Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

No, it's a tv movie I think she'll stay away from series at least until the album is out.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Uh, right thanks now I remember.
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I'll remember you in May, don't worry

Old 12-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

That is a great Instagram picture!
They may not show all the snow & cold when the movie airs in May, unless the story covers a year or so timeline.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 12-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

But they started one month ago, I guess in Vancouver there was snow already

Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't even know much about this movie so we'll have to wait and see what happens in it.
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I posted the synopsis of it in the first page of this thread and also there you thought it was a show

Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by airali_glo (View Post)
But they started one month ago, I guess in Vancouver there was snow already
Vancouver the city doesn't get tons of snow like most of Canada. It's on the Pacific Coast.
Lots of movies and TV series are filmed in that area and you won't see snow unless the story calls for it.
They can create their own environment.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Oh, I didn't know I only have (had) Nikita, but it was filmed in Toronto pretending to be NYC, but there wasn't a lot of snow (or, I guess, they removed it before filming).

Kat is a LA woman, a completely different weather

Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

LA is definitely different kind of climate! iirc, Kat was always cold in NYC, too.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

They filmed in winter, too bad that it wasn't in summer, NYC is hot, then

Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

I imagine Kat wishes she could get an acting job in Southern California for a nice change!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Yeah, it would be a nice thing, she could also keep working at the album - even if I hope it's a matter of finishing details, now.

An interview at the Hong Kong event, in October. It came out today

Quote:
Katharine McPhee interviewed by Prestige Hong Kong

“KATHARINE MCPHEE talks to CHRISTINA KO about going from reality-TV star to real-world success”

REALITY. IT SIGNIFIES A wake-up call for most of us, but means a whole lot more to a generation of TV stars made up of people merely being themselves in front of a camera. As a genre, reality TV had its heyday almost a decade ago, and while many of the names have faded into notoriety or the annals of Wikipedia, a handful have channelled that window of fame into brighter careers.

For Katharine McPhee, entering American Idol wasn’t just a highway into the public eye, but a means to an end, that “end” being an acting and singing career. She’s real in a way that’s different from your stereotypical reality-TV star: candid, rather than overly open; matter-of-fact, rather than sensationalist; herself, rather than a product of a team of image consultants.

In Hong Kong recently to perform at Landmark’s annual Boutique Boulevard retail-and-entertainment extravaganza, McPhee was girlishly giddy about her future. Her musical TV show, Smash, had just ended after a two-year run, and she’d been back in the studios working on an album, her third overall and her debut with Columbia Records, as well as the first, she believes, that properly represents who she is as an artist. Finding who she is as a person, of course, is an ongoing process (as evidenced by recent headline-grabbing gossip developments) – but on the eve of her Hong Kong concert, McPhee was more than happy to share the ups and downs of her personal growth.

You arrived last night, but your big gig isn’t till tomorrow. What have you been up to so far?
I’ve basically in the last 15 hours been schooled about Landmark. Last night I got in around 8.30pm and I was so excited; the stores were still open. They gave me my room key and then I went straight to Miu Miu, and I was like, “I have to get these shoes.”

You got your start on American Idol, a singing competition, but you’ve branched out into the acting world. Will music always be part of your life?
Growing up, that was the first thing that I knew I was good at. My mom was a voice teacher and my dad’s dad is the dean of music at the University of Denver. So it’s in my blood and I always loved singing. And then when I got into high school I auditioned for musicals and plays, and I got really into theatre and acting. That’s when my focus shifted a little bit. I mean, how do you get a record deal? Do you just go stand outside of a record company and sing for them? I didn’t have those kinds of connections, so for me the acting world seemed a little simpler in a way. I knew you had to get an agent, and the agent got you auditions. I got an agent and I started doing little commercials here and there in LA. I wasn’t getting the kind of job opportunities that I wanted, and so I used American Idol as a way. I had confidence that I would make it onto the show, but I didn’t think that I would nearly win. I just thought in my mind, I’ll use it as a way to get myself further in the business, get a little name recognition, get a little better agent.

And it pretty much did that for you.
It did exactly that, only a little more. It’s an interesting balance being on a show like that, because sometimes you can almost become more famous for just being on the show, before you even put any music out. Before you’re even known for anything. So it’s been an interesting journey because I’ve had to do things backwards. I got well known from the show and I put out some music that did OK, and then I got on a TV show. A lot of people want the respect and then the fame, but I was famous first and I’ve had to prove myself and get jobs to try to be a legitimate actress.

What’s on your plate now that Smash has wrapped?
I’ve been working on a record. It’s going to be my debut with Columbia Records and I’m really excited about it. I put out a couple of records but I don’t think I ever nailed down who I am as an artist. I think that I’ve been slower in developing in that way. And this record is going to be my first real record, because I feel like I’ve had so much experience now writing songs…and writing bad songs…getting paired up in the right rooms with the right people. When I arrive in places like Hong Kong…I think about it in cities like this, I think I have to work harder, and it has to be authentic to me because the music can open up opportunities for me to come to places like this.

Who are people you would like to work with?
I could say technically I collaborated with Steven Spielberg, he was one of the producers on the show…I met him right after I came offAmerican Idol. He wanted to take a meeting with me and I was like, “Um, OK!” I went to his offices and he’s how you expect him to be; his public persona is just how he is – endearing, engaging. He asked me all these questions and if I wanted to act. It’s like he could see it, he could see certain things in certain people. And I was like, “Yeah, I want to be an actress.” Of course, coming off Idol it’s a cliché thing to say, and it’s not a thing I felt comfortable publicly saying. But that was always my intention, and he could see that, which was really cool. And he was, way back then, seven years ago, getting this idea for a TV show of a musical, and years later he ended up hiring me for it.
Musically, I’ve just been in with quite a few different songwriters, but Isa Machine – or Isabella Summers, Florence’s writing partner in Florence and the Machine, they’ve written a lot of songs together – and we’ve had an amazing time; she’s producing a number of songs on my record.

Most people talk about artists they want to work with, so it’s interesting that you mention a songwriter. Is that an aspect of music that fascinates you?
I dabbled in songwriting on the second record that I made, and I really didn’t enjoy it. I’m sure I was quoted saying, “Oh, I loved it.” But that’s what you have to say when you’re promoting something: Oh I love it, I love it, I love it. But really I didn’t enjoy it, and it’s interesting that I kept having people push me and encourage me to keep writing. And now I really love the process of writing, but it’s because I know myself better now, so I’m not going to sit in a room with writers and write something that’s not right for me. I’ve gotten better in steering the direction for songs that are for me. So now I love the process.

You’ve spoken publicly about your struggle with an eating disorder.
That’s not exactly it. When I was in high school, I struggled with it. And when I came off of Idol I came out with it. I got the necessary help and I’m someone who loves food, and I think for me the best healing in those kinds of situations is finding passion in what you love to do. Because the reality is, I do want to be an actress, and a specific kind of actress, which is an ingénue, so you do have to look a certain way and be a certain weight. I talked about it a little bit, but I don’t talk about it any more because I don’t want it to define who I am. At the time I was very young to talk about it, I felt really proud of it when I came out to talk about it, that I had overcom something so difficult. But now, as I’m older, I don’t want it to be the first thing that people remember me for, because it’s not something I struggle with any more. But glad to touch on it and tell people it’s not something you have to deal with for the rest of your life.

Well, what I wanted to know is if, like Idol, this is something that you feel you’ll always be associated with.
I’m fortunate to be able to move on from that. All of that has been attributed to gaining some success and being able to focus on the work and not just being like, “I’ll never get the work because I’m too heavy”, or this or that.

What do you want people to remember you for?
My work. I did one TV show and, critically, it did really well. And that felt great, to be a part of that. I think I’m an example of whatIdol is supposed to do for contestants, which is have them move on to do something that makes them memorable for something different to what they got their start in. I’d love to tour next year. Make the record of my dreams, one that I’m honestly behind. This record for me, if I can’t feel proud of it, I don’t really know that I would want to put out another record. I want this to be the thing that defines me as a music artist.
source

Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

That is a terrific interview! Thanks for posting it, Ilaria!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

It's interesting that she admits she doesn't like writing songs, but that in the past she had to say so because it was part of the album promotion.