Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Have you ever seen the Black Cauldron? because holy sheez that is scary af.
Yep, watched it once and never again. Idk who at Disney thought that movies like that & Bambi were suitable for kids, but I think I should've given them my therapists bill

Quote:
mulan's "reflection" T B H.
Anthem.
Thirding this, that song is so emotional it guts me & every time I hear it I think of Mulan. Plus I had to sing it quite a few times at Theatre School as part of our musical section, and I hit them high notes like a boss

Quote:
She was afraid that if her secret came out she'd be persecuted for being different, for being a "monster" on top of the fact that she couldn't control her powers and her anxiety over almost killing her sister as a child snowballed into a complex. It's a great analogy for being people suffering with anxiety and trauma in rl imo as someone who has an anxiety disorder. It's a good subject for disney to tackle.
See when you say it like that it makes sense, but watching the movie I just do not get that message. I feel like it focuses too much on the flop romance, stupid Olaf and getting from one musical number to the next, and the plot takes a massive backseat.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I don't care for that one at all. Anything 2D made after 1999 is crap.
gtfo.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the Black Cauldron? because holy sheez that is scary af.
the black cauldron was based off the high fantasy ya/children's series, the prydain chronicles, and they're my favorite childhood books!! true story, JKR loves them too and she said they inspired her a lot (which if you've read TPC and HP, you can totally see it). i assure you that not only did disney absolutely mutilate the story by condescending the complex plots of 5 books into one film, but it's not even 1/4 as dark as the original children's books. like the horned king, in the books, is just a super powerful warrior dude who wears a human skull (with mounted deer antlers) as a mask and he wears no sleeves on his shirt/armor so people can see that they're permanently stained with blood from slaughtering innocent people. and that's just the tip of the iceberg, because he dies in the 1st book! so i don't find the disney movie scary at all.

fun fact, too, disney actually wanted to make TBC be a PG13/R rated movie, originally!

not to nerd out, but like i said, the books are my FAVE and i even have a huge tribute tattoo to them.

Quote:
Anthem.
Quote:
Thirding this, that song is so emotional it guts me & every time I hear it I think of Mulan.
mulan is my #1 favorite disney movie ever. i love this song.

Quote:
See when you say it like that it makes sense, but watching the movie I just do not get that message. I feel like it focuses too much on the flop romance, stupid Olaf and getting from one musical number to the next, and the plot takes a massive backseat.
IMHO disney used to be really great about putting clear messages in their movies, but now they get super muddled. that's why i liked moana -- the point of the movie was clear.
S T A R D U S T

Last edited by majesdane; 06-10-2017 at 12:36 PM
Old 06-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
when you say it like that it makes sense, but watching the movie I just do not get that message
Same
Old 06-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

England ladies won 4-0 today. A promising platform from which to prepare for the Euro's. I kind of think we may have an outside chance of winning....... maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBleyton4ever (View Post)
Well the message was pretty clear to me sooooo maybe I was more engrossed in it than you guys?

Quote:
gtfo.
It's the truth tho. Oh wait... no The princess and the frog is good, it's not a classic, but it's good. I revise my statement. Anything 2D after 1999, with the exception of 2009, is bad.

Quote:
the black cauldron was based off the high fantasy ya/children's series, the prydain chronicles, and they're my favorite childhood books!! true story, JKR loves them too and she said they inspired her a lot (which if you've read TPC and HP, you can totally see it). i assure you that not only did disney absolutely mutilate the story by condescending the complex plots of 5 books into one film, but it's not even 1/4 as dark as the original children's books. like the horned king, in the books, is just a super powerful warrior dude who wears a human skull (with mounted deer antlers) as a mask and he wears no sleeves on his shirt/armor so people can see that they're permanently stained with blood from slaughtering innocent people. and that's just the tip of the iceberg, because he dies in the 1st book! so i don't find the disney movie scary at all.
Oh really? I had no idea but these actually sound interesting! The film to this day freaks me out though so I can't imagine what the books are like.

Quote:
mulan is my #1 favorite disney movie ever.
Mine are Sleeping Beauty and Bambi and The Lion King and The Lion King 2 AND then Mulan in that order. So it makes my top 5. (Don't judge me on the LK2 it's actually quality and the ONLY disney sequel worth any salt).
Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess it's just things don't always work for everyone the same way. I have an anxiety disorder as well, but at no point in this movie I felt Elsa was a representation of that or that the movie had any intention of tackling this topic, this was actually the first time I heard this about Frozen. But it's great to know it was meaningful to you, that's the beauty of art, isn't it, everyone can look at it in a different way
Old 06-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
that's the beauty of art, isn't it, everyone can look at it in a different way
100% true.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Well the message was pretty clear to me sooooo maybe I was more engrossed in it than you guys?
In my defense when I watched Frozen I was going through a difficult time suffering insomnia + anxiety, so it was my last resort at 3am for something to help me sleep ..... which in fairness to the movie it did wonderfully If I manage to look past my hatred of Olaf due to commercialization & that bloody awful 'do you wanna build a snowman' song, I might attempt it again over summer or at Christmas when it's forced upon me as usual

Quote:
(Don't judge me on the LK2 it's actually quality and the ONLY disney sequel worth any salt).
I loved LK2, dare I say more than the original since it didn't leave me completely traumatized (still to this day I can't watch Mufasa's death scene or when Simba's finding him dead like seriously Disney! Who the fck thought this was suitable for a kids film?!) & was a good continuation of the story. Despite that LK is my fav Disney film mostly for the fact it's the first I saw in the cinema & other personal reasons. After that would probably be Toy Story & Snow White. Never saw Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid didn't do much for me despite every girl in my class loving it, Hercules was quite cool along with Mulan. I just really hate the way Disney moved away from old school animation.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
I grew up with the Disney renaissance therefore to me Disney has to be musical. I accept nothing else and I love it. It's just classic.
Agreed. I think I've enjoyed Disney more now as an adult than I did as a kid tbh. Like I've been meaning to rewatch all the ones I didn't like when I was younger to see if I like it more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
man, us wicked fans from back in the day (i mean really back) really are super disgruntled towards idina. people can't understand now why i don't like her.
I'm curious why?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:14 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
The election results went the way I wanted but now the worst coalition imaginable seems to be happening and I just give the **** up tbh.
I have to agree, I was delighted when I saw the results Friday morning, made me wish that I'd stayed up to watch the results come in! Just a pity that the Cons did so well in Scotland, had they not we might now have a Labour minority government with them supported by the Lib Dems and the SNP and maybe the Green Party too. But instead we have a Tory government propped up by a party who received half the votes that the Green Party got. Woo whoo for democracy!!!!! Nice to see young people out there voting, Canterbury wouldn't have happened without them. We were very political at school, something I didn't notice working for 10 years in education so great to see them engaged once again. One thing I've never got is why young people vote tory, as you get older yeah, maybe, but young???????? Only had one canvasser knock on my door, Tory, he asked who'd I'd be voting for, told him I didn't know but it wouldn't be for them.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOT (View Post)
I have to agree, I was delighted when I saw the results Friday morning, made me wish that I'd stayed up to watch the results come in! Just a pity that the Cons did so well in Scotland, had they not we might now have a Labour minority government with them supported by the Lib Dems and the SNP and maybe the Green Party too. But instead we have a Tory government propped up by a party who received half the votes that the Green Party got. Woo whoo for democracy!!!!! Nice to see young people out there voting, Canterbury wouldn't have happened without them. We were very political at school, something I didn't notice working for 10 years in education so great to see them engaged once again. One thing I've never got is why young people vote tory, as you get older yeah, maybe, but young???????? Only had one canvasser knock on my door, Tory, he asked who'd I'd be voting for, told him I didn't know but it wouldn't be for them.
I think the really sad thing is that, yes the young people did turn up, the turnout increasing from 43% to 72% a phenomenal difference, and YET we've still ended up with the ****tiest potential government, the complete opposite of what we wanted and May is an absolute sell out for doing a deal with the devil. So I can see young people next time just wondering why they should even bother, you know? Hopefully it will spur them on to keep trying for change, but it could go the other way.

And god even knows about the Scots. I guess it was the contingent opposed to another indyref voting for the Tories, but still they've ****ed the rest of us over by doing so. It's just the worst.

Quote:
Like I've been meaning to rewatch all the ones I didn't like when I was younger to see if I like it more now.
I've done that and I think the most eye opening one for me was watching Hunchback of the Notre Dame with an adult eye because omg that is dark. Frollo basically sings about his desire to rape Esmeralda.

Quote:
I loved LK2
Old 06-11-2017, 04:36 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
England ladies won 4-0 today. A promising platform from which to prepare for the Euro's. I kind of think we may have an outside chance of winning....... maybe.
i'm rooting for the engwnt in the world cup/olympics. i like them a lot.
Quote:
Oh really? I had no idea but these actually sound interesting! The film to this day freaks me out though so I can't imagine what the books are like.
the books have some pretty ham-fisted messages (though tbh they were written in like, the 1960s, for kids) but they're honestly great! complex storytelling and world-building, an awesome female heroine .... they're not scary, but they can be pretty grim at times (but not grimdark for the sake of it, it's just that they were based off of welsh legends).
Quote:
(Don't judge me on the LK2 it's actually quality and the ONLY disney sequel worth any salt).
i like TLK2!

Quote:
I'm curious why?
there were a lot of things, and tbh i can't remember them all now because it was like, 10+ years ago. one thing i remember clearly is that she was SUPER rude to fans (which is poor etiquette in broadway; you don't have to stop and sign things for people at the stage door ALL the time, but there's a certain politeness factor involved, and i remember idina had a reputation for being just mean-rude to people at stage doors). there was also the matter of how the part of elphaba was never actually written for her, it was written for another actress, and she was basically handed the role just because she got an tony award, despite her voice not being suited for the role ... which lead her to complain a few years later in an interview that the show ~ruined her voice and she hated the part ... only to then go on and take the role in the london west end production of wicked. i remember that rustled a lot of people's jimmies because she bashed the role but then she went and played it again?? i'm sure there was more, but this is what's always stuck with me.
S T A R D U S T
Old 06-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
there were a lot of things, and tbh i can't remember them all now because it was like, 10+ years ago. one thing i remember clearly is that she was SUPER rude to fans (which is poor etiquette in broadway; you don't have to stop and sign things for people at the stage door ALL the time, but there's a certain politeness factor involved, and i remember idina had a reputation for being just mean-rude to people at stage doors). there was also the matter of how the part of elphaba was never actually written for her, it was written for another actress, and she was basically handed the role just because she got an tony award, despite her voice not being suited for the role ... which lead her to complain a few years later in an interview that the show ~ruined her voice and she hated the part ... only to then go on and take the role in the london west end production of wicked. i remember that rustled a lot of people's jimmies because she bashed the role but then she went and played it again?? i'm sure there was more, but this is what's always stuck with me.
Cringing. None of that is good and I can totally see why a lot of people would dislike her over that.

Quote:
I've done that and I think the most eye opening one for me was watching Hunchback of the Notre Dame with an adult eye because omg that is dark. Frollo basically sings about his desire to rape Esmeralda.
I don't think I ever liked that one, thankfully. Definitely not watching that one again.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:05 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
I haven't watched that movie since I was a kid..... definitely think I need to rewatch because wtf

On a side note I need more people to vote for Paige on the POTM. I know she won't win, but since I'm not voting for any of the mains due to disqualification if they win twice in a year I need Paige's voting tally to be more respectable

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/06/per...may-polls.html

Last edited by SRBleyton4ever; 06-11-2017 at 06:28 AM
Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Why do my parents ALWAYS need to ruin Sundays for me??
Old 06-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've never really liked Idina's voice anyway it's so brash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBleyton4ever (View Post)
I haven't watched that movie since I was a kid..... definitely think I need to rewatch because wtf
Just listen:

I actually love the music of hunchback, the best of the 90s from a musical standpoint, but damn if it isn't ****ed up.