Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Castle - Season 1 Discussion #1

Please feel free to discuss what you liked/didn't like in season 1 of Castle.

(OP is a work in progress)
Talula78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Tftt

S1 was awesome. I'm doing a rewatch soon
Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Total Fan

I loved season 1 because of the early beginnings of Caskett, and I loved the banter between Nathan and Stana!

~ Katie
What's a hickey? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks for this thread

^ their banter is my favorite. i miss it

I don’t want realism, I want magic ✨
fragileღheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know I'm only on season two, but I felt like season one was strong. A lot of shows need some time to find their footing and work theirselves out (like Fringe) but this one was strong out of the box. It did take me a few eps to warm up to Castle, he rubbed me wrong multiple times in the pilot, but it didn't take too long and the storylines and characters were fresh and solid.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

^Agreed, Nicole. I felt it was pretty strong out of the box, but since it was a mid season replacement I was always worried about its fate back when it aired. Fortunately, ABC stuck with it & it has turned out to be my favorite show on TV! I actually thought Stana was the weak link back then, as her acting felt very green to me, but she has since improved significantly, found her footing & their chemistry was & is off the charts! And that banter everyone is speaking of I fell in love with from the start.

Nicole, I'm interested when exactly you warmed up to him? Was there a certain gesture he did to make you change your mind about his character? He was a bit of a narcissist at first, but the little subtle hints he gave in the pilot clued me in that he was more than just a self-indulgent author. When he was prying, trying to guess her back story and he could tell he struck a nerve, he immediately pulled back & his face & voice changed dramatically. That, and the connection he had with his daughter & mother added a bit more depth.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well what initially rubbed me wrong, apart from his narcissism, was his comments when Beckett was questioning him and how some of them were sexual, which a lot of men do to throw women off their game by making them uncomfortable, it's happened to me, and I hate it. But I was able to really, really warm up to him. It was mostly his relationship with his daughter that did it initially, but part of it was just time.

And I agree, even me being halfway through season two only, Stana has gotten a lot better. It was the same way with Catherine Bell on JAG, her tone of voice was a lot different in season two than season three, and she acknowleges it in commentary, that she was so nervous (she was the third person they got to play Harm's partner, the first lasted one episode in that role and the other the rest of the first season, Catherine Bell stuck and Mac was his partner S2-S10.) and so intimidated that she went over the top trying to sound tough and authoritative, and it took her a little while to relax into the role. I don't think Stana was exactly the same way (I think she was more 'green' than 'nervous'), but the same idea, it just took them a little while to find their groove.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Well what initially rubbed me wrong, apart from his narcissism, was his comments when Beckett was questioning him and how some of them were sexual, which a lot of men do to throw women off their game by making them uncomfortable, it's happened to me, and I hate it. But I was able to really, really warm up to him. It was mostly his relationship with his daughter that did it initially, but part of it was just time.
Ah, interesting, I can see where you're coming from. I see it a little differently. I think it showed how contrasting in personality they both were & as hard as Castle tried to shake her, he couldn't. She wasn't gonna take his crap & you were given an insight into how no-nonsense a cop she really was. Castle was, at that point, just a juvenile, childish playboy trying out his many lines which typically work on the bimbos (as Beckett calls them) he's dated but it's different with this one. And that is a challenge for him & it's like a dog w/ a bone, he becomes immediately intrigued by her. The brilliant thing is seeing how one affects the other over time; Beckett takes Castle down a peg & Castle gets Beckett to loosen up a bit. Gah, I love them & love how their story plays itself out over the seasons, it's a treat to see!

Quote:
And I agree, even me being halfway through season two only, Stana has gotten a lot better. It was the same way with Catherine Bell on JAG, her tone of voice was a lot different in season two than season three, and she acknowleges it in commentary, that she was so nervous (she was the third person they got to play Harm's partner, the first lasted one episode in that role and the other the rest of the first season, Catherine Bell stuck and Mac was his partner S2-S10.) and so intimidated that she went over the top trying to sound tough and authoritative, and it took her a little while to relax into the role. I don't think Stana was exactly the same way (I think she was more 'green' than 'nervous'), but the same idea, it just took them a little while to find their groove.
Yeah, I think it was just a matter of her being a fairly green actress & finding her bearings as a character. By the end of the first season, she was fine & I fell in love with her character.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
That, and the connection he had with his daughter & mother added a bit more depth.
I love his relationship with alexis and martha. A joy to watch
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, him not being able to throw her off made me respect Beckett a lot, but him trying to do it upset me, because in my experience it shows a lack of respect for women in authoritative positions, and some people do it because they are uncomfortable with powerful women and are trying to reduce them back to sexual creatures because that's what those men are comfortable viewing women as. And since I work (albeit low level) security at my job, and have been told things such as "your place is in the kitchen or on your back," and have had more than a few encounters where I'm alone in a field with men who started making comments along the lines of Castle's "I'd be happy to let you spank me," that scene in the pilot was almost triggery for me. Because in my experience, men who have made those comments have scared me so much I've gone home and cried in relief that I've always been able to get away. I did know Castle wasn't "that" type of person since, well he's a main character and the show is so loved, but that first scene with Beckett gave me the same uneasy feeling in my gut that I've had at work, so it was a matter of me having to then see what a good guy/father he is than just knowing it because it's a show.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Aw, I'm sorry you've had those experiences! I can see how that'd trigger some pretty bad feelings, that definitely has an effect on what you're seeing.

Even now, 6 seasons into their relationship, Castle still regresses into that childish jackass but Beckett has just learned to take that part of him with a grain of salt. And occasionally, Beckett hints at some kinkiness which teases him right back. She can deliver it just as good as he can, it's that dance that makes those two so exciting as a couple.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I'm glad you can at least see where I'm coming from. But while I probably won't be watching the pilot again, Castle won me over pretty quickly.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Yeah, I'm glad you can at least see where I'm coming from. But while I probably won't be watching the pilot again, Castle won me over pretty quickly.
Castle has that effect on people. It had that effect on me! And Nathan is just so damn good in that role, it's a perfect fit!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nathan is perfect as castle, I can't imagine someone else playing him
Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agre with you abbie. He's the perfect choice for castle

I don’t want realism, I want magic ✨
fragileღheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread