonna do it!"? Because I really think there's a possibility they are, and this could either be a good thing or a very, very bad thing.

So... yep. That's it.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Elite Fan

Hi there, Wild Pikachu!

Quote:
And okay, so, Dollhouse reference...does that lend credence to the theory that Coulson is a Life Model Decoy?
It could, but I'm not sure. I think it was just a reference. A lovely one at that.

Really good episode. I liked the misdirection with Ward. I think we were led to believe he was the one in the well, but he was the one helpless forced to watch by his sociopath brother (until he decided to do something about it. I wonder what happened after he threw the rope down?).

The Norse mythology and twist with the Asgardian were very cool and very well done. And the rage stick was awesome. I like that there was no quick fix for Ward and May either (Sidenote: May with the rage stick, though), and this is something they'll have to deal with... with booze and possibly other things.

Speaking of, I don't know how I feel about that? It'd be totally unexpected, but I'm not sure if they really only just drank for the night or what. I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Some funny lines and character moments in there. Mostly Fitz, Simmons, Skye, and Coulson, as per usual.

I really liked the scene with Ward and Simmons in the beginning of the episode, too. <3

What I didn't like were the villians. They didn't really stand out to me, and it would've been fascinating if they dedicated an arc to them, rather than a few members randomly popping up throughout the episode.

Last edited by gingerly; 11-19-2013 at 11:17 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Moderator Manager

Another good episode, and I will sound off because that episode deserves a mouthful.

So I was right to think that you really do not need to watch Thor 2 to watch and understand this ep (let's blame this all on sweeps). The only relevance is that this episode happened after Thor 2 so it has to be in London where Thor 2 mostly took place. Having seen the movie, I like the start of the ep because it picked up where it left off from the movie with that mess and SHIELD of course collecting items.

Admittedly, I didn't feel as connected to Ward's backstory. I did like we were cleverly led to believe that he was the one drowning in the Well but was actually the one up looking down and saved the drowning boy in the end (on the side, cute young Ward though ). I still don't understand how May can channel all her rage holding the Asgardian staff and Ward rages on? Perhaps that will lead us to an upcoming backstory on her which looks to be on the next ep?

I also like the twist that the professor was Asgardian. Loved the part where Coulson had to look for his heart, had a bit of "ick" when he just put his hand inside his chest. I have to remember that the professor wasn't really human. I also like the serious tone of this episode and the heavy Norse mythology, I got lost in it so it worked.

And lastly the shock of this episode, Ward & May. Did the writers just threw us a bone? Tbh, I kind of love it. The show has been getting a lot of crap about how predictable the couples on the show are and I kind of welcome this. For all we know they probably just talked BUT it did make sense that they have a strong connection/bond based on past experiences, sob life stories, being good in combat and they also always drink booze together. How did I not see this? I have a feeling that this is going on for quite sometime now but we're just not aware of it.

Ditto Nic on the "villains" if we can call them that. I didn't feel they were evil enough and I thought it was too easy that the professor got stabbed seeing as he was Asgardian.

Before I forget, that end part with Coulson...gah. How long are they going to tease us about this!? They're really hinting big that he's a LMD which is what everyone's thinking.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 11-20-2013 at 03:32 AM