Old 04-07-2017, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Fan

The Police Station [OT] #26: I'm all out of puns so this will have to make do

Off Topic #26

Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread!

Quote:
Oh I have, a LOT, and you can't say anything bad about the show because it's SUCH an important show, and if you didn't like it you didn't GET it or you have NO empathy for people. What's interesting, though, is that supposedly, the show is meant to generate discussion, but how can there be discussion if the fans can't accept the show getting criticism and just assume things from people who had a problem with it??
I'm glad I haven't seen the hype on it. That's just crappy fan activity then and it entirely misses a big point of the show. Half the show was about people incorrectly making judgements about people and how it had bigger negative effects than the people believed it would. It's unfortunate that they missed that.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Fan

Welcome

Quote:
Oh I have, a LOT, and you can't say anything bad about the show because it's SUCH an important show, and if you didn't like it you didn't GET it or you have NO empathy for people. What's interesting, though, is that supposedly, the show is meant to generate discussion, but how can there be discussion if the fans can't accept the show getting criticism and just assume things from people who had a problem with it??
I have seen wayyy too many people claim that this is THE show to watch if you want to understand bullying, claiming we all need someone like the main dude in their life etc & it's absurd. Everyone rushes to condemn the likes of GOT for promoting violence against women & having unnecessary scenes of assault, yet all anyone can say about 13 is they felt uncomfortable? No-one talking or bashing for being so graphic? Just give time stamps for people to avoid if they're trigger, but you should still TOTALLY watch a show that needs this many trigger warnings in the first place because it's SOOO important

I was gonna buy the book Before I Fall cause I came across the movie trailer which was interesting, but then I see people comparing it to 13 and I'm just like So while I'm deliberating I bought the first book in the Engelsfors Trilogy. Oh & I found out thankfully before time I'd missed 4 tasks on my production assignment so spent my afternoon/early evening yesterday rushing to complete
Old 04-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Master Fan

yikes. had the show on my netflix queue to watch this hiatus, but I guess I shouldn't bother. glad I'll be busy with twin peaks and whatever gay scraps they feed us with wynonna earp.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 04-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't know what I did this weekend, but it somehow feels like it's been longer than just two days. Maybe I was just really well rested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBleyton4ever (View Post)
I have seen wayyy too many people claim that this is THE show to watch if you want to understand bullying, claiming we all need someone like the main dude in their life etc & it's absurd. Everyone rushes to condemn the likes of GOT for promoting violence against women & having unnecessary scenes of assault, yet all anyone can say about 13 is they felt uncomfortable? No-one talking or bashing for being so graphic? Just give time stamps for people to avoid if they're trigger, but you should still TOTALLY watch a show that needs this many trigger warnings in the first place because it's SOOO important
I wonder if people who are calling it, "THE show" to watch about bullying are saying that simply because there aren't really any shows which put bullying in such a central point of the show? At least I can't really think of any. And I wonder if these people are saying it because they've never been bullied or had any of the experiences (assault or otherwise) that Hannah had? Because yes, it shows bullying but it doesn't really show anything about how you can get past it or how to help people who are being bullied, except for one kid, and everyone else is just out to save themselves.

I don't watch GOT, but the graphic scenes in 13 Reasons Why are waaaay more graphic than I expected out of the show. And super unnecessary. Are people really just saying that they should just get the time stamps to avoid the graphic scenes? Lucky them that they've been fortunate enough not to be triggered by anything, because even before you get close to the rape episodes 13 Reasons Why is already difficult to watch. Hell, episode one hit me really hard and that barely touches the surface.

If I'd been seeing all those things said about the show I definitely wouldn't have watched it. The show is good to start the discussion but it's not as amazing as those people seem to be making it.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Moderator Support Team

tftnt!

Quote:

Yesterday, I saw a review on Instagram ending with "Who did you kill today?", I mean, what the actual ****??
what the actual ****

Quote:
this! exactly! jfc i can't say this enough.

have people really never watched shows like degrassi? yeah i guess it can be ~after school specialy~ at times, but they handle EVERYTHING people face in high school. they've done sexual assault/rape, suicide, bullying, school shootings, self-injury ... and they were all actually handled REALLY well. in fact the self-injury episode with ellie (episode 3x08) is the only tv show/movie i've ever seen that i felt actually captured what self-injury due to depression/anxiety is like. it's almost like you don't need graphic stuff to make a point??? smdh.
S T A R D U S T
Old 04-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Moderator Support Team

Dp
S T A R D U S T
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Ugh, how about people who defend Netflix saying the graphic scenes are NOT for shock value, that it was actually intended to show things the way they ARE. Really?? So that's why in the book she takes pills, but in the show she slits her wrists?? There are suicides that look more real than others, is that it?? Give me a ****ing break
Old 04-10-2017, 12:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Netflix shows are generally a lot more graphic than other tv shows. The things they show in the Marvel tv shows are more graphic than most of the Marvel movies!

I literally hadn't seen anyone talking about 13 Reasons Why, but suddenly there's all these people at work and on my twitter watching and talking about it. Just in the last day or so.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Cormier (View Post)
Ugh, how about people who defend Netflix saying the graphic scenes are NOT for shock value, that it was actually intended to show things the way they ARE. Really?? So that's why in the book she takes pills, but in the show she slits her wrists?? There are suicides that look more real than others, is that it?? Give me a ****ing break

look, 6H had a storyline where celia tried to commit suicide by slitting her wrists -- and this was back when the writers still had a clue, so it was done in a very "tasteful" way, with minimal blood (and us not seeing her actually CUT) and very ~fade to black~. and oh look, it was incredibly effective, because everything about the act focused on celia's depression and mental/emotional exhaustion rather than making it look ~gory and ~~realistic.

the fact that they'd change it from pills to wrist slitting just turns my stomach.
S T A R D U S T
Old 04-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Fan

Down to the last 4 eps of GH and I never realized how much I needed spin-offs of Teresa/Angela sniping at each other & Ayala/Hernando's police adventures in my life sans Diego I like every character on this show, but I really could've done with Sofia having more sibling scenes/screen time in general because I absolutely love her. Like it showed how much she'd progressed from the beginning of the show when she found out Alfredo had lied about being a Duke but didn't care, and instead encouraged him to be honest And I still low-key liked the idea of Julio/Maite because I'm trash

Oh and going by the LCDC trailer I'm putting a dollar on Francisco & Lidia hooking up within like an ep of meeting again. Like I haven't even watched El Internado yet & I could still feel the chemistry between Yon & Blanca, but then again Yon could make chemistry with a paper bag work
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Like it showed how much she'd progressed from the beginning of the show when she found out Alfredo had lied about being a Duke but didn't care, and instead encouraged him to be honest
don't forget her character arc of becoming a cold-blooded murderer.

Quote:
And I still low-key liked the idea of Julio/Maite because I'm trash
everyone can fight me, idec, i'll never not be convinced that the writers were totally going to make maite a lesbian crushing on her bff, but at the last second they backed out. it was DEFINITELY going to happen.

Quote:
Oh and going by the LCDC trailer I'm putting a dollar on Francisco & Lidia hooking up within like an ep of meeting again. Like I haven't even watched El Internado yet & I could still feel the chemistry between Yon & Blanca, but then again Yon could make chemistry with a paper bag work
yes, francisco/lidia is SOOOOO going to be the main otp of this show. they had great chemistry on EI so i was really hoping that they'd be a couple on this too! they actually make het couples enjoyable to watch.

kind of a bummer tho, there's vague hints that sara (the girl's "boss") may be carlota's LI, and i realllllyyyyy don't want that, because i don't like the actress who plays sara at ALL. (plus the actress who plays carlota? irl her boyfriend cheated on her with the actress who plays sara, soooooo no thank you. they'll have no chemistry.) so i'm crossing my fingers that carlota's female LI isn't sara. i know the f/f storyline won't be a major thing in LCdC, but that's okay, it's like the cherry on top for me.
S T A R D U S T
Old 04-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Oh, btw, my mom is now addicted to Mexican sows She's currently watching La Reina del Sur, which was Netflix's suggestion after Ingobernable (same actress)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
don't forget her character arc of becoming a cold-blooded murderer.
I really do love how she felt guilty for that for like 3 eps & then she's off screwing a priest. It's one of those rare shows where sans Diego (because I hate his douche butt forever) I can forgive these characters for anything cause they're all as bad as each other & it's so wonderful to watch.

Quote:
everyone can fight me, idec, i'll never not be convinced that the writers were totally going to make maite a lesbian crushing on her bff, but at the last second they backed out. it was DEFINITELY going to happen.
I agree, like that look she gives when she walks in on Julio/Alicia kissing at the beginning of the season & when Alicia decides to runaway with Julio? Not the look of someone who just has platonic feelings for you. But as the season goes on there's like a tonal shift as she has more scenes with Julio & they're going back & forth with the banter.

Quote:
yes, francisco/lidia is SOOOOO going to be the main otp of this show. they had great chemistry on EI so i was really hoping that they'd be a couple on this too! they actually make het couples enjoyable to watch.

kind of a bummer tho, there's vague hints that sara (the girl's "boss") may be carlota's LI, and i realllllyyyyy don't want that, because i don't like the actress who plays sara at ALL. (plus the actress who plays carlota? irl her boyfriend cheated on her with the actress who plays sara, soooooo no thank you. they'll have no chemistry.) so i'm crossing my fingers that carlota's female LI isn't sara. i know the f/f storyline won't be a major thing in LCdC, but that's okay, it's like the cherry on top for me.
Wow, it's like Spanish TV has as much drama off screen as it has on. My bare minimum requirement for f/f storylines is they aren't killed off. Cheating for the sake of drama annoys the crap out of me, but I'm more touchy to being needlessly killed off these days so as long as they don't do that I'm good with it. I'm really hoping I'll at least be able to start watching EI this week. Yes 7 seasons is too much & I will never stop complaining over how long these eps are, but I thought cause I'm an idiot that thought the seasons were a stupidly long length & they're not so I think I can deal with that
Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Which Spanish tv show is this? It sounds super dramatic.

Hoping to get some quality tv watching in this weekend. I've got an extra day off the Easter long weekend cause my friend has a wedding on Thursday, so only one more day of work!