Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
i watched 5 minutes of cricket once and got a headache. the most complicated sport i can watch is field hockey. (though i've been told by non-americans that american football is impossible to understand )
I've never thought of cricket as being complicated, though after watching it forty years I'm still not too sure about some of the fielding positions, short leg, slips and silly mid on I get, but the covers still baffle me! I enjoyed playing field hockey at school, unfortunately we didn't get to play it too often, football, I've two left feet, rugby, I'm a bit lightweight, cross country, I hate running, and cricket, I can't hit the ball were no goers for me!!

I'm not sure about American Football being impossible to understand, bar the mis-nomenclature. It's the three hours plus to play a game of 60 minutes that always got me.

I've had some interesting nicknames over the years, though I'm keeping them all to myself as I don't like many of them. I don't like pal, mate or bud either. I have an acquaintance who occasionally calls me bud, arrrgyh!!

Belated birthday felicitations to you both.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Lol cricket is not that complicated. You hit the ball and run, that's it. Maybe the score keeping could look less complicated but it's a very easy game to follow and play.

Quote:
I'm not sure about American Football being impossible to understand
The only thing that confuses me about American football is the terminology omg. It's a whole other language.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'm not sure about American Football being impossible to understand

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 05-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ I'm sure about that

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys!
Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
The only thing that confuses me about American football is the terminology omg. It's a whole other language
S T A R D U S T
Old 05-24-2017, 03:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Omg, this eye twitching is really annoying me now. It's been twitching for a week now and despite having a massage and then going to acupuncture I still can't get it to stop! I wish getting rid of stress was as easy as getting stressed in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
The only thing that confuses me about American football is the terminology omg. It's a whole other language.
I don't think I understand any kind of football. Australian football seems so uninteresting and I can't for the life of me understand why they need to wear such short shorts. Is American football gridiron or is that a completely different sport?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

Sports confuse me so much
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 05-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Than Perfect (View Post)
Omg, this eye twitching is really annoying me now. It's been twitching for a week now and despite having a massage and then going to acupuncture I still can't get it to stop! I wish getting rid of stress was as easy as getting stressed in the first place.

I don't think I understand any kind of football. Australian football seems so uninteresting and I can't for the life of me understand why they need to wear such short shorts. Is American football gridiron or is that a completely different sport?
WTF is australian football?

I mean, in the US, american football is obviously just football, but they call actual football soccer, so that is probably why

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 05-25-2017, 02:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvers (View Post)
WTF is australian football?

I mean, in the US, american football is obviously just football, but they call actual football soccer, so that is probably why
Google 'Aussie rules' cause I sure as hell can't explain it.

We call European football, soccer as well. And our football is Aussie rules.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 AM
Ultimate Fan

Mum: What do you fancy doing for your birthday?
Me: I'm not fussed, you know I'm low maintenance, but we have talked about going on a day trip to Paris before
*Approximately 3 months later*
Mum: Book the tickets we're going to Paris

We have been talking about it for like 3yrs but stuff always comes up and I kept saying to my mum I wanted to go travelling around the UK this summer (my butt aint doing no planes) ahead of Uni so I weren't THAT fussed about Paris if it was a choice between the two but my mum's like 'no we're doing Paris' and voila! We actually are. She's a lil miffed it's 3 weeks after my birthday, but I have a 2 and a half month break after I've finished college and the first 2 weeks of that are already booked up with sleeping
Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

From what I remember Paris is nice Sam. I went 20 years ago for the 5th Disneyland anniversary, and I remember taking a boat tour on the Seine and watching the Moomins in French.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Than Perfect (View Post)
*tuts* I'm sure there's a lot of people in South America and Africa that would have something to say about that descriptor.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Remember I told you about how I sucked at the speaking section of TOEFL? Guess what, there was an audio issue and my (awful) answers couldn't be heard Thank you, Jesus! The bad thing is I will have to take the whole test again, but at least I don't have to pay, since it was a tech problem, and it's only in July, so I'll have more time to prepare
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ju! God bless the failure of technology.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Is American football gridiron or is that a completely different sport?
gridiron is just another word for american football, but we VERY rarely use that word.

Quote:
GOOD, IT'S NOT JUST THE US (canadians call it soccer too -- they have their own version of american football). funnily enough, the english word soccer really DID originate from england; it's just that over time it was phased out (like prior to the 1970s or so).

and ju, good for you! told you not to worry.
S T A R D U S T
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thank god for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBleyton4ever (View Post)
Mum: What do you fancy doing for your birthday?
Me: I'm not fussed, you know I'm low maintenance, but we have talked about going on a day trip to Paris before
*Approximately 3 months later*
Mum: Book the tickets we're going to Paris
Yay for Paris! That is one neat birthday present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
*tuts* I'm sure there's a lot of people in South America and Africa that would have something to say about that descriptor.
Well since Twist said that the word soccer came from England I think it's fair to call it European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Cormier (View Post)
Remember I told you about how I sucked at the speaking section of TOEFL? Guess what, there was an audio issue and my (awful) answers couldn't be heard Thank you, Jesus! The bad thing is I will have to take the whole test again, but at least I don't have to pay, since it was a tech problem, and it's only in July, so I'll have more time to prepare
Glad that all worked out, Ju!