Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2017, 06:12 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
That makes more sense than anything else I've heard, but it would be nice if they could at least tell us the bold instead of leaving us all guessing.
TBH, I think it's a bit like the problem of a T.V. show being explicit about how to create a nuclear bomb (which isn't, as far as I can tell, even remotely as difficult as splitting a fertilized ovum) or providing the actual chemical transforms to create methamphetamines, which is my way of saying that promoting noobs/completely unethical scientists to conduct their own experiments is a really bad idea and that I want professorial and peer review to prevent people from experimenting in private rather than a drama providing the recipe instructions.

So I'm convinced that I know quite a few details that we'll never see talked about on the show (such as that I'm very comfortable being left in the dark about whether or not Kendall had both functional testes and functional ovaries so that she was able to have her own cells inseminate her own eggs). Given that said dialog would require anatomical details that contain stuff that most people consider to be incredibly private, I don't need explicit descriptions, especially now that Kendall has been horrifically murdered.

In my (admittedly incomplete) grasp of what it would take to clone a human being, I tend to see the insertion of the synthetic sequences as more complicated than the relatively well-understood process of procuring a viable egg and creating a divisible cell line by creating a break for the relatively tiny sperm cell to fuse with it, which is what happened for the very first time when Louise Brown was born in 1978.

The reason I find such an idea to be very much "science fiction" so far is that there are a lot of issues, among which include "okay, which chromosome do we want to carry the synthetic sequences?" but I admit that I'm perfectly happy to have my questions remain unanswered just to make my complete and utter disapproval of anyone doing such tinkering doesn't result in the molecular biologists attempting to create "Castors" or "Ledas," since I'm very clear that there's a huge amount of psychic pain that comes from the mere notion that your life is an experiment has been well covered as being a miserable way to live one's life.

But there are clearly noobs and unethical scientists who are knocking on the door of cloning, which is what makes OB so topical.

IOW, when I was theorizing that P.T. could be the contributor of male DNA, I wasn't actually hoping that we'll get an answer to that question so much as I was thinking that it's completely in line with what we know about P.T. and about Susan and Virginia, which is that I can't see a single iota of ethical responsibility among them, just as there was clearly no ethical restraint on the doctor who reportedly used his own sperm to fertilize Octomom's eight kids.