Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana1 (View Post)
That Tweet indicates to me that Nicole is happy with where Abbie is at the end of the season. That gives me hope.
I have so many high hopes for Abbie next season and I really hope some of them come to fruition. I think we did a good job voicing our displeasure with the sidelining of the character and hopefully when the show returns in September, Abbie is a more fleshed out character who has a life that doesn’t revolve around her partner and his familial pains.

Abbie is lucky to have a fanbase smart enough to look past those superficial shipper moments the writers gave us and recognize she was simply being used to prop up other character’s storylines. Had we just wanted Abbie to be by Crane’s side and “win” him, who knows how much worse this season would have gotten.

I think that’s where Katrina fans failed their female heroine. All they wanted was for Katrina to get her shipper moments with Crane. So the writers gave them hugs, kisses and words of endearment, which they happily lapped it up, not caring that the character was also being written extremely poorly. From teasing her as a possible villain (Weeping Lady) to just being completely incompetent (Every other episode), Katrina fans let all that fly because they were satisfied to just have scenes of her being romantic with Crane. After Deliverance, they never demanded anything else, not even that her magic work.

Now that ratings are in the toilet and everyone is scared of the show being canceled, many are realizing that putting shipper preferences over plot and character development is not such a good idea. I think Abbie fans knew this, which is why they didn’t just demand better for Abbie, but for Jenny and Irving and even Reyes. We never demanded Abbie “have” Crane. We demanded Abbie have a life as Crane has a life. We demanded Abbie have love, as Crane has love. We demanded EQUALITY and demanded it for all of the show’s characters.

God, I am so proud of us

(It's raining outside, I'm feeling emotional )
Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Nothing about S2 was a good idea....
Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhoney (View Post)
I have so many high hopes for Abbie next season and I really hope some of them come to fruition. I think we did a good job voicing our displeasure with the sidelining of the character and hopefully when the show returns in September, Abbie is a more fleshed out character who has a life that doesn’t revolve around her partner and his familial pains.

Abbie is lucky to have a fanbase smart enough to look past those superficial shipper moments the writers gave us and recognize she was simply being used to prop up other character’s storylines. Had we just wanted Abbie to be by Crane’s side and “win” him, who knows how much worse this season would have gotten.

We are a great fanbase. Week after week, hit after hit, we kicked ass and took names. If Season Three doesn't happen I'm going to be crushed, I am. But it won't be anywhere near as bad as it would without this phenomenal group of fans that fought the good fight.

Quote:
I think that’s where Katrina fans failed their female heroine. All they wanted was for Katrina to get her shipper moments with Crane. So the writers gave them hugs, kisses and words of endearment, which they happily lapped it up, not caring that the character was also being written extremely poorly. From teasing her as a possible villain (Weeping Lady) to just being completely incompetent (Every other episode), Katrina fans let all that fly because they were satisfied to just have scenes of her being romantic with Crane. After Deliverance, they never demanded anything else, not even that her magic work.
Even Abbie fans fought for Katrina. First for her to be written better and then out of disgust at the sexist tropes they gave to her. That's why there was also a #KatrinaCraneDeservesBetter tag. One fan had an exchange on Twitter with M. Raven Metzner about the Mystical Pregnancy Trope. This has continued as now they have Katrina feeling guilty over Abraham's choices because she left him for Ichabod.

Quote:
Now that ratings are in the toilet and everyone is scared of the show being canceled, many are realizing that putting shipper preferences over plot and character development is not such a good idea. I think Abbie fans knew this, which is why they didn’t just demand better for Abbie, but for Jenny and Irving and even Reyes. We never demanded Abbie “have” Crane. We demanded Abbie have a life as Crane has a life. We demanded Abbie have love, as Crane has love. We demanded EQUALITY and demanded it for all of the show’s characters.

For Abbie fans it isn't about shipping. We want the enlightened, socially aware, fun and intelligent show introduced in Season One.

Quote:
God, I am so proud of us

(It's raining outside, I'm feeling emotional )
D'awwww.

We are awesome, though. I'm proud of us too.

(And it's raining where you are? Here in the Detroit area the air hurts our face!)
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChakotaysLover (View Post)
Or having to go through the chemical straighteners too! My bestie hates using that stuff and it never lasts! lol!
And worst of all, they burn!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebug1 (View Post)
And worst of all, they burn!
And the moment it rains.... bring on the friz! LOL!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

“…The success of Empire, in particular, has caused such a stir among the broadcast networks that NBC actually asked the writer of one of its pilots to change the ethnicity of her lead characters from white to black before handing down a production commitment.”

Saw this posted on tumblr. This could bode well for Nicole and Abbie. And SH.

'Empire' and 'How to Get Away with Murder' May Have Saved 2015's Pilot Season - Forbes

ETA: Great post Blackhoney. Glad I went back to read through the thread, or I'd have missed that excellent thought piece.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
For Abbie fans it isn't about shipping. We want the enlightened, socially aware, fun and intelligent show introduced in Season One.
I like seeing Abbie and Crane tackling a problem head on, figuring things out together in the way that worked for them so well, using Ichabod's idetic memory and his knack for hitting the books.

S2 tried to make Katrina out to be the Magical Mystical Know All while portraying Crane to be an idiot without a independant thought in his head. Abbie had barely to little say at all.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

[QUOTE=ChakotaysLover;79888751]I like seeing Abbie and Crane tackling a problem head on, figuring things out together in the way that worked for them so well, using Ichabod's idetic memory and his knack for hitting the books.

Me too. Have you seen Nicole's Twitter page? she is singing Acapella, a song entitled "Missing Val". Boy, can she SING. I just love Nicole, she is soooooooooooooo natural and real. She's amazing. I also heard she dances. She is a triple threat, a very talented young woman and beautiful inside and out.

Last edited by msgeemd; 01-25-2015 at 01:33 PM
Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Even Abbie fans fought for Katrina. First for her to be written better and then out of disgust at the sexist tropes they gave to her. That's why there was also a #KatrinaCraneDeservesBetter tag. One fan had an exchange on Twitter with M. Raven Metzner about the Mystical Pregnancy Trope. This has continued as now they have Katrina feeling guilty over Abraham's choices because she left him for Ichabod.
Exactly. That is what really boggles my mind. I may not like the character of Katrina now, but she was/is ill-served and actually disrespected because of the sexist female tropes they threw at her. I wanted her to be a powerful witch, someone who you'd maybe even be frightened of, or at least a formidable presence. The Abbie fans understood that Katrina was being written poorly because we see the overall picture and how it is problematic. But the Katrina fans dismiss us as merely shipping.

I just don't get it, like I don't get that they think she's being written well or hasn't been abused as a female. The most logical is the idea that Katrina fans don't care about her, it's more that she is a placeholder for themselves, and they see themselves in her place, being romantic with Ichabod. Other than that, no reason.

I wonder what song Abbie is going to sing. I still think it's going to be that Billie Holliday song they mentioned was a cut scene in the pilot or second episode. And what are they going to duet on? Hmm...

Abaiers has been tweeting like crazy positive things about the show, respecting the fans. This one really interested me...along with lots of pro Abbie stuff.

Quote:

Darla B ‏@OriginalDBubble 3h3 hours ago

@robs_berry it is what it is. only thing they can do at this point is push forward. & that new guy could be someone abbie can lean on. maybe

@OriginalDBubble @robs_berry think Abbie should hve a really strong character story first, not just focused on another man, outside of crane
@OriginalDBubble @robs_berry and if you guys don't think we think Abbie is mind blowing gorgeous then I just don't know what to say!

abaiers @abaiers · 13h 13 hours ago

@dotty_hollow was really busy working ON the show to actually fix the problems so what you see next will actually make you happy.

~ I like my Schadenfreude with a dash of smug and a side of snark ~
Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgeemd (View Post)

Me too. Have you seen Nicole's Twitter page? she is singing Acapella, a song entitled "Missing Val". Boy, can she SING. I just love Nicole, she is soooooooooooooo natural and real. She's amazing. I also heard she dances. She is a triple threat, a very talented young woman and beautiful inside and out.
Oh yes!! I did see it! Her singing makes me happy !LOL!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Dedicated Fan

Just further proof that Abbie really is the sun.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Elite Fan

YES!!!! She lights the dark without trying to!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Lovely gifset!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Elite Fan

She does smile the brightest for Ichabod!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Anyone else notice her earrings too?