Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Really? That's just silly. Hopefully they do one episode a week instead then

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

The first season aired during the OUAT hiatus and since it's a comedy they decided to air two episodes a week. Eight episodes, so in a month it was over.

Yeah, maybe this time they decide to give it a try and air one episode only, even though it hadn't such brilliant ratings...

Billy Elliot was cool the kid playing the title role is good, but I guess not that much at tap, because he didn't dance that much. He did more ballet stuff.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:18 AM
Graphics Team Manager

If they feel it worked like that then they probably won't try changing it to one episode a week, especially if it doesn't have the besrbest ratings. But so silly to air it like that, even if it was to fit into the OUAT hiatus

Glad you enjoyed it . Honestly i forgot there was any dancing other than ballet in it but it has been years since i saw it

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

There's also another thing I don't get, they released a soundtrack but it misses a lot of the songs of the season. Smash at least released singles, but Galavant never did maybe because it was Disney?

Quote:
Honestly i forgot there was any dancing other than ballet in it but it has been years since i saw it
The London's Billy does a lot of tap. Also in Born To Boogie (the song the dance teacher sings to him at his first private lesson), where he taps jumping the row (the italian Billy does this, but not much!
The last number of first act, he dances basically all tap - it's the song where he shows his anger and frustration. But the Billy I saw here did more pirouettes and things lying on the floor. I was a little disappointed

I mean I know in musicals like Billy there's often a "special number" where the Billy can shows his special ability - if he's more ballet trained he can do that or do tap or acrobatics, etc - but I thoight tap was a must for him. Even if the character does ballet, I thought he had to be a tap dancer too. The kid who plays Michael was stronger on tap, for example (but he doesn't do ballet).

Akso several actors who, in the original London production, do tap dancing at least in the end of the musical, here don't (they hadn't claquettes under their shoes). The dance teacher probably doesn't have tap shoes neither on Born To Boogie where she should (she makes the dance steps, but without tap shoes).

I guess it was hard to find actors trained in tap? It's a more US/UK musical theatre thing, I think. In italian musicals it's extremely rare to find tap numbers, it's more contemporary/modern/ballet stuff.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:31 AM
Graphics Team Manager

That is strange. Guess they didn't think they'd sell too well or couldn't sell them like that

It really has been too long since i saw it . Or maybe they didn't tap in the Australian version either, but i just can't remember. Although your comment about him showing his frustration brings back some memories, but i can't remember any other moments. Not having tap there would be strange as it adds to the frustration. I would have been disapointed too

It probably is as you said - they couldn't get people who could do the tap parts. That is a shame though. They could have at least worn the shoes as that probably would have made a difference, even if they weren't tapping as much as other productions of it

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
They could have at least worn the shoes as that probably would have made a difference, even if they weren't tapping as much as other productions of it
I bet mostly of the audience know the story because of the movie, I don't know how many people actually know that they tap so much. I know it because I've the London bluray

Quote:
but i can't remember any other moments.
Here you are the dvd/bluray scene of the London production (the only live dvd that exists). The dance starts at minute 1 or so

Quote:
Not having tap there would be strange as it adds to the frustration. I would have been disapointed too
Exactly! I was like 'you have tap shoes, use them!' I mean, Billy is not a tap dancer because he's a ballet kid, but since he does tap why cast a kid who's a great dancer but not that great in tap?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:47 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I saw both the musical & the movie at/with school in one of my final years so i probably should remember it better even if that was back in 2008 or 2009

I don't know. It should be played by someone who can do both, no matter how good they are at ballet

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I've never watched the movie but I think that I went to see it now because of my deeper interest (and knowledge) in musicals, I guess years ago I wouldn't have go see a show with a kid as lead character AND a heavy-danced show - that's why I've never watched the movie.
Now I think about all the shows I missed even few years ago, ones who came on theatres here, like Chicago or Frankestein Junior or other italian musical comedies. I know I can't see everything because it's expensive, but

One I don't have the interest in seeing live in Grease. I watched the movie, but it left me indifferent now here it's back on theatre, but I won't go. Later this year instead there's Cabaret and even though isn't one of my favorites, I'm curious to see the stage version. The movie has two different and parallels stories, but on stage you can't do the same, because you have one place to show everything we had also a masterclass with one of the actors, this week

Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Movies are different to musicals but it could still be interesting for you to see it. You can then compare the two

It is easy to miss good things when they aren't something you usually would see, i know what you are saying & mean

I have seen Grease & i like the movie but the musical didn't impress me all that much

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I think I'll watch it, at some point

I've always loved going to see musicals, but now I see them with a "different eye", that's why I think back at all those I missed

One that surprised me is Fame. I watched the movie years ago and i thought there were more songs.

Tomorrow is show night! Tap show. Scary I won't be here to post.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Graphics Team Manager

How did the tap show go? Also happy belated birthday

It is good to be able to see things with a different eye

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

The show went well! But it was veeeeeery long, three and a half hours (not all tap stuff, anyway) we had only few tap stuff to do, but obviously we had to stay until the end. And we were at the theatre since morning!

It was cool to perform in front of A LOT of people, in one of the most important theatres of my city.

Thank you

Old 05-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I'm glad it went well . A long day I'm sure but I'm sure it was worth it ?

You were performing in one of the most important theaters in your city? That sounds so cool

Did you have a good birthday?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
A long day I'm sure but I'm sure it was worth it ?
We had few things to do, so I think that we didn't need all that time being at the theatre, because we spent most of the time before the show doing nothing.

Quote:
You were performing in one of the most important theaters in your city? That sounds so cool
It's quite famous, yeah a lot of musicals open there.

I had a quiet day, it was the day after the show, so no school. I don't party, so I simply stayed with my family and basically did my usual daily stuff

Old 05-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Well that is silly then

That is really cool

That still sounds like a good way to spend the day

Chelle » join GTmy art