Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Episode Discussion: 4x08 "The Laws of Inferno Dynamics" November 6 (mid-season finale)

4x08
the laws of inferno dynamics

“The Laws of Inferno Dynamics” – S.H.I.E.L.D. and Ghost Rider find themselves unlikely allies when the lives of all of Los Angeles hang in the balance.

Guest starring are John Hannah as Holden Radcliffe, Natalia Cordova-Buckley as Elena “Yo-Yo” Rodriguez, Jason O’Mara as Director Jeffrey Mace, Gabriel Luna as Robbie Reyes, Mallory Jansen as Aida, Patrick Cavanaugh as Burrows, Jose Zuniga as Eli Morrow, Blaise Miller as Agent Nathanson, Coleen Sullivan as reporter and Steve Suh as Peng.

“The Laws of Inferno Dynamics” was written by Paul Zbyszewski and directed by Kevin Tancharoen.

[Promo Photos & Sneak Peeks]
Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So sorry this thread is late, guys!!

I'm off to watch the episode now so I'll come post after

ETA: AAHHH

To be honest, I was pretty bored for the first half of the episode. I could have done with a shorter version of Eli's speech, I really didn't care for his sob story but then once things really started to get going I was completely hooked and especially the last couple minutes

Man oh man, has Aida had May this entire time?? Since they brought her back from the dead and Aida cared for her? So that entire time May wasn't really May/a LMD instead? Or was it just since Aida read the Darkhold? Either way... Good incentive to rewatch and see if I notice anything!

I'm so happy Daisy is back in SHIELD. The scene with the whole gang at the end was really cute, I've missed moments like that. I liked all the interactions this episode (MACK AND YOYO!!!! Fiiiinally ), even if I'd still prefer to have a lot more stuff like that, every bit they do give us is awesome. I really liked seeing Fitz and Daisy together cause the last real scene they shared together, Fitz was still upset with her leaving. And I liked the Coulson and May interactions so much... until we found out she's not actually May also it was about time Coulson and Mace really opened up to each other. And of course most of all, Coulson and Daisy.

I'm sure Robbie will be back but I kind of hope he won't be until at least the end of the season, maybe next season even. I like him but I am ready for the show to focus on something else for a bit now.

Also how about those special effects???? Really impressed this ep.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot I wanted to mention... But ahh, I'm already sad it's the hiatus very glad it's not as long as last year though!

Last edited by indigo sunrise; 12-07-2016 at 10:17 AM
Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

For a moment I was afraid it would be like 'oh god, Aida felt pain cause by humans, so now she hates humans'. I sincerily hope it will be a little more complicated than that But daaamn, May..

Part of the episode was indeed pretty boring. However, I did feel like I started thinking 'oh god, this and that is happening now', and then it turned out to be quite different than I thought, so that's a good thing. Like, I was worried they'd let Daisy break her arm, faint, or whatever (been there, done that), but then it turned out she needed to just 'release' all of the 'quake' energy she had absorbed, and that jump scene was both SO wrong and funny and awesome at the same time

Group moment, YAY! We need more of those. And Yo-yo and Mack, YAY! Finally. Now I really suspect that 'Hope' was a former love of his, because of how he reacts to Elena and how he has a difficult time communicating with her.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo sunrise (View Post)
I could have done with a shorter version of Eli's speech, I really didn't care for his sob story
I didn't care for that speech, and I didn't care for all the time the episode spent standing around that box. It just wasn't that interesting.

The whole Ghost Rider arc fell a bit flat for me.

Quote:
Man oh man, has Aida had May this entire time?? Since they brought her back from the dead and Aida cared for her? So that entire time May wasn't really May/a LMD instead? Or was it just since Aida read the Darkhold? Either way... Good incentive to rewatch and see if I notice anything!
I'm assuming that that just happened after AIDA read the Darkhold. I assume that she started building the May LMD last week when we saw her constructing that brain, and then she made the switch when May went to pick up her and Radcliffe in this ep (which is why they had a whole scene where May and Coulson established that she was off to pick them up).

What I don't get though is whether we're supposed to assume May is still alive. I mean, AIDA didn't seem to have a problem killing the other agent, why was she keeping May alive, and if May was alive how would AIDA be able to hide her for very long?

Quote:
I'm so happy Daisy is back in SHIELD.
I'm glad she's back, but the resolution just felt way too easy for me. Was that really all they had to say to make it alright, that she was working with SHIELD the whole time? So why was the fact that she helped SHIELD at the prison such a big deal that the Senator was able to blackmail Mace over it?

Quote:
The scene with the whole gang at the end was really cute, I've missed moments like that. I liked all the interactions this episode (MACK AND YOYO!!!! Fiiiinally ), even if I'd still prefer to have a lot more stuff like that, every bit they do give us is awesome. I really liked seeing Fitz and Daisy together cause the last real scene they shared together, Fitz was still upset with her leaving.
Again though, I felt like them all being together and laughing over beers was too easy. Is everything just okay now, and everything forgiven? I want more follow up, I want to see them talk. I don't want all the pain and angst that we got up to this moment to just be forgotten.

I especially want some follow up with FitzSimmons. I want to know what exactly about AIDA bothers Simmons - it is because Fitz kept her a secret, or that he's humanizing AIDA too much, or that she wanted to be involved, or that she thinks it's a big mistake, or what? And given how much the two don't trust the Director (which at least they spent some time addressing in this ep), what's the plan now? Have they considered just getting out of SHIELD? Fitz was pretty angry with Mace last week, is there no fallout from that?

One thing in the ep that also stood out for me was the new Director finally admitting how hollow his "team that trusts is the team that triumphs" nonsense is. I rolled my eyes when he started whinging about it - it's his own fault that they're not a team and that nobody trusts each other. Trust and respect need to be earned, and he's done nothing to earn it, on the contrary he's done things that are counter-productive to both trust and team building (e.g. convoluted security, lie detectors, splitting up the team).

I mean, why did he not tell Simmons anything about the mission he sent her on? If he really wanted to learn more about the Inhuman that Nadir had, shouldn't he have told her as much as he knew? What good did it do anyone to keep that all a secret? By not telling her anything, and not even letting her tell Fitz before he left, he made Simmons trust him even less, and antagonized Fitz in the process. What was the point of any of that? If he'd just handled it a little bit differently, given Simmons the information, made her feel like he had her back, then he would have been building trust instead of making things worse.

And is that all forgiven now because Mace did it to protect SHIELD? I hope this doesn't get forgotten, that there are consequences to the things he did as Director in this first part of the season.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I assume that she started building the May LMD last week when we saw her constructing that brain, and then she made the switch when May went to pick up her and Radcliffe in this ep (which is why they had a whole scene where May and Coulson established that she was off to pick them up).

What I don't get though is whether we're supposed to assume May is still alive. I mean, AIDA didn't seem to have a problem killing the other agent, why was she keeping May alive, and if May was alive how would AIDA be able to hide her for very long?
Yeah that makes sense. I somehow missed the bit where it was made clear she was off to pick them up but that must've been the moment then.

And yes I think we are to assume May is alive. I am guessing she made an LMD duplicate of May for a reason, and I'm sure the brain she was creating has something to do with it, maybe it is directly linked up with the real May in some way because the LMD does seem to have all of May's memories and everything. I'm just really curious to know what her end game is, and why May, was it just cause she was a convenient target cause she was there anyway, or did it have to be her for a specific reason?

And yes I think there's still something more going on with Mace. It's either that or they did wrap it up a little too easily, so I'm hoping there is still more to be uncovered cause otherwise it would just be lazy writing.