Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

Episode Discussion 3.04 | The Sisters Mills { Airs October 22th }

More powerful than ever, Pandora unleashes her most evil force yet. Meanwhile, Abbie and Jenny work together when the latest monster targets the children of Sleepy Hollow.
(FOX)

BRICS
Prayers for 🇷🇺 🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

I actually enjoyed the majority of this episode, and think it's the best they've had this season. I would rewatch most of it, which is more than can be said for the previous episodes for me.

-I liked the monster of the week - the effects and the "tooth fairy" itself were very creepy, and the atmosphere was more fitting - a bit more like old school Sleepy. It felt more energetic and faster paced, while keeping good character moments.

-I liked how the personal thread of Abbie and Jenny and their father was woven into it.

-Little moments, like Joe/Ichabod on a stake out vs. Abbie/Jenny. And Jenny already tracking down their father and not telling Abbie - . I loved that they added that. It was fitting for the character to a tee.

-The continued use of Jenny - in a SH without Headless, Jenny is pretty much everything.

-Liked that there was very little Daniel/FBI stuff. Made the episode feel less procedural. I like the actor a lot, but have no interest in the character as he is because he and Abbie are clearly going no where since they made him her ex and her boss, and the FBI doesn't work in this show to me at all. I hope there's some twist to him because he's got charisma.

Things I didn't like:

-They're making Ichabod a bit too over the top and cartoonish to me in some moments. They need to dial it down a bit, IMO.

-The over focus on Zoe texting Crane, they're laying it on way too thick, which leads me to:

-The last flashback of Betsy and Ichabod - UGH. What a terrible way to end a solid episode. Ichabod fantasizing about Betsy and then waking up to Zoe's texts to him made me feel like puking - they need to STOP with the women throwing themselves at this character. It's just gross and unnecessary and it adds nothing to Crane, nor to the show itself.

And I get that they want to move on from Katrina, but they need to stop running over their continuity with this crap with Betsy and Ichabod - it's, yet again, completely unnecessary to the show and does nothing for Crane. We know he loved Katrina. We all freakin' saw it. Why go back and flush all of your continuity down the toilet instead of moving forward in the present time?

Because he's just that much of a ladies man?

-Pandora is still doing nothing for me. I enjoyed the monster, but I'm tired of her being a prettier Henry and just spitting random monsters out at the Witnesses.

~Kat
Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 PM
New Fan

I liked the episode, but one of the things that happened in one of the later scenes took me out of it somewhat.

I agree TheCheshireKitten the tooth fairy was really creepy, and I enjoyed it a lot. The scene of the little boy heading to and checking inside of the closet for the monster was something that would have made me stop and watch if I were flicking through channels. I also like the element of the monster being invisible.

I also agree that they need to take care not to take Crane too far, I felt he was over the top in some moments as well. I recall last week when he made his declaration about becoming an American I felt it was teetering right on the line of being too much, but I thought at the time it had more to do with the background music they were playing.

I'm still liking to hate Pandora, she stay talking ish. She's really working on Abbie, I hope Abbie isn't listening to her.

The one thing I absolutely hated, and hopefully I'm interpreting it wrong, was the implication that Abbie's father is somehow more important to her than Jenny. Granted Abbie was six when he left so she remembers him, but he left, and at this point she doesn't know why. I can buy that she's not attached to life above fighting this war, and perhaps even not salvaging the lives of her counterparts if it is at the expense of winning the war, but the idea that someone matters to her more than Jenny is ridiculous and I do not believe it. Meanwhile Jenny's freaking waving pompoms and wearing a "go Abbie, that's my big sis, that's my big sis" T-shirt. Plus all this talk about how they'll never be beefed out again just let's us know that they're about to fall out.

On a side note, I was cracking up at how Abbie just checks in Ichabod's phone. Lol
Old 10-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Obsessed Fan

^Glad I wasn't the only one that thought Ichabod was OTT. It bordered on parody in moments for me.

I didn't get that impression with Abbie in regard to Jenny - I didn't feel like they were trying to make it seem like their father was more important to Abbie. I think Abbie was just trying to get a handle on Jenny's feelings towards him, since as far as knew she was going to surprise Jenny by revealing that she'd tracked him down.

I did wonder if that line was foreshadowing. On other shows of this nature I would be on the lookout for a falling out or some kind of conflict/confrontation in the future without hesitation, but with this show, I don't really know. I'm not against well written conflict, but it needs to not be repetitive and set them back to where they were at the start of the show.

~Kat
Old 10-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Passionate Fan

I am thoroughly enjoying this incarnation of SH and the monster of the week. They still throw in historical and trivia facts which I love. The monster this week was super creepy. American Horror Story seems to influence this epi with the movements and placement on the ceiling. So scarey imo.
I had to keep telling myself that the monster was just doing yoga so I wouldn't be to scare. Yeah I am wimp.

I feel that the silliness between Ichabod and Abby was just to offset the creepiness of the episode.

What did Pandora say to Abby? I could not hear it.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 PM
New Fan

I liked this episode. I loved the banter in the opening scene. Abbie was hilarious. I am glad they are giving her some fun lines. Like last week, when that guy fell out of the window and didn't die. That had me rolling.

The last scene with Besty Ross seemed oddly placed. I have a feeling they were foreshadowing Ichabod's feelings for Abbie and his forcing himself not to develop romantic feelings for his partner. However, I think they kept the running joke about the texting girl so that the Katrina shippers and the anti-Ichabbies wouldn't throw a fit to high heaven.

The "tooth fairy" was actually scary and the pace of this epi didn't drag so it was fun to watch.

I noticed that Ichabod was literally shaking as he watched Abbie in the hospital bed. I wonder what he would have done if Jenny wasn't there. Cried probably.

I liked Jenny in this episode as the loving little sister. I also liked that Abbie was quick to fight that monster hand to hand after it kicked Jenny. Nobody messes with her little sister.

As for Pandora, she has daddy issues. Seriously. I won't lie, I could barely hear her story because of the way they filmed it and faded the words in and out. I am not sure if it was her power doing it or Abbie fighting to stay awake.

Still, when Pandora was trying to find out who was important to Abbie, I think she was just going down the line of family. Her mom is dead, her dad is alive. I think that worried Abbie but I think what was probably worrying Abbie more was the fear that she would continue to seek possibilities. I mean after her father would come Jenny and what's the use of a poker face if something is monitoring your heart beat.

I was worried that she might name Jenny, so I was glad when she stopped with dear old dad.

I think if she would have named Jenny, Abbie would have pulled out her IV and tried to stab Pandora with it. Then Pandora would have disappeared with magic and Jenny would have been in danger.

I also think that they are trying to create an arc with her father in it. He's probably tied to Corbin in some way. I bet his days are numbered.

Again, I liked this episode

But I have a question

Is Abbie still paying for all his stuff? You know, going to the dentist isn't cheap. Is he on her insurance? As what...a domestic partner? They are going to find themselves lawfully married without meaning to be. That's probably how he's going to get a green card, because he is going to fail his test.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

About the Betsy Ross fencing scene, when Crane's at the Dentist.

/start ship

I had to review it and analyze it, but there is a total purpose to this scene. It is a means to an end, and Ichabbie shippers will love it. What did BR say? Paraphrased - because I cannot remember the exact sentence - but basically Crane apologized to her for getting feelings for BR, because of the work they were doing. He developed 'feelings' - however deep or superficial - to her. Now, let's go back in time to Season 1 - specifically Necromancer, I believe. Crane and Abbie are in the Archives waiting and have a little conversation. Basically, Crane tells Abbie about how Katrina thought too that by mixing "business with pleasure" (I'm paraphrasing), that she was too "worried how their dalliance would affect their work for the cause (Washington/Rev War.)". Also notice who is the instigator in these cases (the woman).

Hmm...So here we have Crane working with BR, thinks he needs to maintain work/personal separation, gets emotions for her anyway (maybe even a 'dalliance'). He basically tries to maintain business only, but caves. Same applies to Katrina. Work first, wife/lover later, but weak-willed man. Now I am sure people will apply this to Miss Corinth, and I am sure the show will try to point directly to her. But who is the OTHER character who Crane works with so well?? (well, Miss Jenny too, but the character who he REALLY is amazing with??)

Miss Grace Abigail Mills.

Now ask yourself, what was Crane's reaction when he thought Paul Revere had a thing to BR? Now contrast/compare Crane's reaction to these individuals interacting with Abbie: a) Luke in season one, b) Hawley in season 2 and c) Daniel in season three?

Makes you think....

Now add the previously BR comment - that "one day, a woman would make him lose his stiff propriety..." A woman who he works with, in spy-ish adventures, and secret ambushes and basically saving the world. A woman who he can be himself with, goofy as ****, propping his legs up on a couch, being all relaxed, playful and just himself. I believe that woman's name would be Grace Abbie Mills.

(don't mistake the video game playing for laziness (no way) and whatever. He was relaxed there - not focused on propriety, stiff-upper-lipness, and being all appropriate behaved. Dude is relaxed and comfortable with Abbie. Big big thing. The comfort level between these two this season is amazing).

Just saying. Then reading the next Bones/X-Crossover episode...yeah, it's gonna happen. I'm actually truly shocked to be thinking this. This will be the last season for the show and I didn't think they would go there, TBH. But yeah. BR has one purpose - to plant the seeds of Ichabbie into Crane's brain.

/end ship

Okay, overall, have to say that I loved this episode. Really well done. First and foremost - is Shannon Sossaman not killing it - no, destroying it - as Pandora? She really is. Excellent casting. And remember, most of her scenes are her alone, acting against nothing, or just a subtle intro/exit to cause panic. Love it to death. Just her, as nurse, walking confidently down the hallways, you KNOW she's gonna cause problems.

I will say - that Moloch was yes evil, but no where near as calculating, devious and just plain enjoyable as Pandora. Henry isn't even on the list for me, at this point. Well done, SS, and show. She deserves so much kudos. This is yet another example of great casting (IMO) and Shannon is doing a fantastic job. I'm very much looking forward to her interaction with Crane, but dammit, she has Abbie in her sights. She see Abbie in herself, I think, and relates, in a weird twisted way. Her telling Abbie snippets about her previous life/existance was heart-breaking. Is it wrong that I side with her?

Now, Tooth Fairy. Okay, when I first read it as the villian a few weeks ago, I kinda cringed. Really, the Tooth Fairy? But this fairy tale/monster narrative was amazingly done. A monster that adults cannot see, but kids can? So totally explaining kids claiming a monster under the bed/in closet,yet the parents just "tut, tut" them. Perfect and creepy. And okay, that monster was creepy as hell and kinda - I don't know. Proboscis probing and straddling a kid - I don't know man, but that truly creeped me out. Like, this is allowed on TV type of shock, but yeah, well done show, because completely creepy. Just purely messed up. That was something I'd never thought I'd see on such a PG-determined show.

But I love the transition from the way to eliminate the creature (silver coin/silver weapon/silver in general) to the current tradition of giving a kid money for losing a tooth. It is a seemless transition that does the SH twistory well. Loved it.

Now - Jenny and Abbie. Personally, I simply LOVED Jenny admitting to Abbie, "Yeah, I found Dad 5 years ago." Shrug. LOVE THAT. Jenny is practical also, and I totally understand her POV. She didn't know her Dad, she had no relationship - so why the drama? This speaks personally to me, but what a contrast to last season - i.e. Crane doesn't know son, still angst's over him. Seriously, Jenny, you are the best!! It honestly is one of the most refreshing scenes I've seen on TV. To have a character not become a emotional mess or emotionally lost over simple logic. I didn't know him, the guy wasn't there. Simple. THIS is what bothered me about season 2, and the whole Crane, "my son, my son, BS." Jenny spoke what I believe and have always believed. I love you, Jennifer!

And this episode had the much wanted (for me), Jenny/Crane scenes. Love those two together. Please give me some more!

The goofy Crane scenes. I'm a little bit torn. I think Tom Mison is bloody gifted in general. This episode (and previous) he has showed us that he is awesome at comedy like this. I mean, we had the pratfalls, the goofy attempts at him being well, goofy, the drugged-up Crane, and he is bloody brilliant at it. Truly. Think about the contrast. Crusty, stiff-upper-lip, reserved Crane, Crane ranting about something, then you get loving vow-spouting Crane, then you get the goofball to the extreme, all in the same episode. It's (one of the reasons) why I admire Mison (besides his brains and snark). He can change into so many personas that it's ridiculous. Fantastic actor.

But I hope they don't reduce Crane into a joke for this season. He's much more complex than this. A goofball yes in certain times, but he needs that complexity too (and no, season 2 did not provide that complexity).

And I want someone to transcribe EXACTLY what Pandora told Abbie. Abbie in a hospital! My baby! But Pandora visiting her, and basically stating how different she is, from the others, and how her father is messing with her. I need a transcript because there was so much information in there, but the weird/yet effective editing kind of distorted.

This was a good episode. Really good. Truly good. I quite enjoyed it.

Oh, and you writers having Pandora call Abbie a "Sleepyhead...? Yeah, screw off writers!!....But you know what (honestly)...I smiled at that. I really did. Yeah, I loved that to death. Seriously. Thank you. Nice touch, writers.

~ I like my Schadenfreude with a dash of smug and a side of snark ~
Old 10-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

About the Betsy Ross fencing scene, when Crane's at the Dentist.

/start ship

I had to review it and analyze it, but there is a total purpose to this scene. It is a means to an end, and Ichabbie shippers will love it. What did BR say? Paraphrased - because I cannot remember the exact sentence - but basically Crane apologized to her for getting feelings for BR, because of the work they were doing. He developed 'feelings' - however deep or superficial - to her. Now, let's go back in time to Season 1 - specifically Necromancer, I believe. Crane and Abbie are in the Archives waiting and have a little conversation. Basically, Crane tells Abbie about how Katrina thought too that by mixing "business with pleasure" (I'm paraphrasing), that she was too "worried how their dalliance would affect their work for the cause (Washington/Rev War.)". Also notice who is the instigator in these cases (the woman).

Hmm...So here we have Crane working with BR, thinks he needs to maintain work/personal separation, gets emotions for her anyway (maybe even a 'dalliance'). He basically tries to maintain business only, but caves. Same applies to Katrina. Work first, wife/lover later, but weak-willed man. Now I am sure people will apply this to Miss Corinth, and I am sure the show will try to point directly to her. But who is the OTHER character who Crane works with so well?? (well, Miss Jenny too, but the character who he REALLY is amazing with??)

Miss Grace Abigail Mills.

Now ask yourself, what was Crane's reaction when he thought Paul Revere had a thing to BR? Now contrast/compare Crane's reaction to these individuals interacting with Abbie: a) Luke in season one, b) Hawley in season 2 and c) Daniel in season three?

Makes you think....

Now add the previously BR comment - that "one day, a woman would make him lose his stiff propriety..." A woman who he works with, in spy-ish adventures, and secret ambushes and basically saving the world. A woman who he can be himself with, goofy as hell, propping his legs up on a couch, being all relaxed, playful and just himself. I believe that woman's name would be Grace Abbie Mills.

(don't mistake the video game playing for laziness (no way) and whatever. He was relaxed there - not focused on propriety, stiff-upper-lipness, and being all appropriate behaved. Dude is relaxed and comfortable with Abbie. Big big thing. The comfort level between these two this season is amazing).

Just saying. Then reading the next Bones/X-Crossover episode...yeah, it's gonna happen. I'm actually truly shocked to be thinking this. This will be the last season for the show and I didn't think they would go there, TBH. But yeah. BR has one purpose - to plant the seeds of Ichabbie into Crane's brain.

/end ship

Okay, overall, have to say that I loved this episode. Really well done. First and foremost - is Shannon Sossaman not killing it - no, destroying it - as Pandora? She really is. Excellent casting. And remember, most of her scenes are her alone, acting against nothing, or just a subtle intro/exit to cause panic. Love it to death. Just her, as nurse, walking confidently down the hallways, you KNOW she's gonna cause problems.

I will say - that Moloch was yes evil, but no where near as calculating, devious and just plain enjoyable as Pandora. Henry isn't even on the list for me, at this point. Well done, SS, and show. She deserves so much kudos. This is yet another example of great casting (IMO) and Shannon is doing a fantastic job. I'm very much looking forward to her interaction with Crane, but dammit, she has Abbie in her sights. She see Abbie in herself, I think, and relates, in a weird twisted way. Her telling Abbie snippets about her previous life/existance was heart-breaking. Is it wrong that I side with her?

Now, Tooth Fairy. Okay, when I first read it as the villian a few weeks ago, I kinda cringed. Really, the Tooth Fairy? But this fairy tale/monster narrative was amazingly done. A monster that adults cannot see, but kids can? So totally explaining kids claiming a monster under the bed/in closet,yet the parents just "tut, tut" them. Perfect and creepy. And okay, that monster was creepy as hell and kinda - I don't know. Proboscis probing and straddling a kid - I don't know man, but that truly creeped me out. Like, this is allowed on TV type of shock, but yeah, well done show, because completely creepy. Just purely messed up. That was something I'd never thought I'd see on such a PG-determined show.

But I love the transition from the way to eliminate the creature (silver coin/silver weapon/silver in general) to the current tradition of giving a kid money for losing a tooth. It is a seemless transition that does the SH twistory well. Loved it.

Now - Jenny and Abbie. Personally, I simply LOVED Jenny admitting to Abbie, "Yeah, I found Dad 5 years ago." Shrug. LOVE THAT. Jenny is practical also, and I totally understand her POV. She didn't know her Dad, she had no relationship - so why the drama? This speaks personally to me, but what a contrast to last season - i.e. Crane doesn't know son, still angst's over him. Seriously, Jenny, you are the best!! It honestly is one of the most refreshing scenes I've seen on TV. To have a character not become a emotional mess or emotionally lost over simple logic. I didn't know him, the guy wasn't there. Simple. THIS is what bothered me about season 2, and the whole Crane, "my son, my son, BS." Jenny spoke what I believe and have always believed. I love you, Jennifer!

And this episode had the much wanted (for me), Jenny/Crane scenes. Love those two together. Please give me some more!

The goofy Crane scenes. I'm a little bit torn. I think Tom Mison is bloody gifted in general. This episode (and previous) he has showed us that he is awesome at comedy like this. I mean, we had the pratfalls, the goofy attempts at him being well, goofy, the drugged-up Crane, and he is bloody brilliant at it. Truly. Think about the contrast. Crusty, stiff-upper-lip, reserved Crane, Crane ranting about something, then you get loving vow-spouting Crane, then you get the goofball to the extreme, all in the same episode. It's (one of the reasons) why I admire Mison (besides his brains and snark). He can change into so many personas that it's ridiculous. Fantastic actor.

But I hope they don't reduce Crane into a joke for this season. He's much more complex than this. A goofball yes in certain times, but he needs that complexity too (and no, season 2 did not provide that complexity).

And I want someone to transcribe EXACTLY what Pandora told Abbie. Abbie in a hospital! My baby! But Pandora visiting her, and basically stating how different she is, from the others, and how her father is messing with her. I need a transcript because there was so much information in there, but the weird/yet effective editing kind of distorted.

This was a good episode. Really good. Truly good. I quite enjoyed it.

Oh, and you writers having Pandora call Abbie a "Sleepyhead...? Yeah, screw off writers!!....But you know what (honestly)...I smiled at that. I really did. Yeah, I loved that to death. Seriously. Thank you. Nice touch, writers.

~ I like my Schadenfreude with a dash of smug and a side of snark ~
Old 10-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

I agree with most of what has been said about this episode. Loooved the creepy factor of the tooth fairy. It kinda reminded me of that movie "The Grudge" which to this day I will not watch unless its in daylight.

I also liked the creative camera work with Pandora. It kinda took us into Abbies mind with her being both in and out of it. Cool trick.

And Jenny knew about their dad, dun dun dun, the plot thickens. I have to say I'm with Jenny on that one. As someone who's real life shares many parallels with the Mills sisters and their daddy drama situation, lets just say reuniting with a parent who turned his back on his own flesh and blood in their time of need probably isn't going to do them much good today--other then dredge up all those abandonment issues again. Of course they could always do the Hollywood trick and gloss over everything too.

Agreed that Crane was being a bit cornier than usual, especially with the little girl. Im surprised her father wasnt more watchful of his daughter. If he didnt know Crane was there--that takes thing to a whole nother level of creepy. But yeah I really hope they tread carefully and avoid turning Crane into a caricature of himself.

Betsy Ross--Yawns. I dont understand what her point is. Even their kisses are boring. But come to think of it, his kisses with Katrina were boring and stiff to me too. Which makes me wonder if its TM and a kiss with Abbie might also be similar? Perhaps I need to watch more of Tom Misons work to study his kissing technique, lol. But joking aside, I am respectively staying in the shallow end of the Ichabbie shipping pool for now. I feel the distance between them this season, they arent as touchy feely as they have been in previous seasons, that sense of urgent anguish isnt there when the other is in mortal peril, and although circumstances call for it, there is still that thought in the back of my mind that tugs at me and whispers, its all a game and they will never happen. I will still ofcourse root from the sidelines and love all of their interactions together, especially the domestic stuff. It's obvious what should happen.

All in all, I give the episode a B+. It could have been an A if they had removed BR completely and allowed Crane to stay by Abbie's bedside.

Last edited by violasghost; 10-26-2015 at 02:52 PM
Old 10-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

I have to wonder if it's Tom Mison myself. I guess we'll see if he can generate any passion/sexual chemistry with Zoe.

Crane's had a few love interests/potential love interests, but so far, I haven't seen any kind of attraction/heat with Mison and these actresses. It does make me wonder about Ichabbie.

Or maybe Mison doesn't like "Ichabod & His Women", either, and it's bleeding into his performance?

Regardless, I shipped Ichabbie as a slowburn endgame couple when I still enjoyed Ichabod because of their chemistry and figured it would be built up to over the course of the show. I didn't start watching this show caring about shipping, it happened with those two because of the nature of the story and their chemistry. I've always been here for Headless and the supernatural concept/plot from the jump, and the characters - individually and in relationships (and not just romantic ones) followed.

I wasn't interested in seeing a bunch of other love interests for either character, unless they could believably bring ones in that fit into the show's framework/continuity/storylines. With Daniel they didn't even try, Betsy stomps all over their continuity. Zoe is just a Caroline rip off.

I enjoy romance in my supernatural shows, but the writing team hasn't proven to me that they can write romance or blend it into the show.

Their need to make Ichabod a "romantic lead", showing women falling all over themselves for him is tired. The last thing they needed was to toss two more women at Ichabod, after the poor writing of Katrina & Ichabod. They needed to pull back on the romance, especially where Ichabod was concerned and develop/grow his character because he's pretty stagnant (and I don't mean change his clothes).

This Betsy stuff only paints Ichabod in an even poorer light. It's to the character's detriment, how the timeline contradicts with his "great love" with Katrina - a love he was willing to throw his best friend under the bus for, go back on his word to his partner/friend for - and now they seem to be saying he had a thing for Betsy with this episode during the time he would've been head over heels for Katrina.

How unlikable Ichabod comes across to me by way of writer accident/sloppy storytelling has about killed Ichabbie for me. I wouldn't want Ichabbie to happen this season after this Betsy/Zoe stuff. If that’s what they’re using Betsy/Zoe to do, then Meh. There are so many different ways an Ichabbie pairing could be written better than that.

I can still ship it, but only with a writing rehabbed Ichabod (and not through him going through a string of women). And I could jump ship if they were to bring in a viable love interest for Abbie (not someone who'd been with her sister, or a FBI agent- slash boss), someone they can tie into the show's supernatural storylines and not keep on the sidelines as the "ordinary life".

~Kat