Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas forever (View Post)
i would hope that no one would ever hate themselves as much as to be called ugly by someone and then give them a blow job
Sadly it happens very often

Quote:
it doesn't make sense that she'd devalue herself sexually for a heartless turd like liam. rae knows how she wants to be treated and if she can stand up to archie for leading her on, she can sure as hell know she's worth more than what she's doing now. heck, rae's attitude towards her mom makes me know she thinks she's worth more.
I agree that it doesn't make sense but it's not supposed to, that's how disorders work. Take someone who's anorexic for example (I'm just picking something at random to make the point), they know on a rational level that what they're doing isn't helping but they do it anyway. Most people with mental disorders can be completely rational when giving arguments and describing life scenarios but they'll act from an irrational place, internally. It's like when you see really smart people make really stupid decisions. It's not that they're suddenly stupid for a moment, it's just that they're in situation where something inside of them takes over and they're not able to think rationally.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by {worshipfulness} (View Post)
that's how disorders work.
or maybe the show's just trying too hard to generalize the female gender by saying, no matter how you look, we all have the same problems... ie, that laughable ending montage with rae and chloe walking towards the same ending.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Maybe, it's impossible to know what exactly the show's trying to do. I'm just saying that while some people think that, others will relate to it and be thankful for it.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i think the opposite. i think it's sending the wrong message altogether. in fact, if rae was acting irrational or subconsciously while seeking out liam the first time, ok, but after reading chloe's diary, there is no way you can blame denial or being in another state of mind on rae treating herself like garbage in tonight's ep. she had total clarity, which is even more devastating.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

She felt even worse about herself after reading the diary, so the way I see it she had two choices, either learn from it and change things or self-destruct even more because of her self-hate. I guess the show could've gone either way. They're probably saving the first option for the finale though.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:39 AM
New Fan

I see what they were trying to do with this episode and how they wanted Rae and the audience to see that someone like Chloe is insecure and gets rejected too. I just don't see why it had to take up so much of the episode.

I thought for a second after Rae read the part about Finn not being over her she'd realize that she should be with him, but she goes to Liam again!! I guess she feels Chloe should have Finn now because Chloe is a better friend then Rae has been. I really thought Rae was a good friend to Chloe also, because she didn't go to that concert she went with Chloe to Dr when she needed that abortion. I just feel they are equal in the friendship.

This episode made Rae seem like an awful friend, I can see why she'd feel bad but she seemed almost like a villian.

This episode had really sad moments where I felt awful for Rae and Chloe but that crying scene with Archie felt a bit off to me like something was forced.

No idea how they will wrap up this season with one episode left... makes me nervous!!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Supreme Fan

I think this ep was completely unnecessary. Sure it was great that Rae finally saw things from Chloe's pov and realized a lot about herself but what's the point if she didn't do anything to change it around? I wanted her to break free of Liam and his horrible outlook on pretty much everything but it only drew her back to him and then some. It made things worse when it had the potential to make it a hell of a lot better. UGH. I really didn't want fast resolutions happening in the last ep but sadly that's what we're going to get.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I saw on tumblr someone say this season has been drama on top of drama on top of drama with nothing really being done and I kinda agree. It's like you could tell they were waiting until the last episode before they started to move forward on most things. I'm ok with drama and angst but I don't know. This season felt like too much. The only thing that has really moved forward has been Archie and Rae's friendship. And while I love that it sucks it's kinda the only thing.

But again maybe the next episode will make things much clearer or at least help me understand more what this season was doing. I really hope this last episode is a good one.

Just read this tumblr post and this is pretty much what I meant in an earlier post here but this tumblr post describes it (especially the parts I put in bold) so much better than I did. And having watched the episode they can go further.

Quote:
i think the problem is that it… felt a bit like a retcon to me?

rae as an unreliable narrator is interesting, but i felt like it came out of nowhere. there have been times before where rae’s voiceover has obviously clashed with what we’re seeing on screen, so in that sense i’m used to her being unreliable. but we’ve never had indication before that what we’re seeing as real-time events aern’t really what’s going on, but merely rae’s memory of it. so having this episode basically go “no, all those scenes you’ve watched for the past season and a half are only recollections, and rae’s recollections are inaccurate” changes the score a lot and i’m not sure i like the way it does so.

chloe’s perspective on some scenes is radically different from what we were shown, so it felt like this way of garnering sympathy for chloe was to go “just kidding she didn’t do half the stuff you thought she did”. i know it was meant to be a wake-up call for rae, and rae was meant to realize how self-centered she’s been, but to me as a viewer it also felt like i’d been lied to. okay, so how many other scenes where someone’s been terrible to rae were actually just fabricated? how many other times has a character who brushed off rae actually been superduper supportive and rae just didn’t notice? how many times have i sympathized with rae for something that didn’t happen??

i think the truth of it is meant to be somewhere between the rae version and the chloe version — but it’s hard to navigate that as a viewer, especially when you had no idea you weren’t seeing the real version until now.

like… stuff like chloe’s perspective on finn and how much she loves him is one thing, something we couldn’t have had from just rae’s pov. but the flipping of all the rae/chloe fight scenes — stuff like how visibly upset rae was after being assaulted at the party, vs how not visibly upset she was in chloe’s version, to chloe calling rae “frigid” for being assaulted in rae’s POV to that never happening in chloe’s POV, like, those are big differences, it’s not just giving me chloe’s POV it is telling me a totally different version of events. so as a viewer, what am i supposed to take from that? was chloe really crying and trying to reach out to rae, or was she really blaming rae for almost being raped?

i guess i felt kind of like this episode threw rae under the bus for chloe. “chloe’s always been there for me and I’ve never been there for her” was rae’s realization in this episode but i couldn’t help thinking, like, “was she, though???” i feel like there were ways to make chloe sympathetic and to show what she’s struggling with and insecure about without giving us such an about-face on certain important, pivotal scenes. stuff like chloe worrying that she isn’t funny and wishing she could be funny like rae is one thing, stuff like whether or not chloe just abruptly left rae to go talk to skeevy gym teacher or not is another.

Last edited by fractured moonlight; 03-18-2014 at 11:56 AM
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Ugh this episode...

I love that it showed us a different side of Chloe. To me that didn't felt forced at all, maybe because I always liked Chloe. But I think we've seen many times that Chloe had flaws, but she was a good friend to Rae. And she also had a lot of insecurities of her own. So I'm happy that Rae sees all of that too now.

What I really hated (and just like everybody else) is how they completely changed certain scenes that had already happened. It's one thing to see things in Chloe's perspective (which makes sense), but it's a whole other thing to see things so differently. How is that even possible?! Rae has many flaws too, but her memory works well. How could she get so many things wrong or just forget about how certain things happened? This makes no sense, now thanks for this I guess we don't know for sure if what we are watching on the episodes is what it really happened. Great.

The end of the episode broke my heart, I thought Rae was following Chloe to that creep's house to get her, but then... I get why she went with Liam, but I can't even begin to express how much I hated that.

©
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Maybe next episode we will get to see how things actually went down now we have two different versions.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Honestly, I'm not expecting that to happen tbh, but hopefully I'm wrong. I can't believe that the next episode will already be the season finale, it feels that they have to finish so many storylines.

©
Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It's probably not but I don't see the point of showing us her pov spanning over the entire series and having so many question Rae so much on this. Especially if the show keeps showing it from Rae's pov.

They really do so either it might be rushed or there will be a ton of open endings and maybe everyone starting to get better but not quite there yet.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well. Finally watched the episode because I just got back from my holiday.

It didn't destroy my MMFD loving soul as much as I expected, based on what I read here and other places online before watching the episode itself, but it wasn't good either.

I liked hearing things from Chloe's POV because as we all know by now, Rae's POV isn't exactly 100% accurate because she also blows certain things out of proportion and can be pretty frustratingly self absorbed at times. And it was good hearing her finally realising it. Wish she had realised it herself without having to see it from other people's eyes but maybe that has the impact of hitting her harder. Hopefully anyway. I agree that the actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle because Chloe is seeing things from her rose-coloured glasses as well ... and probably projecting some self pity in the way she was describing certain aspects of her friendship with Rae. It made me sad to see her fall into a bad path with the older guys but it also made complete sense because she feels like that's the only way she can excel at something. Anything.

But I don't really buy that she liked Finn that much, personally I just think she's the kind of person who craves attention and needs to be in a relationship probably more than other people. And because Finn is one of the few guys who isn't a complete shthead to her and actually treats her well, she likes that and fancies him, instead of having actual feelings for him. And thinking how long Finn should be single before she makes a move ... dude, that's your best mate's ex. Pretty sure that's against the sisterhood code or something.

Archie. He wasn't kidding when he said that he pretended to be asleep and let Chloe kissed him for a bit. He looked like a person playing dead while a bear was sniffing around him.

We knew it already but Finn saying that he broke up with Olivia because he can't get over Rae. The boy's in deep. Which makes me sad for him because Rae fcking doesn't deserve him right now. She didn't even acknowledge that fact or show any emotion about it when she learned that fact from reading Chloe's diary. Like WTH. The feelings feel so one-sided at the moment and I wished that instead of showing how much Finn still likes Rae, that it was shown how much she still has feelings for him. Because it sure as heck doesn't feel like that's the case right now.

YAY for Danny Two Hats going home. Awh. A sweet victory amidst the chaos.

Ugh the ending. Not much to say that hasn't already been said but as warped/fcked up as that was, I kind of get why she did why she did. She's already at the lowest point possible, she messed things up with the person who loves her for who she is, her best mate, her mother and the gang is in pieces (though I don't get why she can't talk to say Izzy, ARE THEY EVEN FRIENDS ANYMORE UGH. It seems like they are so why can't she talk to her about the heavier stuff? Izzy seems like she'd be a good listener. SMH.) and then fcking Liam poisoned her brain with all that talk about how "people can't change'. Fcking Liam. I can't believe I actually liked you at one point.

It breaks my heart to say this but it's been nothing but downhill from 2X03 onwards which I'm disappointed about and I honestly don't think it'll be realistic if everything is all nicely righted and wrapped up in the finale. I think the gang will start mending things and Rae/Finn will sort of start seeing each other (taking things slower this time around) or at least start communicating better. PLEASE let the finale be much better than the last 4 episodes.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit

Last edited by destroyer of worlds; 03-19-2014 at 02:10 AM
Old 03-19-2014, 07:23 AM
New Fan

Quote:
or maybe the show's just trying too hard to generalize the female gender by saying, no matter how you look, we all have the same problems... ie, that laughable ending montage with rae and chloe walking towards the same ending.
I totally agree with you. I think that they made it all seem about men in some way how we just end up as women being some mans toy or something. This was unsettling for me.

sorry for spelling and stuff I just woke up and I am still emotionally distraught from the last episode.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~-Sarah-~ (View Post)
The feelings feel so one-sided at the moment and I wished that instead of showing how much Finn still likes Rae, that it was shown how much she still has feelings for him.
I'm with you. I wanted some form of reaction, some type of emotion to come up but nothing. It's not that I don't think she has feelings for him but we have been shown time and time again, especially after the break-up, that Finn is head over heels in love but she has locked all of that in so bad so it's hard to decipher where she is in terms of her feelings for him. It's like she's not allowing herself to even feel anything right now and it's really hard to watch.

Quote:
Fcking Liam. I can't believe I actually liked you at one point.
FCKING LIAM INDEED. I feel sorry for him tbh. That dude has such a ****ty outlook on life that he truly feels he's not worth a nickle. If Rae has issues, then this guy has some serious problems. Not even Kester or therapy had help him out at this point. And with that, I'd like Rae to get as far as possible away from him.