New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2017, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Totally accurate.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Passionate Fan

I dunno.

I've seen several cast interviews where they've talked about all of the clones being in different places/being separated this season, so I mostly figure we've been seeing that play out.

It's a big change from most other seasons, when all of the sestras could pick up their newest clone phone and Alison could say something snippy about having too many other things on her plate to help Sarah rescue __________ (fill in the blank), or Sarah or Alison could call Fee to help with anything from "backup" (I still laugh at him saying, "I don't even know what backup is," since he's since turned into everything from being the guy kicking in the (admittedly flimsy) motel door to helping Alison through rehab to embracing his own search for genetic family....

We've seem them separated in many ways in the past, including them being separated by murder, guilt, fear, and searches to find love, but I feel like we started out this season with, for the first time, Neolution having such a strong grip on their psyches that it has been almost impossible for them to communicate, given the dangers to their identities as separate people.

Sarah, for example: badly injured on the island by Rachel, rebuffed in her attempt to save Cosima, then captured and forced to trade her daughter's biology for her freedom. Helena, having to hide in a convent to protect her bebies. Allison, being forced to confront her guilt that she hasn't been there as much for anyone other than trying to forget the people who have died/gone to jail because she's a clone who can't stand to lose her status in a suburban existence she's not even sure she enjoys. Krystal, just generally refusing to exixt that Clone Club is a thing and going rogue as a result. Rachel, well, I'm not entirely sure she was ever able to separate her psyche from being "loved"/given power by men in Neolution....

I mention this because it's blanking incredible that a single actress can still surprise me with the depths of emotion/logic/specificity of characterization that she's given us just this season.

I can't remember off the top of my head if we've actually had any clone-meets clone scenes this season except for the Cosima/Sarah "we've gotta go" scene, the Rachal/Cosima "I need someone to insert this really long ugly needle into my uterus scenes, and the Sarah knocks tea-cup out of Rachel's hand scenes (meaning that they were complicated enough that clones are touching so the technodolly stuff is insanely specific and probably technically complicated enough that the scenes have to be incredibly choreographed), so maybe that's why they seem so separate/fractured, but I think we're beginning to see movements of them moving back together.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^Yeah I see where you're coming from. There was also the Rachel/Alison+Leekie's head scene and the Sarah/Helena convent scene. But they aren't working together I think which is the problem more so than just them being in the same room together which is what you were getting at. Cosima has been totally cut off without communication to Sarah, and the others are AWOL completely. The only time two clones worked together was MK/Sarah and it didn't go well to put it nicely.

So I guess it's just ironic that they are "one" they are united, and they are united in the face of every force trying and failing to divide them (see Cosima's "he divides women") but they aren't united in the sense of working with each other, and helping each other unless it's help from a distance (eg. Cosima's discovery of LIN28A) and that is a bit annoying. I mean it'd be so cool for example if we got to see Sarah and Helena team up to take Ferdinand out or something, but it won't happen despite this being the final season when they might as well go all out.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Scully_fan,

The last thing I want to do is to disagree that they are "one."

I've gotten that vibe very clearly for almost five seasons now, and the humanistic vibe of that catch-phrase sends thrills down my spine, because it reminds me that you and I are both one, in that we're both part of the human race.

The problem being that the human race isn't "one" most of the time, and it's hard to walk down the street, let alone read a newspaper without figuring out just how many ways you and I can be divided by skillful, seductive arguments that find our most sensitive nerves to make us disagree strongly enough for us to spend several days fuming that we don't agree over every single aspect of a "good day" in our most basic daily lives that I feel like I'm being "yanked by my brain... chain... whatever" whenever evil, selfish people try to separate kind, loving human beings.

I'm going to respond by drawing what I hope is a relatively simple political analogy (and apologies to all of the creators of OB because they haven't exactly been secretive about wanting to tap into the current zeitgeist), but this isn't at all meant to twist anyone's knee-jerk political reactions, since similarly divisive periods have happened throughout history and "the fight for liberty" -- whichever side you're on, is always going to be polarizing.

The truth is that I really like history, but can recognize that many others on this board either disliked the classes that were required in school or just don't feel like stuff that happened 100 or 1,000 years ago matters today, and lots of people don't vote because they don't feel remotely connected to what's happening in current history.

So the themes I want to point out are immense divisions in the U.S. between both political parties (and especially to examples of measures that are deliberately floated using special rules that allow for a simple party majority to pass) is that internecine arguments within parties that prevent them from achieving majorities within election districts, so that winners and "losers" are often decided on the basis of whether or not any given "machine" (an ugly word, but it ably describes the ugliness that happens behind the scenes whenever there is money and power to be distributed) that can determine the differences between, for example, Mud deciding for a moment to help "the opposition," then wavering long enough to allow Susan's murder to happen instead of "P.T.'s.") are kinda ordinary, cyclical stuff that happens whenever, for instance, Susan agrees to work with P.T., despite despising his focus on ends she can't support, but then pulls back because Coady was precisely the rival who pushed for ends she found vile, with only P.T. and Coady left standing, as of this episode, but the villagers posed to storm the castle gates....

Then think of all of the other characters having to choose sides, when, in so many cases, the choices of sides depends on on the availability or resources or their own perceptions of costs/benefits, which has been to say that there are many factions, and we've all kinda tried to wrap our brains around the differences between Prolethethians, Neolutionists, Dyad, Topside, and Coady's unit in what seems to have been a branch of the U.S. Military, but that there are also individuals within each group, each with their own free will, often fighting for their own nebulous goals.

The sestras have been divided this season, as I've tried to say, by the fact that Neolution seems to have taken over all of game, which, in U.S. politics, is analogous to them holding the triumvirate within the U.S. Constitutional framework of the Presidency, the Congress (in both houses) and the Courts System, and in controlling decisions from the U.S. Supreme Court.

The sestras have been pushed into corners and are struggling against new plots and plans that they can't access because they can't share info easily, just as many politicians say one thing in public and the opposite in private.

But I take heart, at least within the "world" of OB, in the idea that Cosima is officially no longer trying to fight within her tiny corner of "the island" as she was, and that older heads like Mrs. S have found ways to get around Sarah's recent isolation from useful data; that Kira is finally on board with fighting back both against being protected from the truth and prevented from learning tricks to fight against the mere notion of being exploited; and that we've now got explicit info on how some of the political divisions may, possibly, be exploited (which is one of the known factors in how many political movements, at least in U.S. history, tend to swing like a pendulum as one side prevails for a time but is then countered when the "tricks" to its popularity begin to be understood by the "opposition").

Again, I want to give a huge shout out to Tatiana, but also to Kathryn and all of the on-screen people, because I didn't expect for there to be clear signs of another dance party or clone dinner after episode six (which is to say that there's a rather obviously necessary pattern to the various season throughout the show's history, so expecting ten episodes of Clone Club lurve in the final season was... never going to happen in a show whose roots are so clearly grounded in it being almost more of a thriller than "traditional" science fiction).

IOW, I'm starting to feel like that pattern is coming into focus, and I like what I'm seeing!

Last edited by hopeless romantic; 07-16-2017 at 04:47 PM
Old 07-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
it'd be so cool for example if we got to see Sarah and Helena team up to take Ferdinand
That'd be like a dream come true
Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Cormier (View Post)
That'd be like a dream come true
I'd like to respectfully disagree.

My dream for both Sarah and Helena is that they can both seem to find lasting peace by the end of the series.

It's really hard for me to imagine them recovering from all the trauma of their lives if they add another corpse to their combined consciences.

When I watched Allison try to come to grips with her belief that she had "murdered" Aynsley, I was very clear that her underlying truth was that she could have taken a different path, and I think, in a way, that the "message" of Orphan Black is that all of the clones (and all of us who watch them) would be different if circumstances in their/our lives had been different, so that they/we could have made different choices.

Honestly, we'll have to wait to see who gets the job of taking Ferdinand out of the equation (or if he's still part of it at all), but given that Helena hasn't met him yet that I recall, an identical twin take-down is something I can do without.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:15 PM
Moderator Support Team
Whole Lotta Woman

The OP is GORGEOUS for Tatiana.

Well done.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 08-13-2017, 04:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Brava Tatiana for 5 seasons worth of outstanding work.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So many characters, all played so perfectly.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep. After 50 episodes I still don't look at the clones and see one actress. It's insane, but she was that good.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

She absolutely was. Sometimes I still get surprised when I remember that they're all one person.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Passionate Fan

I've gotten to the point where I never get surprised to forget that they're all the same actress.

I just wanted to edit this to bring this article:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/vultu...han-black.html

to people's attention.

It's not as though we didn't already know everything in it, but it's very eloquent in expressing why we're all so right to have so much love for her characters that we can argue about how stuff that didn't make it into the final season was important enough for us to argue.

Last edited by hopeless romantic; 08-14-2017 at 09:48 AM
Old 08-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

ACTUAL QUEEN! That final Sestra's scene
Old 08-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Passionate Fan

I love, love, love this article:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/orpha...es-review.html