Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless romantic (View Post)
Why does this forum always devolve into a source of non-straight hatred?

Aren't there more important things to talk about than a person's sexuality?

Because I honestly can't imagine a better world if women only ship/hate other women based on their sexual relationships, let alone if men figure out that they can divide women on the basis of their sexual fantasies.
If you're referring to the clonecest this is a clone show..... with a large fanbase. Everyone is going to get shipped in every combination. The posts above are just poking a bit of fun at the dialogue Rachel is saying which because of her BDSM tendencies sound amusing in and out of context.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Than Perfect (View Post)
Is that post in reference to something specific we posted?
A list would not only be unladylike and also against the forums rules, but if, as Scully_fan pretends, "it's all good, we're just making fun of the fact that Rachel is into bondage," then why the constant complaints about Donnie scenes/Allison and Donnie scenes?

Why the constant complaints against other members of Clone Club who are clearly hetero like Adele or Art getting screentime, or just the constant complaints about plotlines you don't like because Sarah isn't exactly popular (and I get that, since her character was set up to be the protagonist of the series, but also to be the reverse of a Mary-Sue sort of protagonist.

Personally, I watch OB for both plot and characterization that I find both more meaningful on second and, indeed, on third viewings.

Yes, the underlying science is simultaneously dense (all of the stuff in season three about epigenetics is stuff that is universally hated on this board and probably won't be settled -- in the sense that science is ever settled -- in any form that can be relayed in a TED talk that can actually encapsulate the nuances OB has revealed and then quantifies them for... at least a couple of decades, and maybe not for centuries, but that's always the case with any emerging field of science that will change everything that has gone before as this field does.

One of the essential concepts to any understanding of epigenetics is that it is a field of science that strives to undercover genetic differences between individuals who are raised with the exact same genetic patterns but have differing life experiences that, over time, lead to them becoming distinctly different people and I hope you will understand that my love for the show goes far beyond the simple Nature/Nurture divide and even further beyond the question, "why does Cosima wear glasses when the other clones don't?"

At the risk of understating my point, to boil down every single science reveal on the show (which is the science stuff casual viewers seem to winge about most) devolves around issues that are so far removed from Rachel having power fantasies (which have been explicitly been explored within the lens of the series as mostly bits of rather banal farce, with Sarah being able to play Ferdinand like a cat by pointing a laser-pointer to Rachel seeming to almost-rape Paul -- and yeah, tell me what you want to say about how difficult it is for a woman to rape a man and then lets talk about that...) to talking about how the epigenetics arm of DNA research being able to determine when various proteins within the human body turn off/turn on specific genes (most of which were largely ignored during the "Human Genome Project" as being DNA that was only"junk" DNA), that they may be able to winnow down to "would you be straight if you'd been toilet trained earlier/later," and "might I be a lesbian if I'd been born in Spring instead of Fall?"

These are all heady questions to the scientists "the real Cosima" has consulted throughout the series, and I can't imagine them becoming any less important within my lifespan.

So, if all you're interested in is jokes about why Rachel is into bondage, well, I'd argue that there are many episodes that have revealed how her childhood feelings of neglect and abandonment encouraged her to get her kicks (sexual and otherwise) out of strapping Ferdinand to a bed with his socks still on (which I thought was a really funny bit of bondage humor, but maybe I'm a bit perverse to imagine another hetero character who was clearly twisted enough to exult in being struck with a cane and simultaneously wanted to dominate Rachel in other scenes) and presiding over a board that was, ultimately, answerable to a very powerful man, aka, P.T. (whether that's his real name or not).

Personally, I'm not entirely interested in "final results" re: would I have been a lesbian versus would I have become a Rachel, had I gotten more twinkies and less oatmeal as a child.

I live in the grace of the belief that I am who and what I am and that I believe that I am a kind, loving, and valuable member of society who wants to form "a better union" of people who have more to agree about than they should ever want to disagree....

... because I believe that OB's focus on the virtues that prevail, sometimes called, "humanity" over both "genetic errors" in individuals' DNA (the synthetic sequences to begin with, for sure!), problems within one's "upbringing," and the wonders that any individual's choice can create as soon as a single human being chooses love over partisan divisions are a part of what I believe can transform the world, so I plead with any of you who feel like isolating people who don't share your sexual predictions to accept your straight sestras and to try to understand our own life experiences within the lens of "that might have been me, if I'd had/had to endure...".

After all, what have you got to lose aside from getting some natural endorphins out of kindness and friendship, versus gaining a lot of stress by hating potential allies?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow.
Quote:
Why the constant complaints against other members of Clone Club who are clearly hetero like Adele or Art getting screentime,
Look I can only speak for myself and I like both those characters. To suggest their sexuality has anything to do with it is insulting, and frankly you need to check yourself before making these kinds of generalisations.

Quote:
Personally, I watch OB for both plot and characterization that I find both more meaningful on second and, indeed, on third viewings.
Not that you care, but *gasps* I do too.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

OB is one of those show's that nearly everytime you rewatch you find little things that you haven't notice before. They always put in so many little details.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
Wow.

Look I can only speak for myself and I like both those characters. To suggest their sexuality has anything to do with it is insulting, and frankly you need to check yourself before making these kinds of generalisations.

Not that you care, but *gasps* I do too.
I do care.

Otherwise I wouldn't have posted about my belief that OB is a show that should promote unity amongst men, women, and everyone who suffers under the constraints of "the human condition."

(Which is to say that my post wasn't intended to affront you so much as it was to confront others.)

I get bored by people who can't seem to be bothered to watch an entire episode all the way through, so I leave you with this wonderful and deserved high praise:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/vultu...&utm_medium=s1
Old 07-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's an amazing piece, thanks for sharing it
Old 07-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

There can never be enough praise for Tat's acting.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 07-12-2017, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Indeed.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Omg it's strange to see Katya. I'd forgotten about her.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It has been a long time since we saw her.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've always wanted to know more about her
Old 07-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. All we know is she was sick, her name, and her nationality.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Someone didn’t get the season tag line memo.

SO accurate
Old 07-15-2017, 02:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's true and very frustrating.