Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Elite Fan

Episode Discussion: 2x08, "The Things We Bury" [November 18th]

2x08
"the things we bury"

Coulson and team find themselves in an epic face-off against Hydra to uncover
an ancient secret, while Ward kidnaps his brother, Senator Christian Ward,
for a violent trip down memory lane.

Guest starring are B.J. Britt as Agent Antoine Triplett, Adrianne Palicki as Bobbi Morse,
Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mack" Mackenzie, Reed Diamond as Daniel Whitehall/
Werner Reinhardt, Tim Dekay as Senator Christian Ward, Kyle MacLachlan as The Doctor,
Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, Simon Kassianides as Sunil Bakshi, Lou Ferrigno Jr.
as Agent Hauer, Al Coronel as Agent Rivera, Dichen Lachman as young woman, Eijiro Ozaki
as prisoner, Alexander Leeb as scientist and Willem Van Der Vegt as officer.

"The Things We Bury" was written by DJ Doyle and directed by Milan Cheylov.

[Sneak Peek]
[Sneak Peek #2]
Old 11-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Elite Fan

Looks good. Can't wait.
If you love someone you gotta make a sound
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

excited!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Elite Fan

Toniiight.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

And the Ward saga continues...so we find out that Grant was telling the truth and Christian was lying about the well...and then Grant goes and kills Christian and their parents. Who all sound like they more or less deserved it. So, not your typical redemptive arc.

I think I got the other part... Dichen Lachman's character was Skye's mother, so the rampage through the Chinese village was Skye's father looking for both of them. Though since the village was under HYDRA control, probably most of the people he killed were HYDRA agents. I am curious as to how S.H.I.E.L.D. got tipped off to baby Skye's presence, just in time to whisk her away. And Whitehall is so a dead man, he just doesn't know it yet. That'll be fun to see. I wonder how Skye's father will end up feeling about Ward.

And, really, Hunter and Bobbi? 'Cuz nobody in the world saw that coming? They keep bringing up brainwashing, though...that must mean something.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

That's it with Christian?...
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh man, lots of big reveals. I am mostly super excited that DICHEN LACHMAN IS SKYE'S MOTHER that is so, so awesome. I really hope we haven't seen the last of her yet though, that would be such a waste. She hardly got anything to do this episode! I'm hoping for flashbacks, OR that she might be a part of Agent Carter... it would fit with the timeline, after all (also if she and Enver Gjokaj share a screen again I'll die). Either way, I wonder if this not-aging (or slow aging) thing affects Skye at all?

I'm also super happy that Skye's father has an ulterior motive in joining Hydra and that it wasn't just a "omg who is this dude pretending to be my baby's daughter I want him dead let's team up" kind of thing it's going to be so interesting to see that played out, and especially with Ward there now too.

Speaking of Skye's dad, I really enjoyed him this episode. The dad-off with Coulson was great I can't wait to find out what Skye's real name is, but I have a feeling we're not going to find out until they meet face to face.

But man, when Trip got shot I almost died I'm so glad he's okay.

And Fitz I'm so proud of him.

ALSO, JEMMA FANGIRLING OVER PEGGY CARTER. and May being completely unimpressed

I'm not sure how I feel about Hunter and Bobbi hooking up yet. I think it was inevitable, but I'm curious to see how that'll play out.

I somehow really love Bakshi a lot so I'm hoping he'll be fine.

Quote:
They keep bringing up brainwashing, though...that must mean something.
I am still super, super worried that Jemma was brainwashed
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love Kyle Maclachlan. He does crazy well. I wouldn't want to be Whitehall. I can't wait for Skye to meet her dad. I hope we see more of Skye's mom in flashbacks.

I don't know what they are doing with Ward. If this is a redemption arc, killing his brother and parents is extreme no matter how awful they were. I do think he is infiltrating Hydra to help Shield or more likely Skye.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri (View Post)
I love Kyle Maclachlan. He does crazy well. I wouldn't want to be Whitehall. I can't wait for Skye to meet her dad. I hope we see more of Skye's mom in flashbacks.

I don't know what they are doing with Ward. If this is a redemption arc, killing his brother and parents is extreme no matter how awful they were. I do think he is infiltrating Hydra to help Shield or more likely Skye.

I don't see Coulson giving Ward an invitation to rejoin the team after the latter's murder of his family. Coulson would have to be an idiot not to know who was truly responsible for Senator Ward's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugjess (View Post)
By the way, kudos to Mutant Enemy and Marvel for wasting Christian Ward's character with only appearances in two episodes.

And once again, too much was going on in one episode. They're still rushing the season's narrative.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
I don't see Coulson giving Ward an invitation to rejoin the team after the latter's murder of his family. Coulson would have to be an idiot not to know who was truly responsible for Senator Ward's death.

By the way, kudos to Mutant Enemy and Marvel for wasting Christian Ward's character with only appearances in two episodes.

And once again, too much was going on in one episode. They're still rushing the season's narrative.
I agree. I hope that Christian's death was faked... Otherwise a total waste.

This would have worked better as a two parter...
Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Fan

I liked Skye's father this episode. I don't think he is that evil. He lost his wife and his baby so I would like to know how the man was before.

It is two steps forward and four back with Ward. He was telling the truth and it was obvious to anyone that watched the show because we saw the flashbacks and we saw them at a time when he could not be lying about it. I feel pissed that he killed them. he could have just got what he wanted then walked away from it. I do think he is going to stab Hydra in the back and he is doing this to just report back to Coulson. Brett said that it is not your typical redemptive arc meaning that he is probably going to make everyone guess. I hate that because i just want character development and his learning from his mistakes but at east he is not just evil.

I knew that it would be trip that would be hurt.

Bobbi and Hunter was predictable but I like them.

I feel like Fitzsimmons and May are being backburned though. They have spent a bit of time of the newbies and I feel like that has taken away form the main characters. Is this a good season, I don't know yet but I hope the mid season finale is good though.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

I see an interesting parallel between Ward and Skye's father. Both are men, who may or may not have been sociopaths anyway, who were driven to extreme acts by horrific cruelties inflicted upon them. Skye's father is a bit more on bats**t crazy side, but that's a good thing, because Kyle MacLachlan does it so well.

I'm also curious as to Skye's real name... Not knowing anything about the larger Marvel universe, are there any established comic book characters that would fit this scenario?

And at Simmons swooning over Agent Carter. I'm glad AC is only eight episodes, though, because (sadly) I think it'll be a commercial disappointment. Just because it takes a lot for a period series to make an impression. I think the last time anyone tried something similar was the original Wonder Woman, and it only took one season for them to have to bring it forward from WWII to the present day.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:28 AM
Elite Fan

God this episode was so stressful.

Christian was a lying douchebag, but that doesn't mean he deserved to die. And their mother, I'm surprised we didn't see her at all. For now I'd like to return my order for a Ward redemption arc, because yeah. Nope.

Quote:
Yes? We got our answers, we know who he is. Unless they somehow faked his death, I don't see what else they could do with him. The Ward brother I really want to see now is Thomas.

Kyle MacLachlan was so good! I'm really loving Skye's father now, and it's good to see his real motivations with Hydra.

I'm pretty confident we'll see more of Skye's mother because, as many have noted, it would just be a waste otherwise. That surgery scene was extremely graphic too.

Ward is deluded, he's obviously infiltrating Hydra for Skye, but maybe that delusion will end up being useful to the team. I just don't want him anywhere near her for now.

Little note, but I was glad to see the return of confident Fitz!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I hate that because i just want character development and his learning from his mistakes but at east he is not just evil.

Of course Ward is evil. He just proved it. I don't care what kind of douchebag his brother was. Ward killed him and their parents with deliberate malice. That's evil to me . . . regardless if he's trying to get back into Coulson's graces.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Obsessed Fan

That was creepy.

That's not her name.