Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

So this is happening.

Quote:
Once Upon a Time bosses on new LGBT character

In case you missed the news at Comic-Con, the Once Upon a Time bosses revealed that the ABC fairy tale drama’s upcoming seventh season would feature a prominent LGBT character, but don’t expect a repeat of what happened in season 5.

As the series heads into somewhat of a creative reboot — six cast members have exited as the show pivots to feature an adult Henry Mills (Andrew J. West) alongside Regina (Lana Parrilla), Hook (Colin O’Donoghue), and Rumple (Robert Carlyle) — executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis are using the opportunity to introduce a gay character who will have a more substantial role. The news comes after a much-hyped LGBT coupling of Ruby (Meghan Ory) and Dorothy (Teri Reeves) ended up receiving a somewhat lukewarm reception since neither person in the pairing was a main character.

“One of the show’s franchises is love,” Kitsis tells EW. “This iteration is reflecting the world today. It will not be anything more than just one of other love stories that are happening. I don’t think it’s an arc, it’ll be a character who is gay and that’s who they are and they exist in the world. They don’t have a sign that says ‘special episode.'”

The OUAT bosses are staying mum on who the character will be, but the show has added a number of new additions going into season 7, including West, Alison Fernandez as Henry’s daughter Lucy, Dania Ramirez as Henry’s wife (and a new iteration of Cinderella), Gabrielle Anwar as Cinderella’s evil stepmother Lady Tremanie, Adelaide Kane as Cinderella’s stepsister Drizella, Mekia Cox as Tiana, and Rose Reynolds as a new iteration of Alice from Alice in Wonderland.

As previously announced, Jennifer Morrison is set to reprise her role as Emma Swan for one episode, while Jared Gilmore will return as a younger Henry in the premiere. EW broke exclusively this weekend that Emilie de Ravin also will be back as Belle for a Rumple-centric episode. (Stay tuned for more scoop on that soon!)

Once Upon a Time will return Friday, Oct. 6 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.
Once Upon a Time bosses on new LGBT character
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Master Fan

it's a no from me.

VISIT ORPHAN BLACK
manu [twitter]
Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Same here Hopefully it will please the fans who are sticking around, though
Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Nope, not me either. I'm SO glad to finally be free of watching OUAT and they are not sucking me back in this time.

Ruby/Dorothy would've been much more loved if they'd actually had them on the show more than once. Ruby was my fave and I 100% would watch the show again if she came back, but they're never going to do that. They also could've used Mulan more than they did. Mulan, Ruby and Merida could have easily been queer best buds, but nope, they kept sending the three of them off on journeys to find themselves.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

that's gonna be a no from me too.

Quote:
Ruby/Dorothy would've been much more loved if they'd actually had them on the show more than once. Ruby was my fave and I 100% would watch the show again if she came back, but they're never going to do that. They also could've used Mulan more than they did. Mulan, Ruby and Merida could have easily been queer best buds, but nope, they kept sending the three of them off on journeys to find themselves.
mulan is the one who deserved to have a happy ending with a nice girl (be it ruby, merida, ..... or aurora why was i denied this). it was so ****ing bull**** that the character who's been there since s2 that we've known is gay all along got ****ing NOTHING and they just pulled some random f/f pairing out of their ass at the last minute.
S T A R D U S T
Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
mulan is the one who deserved to have a happy ending with a nice girl (be it ruby, merida, ..... or aurora why was i denied this). it was so ****ing bull**** that the character who's been there since s2 that we've known is gay all along got ****ing NOTHING and they just pulled some random f/f pairing out of their ass at the last minute.
I don't know why they didn't just pair Mulan up with Ruby or Merida instead of bringing in Dorothy. I get that Mulan is paired up with a guy in the animation, but they already made her gay, there's no reason why she couldn't end up with a girl. I can't complain about Ruby ending up in the f/f cause I wanted bisexual Ruby from the beginning and I'm so happy to have gotten it.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Than Perfect (View Post)
I don't know why they didn't just pair Mulan up with Ruby or Merida instead of bringing in Dorothy. I get that Mulan is paired up with a guy in the animation, but they already made her gay, there's no reason why she couldn't end up with a girl. I can't complain about Ruby ending up in the f/f cause I wanted bisexual Ruby from the beginning and I'm so happy to have gotten it.
Strongly implying Mulan was gay is one thing. Actually having her get involved with a girl would've been too ~risky.

savannah · (c)
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlanded (View Post)
Strongly implying Mulan was gay is one thing. Actually having her get involved with a girl would've been too ~risky.
"gay, but not TOO gay."
S T A R D U S T
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

The bold type is a great guilty pleasure for me! And Adena is beautiful.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
And Adena is beautiful.
she really is
S T A R D U S T
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've seen such beautiful gifs of this show
Old 07-28-2017, 01:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataliza (View Post)
The bold type is a great guilty pleasure for me! And Adena is beautiful.
I am really enjoying that show and Kat/Adena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlanded (View Post)
So unfortunate for the rest of us.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm sorry to intrude.

I've made it clear in other threads that I'm straight (as in, extremely so), to the extent that casual friends I found out weren't kept quite shy of me, so my etiquette may not be what you expect, and I don't want to offend.

But I just gotta say that POTUS' tweet yesterday has been hanging in my gut, disturbing my digestion.

If Tony has ever felt real to me, it's now, when the ability to imagine him going for a buzz cut and joining the Marines (I've met Marines, but I've never knowingly met someone who was Trans) and voluntarily fighting in the Middle East for our country brings tears to my eyes.

We've got serious problems to face here in the U.S., but why/who you are/who you love (I always identified myself as being more than a bit masculine, given the extreme gender norms with which I was raised, but as I said, I've only ever felt lust for the opposite sex).

One of the things Orphan Black has helped me/forced me to see is that I got the "easy" way out, at least sexually, so that I can still yearn more for Allison's former craft room than any sexual act, which probably sounds really weird, but given that I sew, knit, embroider, and do needlepoint (not to mention a bit of goldwork, which involves using embroidery to incorporate actual gold strands) makes me a distinct minority that's probably quite a bit smaller now, worldwide, than the actual Trans population within the serving military.

So I just want to register my support and my knee-jerk opposition against anything that prevents volunteer members of the U.S. military from having to pass any sort of "purity test."

I've long known about how a wide variety of genetic "issues" can cause what are now mainly known to be problems with gender assignment (just to be diagnostically unpleasant) when XY/XXY chromosomes misfire, so that's most of my familiarity with any genetic basis for Transgenderism, but Tony managed to make me accept that some of it could be connected with my sense that I'm not even remotely "girly" despite being being so definitely hetero... probably means that I'm over-sharing, but also means that I'm trying to understand why someone (anyone) would want to undergo a surgery that deals with so many nerve endings... but I'm willing to be educated, if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who can teach me.

And, just to say so, I didn't think it was gross when Cossima and Delphine kissed, or caressed, which is (and this should probably bother you, so I acknowledge it in the hopes that you won't press the issue) the first time on any show I've watched.

Most shows that have involved same-sex love affairs have seemed to have a defiant note to the love scenes that's bothered me, because it made me feel like I didn't have the right to watch.

Orphan Black opened up the idea to me that I didn't have a right to judge any other human beings (clones and whatevers) unless their selfishness/cruelty made them feel like my former self was inhumane.

And Orphan Black definitely made me feel like my former self was inhumane.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:09 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I'm trying to understand why someone (anyone) would want to undergo a surgery that deals with so many nerve endings... but I'm willing to be educated, if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone who can teach me.
it's hard to educate someone on something like this. how can one explain the way they feel? i'm not trans, i'm a cis lesbian. i've just always known (even if it was before i "knew" consciously) that i liked women and not men. and that i was cis. likewise, trans people have always known they were trans. if you always knew you were born in the wrong body, if you felt uncomfortable with your body every single day of your life, wouldn't you want to change that? some people may choose not to undergo gender reassignment surgery (for whatever reasons) but that's why people do choose to transition 100%. i can't speak for trans people more than that. honestly, it's just one of those things where you have to accept that you will never "understand" in the sense of you can't relate, but that you can understand factually.

i would suggest googling for more info about trans issues/experiences. i'm sure people have written many articles/blogposts about it. just remember that there is no one singular trans experience, just as there is no one all-encompassing gay/lesbian/bi experience. we live in am extremely heteronormative/cis-normative society and that indirectly impacts everyone's own personal experience.

Quote:
so that I can still yearn more for Allison's former craft room than any sexual act, which probably sounds really weird,
not at all weird imho.

thanks for coming in here to talk about it though. working to unlearn phobic certain mindsets and wanting to educate yourself about lgbt issues (and not speaking over lgbt people's experiences) is what helps make people good allies.
S T A R D U S T
Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Thank you for your response.

I will definitely search for better answers than "it's all a genetic problem," since my own life doesn't include experiences of people who aren't straight (but not to any who were open about there being a possibility of "I was born in the wrong body" helping me with the sense that I still adore/want something as ordered as Alison's craft room).

And yes, please add me to the list of allies, thanks to the beauty of OB. It's been wonderful to come to grips with my own life problems by watching a "T.V. show" that unquestionably involves people who make me question my identity.

The mere notion that actively serving military might be withdrawn from their regions of command, so that the rest of our forces within that region might falter in the process probably needs to be recognized as a reason that I can't reconcile a world in which America's fighting people aren't protected against our President's daily rage tweets... just makes me shiver.

Last edited by hopeless romantic; 07-28-2017 at 11:55 AM