Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't get what the big deal is about Beth
That's okay, you don't have to get it I'm just fond of the deceased clones and wish we could've seen more of who they were. I'm curious about Beth because all we saw her do was jump in front of a train, we never got one word from her. Everything we got was Sarah pretending to be her, and Sarah having a conversation with what she thought Beth was like and what she thought Beth would say. So I was happy to see the actual Beth speaking in the new sneak peek and I'm excited for that It'd be great to see Katja and Jennifer too, but I'm probably asking for too much
Old 04-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't get what the big deal is about Beth
That's okay, you don't have to get it I'm just fond of the deceased clones and wish we could've seen more of who they were. I'm curious about Beth because all we saw her do was jump in front of a train, we never got one word from her. Everything we got was Sarah pretending to be her, and Sarah having a conversation with what she thought Beth was like and what she thought Beth would say. So I was happy to see the actual Beth speaking in the new sneak peek and I'm excited for that It'd be great to see Katja and Jennifer too, but I'm probably asking for too much
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Khaleesi~ (View Post)
Me too.

Paul's final line to Sarah, "it was never Beth that I loved." has haunted me.

Even assuming that he was infiltrating Dyad for the military, the idea that he attempted to make a woman love him enough for him to surveil every aspect of her life is even creepier (to me) than what Rachel did to him when they were having sex (and seeing that footage has scarred me). But I kinda need to know why Beth was important enough for such a hottie (because anyone who doesn't recognize that BDP made Fee swoon probably doesn't have a pulse) to become her monitor....

(And yeah, I'd totally be in for hours and hours of Katja and Jennifer footage, plot-based or not. I just worry that randomly following Tatiana with a camera would be weird...).
Old 04-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Even assuming that he was infiltrating Dyad for the military, the idea that he attempted to make a woman love him enough for him to surveil every aspect of her life is even creepier (to me) than what Rachel did to him when they were having sex
VERY creepy indeed. It always amazes me how quick people (I say "people" in general, as in the people I met in other OB groups) were to judge Delphine for the lies she told Cosima to get close to her, yet were totally okay with Paul and Donnie The three of them did the exact same thing, they lied to get close to the clones and eventually got involved with them, the only difference is we got the beginning of the lies for Delphine/Cosima, we never got to see the lies Donnie and Paul told Alison and Beth to get close to them, we don't know how Beth found out about Paul, we don't know so many things...Still, the way Beth is so cold to Paul clearly shows how she can't stand him anymore, knowing he's her monitor. I always felt so sad for her

Btw, I really wanna see Alison/Beth scenes

Quote:
I'd totally be in for hours and hours of Katja and Jennifer footage
YES
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Khaleesi~ (View Post)
VERY creepy indeed. It always amazes me how quick people (I say "people" in general, as in the people I met in other OB groups) were to judge Delphine for the lies she told Cosima to get close to her, yet were totally okay with Paul and Donnie The three of them did the exact same thing, they lied to get close to the clones and eventually got involved with them, the only difference is we got the beginning of the lies for Delphine/Cosima, we never got to see the lies Donnie and Paul told Alison and Beth to get close to them, we don't know how Beth found out about Paul, we don't know so many things...Still, the way Beth is so cold to Paul clearly shows how she can't stand him anymore, knowing he's her monitor. I always felt so sad for her

Btw, I really wanna see Alison/Beth scenes

YES
I think that the aspect of OB that pulls so hard at me is the very fact that studying even a small group of women so closely is such a hot-button issue.

Their mothers were deceived into carrying children they believed to have been their biological kids, which triggers so many aspects of Animal Farm and other literary tropes that it's ridiculous that they've packed so many horrors into a single bag, but can you even imagine being a mother, who only wanted a child, who was impregnated without knowledge with the human equivalent of a lab rat?!?

As a result, all of the monitors over the years (presumably their parents were their first monitors) simply added up into the Pauls and the Donnies and the Delphines.... And almost all of them presumably thought they had good motives for being with them (although, in Krystal's case, we definitely got told that her monitors were changed out at a regular enough rate that she noticed that they weren't always into being with her so much as that they seemed to have a contract...) that we can't doubt that any of them (except Paul) were mostly natural or merely there out of mutual love....

And yeah, that makes me want to know how Beth met Alison and Cosima for the first time. It also makes me want to know why she didn't identify with them as her sisters enough for that shared misery to have become comfort.

Not related but news I want to share about the importance of body image:

http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-t...ck-body-image/

My very favorite quote was this:

Quote:
I go to a spa in LA sometimes, a Korean day spa, and all the women there are nude. And I've never felt so in love with the human form as when I'm walking around and seeing all those bodies, thinking, Oh my god, we're all just built so differently. And every single body is beautiful. I will never understand that shame, and the reinforcement of that shame. It's crazy.
How insane is it that someone who spends hours and hours in a chair, wearing different hair and makeup on a daily basis, notices that her body doesn't change, despite the fact that the characters she plays are so different -- so that she notices that being built differently shouldn't be a source of shame but rather a source of pride (okay, now I'm just going to go in the corner and hug myself and cry a bit, lol).

Last edited by hopeless romantic; 04-12-2016 at 06:58 PM
Old 04-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
VERY creepy indeed. It always amazes me how quick people (I say "people" in general, as in the people I met in other OB groups) were to judge Delphine for the lies she told Cosima to get close to her, yet were totally okay with Paul and Donnie
That's what I call the "d*ck pass" as in if you got one, you get a pass for everything crappy you do because you're a hunk so who cares? (talking about Paul here, obviously, sorry Donnie )

Quote:
The three of them did the exact same thing, they lied to get close to the clones and eventually got involved with them, the only difference is we got the beginning of the lies for Delphine/Cosima, we never got to see the lies Donnie and Paul told Alison and Beth to get close to them
I have to disagree about that though. I mean, I agree that Delphine should be cut some slack but they all have different situations.

Donnie didn't get recruited before he was with Alison. At least that's my understanding of it and that's why he was so mad when he found out what he'd been used for. He had no idea, poor naive dummy. That doesn't excuse the lying but he really thought it was harmless.

Delphine started out lying to Cosima to get close to her, sure, but it seems out of concern. Leakie told her the clones were in danger.

Paul was just some jerky spy jerk on a mission to save the Castor a-holes and used Beth to get what he wanted. Then he falls in love with Sarah and kinda helps (to his own gain) and that's supposed to make it all better?

I'm curious to see more about Beth but I wish they hadn't brought him back. Dylan Bruce seems like a nice guy who loves the show but his acting is just not on par with the rest of the cast and I haven't missed Paul.

Quote:
Their mothers were deceived into carrying children they believed to have been their biological kids, which triggers so many aspects of Animal Farm and other literary tropes that it's ridiculous that they've packed so many horrors into a single bag, but can you even imagine being a mother, who only wanted a child, who was impregnated without knowledge with the human equivalent of a lab rat?!?
Damn how I wish we got more on their mothers. The bit with Alison's mom was entertaining, and cathartic for Alison, but it didn't go far enough for me.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 04-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I mean, I agree that Delphine should be cut some slack but they all have different situations.
I never said they didn't have different situations, I just said they all lied - that's what I meant by "the exact same thing"
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 AM
Master Fan

show is probably not going to live to see a season 5 if ratings don't go up. 401 was the series absolute low, scoring a horrific 0.1 in the demo and only 230k viewers.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by root (View Post)
show is probably not going to live to see a season 5 if ratings don't go up. 401 was the series absolute low, scoring a horrific 0.1 in the demo and only 230k viewers.
Really? Wow. Well they're ****ed.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

Having been the mod for a show that's been on the bubble for 7 seasons, let me tell you, sometimes ratings are not the whole picture.

When's the last time anyone mentioned BBCA in an article about tv? They're getting more press and awards than ever before. I don't think the ratings are vital.

They should probably switch back to Saturdays though.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 04-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The ratings might've been low but apparently they were tracking really well on the social media.

Thursday nights are tough and quite honestly it really didn't seem like they did much promotion for the general public. Heck, even the fandom thought it was really slow. Then that article that came out a couple of days before the premiere definitely did not help them.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

ratings this low? yes, they are. it's 57% down from last year. that means half of its audience is gone. and it is a season premiere where ratings are usually the highest.

Quote:
They're getting more press and awards than ever before
that's inaccurate. the show is nowhere near as critically acclaimed or hyped as the first two seasons were. BBCA is an american [cable] network and yet - with the exception of tatiana's one TCA award two years ago - the show has only ever won awards in canada. the PR was a mess this season - I've seen quite a few people on twitter complaining they didn't even know the show was coming back. and you can tell the lack of interest by how many notes and/or likes/retweets a post/tweet by their official social media will get when compared to previous seasons. we have always praised the show's social media here, but it's been severely lacking these last few months. and that hurts fan engagement.

at the end of the day, it is not a fresh show anymore and its nearing its conclusion, anyway. thanks to its prestige, BBCA is likely going to give OB a 5th and final season to wrap it up, regardless of how bad the ratings get.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]

Last edited by danvers; 04-16-2016 at 05:25 PM
Old 04-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
then again, it is not a fresh show anymore and its nearing its conclusion, anyway. thanks to its prestige, BBCA is likely going to give OB a 5th and final season to wrap it up, regardless of how bad the ratings get.
I'd definitely prefer the show to end where they (supposedly) intended it to then go on forever. And hey, maybe if they go back to the mentality that no one is watching that S5 will finish on a really good note.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'd definitely prefer the show to end where they (supposedly) intended it to then go on forever
same. that's usually how I feel about my favourite shows. usually, a 5 year run is what I'd consider perfect, all things considered. shows that tend to run forever usually end on a whimper as creativity is long gone by then.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 04-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
same. that's usually how I feel about my favourite shows. usually, a 5 year run is what I'd consider perfect, all things considered. shows that tend to run forever usually end on a whimper as creativity is long gone by then.
Word. I cringed when I saw JF hemming and hawing about when the end of the series would be in some article last week. Like, no, dude. End it at Season 5. I'm almost positive BBCA will give them their fifth season, and I would tell them as soon as possibile, "You're renewed, but that's it. Go write your ending." Not only is it BBCA's prestige show, Netflix and Amazon pay more for completed sets because they get much better streaming numbers (nobody likes to binge an incomplete series).

So, I see the ratings plummet as a plus if it helps put this show to bed on time. To me, it also increases the chances of Evelyne Brochu appearing in Season 5 (though if Delphine is alive, there is probably already some sort of understanding in place for S5). It's easier to get someone to commit to the final season of something than it is to get them to appear in an unending wave of crappy seasons. Finish it. It's best for everyone.