Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Episode Discussion: 2x16, “Afterlife” [April 7th]

2x16
"afterlife"

As Robert Gonzales makes his move, Coulson must do whatever it takes to
protect the future of S.H.I.E.L.D. Meanwhile Skye’s journey to control her powers
takes a surprising turn when she meets the enigmatic Inhuman named Lincoln.

Guest starring are Henry Simmons as Alphonso “Mack” Mackenzie, Ruth Negga as
Raina, Kyle MacLachlan as Cal, Edward James Olmos as Robert Gonzales, Jamie
Harris as Gordon, DichenLachman as Jiaying, Luke Mitchell as Lincoln Campbell,
Craig Johnson as S.H.I.E.L.D. Leader, Stoney Westmoreland as Honest Eddie, and
John Forest as Robbie.

”Afterlife” was written by Craig Titley and directed by Kevin Hooks.

[Sneak Peek]
[Sneak Peek #2]

Last edited by indigo sunrise; 04-07-2015 at 08:07 AM
Old 04-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for opening! Can't wait to finally see more of the Inhumans!
Old 04-07-2015, 05:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Tonight! it's weird that they only released one sneak peek this week, maybe Easter had something to do with it oh well, we'll see it soon enough now

ETA: never mind, here's the second sneak peek

Last edited by indigo sunrise; 04-07-2015 at 08:06 AM
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Website Manager

I've been SO looking forward to this episode after what happened last week! Had the other Shield not came to get Skye, it's a lot less likely she would have asked for the help, at least not this soon. I'm just hoping she can learn to control her ability and come back to work with her team.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hi Johnnie! Yeah I definitely think it would have taken her longer to get there too if things had gone differently, but I'm really glad she's getting the help she needs now. I hope it stays a positive thing, and won't become too much of an Inhumans vs SHIELD issue that she'll be torn between (we've got enough of that going on with SHIELD vs SHIELD at the moment ). I really, really hope they'll tell her about her mother this episode. Maybe there's even footage of her or something that she'll get to see or things that belonged to her, I'm sure that will be an emotional moment for Skye.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for posting the second sneak peek! Lincoln seems like a charming dude. I just hope he isn't a duplicitous d-bag.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah this show has given me trust issues for sure he seems nice but I'm not convinced
Old 04-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
Hi Johnnie! Yeah I definitely think it would have taken her longer to get there too if things had gone differently, but I'm really glad she's getting the help she needs now. I hope it stays a positive thing, and won't become too much of an Inhumans vs SHIELD issue that she'll be torn between (we've got enough of that going on with SHIELD vs SHIELD at the moment ). I really, really hope they'll tell her about her mother this episode. Maybe there's even footage of her or something that she'll get to see or things that belonged to her, I'm sure that will be an emotional moment for Skye.
big spoiler time

Spoiler:
Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Master Fan

Most. Adorable. Tag. Ever.

I thought it was pretty clear during the exchange between Fitz and Simmons in the lab that there was more going on than it seemed - the way Fitz said, "You want me to leave" - but I was surprised that the secret was revealed by the end of the ep. I thought they'd drag it out for longer, make it look like Simmons really had turned. Otherwise, it kinda went down the way I expected ... Fitz off to find Coulson, Simmons sticking around with SHIELD 2.0 as a double agent.

Also, Hunter and Coulson together are hilarious. And their rescuer was a bit of a surprise, but made a lot of sense.

Gonzales' offer to May I wasn't expecting, but it's hardly betrayal if she takes him up on the offer. She could do more good that way than if she stays locked up.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh man what a wild ride. I screamed when Deathlok showed up, and I literally jumped up on my couch and did a full on Tom Cruise when Jiaying showed up. I knew Dichen Lachman was credited for this ep but I honestly expected some footage of her or a flashback at best - no part of me would have ever expected her to still be alive. I'm so scared it's not really her somehow though - I've been getting a bad feeling from this and I'm not sure why. Especially the scene where she hugged Cal seemed off to me somehow, but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what. I absolutely can't wait for Skye to find out she's her mother though, that's going to be so incredibly emotional.

I absolutely called it right from the start that Jemma was playing them somehow and that Fitz was playing along - it was excellent to watch that play out. The end with the prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella sandwich with just a hint of pesto aioli was such a sweet touch that's twice now that Jemma has casually played SHIELD 2.0, I'm so proud

That scene with Skye and Raina was pretty intense. I am really curious to find out what her powers are. I think I like Lincoln so far, but I'm having a hard time fully trusting him and the rest of the Inhumans, I feel like with this show it's only a matter of time before it gets revealed that they have a hidden agenda as well so I'm fully prepared for that Lincoln's powers are pretty awesome though.

Coulson and Hunter are such a joy to watch together, also how cool was that modern Howling Commando kit? I got a bit choked up imagining Fitz and Trip working on that together, not going to lie.

Next week, though. I absolutely don't know how I am going to handle next week.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh man what a wild ride. I screamed when Deathlok showed up
It was just such a surprise to see him in S2. His name came up once or twice in this season, but nothing to suggest he might show up at some point.

Quote:
The end with the prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella sandwich with just a hint of pesto aioli was such a sweet touch
It was also quite the callback. Apparently this is Simmons' go-to move when sending Fitz out into the field.

Quote:
I literally jumped up on my couch and did a full on Tom Cruise when Jiaying showed up. I knew Dichen Lachman was credited for this ep but I honestly expected some footage of her or a flashback at best - no part of me would have ever expected her to still be alive. I'm so scared it's not really her somehow though - I've been getting a bad feeling from this and I'm not sure why. Especially the scene where she hugged Cal seemed off to me somehow, but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what. I absolutely can't wait for Skye to find out she's her mother though, that's going to be so incredibly emotional.
I also had the feeling that something was off in that scene. I thought for a moment she was going to kill Cal. It's hard to believe that she's really been alive all this time but never approached Skye, especially considering they've have a guy like Gordon around for years.

Quote:
That scene with Skye and Raina was pretty intense. I am really curious to find out what her powers are. I think I like Lincoln so far, but I'm having a hard time fully trusting him and the rest of the Inhumans, I feel like with this show it's only a matter of time before it gets revealed that they have a hidden agenda as well so I'm fully prepared for that Lincoln's powers are pretty awesome though.
There's definitely more going on with them. I think they're generally good guys and not trying to lie to Skye, but they're not telling her the whole truth either. I wasn't expecting Jiaying to show up either, it will definitely be interesting to see Skye's reaction when she finds out. And it seems like they're keeping Cal because they don't want to kill him, but they don't trust him to let him go either. I'm curious to see what role he still has to play this season.

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens next to that whole Inhuman group. I would not be surprised if "Afterlife" doesn't survive to the end of the season. And will they join Coulson? At least some of them?

Quote:
Coulson and Hunter are such a joy to watch together, also how cool was that modern Howling Commando kit? I got a bit choked up imagining Fitz and Trip working on that together, not going to lie.
That was pretty cool. Besides being funny, there was also some classic understated badass Coulson in this one. Like, casually telling Hunter he invited the other SHIELD to the safe house. And then there was the fact that he went up against them using only non-lethal force.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Deahlock is back .. Gemma is crafty and so is Fitz made the swith with thr little black cube .
Sky whoa all in silk with cool looking acupuncture needles, that glow .. Her father is a nut .
Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Extreme Fan

I've said it more than once and I'll say it again. This whole SHIELD vs. SHIELD is so infantile and ridiculous. This is the best that Mutant Enemy can do? I feel as if I'm watching some high school rivalry, disguised as a rivalry between two espionage factions. It's stupid, infantile and unnecessary. And now Coulson has a paltry excuse to bring back Grant Ward. God help me, I have to throw up.

I can't believe that Season Two is more highly regarded than Season One.

Quote:
I also had the feeling that something was off in that scene. I thought for a moment she was going to kill Cal. It's hard to believe that she's really been alive all this time but never approached Skye, especially considering they've have a guy like Gordon around for years.

Why didn't she approach Cal, who thought she had been dead for years? And who was willing to kill Whitehall in revenge for her death?

Why on earth would Bobbi trust Jemma again after what the latter had pulled in a recently earlier episode? This show is getting stupid in so many ways.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 04-07-2015 at 10:00 PM
Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes! FitzSimmons is back! "Love, Jemma"!!!

So, now they are shading things ever so slightly towards the "real" S.H.I.E.L.D. not being the "bad guys"... except I would think that Gonzales' extreme bigotry against "powered people" will end up being his undoing. (And by the way, that is ABSOLUTELY the worst name ever! If that's going to be the MCU's official term for the M-word, ) And we still don't know how AOU is going to change things. But I would guess that there will be a flashpoint where Gonzales will become irrationally hostile towards the Inhumans (like Skye) and his people will end up turning against him. Bobbi is already showing signs of that; I think she'll end up being an ace in the hole for Coulson.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
It was just such a surprise to see him in S2. His name came up once or twice in this season, but nothing to suggest he might show up at some point.

It was also quite the callback. Apparently this is Simmons' go-to move when sending Fitz out into the field.

There's definitely more going on with them. I think they're generally good guys and not trying to lie to Skye, but they're not telling her the whole truth either. I wasn't expecting Jiaying to show up either, it will definitely be interesting to see Skye's reaction when she finds out. And it seems like they're keeping Cal because they don't want to kill him, but they don't trust him to let him go either. I'm curious to see what role he still has to play this season.

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens next to that whole Inhuman group. I would not be surprised if "Afterlife" doesn't survive to the end of the season. And will they join Coulson? At least some of them?

That was pretty cool. Besides being funny, there was also some classic understated badass Coulson in this one. Like, casually telling Hunter he invited the other SHIELD to the safe house. And then there was the fact that he went up against them using only non-lethal force.

How would they have known where Skye was ?Until she went through the mist she was just an ordinary human so there was nothing for Gordo to track.

The agents who found her put in her the foster care system and had her forever moving until she scrubbed her identity and did one .Cal was apparently looking for her all that time until he lost the trail when that female agent died and the other one went into hiding.