Part-Time Fan

Can't wait
Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Coucou melodie welcome back to the board
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 PM
New Fan

Over-all, good, solid episode.

So, Harvey's still growing into being managing partner, which makes sense. I do hope every week won't turn into Harvey vs Donna/Louis. While I don't think he handled them well at all, I do agree with his decision regarding mike's client. I don't think Donna or Louis's arguments rang true- it was hardly reneging on the deal with Mike. This was Mike's SECOND pro bono in a row. Harvey actually bent over backwards for Mike. It was a conflict of interest. It's a corporate law firm. And, really, this would have been a very bad way to start Alex's time with the firm, as Harvey said. He needed to give Alex one, especially after the name partner thing. I also don't think it sends a message that they're bullied by their clients. One- we've already seen Harvey not cave to bullying. And that wasn't what his decision was about. Still- that conversation was handled poorly. He'll have work on that., Although, I imagine Harvey would like to make one decision without everyone screaming about it. And I don't think Louis would have reacted so poorly if it hadn't been Alex's client. But, yeah, Harvey shouldn't have gone there in front of Donna. He just didn't think before he spoke...at all.

Poor Louis was trying though. I'll give him that. I do like his therapist.

Mike whining that no one at the firm cared about the little guy.....uh, he remembers he's working at a corporate firm that does some pro bono work, right.....not the other way around. I can't say I'm that interested in mike's pro bono cases in general. It's a slower part of the show for me. Maybe because he's working them mostly alone.

Donna got something wrong. Glad to see it. It shouldn't be that easy to become COO. While Rachel was handling the associate poorly, Donna stepping in did Rachel no favors. It went against what Donna had just told Rachel. I liked seeing the girls argue about it- and make up. I'm kinda sad Rachel's new job is over so soon. But focusing on her new job as associate does make sense. And it gives something else for Donna to do- besides argue with Harvey. And I do like how she quietly fired the associate. Well done and point made.

I love how Alex and Mike came together at the end- both wanted to make sure they were never in the same spot again. Well done, guys. Good start between them.

Harvey and Alex banter- super fun to listen to. Very funny.,

Harvey handled the Paula conflict well- and on his own. Who'd have thought we'd see Harvey having a better handle of his personal life?! Impressive. I liked that Paula was uncomfortable being honest with her mentor about them- it's human and not terribly surprising. Them dating is a big deal, though not a violation. But I really liked the end- she's scared of them not working- and even more so because he was a client, I think. Stakes are higher. Very very human of her. Speaking of being vulnerable, Harvey admitting he's scared too and maybe they could just be scared together was really sweet. I like seeing that side of him.

Still super curious to see Donna's reaction- not to mention how it comes out at all. I do think it's good that no one knows yet. Donna finding out about Harvey/Paula doesn't mean much imo unless they've had a chance to actually become something first. She might find out next week for all I know, but I think drawing it out a bit is/has been a good thing for the chartacters and the story.

I hope we see Harvey, Donna and Louis show they can all pull together soon. I get Louis is struggling emotionally and Harvey is struggling into the role the way anyone would- but let's see them prove they can make this work. I do think their rock bottom was S5 though. It's hard to imagine a bigger breakdown relationship-wise.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

A good episode tonight, featuring all characters adjusting, with some difficulty, to the firm's new paradigm.

Most disturbing was the episode's final scene, featuring Louis in what clearly appears to be a serious mental breakdown. Louis has had meltdowns before but this one was different, something to be taken more seriously than previous tantrums or emotional outbursts. Harvey had made light of Louis's jealousy earlier in the episode (with Alex), comparing him to Frank Burns of M*A*S*H (which is not an unfair or completely untrue comparison) but anyone who watched M*A*S*H remembers what happened to Frank Burns. I don't want that for Louis.

It's too early to gauge what Alex's position at the firm might mean for Mike. Though they reached an understanding at the end of tonight's episode, and did so in a mature way, I suspect they'll butt heads again. I'm most interested in how Alex, in his position as senior partner and Harvey's friend, will affect Harvey and Mike's relationship, professionally and personally. I sense something akin to a triangle in the works, if only because we still don't know much about him. He jumped ship from Bratton Gould pretty quickly. In the meantime though, I enjoyed the banter between Alex and Harvey.

Harvey'e finding his new role as managing partner very challenging, and I'm not sure he's comfortable with it yet. He's still trying to figure out what is expected of him, and I'm starting to think his uncertainty is somehow manifesting itself in his relationship with Paula. It's almost as if his professional rise is seeking a personal rise to match. Paula has become Harvey's trophy girlfriend in a sense, although I don't think he's doing it intentionally. He just wants a new relationship to go with the new position of authority. Paula's fears are not unfounded but, having said that, it's nice to see Harvey be honest with her about his own fears.

Quote:
Mike whining that no one at the firm cared about the little guy.....uh, he remembers he's working at a corporate firm that does some pro bono work, right.....not the other way around. I can't say I'm that interested in mike's pro bono cases in general. It's a slower part of the show for me. Maybe because he's working them mostly alone.
For me too. What I think Mike meant was, since he couldn't keep his client, Oliver was the only one he knew who cared enough, but, yeah. I had expected more scenes at the clinic this season, or Oliver or Marissa coming to the firm. Mike working alone is not as interesting as watching a relational dynamic with his co-workers might have been...not that I'm enamored of Oliver right now. He's become little more than a self-righteous brat.

It's a little bewildering to watch Donna mess up, but that's what we saw. She did, however, redeem herself by recognizing and admitting she'd overstepped.. And Rachel, to her credit, recognized she wasn't ready to take over the associates. Lovely make-up scene between them.

ON a lighter note, Rick and Gabriel--er, Louis and Harvey--finally went mudding together!. Okay, it was only in Louis's dream, but having heard Rick describe the difficulty of shooting the mud scenes, it almost seems a ritual that each of the cast get their time in the mud. Only Rachel (and Jessica) remain. Actually, Rachel has gone mudding with Louis off-screen, but that doesn't count.

Last edited by DiamondGirl5; 07-27-2017 at 06:04 AM
Old 07-27-2017, 05:54 AM
New Fan

I'm really not worried about Louis long-term. I don't think this is that dark of a show- though I know nothing about MASH.

One other thing about Donna and Louis- I think they both need to learn when to express their opinions to him. Pick their battles. They don't need to complain every time they disagree. This wasn't an issue that affected the firm as a whole- it was really between Harvey, Alex and Mike. Louis is afraid of loosing Harvey as a friend- so he snapped. Donna wants to officially get to voice her opinion. But- pick your battles. And Harvey can handle their dissension better. He's not completely comfortable in the role yet, and it would be surprising if he was.

I do think Harvey's desire for a relationship is partially due to him making managing partner. He said as much to her in the premiere. I'm not sure trophy is the word I'd use though. He hadn't run around announcing he's seeing anyone- which would be OOC for him anyway. I think he's at a point where he wants some stability, a real relationship. And he's ready and willing to put forth real effort without being prodded to do so. He's handled a number of personal issues lately, hit the top of his profession. This seems next. And Paula was good for him.

It's nice seeing Harvey him some success in managing his personal life without Donna telling him what to do. He needs it as a person. And if Darvey are to ever have a shot at a relationship, he'll have to be able to. Being honest, vulnerable and really trying to make it work are good starts.

I could see Alex and Mike disagreeing again. Or Alex causing issues in Harvey's friendship with Mike.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I'm really not worried about Louis long-term. I don't think this is that dark of a show- though I know nothing about MASH.
Suits has gone to a few dark places in recent years, but I hope you're right.

M*A*S*H is (was) based on the movie of the same title, a dark comedy set during the Korean conflict that dealt with very serious issues relating to war, peace, politics, and the day-to-day life of military personel. The drama/comedy was groundbreaking in the early '70s for how it used both humor and drama to tell its stories and make a statement about living during a time of war. Of the three surgeons (M*A*S*H is an acronym for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital), Frank Burns was sort of the third man out in the same way Louis perceives himself to be with Harvey and Alex (in the past, Louis has also been jealous of Harvey's relationship with Mike). Of course, there were other factors that contributed to the breakdown of Frank Burns (such as his jealousy over his former lover's marriage), just as there are other factors contributing to Louis's issues, but Franks Burn's final breakdown was written as straight comedy to quickly write the character off the show. I don't think Suits writers would make light of Louis's mental and emotional health in that way.

Quote:
I'm not sure trophy is the word I'd use though.
You're right, "trophy" isn't the right word. What I meant was, I think Harvey thinks he needs a new relationship to go with his new position. And I absolutely agree that Harvey needs to be able to recognize and voice his own feelings without Donna telling him what those feelings are or how to handle those feelings. If his relationship with Paula gives him room to do that, she is indeed good for him, short term or long term.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Moderator Support Team

Louis needs a better therapist cuz he is on his way to having a full on meltdown and possible heart attack with the way he is going now. way to much stress/anxiety going on in his life

im liking Alex, but i hope he doesnt take away anymore of Mike's cases like that.

im glad Donna is taking over the associates but she went about it the wrong way. Rachel is not able to fire anyone so she isnt able to be in charge of the associates.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Louis' mudmare

On a totally shallow note, I can’t believe we can see Louis’ torso perfectly but not Harvey’s life is so unfair

Harvey saying Louis totally has a crush on him

I didn’t realize Dr. Lipschitz accent is German auf wiedersehen

Alex and Harvey fighting about Mike, I want more of that

I heart Rachel/Donna friendship so much

Louis totally stole the episode for me my heart broke for him in the last scene, Rick's performance is

Bonus point: casual Harvey, enough said
Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Louis needs a better therapist cuz he is on his way to having a full on meltdown and possible heart attack with the way he is going now. way to much stress/anxiety going on in his life
When I watched a second time, I noticed that Louis referred to his therapist as "Harvey", which changed the context of the scene. Instead of unloading on Harvey, Louis was using his therapist as a sort of stand-in. That's a baby step in the right direction.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Moderator Support Team

did he , i didnt notice that. but that is a good thing he is doing that if that is true.