Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Moderator Support Team

"Transgressive Border Crossing" (4x02): Episode Discussion

[made by Twisty]

4x02: Transgressive Border Crossing
April 21, 2016 @ 10:00 p.m. Eastern

EPISODE DESCRIPTION:
After evading a Neolution attack in Iceland, Sarah returns home to track down an elusive new ally. She follows breadcrumbs and uncovers the next facet of Neolution’s agenda – implanting dangerous technological devices in humans. However, those she left behind are wary about her return, not wanting to relinquish their semblance of normalcy. As Cosima struggles with Delphine’s disappearance, Alison and Donnie host a pregnant and ever-hungry Helena. Meanwhile Felix, feeling like an outsider, embarks on his own journey of self-discovery.

» JOIN US FOR THE LIVE-CHAT DURING THE EPISODE «

EPISODES AIR THURSDAYS AT 10:00 PM EST
Please check here for the time.

PREVIOUS!

PROMOS!

RULES!
1. Since some people may not be a fan of your certain ship/character, try not to insult other ships/characters, just stick to the one you like and be positive, please.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something. Don't just say 'GOD THIS SUCKED'.
3. No talk of illegal downloading, asking or commenting about it. Any posts with that topic will be deleted. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs Eastern time in the USA.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!

S T A R D U S T
Old 04-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT!

Quote:
As Cosima struggles with Delphine’s disappearance
Old 04-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT!

Quote:
As Cosima struggles with Delphine’s disappearance
Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT. I'm going to miss your pretty graphics, twisty

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by root (View Post)
TFTNT. I'm going to miss your pretty graphics, twisty
S T A R D U S T
Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread Twist!

Since last weeks premiere was more of a prequel to the show, I'm looking forward to seeing how this episode goes.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Loyal Fan

After last weeks mostly flashback/prequel episode it kinda feels like ep 2 is the season opener, hopefully they'll get it right and suck us in for the rest of the season. A little more insight into Neolution would be good and I want to see what Rachel can see through her new bionic eye, telescopic and microscopic?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

My stream was a little laggy at times so I'm gonna have to rewatch later, but initial thoughts:

- Very very curious what the worm means for Sarah, especially since they can activate it and the host dies.
- Loving the Cosima stuff this episode. I'm totally here and ready for her angst. It's been long overdue. I love that their lab is underneath a comic book store and that Cosima has her own pot growing there. Glad to see Scott getting more screen time too! Does the guy manning the store see the clones coming in and out all the time though?
- I really loved Mrs S bonding with Cosima. They've barely had any interaction at all so I'm really glad to see them connecting and S really being concerned about how she's going.
- Beth's apartment has just been sitting there empty for six months and her family still haven't collected her stuff? God, poor Beth. I'm glad we got to see more of her this episode but man, it was all so heartbreaking. Her goodbye with MK was so sad!
- I'm interested to see just how much MK knows. She was feeding Beth with a lot of information after all.
- I feel bad for Felix. He really is left out now and Sarah catching up with him under the guise of a Neolution mission really didn't help.
- I'm still not a fan of Helena being pregnant. Alison's obviously angry that she can't have kids of her own but she does have a point about Helena not being ready for this.
- Kendall is great for the snark.
- Why was Dylan still in the credits? Paul wasn't in this episode at all.
- The constant Cal mentions by Kira are proof that characters don't need to die if they can't get the actor back.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Loyal Fan

I've watched it through twice, some good stuff some that I'm not so fussed about. Like Holden I'm not 100% on board with Helena being pregnant, kind of feels like it's been brought in to keep Helena in the show, maybe?
The scene with Cosima and Mrs. S was well played, very emotional. I'm not truly sure how much I want Cos to suffer, in the off season yes, but now with her back on the screen it's quite difficult to watch. At least now she finally understands where her heart lies. Let's hope they don't **** up and do something stupid. Still very concerned about her health, is Kendall having Leukaemia going to impact on a possible cure for Cos. I'm no medic so I've no idea, just hoping not.
Love the lab under the comic store, wouldn't quite compare it to the bat cave though, hopefully it will be sufficient to meet their needs.
The flashbacks, whilst they give background to the story do get a little confusing at times. Most of the time I see Sarah playing Beth, so used to that so difficult to get away from. The blonde wig, will we ever find out who she went to see and what happened? Why was the pregnant girl at Beth's place, do we need to know, will we ever know or was it just a means to get Sarah to go to Club Neolution?
Have to feel for Felix, he's been kind of cast away and with, probably, little screen time of him with Sarah it's going to be difficult for them to properly discuss matters, much like the misunderstanding between Delphine and Cos after their far too brief "break up".
The maggot/worm or whatever it is both intriguing and confusing, it's not controlling as in The Invasion of the Body Snatchers et al, if it's symbiotic what does the host get in return? Extended life or some such? A little something for Cos to investigate, some distraction from her heartache if Sarah decides to show her that is.

Quote:
Why was Dylan still in the credits? Paul wasn't in this episode at all.
Maybe no significant big "bit" players this year so it's back to season one. Michael Mando was credited every week, but didn't appear every week, that does kind of imply Paul will be involved in more Beth flashbacks, not sure how I feel about that.

Quote:
The constant Cal mentions by Kira are proof that characters don't need to die if they can't get the actor back.
So true, but then we wouldn't have the "heroic" overly cliché "cliffhanger"!! I don't think Delphine could just go off and do her own thing as Cal seems to be doing, but her "unavailability" could have been used far more creatively than a contrived cliffhanger.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Loyal Fan

I thought 4x02 would function as the season premiere, but this felt more like padding than the premiere to me. Anyone else?

On the one hand, it's nice to think Beth didn't kill herself over a guy. On the other hand, can you say retcon?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Cal's gone, but Sarah being this inconsistent a parent to Kira in S4 is nagl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOT (View Post)
Like Holden I'm not 100% on board with Helena being pregnant, kind of feels like it's been brought in to keep Helena in the show, maybe?
I feel like Helena's pregnancy is just typical TV. She'll probably give birth in the season finale and it'll be about new beginnings etc etc, we've seen it all before. The twins will probably be part of the ~cure like Kira though, so at least there'll be some point to it.

savannah · (c)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

I really liked this episode! For me it definitely did have a back-to-season-one feeling, which I know they were going for. The focus felt narrower and the writing sharper than it's been for the last two seasons, and it was suspenseful as Sarah delved into creepy unknown territory with the whole worm thing. I wish they hadn't spoiled the reveal that she has one with advance footage, it it was still freaky to see it moving around in her cheek. The flashbacks were good, especially Beth's touching farewell to MK, but I hope they're almost done with the flashback thing. It'll start to feel gimmicky soon, I think, although I def do want to know who Beth visited in the blonde wig and what she discovered that made her give up.

Loved the secret lab, and really really loved that Cosima is appropriately devasted and worried about Delphine. Also appreciated that she said she knew something was wrong the last time she saw her ... although it might have been nice if she'd said something at the time!!

I'm more positive about Helena's pregnancy than others seem to be. To me it's very much in keeping with the themes of the show, as women's control over their bodies and especially reproduction is crucial to OB. I look forward to seeing how it plays out, and I also suspect that her pregnancy will connect to the science side of things in a meaningful way, perhaps helping the discovery of how and why SarH and Helena are different from the other clones.

All in all a good episode, and I'm looking forward to next week!
Old 04-23-2016, 04:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Still very concerned about her health, is Kendall having Leukaemia going to impact on a possible cure for Cos. I'm no medic so I've no idea, just hoping not.
That is a good point. I feel like the leukaemia is potentially something they should've already noticed. Didn't Kendall say she was diagnosed before she found out all the clone stuff? Is this another case of Scott and Cosima missing the signs in the science?

Quote:
Love the lab under the comic store, wouldn't quite compare it to the bat cave though, hopefully it will be sufficient to meet their needs.
It's nice that Cosima seems to have a place of her own this season.

Quote:
Maybe no significant big "bit" players this year so it's back to season one. Michael Mando was credited every week, but didn't appear every week
That's true, although Ari is back again this season and he hasn't been in the credits yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlanded (View Post)
On the one hand, it's nice to think Beth didn't kill herself over a guy. On the other hand, can you say retcon?
I'm not sure I ever read Beth as killing herself over a guy. The clone stuff and the mess of it all combined with the pills and Paul monitoring her adding to it, definitely, but just for Paul? I'm not sure I buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
I really liked this episode! For me it definitely did have a back-to-season-one feeling, which I know they were going for. The focus felt narrower and the writing sharper than it's been for the last two seasons.
Agreed. A lot less all over the place than the last two seasons.

Quote:
The flashbacks were good, especially Beth's touching farewell to MK, but I hope they're almost done with the flashback thing. It'll start to feel gimmicky soon, I think.
According to what GM and JF said on After the Black this week there might be some more flashbacks to come.

Quote:
I'm more positive about Helena's pregnancy than others seem to be. To me it's very much in keeping with the themes of the show, as women's control over their bodies and especially reproduction is crucial to OB. I look forward to seeing how it plays out, and I also suspect that her pregnancy will connect to the science side of things in a meaningful way, perhaps helping the discovery of how and why SarH and Helena are different from the other clones.
That part of her pregnancy I can appreciate, but on the other side Helena is in no way mature enough to look after a child, let alone two. At this stage of the game I don't see her going off to stay with Mrs S like Sarah did and I'm not sure Alison would be okay with raising another clones children if she's not come to terms with her infertility.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Than Perfect (View Post)
That part of her pregnancy I can appreciate, but on the other side Helena is in no way mature enough to look after a child, let alone two. At this stage of the game I don't see her going off to stay with Mrs S like Sarah did and I'm not sure Alison would be okay with raising another clones children if she's not come to terms with her infertility.
You certainly have a point there! I was thinking of the pregnancy more in terms of story and themes, but from the perspective of good parenting no, Helena is nowhere near ready.

After seeing this episode, with Sarah going just with Fe and then by herself into dangerous situations, I wondered if part of the reason for the pregnancy was to sideline Helena in terms of participating in violence/danger. If Sarah has her kickass assassin sestra by her side it reduces the degree of danger and responsibility on her, and it seems like they really want to get back to the vibe this season of Sarah on her own exploring a scary mystery.

Actually, for the same reasons I'm beginning to think I understand the decision to take Delphine out of the picture, at least for the early part of this season. She knows so much more about the science, and from her position at DYAD and relationship with Leekie (ICK!)must have some knowledge of Neolution. If Sarah could just turn to her and say hey, what's up with the weird worm things, it takes away from the urgency of Sarah's investigation.

Once Sarah gets deeper into the mystery and starts to understand more about Neolution, the worms, etc., it would make a lot of sense for Delphine to return somehow and be an important ally in the fight against the Neos (as well as reuniting with her soulmate, finding a cure for the clone disease, and living happily ever after) so I remain hopeful that she's alive and will pop back up toward the end of the season. But given what they seem to want to do with this season, I can reluctantly concede that getting D out of the picture for now makes sense.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Her goodbye with MK was so sad!
That was SO heartbreaking I feel so sad for Beth when she looks at the pills and realizes that won't do anymore And I feel SO sorry for MK, she literally has no one and the one person she could count on is gone and she could do nothing about it

Quote:
I'm positive about it too And the sonogram scene was sweet, I love how she imediately wants to tell Sarah about it

Quote:
Alison's obviously angry that she can't have kids of her own but she does have a point about Helena not being ready for this.
I wish Alison could be happy with everything she accomplished in her life and the beautiful family she and her husband have (btw, that was the first Alison/Donnie scene in a long time that I actually liked). But I think I CAN understand her frustration when she heard about the twins, if getting pregnant was something that meant a lot to her. It's that classic why-everyone-else-but-me feeling we've all felt before. Not exactly a noble feeling, but certainly a human one.

But yeah, she's totally right that Helena is not ready for this.

Quote:
What do you mean by retcon? It never seemed to me like she killed herself because of Paul

Quote:
Loved the secret lab, and really really loved that Cosima is appropriately devasted and worried about Delphine. Also appreciated that she said she knew something was wrong the last time she saw her ... although it might have been nice if she'd said something at the time!!
I KNOW, right?? I think I can understand her, though, I mean, she obviously wasn't expecting Delphine to disappear, so she probably thought they'd have time to talk and everything... We always think we have time, don't we
Old 04-24-2016, 02:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
After seeing this episode, with Sarah going just with Fe and then by herself into dangerous situations, I wondered if part of the reason for the pregnancy was to sideline Helena in terms of participating in violence/danger. If Sarah has her kickass assassin sestra by her side it reduces the degree of danger and responsibility on her, and it seems like they really want to get back to the vibe this season of Sarah on her own exploring a scary mystery.

Actually, for the same reasons I'm beginning to think I understand the decision to take Delphine out of the picture, at least for the early part of this season. She knows so much more about the science, and from her position at DYAD and relationship with Leekie (ICK!)must have some knowledge of Neolution. If Sarah could just turn to her and say hey, what's up with the weird worm things, it takes away from the urgency of Sarah's investigation.

Once Sarah gets deeper into the mystery and starts to understand more about Neolution, the worms, etc., it would make a lot of sense for Delphine to return somehow and be an important ally in the fight against the Neos (as well as reuniting with her soulmate, finding a cure for the clone disease, and living happily ever after) so I remain hopeful that she's alive and will pop back up toward the end of the season. But given what they seem to want to do with this season, I can reluctantly concede that getting D out of the picture for now makes sense.
Both points make a lot of sense, but I still don't like that Delphine is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Khaleesi~ (View Post)
That was SO heartbreaking I feel so sad for Beth when she looks at the pills and realizes that won't do anymore And I feel SO sorry for MK, she literally has no one and the one person she could count on is gone and she could do nothing about it
What's worse is that MK (Who based on the comics has to be Veera right?) went into this not wanting to meet Beth in real life and basically didn't want to get attached. And then she does and this person she's come to trust and rely on is now gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Khaleesi~ (View Post)
I wish Alison could be happy with everything she accomplished in her life and the beautiful family she and her husband have (btw, that was the first Alison/Donnie scene in a long time that I actually liked). But I think I CAN understand her frustration when she heard about the twins, if getting pregnant was something that meant a lot to her. It's that classic why-everyone-else-but-me feeling we've all felt before. Not exactly a noble feeling, but certainly a human one.
Exactly. No doubt Alison knows how ridiculous her anger and jealousy is, but given how she's been raised with the expectation of a white picket fence and 2.5 kids, it definitely makes sense that she would in some ways feel like a failure for not being able to carry her own kids. I hope before Helena's pregnancy storyline goes too far that Alison is able to talk about it calmly with someone. It would also be really good if the kids she already has were mentioned.