Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

I've been afraid we'd see Paul again since I heard they were exploring Beth's backstory. It figures.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosimasWeed (View Post)
I've been afraid we'd see Paul again since I heard they were exploring Beth's backstory. It figures.
Think what anyone wants to about Dylan Bruce, but he clearly loves OB and he (the actual human being who played Paul) was clearly bereft when his character was killed off, given multiple interviews, so I'm not actually sorry to see him back.

Is it any wonder that creative people who loved him as an actor wanted to employ him (let alone for the fact that he's essential to Beth's backstory...).

He's kinda the only "character" who was "monitoring" Beth's downslide into walking in front of a train, so the idea that he's just a romantic figure kinda pales aside from his more sinister aspects and the reality of what he observed.....
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless romantic (View Post)
Think what anyone wants to about Dylan Bruce....
I will, thanks. Nothing can make me happy to see the show's worst actor re-employed.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Honestly Paul. PAUL.
I KNOW But, yeah, I knew we'd see him again ever since we found that season 4 was gonna have Beth in it. At least we have Beth
Old 04-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Master Fan

at this point, though, I'd probably rather see more paul than donnie.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Addicted Fan

"The men of or Orphan Black" are all hopelessly flawed, and that's okay.

As are all men -- at least in the OB universe.....

And isn't that one of the best points of the show -- the idea that male-driven plots should yield to those that are female-driven and that "love conquers all" is a much better plot driver than "all shall yield to fear"?

It's a subtle notion, and one that has yet to be confirmed by the 4th season, but I love the fact that, so far, the strongest people on OB have been not only women but also "clones" and therefore humans who didn't "deserve to exist."

Which feels a lot like being a person with two X chromosomes a lot of the time, and makes me say that it's good to be a human!!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Or any of the Castor clones

Like I said, I'll focus on the fact that we get to see Beth, I've always wanted to know more about her
Old 04-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by root (View Post)
At least they'll be no twerking that way. Donnie's best moment, for me anyway, was at the end of S1 when he was revealed to be Alison's monitor. That that schlub withstood all that torture and then climbed into the back of Leekie's car to report on his wife was chilling. He could have been creepy as hell, but they inexplicably decided to make him an idiot in S2. What a blown opportunity.

At least Paul has a limited shelf life, I guess. We're stuck with Donnie forever.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I had to laugh when Paul popped up. I didn't dislike him as much as most, but at least we know that his appearance only lasts as long as their flashbacks on Beth. I will happily endure his presence to see more of Beth.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Honestly Paul. PAUL.
The only actor they are able to keep

Quote:
We're stuck with Donnie forever.
The only person we shouldn't be worried about...

Quote:
At least we have Beth
I don't get what the big deal is about Beth. I doubt they are going to give "real answers" so early in the season. Plus, I thought that last year's "flashback" was horrible. We didn't learn anything new.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I don't get what the big deal is about Beth
same. I never got the hype. I imagine the she's the key to... something, otherwise you'd think they wouldn't waste any time in bringing that back, considering both beth and paul are already dead.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Addicted Fan

BBC America has released the twenty runner-up posters for our viewing pleasure.

Orphan Black Fan Art Poster Contest: Top 20 Finalists | BBC America

As always, I'm stunned by the artistry and amazing talent within the fandom. As much as anything, it's not only the technical brilliance of the posters but also the intriguing conceptual approaches the artists took that make them so satisfying to view, so I'm really glad they released so many!!!!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Loyal Fan

The vanity and the cutout are my favorites.

savannah · (c)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by root (View Post)
same. I never got the hype. I imagine the she's the key to... something, otherwise you'd think they wouldn't waste any time in bringing that back, considering both beth and paul are already dead.
same. i mean, i like beth, conceptually, but i feel like she's been way overblown into something she never was.

Quote:
He could have been creepy as hell, but they inexplicably decided to make him an idiot in S2. What a blown opportunity.
yeah, honestly, why the **** they decided to make him a bumbling imbecile from s2 on, i'll never understand. it makes zero sense and forever ruins what was a once really great moment.
S T A R D U S T
Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlanded (View Post)
The vanity and the cutout are my favorites.
All I really know is that I wouldn't have felt capable of being in the jury pool.

OB fan art is so amazing and so fascinating to me that I'm regularly awed by stuff people create, but this contest clearly brought out people with talents I completely lack, despite my aspirations.

The idea of being simultaneously skilled technically and imaginatively (and yeah, the vanity and the cutout images are just to on point and still so gorgeous, but so is the fingerprint with a sheep's head embedded -- despite the fact that the producers have acknowledged that "closely matching fingerprints" was a technological glitch) and so many other ways of envisioning the future focus of the show....

I have a bit of a thing for the word, gestalt, which the Online Oxford dictionary defines as:

Quote:
an organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts.
(I'm not fond of that definition because it seems to imply that multiple minds can't learn from/be excited by similar stimuli to form similar conclusions, but so be it). What really excites me is the idea that multiple people can get excited by the same thing and create new impressions/states of being as a result of similar stimuli.

The amazing art I see in this post (can you imagine any other show garnering more than a "top five" or "top ten?") makes me re-realize that creativity feeds itself, and that all forms of art are an attempt to communicate, to celebrate the unusual and exciting, and to embrace joy. The fact that the deadline for the contest happened before public details were available about the plot of the coming episodes/coming season makes me even more impressed by the thought artists put into their submissions.

Needless to say, I'm hoping for a lot of joy (as well as dreading quite a bit of dread) in season 4 of OB.