Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Elite Fan

Episode Discussion: 2x07, "The Writing on the Wall" [November 11th]

2x07
"the writing on the wall"

The team discovers murder victims with the alien glyphs on them that
Coulson's been etching. All of Coulson's secrets and lies come to a head.

Guest starring are B.J. Britt as Triplett, Adrianne Palicki as Bobbi Morse, Henry Simmons as
"Mack," Imelda Corcoran as Dr. Goodman, Simon Kassianides as Bakshi, Joel Gretsch as
Hank Thompson, Monica Lacy as Katie Thompson, Monique Gabriela Curnen as Janice
Robbins/ Agent Stevens, Bruno Amato as Bartender, Carlos Campos as Patient #2 and,
Michael Hanson Seaver as Patient #4, Natalie Smyka as Patient #5, Richie Cottrell as
Eliza's son, Madison Lee as Lab Assistant, and Brian Van Holt as Carver/Sebastian Van Holt.

"The Writing on the Wall" was written by Craig Titley and directed by Vincent Misiano.

[Sneak Peek]
[Sneak Peek #2]

Last edited by gingerly; 11-10-2014 at 02:20 PM
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

so glad it's back this week! I keep thinking it's Tuesday today so I keep getting excited and then disappointed... annoying
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Loyal Fan

How do you think I feel? My cable and internet were shut off, my bank account is overdrawn three days past a bi-weekly payday, and i'm at my limit of six loan sharks.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

Looks like it's gonna be a good one.
If you love someone you gotta make a sound
HIMYM 10 YEARS
Old 11-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, that was interesting... And this is an interesting path that Ward is taking. I'd say that he does want to redeem himself, though probably more in Skye's eyes than anyone else's. But he knows that saying it won't accomplish anything, so he's skipping that part and just demonstrating it. Of course he's also going after his brother, but I imagine that part of that will be to expose him as the bad guy. After that...who knows? It would probably have been nice for him to go after Whitehall, but I'd say he's definitely off HYDRA's Christmas card list now.

Oh, and they also teased Fitz' path to recovery, which will be to slowly regain those connections, which is probably all that's really wrong with him.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Who cares about Ward? I wish they would get rid of his uber male ass as soon as possible. All he did was make my stomach turn even further.

As for this episode . . . too much was going on for me to really appreciate it. In fact, even my sister was confused about what was it really about.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 11-11-2014 at 11:00 PM
Old 11-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Elite Fan

That was intense! The flashbacks were really effective and there was some great directing and editing there. The two stories (the carvings and the search for Ward) were solid, I was engaged throughout.

I am so relieved the carving mystery wasn't stretched out over the season, and hopefully it'll give the show real momentum going forward. I think I need to start reading about Inhumans now! Folks are speculating the mysterious city is their home Attilan.

This Grant Ward remains to be a lot more fun to watch than most-of-season-1 Grant Ward. I like that he's a wild card out there.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I definitely think that they are going to go down the Inhumans road! SO exciting! It looks like a lot of the build up for the Inhumans movie might be going down on this show and that's so cool! I'm also glad that (part of) the mystery of the writing is over now, even if now that they know it's a city, that raises so many more questions.

This episode was so intense and very dark in places, I can definitely see why the shift to a later time slot was a good thing!

I am also liking Ward's storyline now, it'll be interesting to see what he does now that he has nobody telling him what to do. Love that he gave Bakshi to Coulson - I enjoy his character a lot so I'm happy we'll probably get to see more of him - but I'm super worried about what that might mean also. Please keep Jemma and Bobbi as far away from him as possible, because I swear if either one of them was brainwashed after all and he triggers them...

I love where the show is at now, but I do miss having more time for character development instead of just focussing on the plot at all times. The show introduced so many amazing new characters this season, and I'd love to know so much more about all of them. And it also feels like some of the main characters are being a bit side-lined at the moment, which I don't enjoy. I hope things get at least a little bit quieter soon so that we can have some more character driven episodes, I miss those.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Extreme Fan

Everyone is swooning over Grant Ward. I swear . . . the man could commit genocide and the media would find ways to make excuses for him, because he looks like a model from the cover of GQ magazine.

For me, Ward is basically a morally corrupt man-child trying to shove his so-called "redemption" down the throats of others in order to belong to someone (probably Skye) or a group (Coulson's agents). Without John Grant or even Phil Coulson, he's nothing. And he knows it. Which is why he is resorting to these ridiculous methods to win back into Coulson's good graces. If Garrett was still alive, he wouldn't even bother.

And what on earth does Coulson intend to do about this new "location" he has stumble across? Have SHIELD occupy it for its "own good"? Protect it from HYDRA? What if the inhabitants don't need SHIELD's protection?

The ratings for SHIELD is pretty low right now. If ABC cancels it, I won't be surprised . . . or probably bothered.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Is there anything you do like about the show?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Elite Fan

Seriously. Don't like, don't watch.

And just because people enjoy Ward as a villain, doesn't mean they're "swooning".
Old 11-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Fan

I like Ward for many reasons and being good looking is just a bonus. His backstory for me was always the most interesting aspect of him so hearing that it's just because of his looks is not right. I loved him as the loyal agent that we first knew and I loved him after the twist. He is not your typical villain, he is not your typical bad guy, he was an abused kid that grew up and did a lot of bad things but he also has done good.

There are many that still like him because many relate to his childhood as an abuse victim and want him to break out that cycle. It goes deeper than just him being good looking, and he is such an interesting character. The show runners and actors have said themselves that he is not a villain. They have said that he is not evil.

He is trying to figure out who he is. He knows that he is a great agent and he knows that he has making up to do but he also knows that he won't be forgiven and he is doing what he does best, which is his job and he is good at it. He never asked for anything in return.

I really liked this side of him. I like that he is focusing on his own demons instead of Skye for some time.

I really hope they give us more about Skye.

I hate the team being like this, and I don't think Mack has a right to treat Jemma like that. I feel like she really just needs a good friend.

I like the new characters but I just miss the character development that we had last season and the focus on the main six of them.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerly (View Post)
Seriously. Don't like, don't watch.

And just because people enjoy Ward as a villain, doesn't mean they're "swooning".
Really? Have you read some of the comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
Is there anything you do like about the show?

Yeah. Season One.

Hopefully, the writers will kill off Ward, slow down the story arc's pacing and return to the level of storytelling from last season for the rest of Season Two.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Still feel the same about Ward, a worthless character with no purpose. I loved the Coulson storyline though and those flashbacks. They were so intense and revealed alot. I'm glad they revealed what the alien carvings were too, I didn't think we would find out for a long time. Many people think the city has to do with the Inhumans, guess that's possible and that is a future movie now. It would be a shame if they cancelled this show now, the second season is way better than the first. They just need to cut the loose worthless thread that is Ward and give Trip more to do. I don't get why they had him join Shield and basically replace Ward if he was barely going to do anything. They might as well of written him off IMO.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Good episode. I think this Ward is a lot more interesting than the season one version, although I didn't have a problem with "good" Ward. I like that he was able to beat Shield and Hydra. An unpopular opinion, but I have yet to be impressed by Bobbi and this episode did not really help.

I'm glad Coulson is better and the show can move on from the alien writing. Next week looks good. Skye's "Hail Hydra" phone greeting was great.