Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I expected the last season to be about them all fighting together, but instead it's like most things this season are being discussed and decided by everyone else And I expected so many scenes of the clones interacting in the same place, that was always one of the coolest things about the show, but it seems like they thought that was going to be too much trouble to shoot and didn't even bother. That was what the art opening looked like, to me
Old 07-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Cormier (View Post)
I expected the last season to be about them all fighting together, but instead it's like most things this season are being discussed and decided by everyone else And I expected so many scenes of the clones interacting in the same place, that was always one of the coolest things about the show, but it seems like they thought that was going to be too much trouble to shoot and didn't even bother. That was what the art opening looked like, to me
Yeah clone on clone interaction has been surprisingly sparse, but I think that's mostly because Sarah has been so passive. Usually as the lead she's the one clone linking up with the others but she has been stuck in Mrs S's kitchen all season with no opportunity to do anything. It has been weird and not what I expected from a final season. But I have liked Cosima stepping up and doing much more of the leg work because of it, and Rachel has been more pivotal and interesting too.

Quote:
I guess what I've been most disappointed with this season is this feeling that we barely see the clones anymore.
I wouldn't say I've felt like this all season but 5x06 in particular was odd to me. It was the first episode of OB ever where I felt like the clones didn't matter. You could take them ALL out of the episode and the outcome with Revival would have been exactly the same. I can't say I cared for it.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah clone on clone interaction has been surprisingly sparse, but I think that's mostly because Sarah has been so passive. Usually as the lead she's the one clone linking up with the others but she has been stuck in Mrs S's kitchen all season with no opportunity to do anything. It has been weird and not what I expected from a final season. But I have liked Cosima stepping up and doing much more of the leg work because of it, and Rachel has been more pivotal and interesting too.
Yeah, I've loved Cosima and Rachel this season, but they've been the only really interesting ones for me, and that sucks considering how many clones there are
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

doesn't it feel like this season shouldn't be the last? i mean pacing-wise, it feels like it should be the penultimate season setting everything up for a break-neck finish.
S T A R D U S T
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesdane (View Post)
doesn't it feel like this season shouldn't be the last? i mean pacing-wise, it feels like it should be the penultimate season setting everything up for a break-neck finish.
I think that's going to be the last two episodes. Clones (especially Sarah) have to get back into the thick of the action, after taking a back seat while S and Delphine did all the heavy lifting lately.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 AM
Addicted Fan

Has anyone here been looking at the actors' twitter feeds about this episode?

Amazing inside stuff that really stretched my imagination, especially on Jordan's.

I already knew that this was going to be one of my favorite episodes of the series so far, and I already knew that I loved every single one of the paintings at his exhibition.

Just look at the detail from the photos/screen grabs Jordan used to tweet about the episode and tell me that the actual artist didn't capture the very essences of each and every clone, up to and including the wonder of getting to see Cosima stomp on Rachel -- just as Ferdinand stomped on MK, but without it being deadly since it turned into a beautifully free dance kinda... floors me (pun intended), but his other comments....

Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 AM
Addicted Fan

BrooklynFan,

I would answer that Siobhan went to her death specifically because she knew that going with someone else would have just put that other person at a risk that would actually play on Ferdinand's strengths as someone who was skilled at using one person against another as a way to kill both.

She knew full well what she was getting into when she "went into business with Ferdinand." It's hardly as though she didn't know that he was an assassin. We've had ample scenes of his ability to kill any and all he wanted to, as though his attempt to kill Rachel earlier in the episode wasn't enough.

But I think, if you do a re-watch of the epi, she had already planned for a final show-down, and you can see her evidence of her preparations throughout (including her "hiding" the smallest caliber of guns, a "22," on a shelf where he was certain to find it if she was successful in talking Rachel into trusting her to take the data, but also hiding a larger caliber gun in the chair, where her careful choreography of the likeliest path between the front and back doors also led her to standing in front of that chair -- and who knows how many other guns she had stashed around various rooms in places he probably wouldn't look to find Rachel's data chip?!?) you can imagine that she planned, if necessary, to die for the right to kill him herself so that he would cease to be a danger to her chickens or anyone else.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless romantic (View Post)
BrooklynFan,

I would answer that Siobhan went to her death specifically because she knew that going with someone else would have just put that other person at a risk that would actually play on Ferdinand's strengths as someone who was skilled at using one person against another as a way to kill both.
Hi there, no need for a rewatch--it was very clear that Siobhan was preparing for a deadly showdown in that gorgeously ominous montage of red roses and gun loading. And I agree that S chose to face Ferdinand alone because she didn't want to put anyone else at risk, and probably too because she didn't trust anyone else as much as herself in that situation. I believe that S tends to be too secretive, too slow to take others into her confidence, but it was very much in character for her to take the risk alone. I do think that she hoped she would survive--she didn't see it as a certain suicide mission--but she knew there was a good chance she wouldn't. I'm glad she was able to kill him first and have a moment alone to say goodbye to her "chickens."
Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 AM
New Fan

It broke my heart when Siobhan died.

Cophine scenes were so good.

There's only 2 episodes left. I can't believe how fast the time flies.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know I mean, I haven't been happy at all with this season, so I want it to be over, but when I think of saying goodbye to the SHOW for good, it hurts
Old 08-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
I believe that S tends to be too secretive, too slow to take others into her confidence, but it was very much in character for her to take the risk alone.
Totally in agreement here.

I think it would have been better for Siobhan if she had been more forthcoming all of her life.

But the fact that I can describe Mrs. S as having lived an entire life of keeping secrets from her own mother (who hated her husband enough to kill him while he was in a drunken rage), then from her extremist friends in the UK -- enough that she could secretly hide Sarah in Canada -- means to me that she didn't take the easy path often, and that she kept ties with people who were as paranoid as she was as a way of staying alive.

I can't help but admire characters who are wearing tin-foil hats for a good reason, but are still able to present an image of normalcy/"would you like a cup of tea?" levels of toughness.

Eventually (come-on, we've only got two episodes left, so the entire work of Clone Club over five series remains up for grabs, and it's probably not going to be pretty and we've all gotta pray that we'll get an equivalent of the third season's "last supper" cohesion (let alone attendance, since we're now missing at least one vital attendee) we'll find out who comes out alive and who dies, but I definitely don't think it's too soon to admire the people who've bitten the bullet and still managed to chew.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Cormier (View Post)
I know I mean, I haven't been happy at all with this season, so I want it to be over, but when I think of saying goodbye to the SHOW for good, it hurts
I've mostly liked S5. The specific isolated clone centric episodes have been the stand out ones oddly enough since I thought I'd hate that focus. But I feel like they've wrapped up key points for Alison, Cosima and Rachel in a well thought out and touching fashion.

For me while it hasn't been anywhere near as good as S1 or S4 this season is still better than S2..... which I just....... really dislike.

And yeah I'm not sure about the final episode. I'm not ready. So much so that I might not actually watch 5x10 ever then I don't have to say goodbye. #saddo
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
I've mostly liked S5. The specific isolated clone centric episodes have been the stand out ones oddly enough since I thought I'd hate that focus. But I feel like they've wrapped up key points for Alison, Cosima and Rachel in a well thought out and touching fashion.

For me while it hasn't been anywhere near as good as S1 or S4 this season is still better than S2..... which I just....... really dislike.
Agreed. They've managed to do the clone focused episodes quite well given that the ones they've done in the past haven't always hit all the marks. For me S1 will always be the standout. I like S4 a little better than S5 so far but both were great. S2 is my least favourite of all the seasons.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Addicted Fan

I'd like to point everyone to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXUBpWutx7o

at about the 12 minute mark, for about ten minutes.

The truth is that Americans (aka U.S.ians) are currently experimenting with germ-cell editing, which is kinda shocking, given that such experiments were banned under the G.W. Bush administration.

Which is precisely the sort of laws that OB warns against, and former law made illegal to the utmost degree.

I just want to make it clear what the difference is between "generic" "stem-cell editing" and "germ-cell editing," which is to say that Cosima's cure involved germ cells (aka, a human egg and a human sperm meeting, even if only in a petri disk, whereas "stem cell editing" involves the hope of turning "magical" cells back to being "more magical/having no genetic limits in what they can become" which has, in experimental/horrific practice, involved collagen injections around the eyes growing cells that... actually grew teeth instead of eyelashes).

So, for now,"generic" stem cell editing remains largely hypothetical because it is so problematic, but is dangerous whenever it's been invoked, (aka, something that only happens in petri disks but occasionally makes Krystal sound logical is part of the most "reasonable" sort of genetic DNA editing, and even that seems unethical) to my knowledge because its uses aren't limited enough since it "only" involves cells that are called "pluripotent" -- which is to say that they're cells that have decided/been programmed to "become" skin cells or bone marrow cells or kidney or liver cells... -- which is to say that they've differentiated to the degree that they only want to become what they've been "programmed" by the normal differentiation of human embryos to make more skin cells, or more bone marrow or more cells in the kidneys or the liver (aka, cancer, as 5x05 proved with Yannis).

I realize that this is highly technical, and only claim to understand a bit of it myself, but I'm very clear that the real Cosima understands it better and that scientists worldwide side with her against the cray-cray people who are attempting to do blank that Cosima called blank on Susan when they first met.

Germ cell editing, as discussed in the report, is the stuff of nightmares, in that it can/would naturally be transferred from one generation to the next, with all of the problems that Cosima registered in season 4.

I encourage all of Clone Club to say that experimentation on people who might become "Kira's sestras" is experimentation that should remain illegal.

Any experiments upon our yet-to-be-born children should always be illegal, just as we should own our own DNA (which is a different issue but is just as scary).

Last edited by hopeless romantic; 08-03-2017 at 06:55 AM
Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
For me S1 will always be the standout.
same.

s2 is actually my second favorite, but tbf i've literally never re-watched it (or any season other than s1, for that matter). s3 to me was the absolute worst.
S T A R D U S T