Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Elite Fan

Episode Discussion: 3x21/22, “Absolution”/”Ascension” [May 17th]

3x21/22
absolution / ascension

It’s a showdown a season in the making as S.H.I.E.L.D. takes on Hive,
and when his master plan is finally revealed, the team must spring into action.
Who will live, and who will die?

Guest starring in “Absolution” are Axl Whitehead as James, John Hannah as Holden Radcliffe,
Natalie Cordova-Buckley as Elena “Yo-Yo” Rodriguez, Mark Dacascos as Giyera, Adrian Pasdar
as Brigadier General Glenn Talbot, Derek Phillips as Agent O’Brien, Patrick John Hurley as
General Andaz, Dorian Gregory as Undersecretary Walter Thomas and Hart Turner as Hudson

“Absolution” was written by Chris Dingess & Drew Z. Greenberg and directed by Billy Gierhart

Guest starring in “Ascension” are Axle Whitehead as James, John Hannah as Holden Radcliffe,
Natalie Cordova-Buckley as Elena “Yo-Yo” Rodriquez, Mark Dacascos as Giyera, Lila Glaudini
as Polly Hinton and Amanda Rea as Aida

“Ascension” was written by Jed Whedon and directed by Kevin Tancharoen

[Promo Photos & Sneak Peeks]
Old 05-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks for the new thread
Old 05-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Moderator Support Team

Tftnt

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 05-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new trhead!
Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Elite Fan

No bother!

I was gonna say "enjoy the finale tonight, folks" but it's only Monday. I've been so used to having Person of Interest & AoS on the same day, now that POI is on Monday and Tuesdays it's just messing me up.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think it debuts 9 pm EST USA time, right...? so it's gonna be a late night for me....I'll be on during commercials here....lol
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can say out of everyone who could've died , Lincoln was the best choice . It may be harsh but the thought of daisy dying was unthinkable . Gemma and Fitz just reconnecting in love couldn't kill one of them . Coulson nah he is the star . Mac is too good Mae is in replaceable .
Good finale , daisy looks hot in her goth dark look .
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

lol I KNEW they would cop out! Don't get me wrong when he died it was heartbreaking but didn't they say a CORE team member (Coulson, Daisy, May, Fitz, Simmons) would die? Lincoln just joined the team. I knew they wouldn't kill a main member so I'm not suprised. Well I'm glad May didn't die (which was my prediction only if they meant what they said, which they didn't) and I knew they wouldn't kill off either Fitz or Simmons cause of the crumbs, Daisy is too huge to die, and Coulson is the main star. Well, I hope Ward STAYS DEAD but I still think they will think of a bs way to bring him back
Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Master Fan

Random thoughts.

First, it was weird that on this day in particular, everybody decided to wear the same jacket, and jackets that they've never really worn before.

As for the necklace hot potato, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. It was still there, but they didn't make as much of it as I worried they would.

As expected though, everyone was put in potentially fatal situations during the ep. When Fitz was stuck in the hanger earlier in the ep, I was oddly comforted, because it was too early for anyone to die so he'd be safe.

I liked the way they disoriented Hive with the memory machine, it was a smart idea to turn one of his strengths, the memories of his many past lives, against him. And I'm glad that he died at the end, and at least for the moment it doesn't look like they're trying to find another forced reason to keep Brett Dalton around*.

Not surprised it was Lincoln who sacrificed himself, it was a toss up for me whether it would be him or May, either was in a position to pull a move like that at the end.

That "six month later" extended ending though ... I get that they want to set up interest for next season, but I would have preferred if they spent those last minutes of the ep processing everything that happened this season, and took a moment to mourn Lincoln. Jumping into the future and blowing past all that for the sake of setting up a bunch of new questions for next season didn't feel like a very satisfying ending.

I also feel like they should have had a bigger FitzSimmons moment. They both had big moments on their own (Fitz especially), but after the way this season started I feel like they should have had a big moment at the end, a hug or a moment of them actually together somewhere, happy, instead of just hearing about it third hand from Radcliffe. While waiting for the tag ending, I could picture them together, having a moment, but waiting for something terrible to happen like what happened with the monolith last year. And then that NOT happening.

And I'm totally not surprised that Radcliffe survived the season, and that he's going to play some key role in S4. And that he's formed a connection with Fitz and Simmons.

* - The program Radcliffe invoked at the end was a SHIELD LMD (Life-Model Decoy) program, which are robots usually modeled after real people. You just know that isn't going to end well. And he specifically spoke about friends that Fitz and Simmons had lost, and how maybe that didn't have to happen. The robot Radcliffe was about to reveal in the tag looked female, but it sounds like he plans to make others. Might there be a Ward LMD in the works? They could go there if they wanted to keep Brett Dalton around.

ETA - Easy to forget after a crazy two hour episode, but that bit at the beginning with Talbot and Fitz in the motion capture suit was hilarious.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Elite Fan

This may be AOS last season finale since they moved it to Tuesdays at 10.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Yeah, that six months later thing took me right out of the scene. I didn't really get the ending with Ratcliff, if thier robots then there you go. Here comes a Ward robot Knew it.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
lol I KNEW they would cop out! Don't get me wrong when he died it was heartbreaking but didn't they say a CORE team member (Coulson, Daisy, May, Fitz, Simmons) would die?

I could have told you that. The core group from "BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER", was still intact by the series' finale.

On the other hand . . . did the show just copied "CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST AVENGER"?

What's up with Skye going Goth? What the hell?
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 05-17-2016 at 10:53 PM
Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Huh. Well, that's one way to completely clear the table. A series gets to do that once during its lifetime. Chloe wasn't kidding when she hinted about things going completely nuts.

Oh, and who's the new Director?

Last edited by Wild Pikachu; 05-18-2016 at 12:22 AM
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
On the other hand . . . did the show just copied "CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST AVENGER"?
The idea of person A being in contact with person B when person B is about to die, possibly sacrificing themselves for the good of person A, is not exactly unique to CA, I've seen it loads of times and they weren't the first to do it.

And even if they were intentionally trying to draw the parallel with CA, why is that a bad thing? It's not like the rest of the story was the same, it was just that scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
What's up with Skye going Goth? What the hell?
Although they were intentionally cryptic with that six month flash forward business, obviously Daisy has gone rogue and is on the run from SHIELD, and is trying to disguise her identity. What exactly motivated her we don't know for sure. Certainly she didn't seem to feel like part of SHIELD anymore after Hive's sway was removed. And that was before Lincoln's death, which surely screwed her up even more.

Was she just trying to lead a quiet life but SHIELD wouldn't leave her alone? Was she really messed up and doing bad things? Or was she trying to do good things but as a free agent rather than a SHIELD agent? Certainly, she seemed to be helping that potential Inhuman kid.

And as for the state of SHIELD at the end, I suspect that the world has really turned on Inhumans and enhanced people in general (related to the Sokovia Accords), and SHIELD was pressured to enforce registration and be less tolerant of Inhumans. This is just wild speculation, but I'm guessing that's why Coulson appears to be operating more as a field agent now, and it sounds like someone else is now director - SHIELD has been normalized more with the government, and Coulson doesn't really approve of what SHIELD is being asked to do, so he's been pushed out as director or left voluntarily because he couldn't fully support the new direction for SHIELD.