Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
LR can just remain together in my mind & Dan can just disappear

Quote:
you don't find out who Gossip Girl is in the books so that's wonderful because now I just want to pick apart the show & find all the places where it doesn't make sense for GG to be saying these things
In the books GG is not such a big deal, honestly "she" only says "spotted" here and there, that's it in the show they made HIM really mean.

Do you have all the books?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Very true. She became far more important & more of a character, & a mean one, in the show than the books. Although they didn't always use her during all the seasons, when they did she was meaner & still more important than the books. The books she more just gave updates

I have all the books in the main series & the prequel/sequel but none of the spinoffs

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
The books she more just gave updates
And the characters almost never mentiones her

The idea of the show was nice and fun to watch, but I think it lasted too much. A show like that should have aired for half of its seasons (so 3 max). They added a lot of stuff to keep it on air, but very few things were interesting or well played.

Quote:
I have all the books in the main series & the prequel/sequel but none of the spinoffs
I read only the first seven books, but I plan to finish them all, prequel included. Unfortunately not all of them have been translated, only the first six. But the english is very easy (they're books for teen), so it's not really a problem. I've the first and the seventh in english

Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Exactly, they don't. In the books she isn't as important to them as she is in the show. It is part of what makes her more of a character in the show

Agreed, it went on too long. Really she shouldn't have graduated with them, it should have ended after school or maybe gone on a little more. Once none of them seemed to be in school, it was just about their lives, I think it had gone too far. They'd all grown up then, so really GG should have just ended & left them alone to get on with their lives

Pity only the first 6 were translated but I'm glad the english is easy to understand. They are pretty basic & as you said aimed at teens so I can understand. Hope you can read them all at some point . I just counted, in total there's 13 books in the main series including the prequel & sequel so you're about half way through them which is pretty good

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
Exactly, they don't. In the books she isn't as important to them as she is in the show. It is part of what makes her more of a character in the show
Sometimes, while reading, I wondered why the books are called GG when its character basically doesn't exist

Quote:
They'd all grown up then, so really GG should have just ended & left them alone to get on with their lives
I agree. At the end we see that GG is another person, after Dan left it (we see another generation of Nate, Blair, Serena, etc)...GG was for high school.

I didn't like also all that CB drama, it was too much and the others kept having silly storylines.

Quote:
I just counted, in total there's 13 books in the main series including the prequel & sequel so you're about half way through them which is pretty good
By sequel do you mean The Carlyle series?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 AM
Graphics Team Manager

GG was for highschool, & they could have shown another generation still like they did if they ended it sooner or kept them in school longer (made one school year last two seasons for example)

Quote:
By sequel do you mean The Carlyle series?
Nope. I haven't read them. There is a longer book called "I Will Always Love You" which is the final book in the series, considered a sequel. Then I think The Carlyle series is classed as a spin-off but I'm not sure

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
There is a longer book called "I Will Always Love You" which is the final book in the series, considered a sequel.
Oh, yeah, now I remember it. Yep, it's already in my Amazon wishlist I planned to read them all except Psycho Killer I'm not interested in Jenny, so I won't read The IT Girl.

Jenny was so cute in the books, I wonder why they changed that much in the show.

Quote:
Then I think The Carlyle series is classed as a spin-off but I'm not sure
It seems it's GG with new girls and guys, but I don't know wheter there's still GG or not.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Yeah I don't know that I want to read Psycho Killer either

I prefer Jenny in the books, don't really like her in the show. Maybe part of the changes were the actress but not sure . She was closer to the books in the first season but then changed

Quote:
It seems it's GG with new girls and guys, but I don't know wheter there's still GG or not.
I'm not sure either

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
She was closer to the books in the first season but then changed
I wonder how much the change of Taylor influenced that.

Have you checked the new pilots trailers? I don't remember if I already asked you

Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I wouldn't be surprised if she did influence at least some of it

I've seen some of them, but not many. The ones Smash cast are in, the one you asked about in the OT thread, & one for the new NCIS spin off

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I wonder if with NCIS they want to do like CSI, with several spinoffs...I'm not a fan, but what's the point in make spinoffs that are exactly like the mother series except for the city? I guess it's the same for NCIS, right?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I think they want to make as much money out of the series as they can. At least when it came from JAG that was different but now NCIS LA & NCIS New Orleans are similar shows just in a new location. They do have differences & I'm sure they each are unique in their own way (or will be in the case of the new one) but mostly it is just to make as much money as they can with something they knew has worked in the past . The new CSI is at least like many of the Law & Order spin offs in a new section (Cyber crimes) more than just a new location but still probably more because it is safer to go with something they know works as they hope it'll do well because fans of the original may at least try the new one. I have a feeling that the new NCIS is more like the original than NCIS LA was which isn't appealing as I'd rather just watch the original . At least NCIS LA has characters that don't seem like carbon copies of the NCIS ones. I think picking up & moving cities is what you do with crime shows though: CSI (set in Las Vegas), CSI Miami, CSI New York, NCIS (set in Washington), NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS New Orleans, Law & Order (set in New York), Law & Order Los Angeles... then other countries have done their own Law & Orders as there was a French version of Criminal Intent, a Russian version of both SVU & Criminal Intent, then there is the UK version of the original series

Chelle » join GTmy art

Last edited by shinebrighterxx; 06-04-2014 at 07:05 PM
Old 06-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
then other countries have done their own Law & Orders as there was a French version of Criminal Intent, a Russian version of both SVU & Criminal Intent, then there is the UK version of the original series
I don't know if we have a version of those too, if we so, it has a different name and probably it's not a "remake" but a show with the same plot, simply.

At some point I think it's also difficult for all those spinoffs to have success, when they're too much they can't be all good, in terms of ratings.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I wouldn't be surprised if you do, even if it doesn't have the same or similar name. I'm surprised Australia doesn't have a version really

I just think that networks are scared of original ideas, but even remakes & spinoffs can be hit & miss, then something may suffer (either the new show or the old one)

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 06-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

I found out some time ago that they made a soap from a book I read some years ago, "The time in between" by Maria Duenas. I liked it and maybe I would have checked this soap too, if they had used the same book title They changed it even if the characters and everything is the same of the book.

A spy story, set during World War II, with a spanish woman who becomes first a couturier and then an undercover agent for the Allies. The book is intriguing

Quote:
but even remakes & spinoffs can be hit & miss, then something may suffer (either the new show or the old one)
The comparison with the mother series or the original is always there and it's difficult to praise all the fans.