Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Elite Fan

Episode Discussion: 2x15, "One Door Closes" [March 31st]

2x15
"one door closes"

War comes to Coulson’s doorstep in a way he never anticipated as shocking revelations
are brought to light, and Skye struggles to control her new abilities but will soon make
a decision that irrevocably changes her life.

Guest starring are Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie, Lucy Lawless as Isabelle
Hartley, Edward James Olmos as Robert Gonzales, Jamie Harris as Gordon, Christine Adams
as Agent Weaver, Kirk Acevedo as Agent Calderon, Cornelius Smith, Jr. as Case, Sai Rao as
Susanna, Mackenzie Astin as Tim Maguire and Rick Otto as lead Hydra agent.

"One Door Closes" was written by Lauren LeFranc & Rafe Judkins and directed by David Solomon.

[Sneak Peek]
[Sneak Peek #2]

Last edited by indigo sunrise; 03-30-2015 at 09:55 AM
Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Looks like it's going to be a pretty pivotal episode, can't wait!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Master Fan

I'm definitely looking forward to the story moving forward, though I am dreading some of the possible specifics.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Looks good. Can't wait!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Added the link for Sneak Peek #2. Everything looks preeeetty epic so far. Really get the feeling that this episode is going to tie everything together!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that, looks really good! Hopefully we'll get all our questions about the "real" SHIELD answered.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope so too! I probably won't be up to watch it live though I'm coming down with the worst cold buuuut I might just get up early to watch it
Old 03-31-2015, 07:21 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Kinda boring episode...

Only thing I really liked was what Skye did with her powers at the end.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

I liked it better than the last couple of episodes.

There were a lot of things I liked about the ep, but definitely liked that last scene with Coulson and Hunter. "So, how've you been? Anything new?" So understated and funny, but totally badass too.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Things are starting to drag on too long... next weeks looks better tho
Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

I've generally felt that way lately, but that's why I liked this ep ... the conspiracy was finally revealed and we found out more about their motivation and what they're after, Coulson's on the move trying to fix things, Skye finally met up with the more rational Inhumans ... there was even a glimmer of FitzSimmons working together by the end.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Can Lauren and Rafe please write every episode ever? I really REALLY loved this one! I thought it was the perfect resolution to a lot of things, and makes way for things to come now. I also think they have a really good handle on all of the characters - it's been a while since I felt like everyone was this in character and this likeable. I think they did a great job at 'redeeming' Bobbi and Mack to the audience too, although looking around Tumblr and Twitter just now I am still seeing a lot of hate for them and the 'real' SHIELD in general the latter I get is still a bit questionable because of their stance towards gifteds etc and how they chose to handle things, but it's clear that they're coming from a good place. I also really like that we finally got to see some more of Isabelle Hartley, I know a lot of people (including myself) felt really cheated that she died pretty much as soon as she arrived.

As always, I'll have to rewatch (especially this time cause I'm a bit out of it with a fever ugh) but I have to mention a few moments. Skimmons Skype date! and I really, really loved that moment where Jemma 'Can't Lie To Save My Life' Simmons totally tricked Bobbi. She's come so far Also, I had to laugh when she passive agressively called Fitz Leo I think that pretty much confirms the fanon idea that he doesn't like being called that.

I also really loved the scene with Hunter and Coulson at the end (I totally expected it to be revealed they're in Tahiti! ) and Skye finally learning more about her powers. I love that Gordon just casually popped in (quite literally) to talk to her, and that she asked him to come get her at the end. It's a good thing she's going there voluntarily, and I think it'll really help her to understand her powers better. Also, how badass was that May vs Bobbi fight? They must've had a blast shooting that. And that last bit where Skye unleashes her full powers to stop the bullet was beautifully done.

It'll be interesting to see where things go from here. I think everyone will be pretty much divided for a while, with Coulson and Hunter laying low, Skye with the Inhumans, and Fitz and Simmons sort of begrudgingly working with SHIELD 2.0 (but I'm guessing staying loyal to Coulson when it comes down to it), and May being (presumably) in their custody.

ETA: I had not watched the promo before writing that last bit never mind on some of that I guess.

Last edited by indigo sunrise; 03-31-2015 at 09:51 PM
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Extreme Fan

This is one of two episodes from Season 2 I actually liked. But you know what? I didn't find myself rooting for Coulson and his team. I was too interested in what Gonzales and his people had endured when SHIELD fell.

And to be honest . . . why don't they simply consolidate? But they won't. Because both Coulson and Gonzales want to be top dog. SHIELD is divided due to a clash of ego. How sad.

By the way . . . who is the Big Bad for this season's second half? They really shouldn't have bumped off Whitehall, last fall.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
I think they did a great job at 'redeeming' Bobbi and Mack to the audience too, although looking around Tumblr and Twitter just now I am still seeing a lot of hate for them and the 'real' SHIELD in general the latter I get is still a bit questionable because of their stance towards gifteds etc and how they chose to handle things, but it's clear that they're coming from a good place.
While they're not HYDRA, I feel like the "real" SHIELD isn't really living up to the ideals they're claiming. If they really had problems with the way Fury did things and the way he kept secrets, how is hiding from Coulson and the rest for all this time and then betraying him really any better? If their only real problem is with Coulson (and they're being rather judgmental considering they don't really know him), how are the rest of his agents supposed to feel about them blowing the place up and holding everyone at gunpoint? Is the "real" SHIELD really that much different from the old SHIELD?

And that's not even considering their feelings about gifteds.

As for Bobbi and Mack, maybe they had a very bad day, but I can't say that seeing what happened to them the day SHIELD fell really made me more sympathetic to them. That was a pretty bad day for everyone, and it doesn't really justify them betraying people who considered them friends for no particularly good reason.

I do think Bobbi can be redeemed in all of this because she's not as anti-gifted as the rest seem to be, particularly Mack. And that was showing in how she tried to protect Skye, doomed as it was.

Mack though ... it was nice that he protected Fitz from the explosion, but between the betrayal in this ep and Mack's general attitude towards gifteds and anything alien, I don't see Mack and Fitz being buddies again any time soon.

Quote:
Skimmons Skype date! and I really, really loved that moment where Jemma 'Can't Lie To Save My Life' Simmons totally tricked Bobbi. She's come so far
Simmons fooling Bobbi was easily my favourite Simmons moment in a while. I'd like to see more of that.

Quote:
Also, I had to laugh when she passive agressively called Fitz Leo I think that pretty much confirms the fanon idea that he doesn't like being called that.
I hated seeing Fitz and Simmons snipe at each other as they did at the beginning, and it wasn't totally clear to me why she called him Leo in that moment. And as friendly as Simmons' chat with Skye was, it's still clear that the way Simmons is trying to help Skye is the wrong way to go, and hopefully sooner rather than later Simmons is going to realize this.

But at least we maybe had FitzSimmons back by the end. I'm happy that, whatever problems they still have, they were quick to close ranks when the "real" SHIELD showed up. Not just the moment they held hands either, but also the way Simmons checked with Fitz before helping Weaver with Mack. I felt a bit more optimistic that they'll actually stick together through this fight with the "real" SHIELD. Or maybe if they do get split up at some point, it'll be part of a plan they make together, and not just because of fundamental arguments over how to deal with gifteds and alien stuff in general lead them to support different sides.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
While they're not HYDRA, I feel like the "real" SHIELD isn't really living up to the ideals they're claiming.

Coulson had recently orchestrated the mass murder of several HYDRA agents. I don't care if they were the bad guys. How he did this was WRONG. He has never shown any remorse for the crap he had put Jane Foster through. No wonder she still detests SHIELD. He and his team aren't living to up any ideals no more than Gonzales' team. By the way, I don't regard Gonzales' team as "the real SHIELD". They're the REAL SHIELD, like Coulson's team. After seeing what they had endured, I'm not going to pretend that they're pretenders or phonies.

This idea that we have to choose one SHIELD team over another is stupid to me. It's stupid, because it would be a lot better if both teams hook up to deal with HYDRA. Instead, Coulson and Gonzales are engaging in an ego bitch fest that has only left me feeling disgusted.

I get the feeling that we're supposed to support nearly everything that Coulson does and at the same time, regard Gonzales as the enemy. I don't. I think both men need to get their collective heads out of their asses and deal with reshuffling SHIELD.

Quote:
Mack though ... it was nice that he protected Fitz from the explosion, but between the betrayal in this ep and Mack's general attitude towards gifteds and anything alien, I don't see Mack and Fitz being buddies again any time soon.
Considering Fitz's reactions toward Jemma's xenophobic attitude toward Skye, you're probably right. Why is that Bobbi and especially Mack are being accused of xenophobic behavior toward Skye and not Jemma?

Quote:
And as friendly as Simmons' chat with Skye was, it's still clear that the way Simmons is trying to help Skye is the wrong way to go, and hopefully sooner rather than later Simmons is going to realize this.
That's because she is still harboring a xenophobic attitude toward Skye, even though many are only willing to describe Gonzales' team with that word.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 03-31-2015 at 10:50 PM