Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Master Fan

Wonderfalls

WONDERFALLS is a funny, provocative and magical one-hour dramedy about Jaye Tyler, set against the backdrop of Niagara Falls. Jaye is an underachieving twenty-something souvenir shop worker whose life is forever changed after she has what her family calls "an episode." That's when inanimate objects - toys, cartoon images, anything in the form of an animal - begin talking to her, providing her with cryptic messages that invariably lead her into the lives of others in need. Jaye meddles in, muddles up, and ultimately betters the lives of herself, her eccentric family of overachievers, and the eclectic variety of strangers that cross her path. Jaye discovers that the world around her really is a magical place...even if she fears that listening to inanimate objects means she is slowly losing her grip on sanity.

---

Wonderfalls
Set against the backdrop of Niagara Falls, WONDERFALLS is a funny, provocative and magical one-hour dramedy about JAYE TYLER (CAROLINE DHAVERNAS), an underachieving twenty-something souvenir shop worker whose life is forever changed after she has what her family calls “an episode.” That’s when inanimate animal figures – toys, cartoon images, anything in the form of an animal – begin talking to her, and their cryptic messages set into motion a chain of events that invariably lead her into the lives of others in need. Described by its creators BRYAN FULLER (“Star Trek: Voyager”) and TODD HOLLAND (“Malcolm in the Middle”), with tongues firmly in cheek, as “Touched by a Crazy Person,” the series focuses on Jaye as she meddles in, muddles up, and ultimately betters the lives of herself, her eccentric family of overachievers, and the eclectic variety of strangers that cross her path. Over the course of this series Jaye will discover that the world around her really is a magical place, and that the seemingly random events in her life are actually all part of something much greater. WONDERFALLS is from 20th Century Fox Television and Regency Television.

Production Companies: 20th Century Fox Television and Regency Television
Executive Producers/Writers: Bryan Fuller, Todd Holland
Director: Todd Holland
Cast: Caroline Dhavernas as Jaye, Katie Finneran as Sharon, Tyron Leitso as Eric, William Sadler as Darrin, Diana Scarwid as Karen, Adam Scott as Aaron

---

Those hoping Fox’s “Tru Calling” (starring gamine “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” vet Eliza Dushku) will help fill the void left by the absence of fresh “Buffy” episodes this season are barking up the wrong tree. “Tru” is an unfocused mess, listless, derivative, poorly presented and teeming with legions of cardboard characters many will find impossible to embrace.

The Fox show to which “Buffy” fans should be looking forward is “Wonderfalls,” a hugely entertaining comedy-drama-fantasy which benefits immeasurably from affecting, genuinely engaging characters and some of the smartest, most pointed comic dialogue you’re likely to hear next year. Yes, next year – for, sadly, the netlet won’t be unleashing this gem till midseason.
Who is “Valerina”? She’s the one who’s seen most of the new network pilots, including this season’s new show to beat.
Hey Herc,

Literally just finished watching the pilot of Wonderfalls and wanted to let you know how it was. Having subjected myself to most of the pilots for the upcoming season I say without hesitation that Wonderfalls is the best new show. After lamenting Team Angel's loss of Tim Minear all summer I now understand it was all for the best. [Minear left “Angel” to join “Wonderfalls.” – Herc]

This gets just a little spoilery. Fans of Buffy, Angel, Gilmore Girls, and the quirkier eps of The X-Files will love Wonderfalls. The dialogue is quick, snappy, snarky, and smart. One of the best features of the pilot is that it does not feel dumbed down for the audience. The actors are, for the most part, unknown which really helps in creating these new characters. The characters are really well-written and after only a few scenes you already feel as if you understand Jaye's (the main character) family--her upper-class parents embarrassed by her, her older, more popular and more successful sister, and her brother who couldn't care less (such a non-entity that he's only in one scene).

Although the plot (a girl is talked to by inanimate objects) is similar to the dreadful Tru Calling and the even more horrendous Joan of Arcadia, Wonderfalls does it the best. There is none of the forced gravity of Tru Callingat one point Jaye asks a clay lion if it's God or Satan. She doesn't get an answer which I felt really adds to the enjoyment of the show.

Anyway, I didn't want to give too much away, but I wanted to assure anyone who's wondered that this show will be worth watching, whenever the hell Fox decides to get it on the air. Perhaps they thought that Tru Calling, with a more marketable star in Eliza Dushku, was a better risk to put on air, but it has nothing on the quality and pure entertainment that Wonderfalls provides. Where else can you get a 24-year old ivy league graduate living in a trailer park and working in retail, her doctor father concerned with how long it's been since she's last had an orgasm, lesbians, a newlywed wife going down on the hotel bellboy, talking stuffed animals, and an emergency tracheotomy done with a medium point BIC pen? Yeah, exactly.

Feel free to use this or not...if you do, just call me Valerina.

---

[ 10-07-2003: Message edited * Cordelia * ]

darylღbeth
Old 10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Addicted Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I will watch only to see William Sadler
Old 10-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh yeah! I remember reading something about this show a while back. It definitely sounds interesting. And Tyron Leitso and William Sadler are in there, so that adds more of an interest factor for me to watch it.

Andia
Old 10-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

If I've got my facts straight, Tim Minear of "Angel" fame (who also wrote the best episodes, both credited and uncredited, of the fourth season of "Lois & Clark"), will be writing many "Wonderfalls" episodes. He's talented at writing for sci-fi/fantasy/drama/romance/comedy hybrid series.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:55 PM
Passionate Fan

I just watched about half an hour into the pilot, and I think this show is awesome! I can't wait until it premieres in January 2004. It's hilarious. It's a lot like Joan of Arcadia, except funny. And the little inanimate animals that talk to Jaye are really cute. The comedy in here is really quirky and it's really well put together. Definitely a show worth watching.

Andia
Old 10-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Addicted Fan

During pilot season, this was the show I was most looking forward to watching, and I was very disappointed when it was made a mid-season replacement, and not a regular fall season show. I'm very much looking forward to watching it and am hoping that starting midseason won't hurt the shows chances.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Passionate Fan

There are screencaps up for the show at LoveTyron.com for anyone interested. The caps are only of Tyron Leitso's character.

Andia
Old 11-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Obsessed Fan

Id like to announce that I have recieved word from Tim Minear himself that as of now he is not sure when FOX is planning to air the show. He did say that they still are very interested in it and have ordered more scripts. Seems like they are kind of stuck in limbo as to when it will air. Ill let you know if I hear more.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gleebo:
<STRONG>Id like to announce that I have recieved word from Tim Minear himself that as of now he is not sure when FOX is planning to air the show. He did say that they still are very interested in it and have ordered more scripts. Seems like they are kind of stuck in limbo as to when it will air. Ill let you know if I hear more.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] This sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing this show's premiere. Good thing FOX is still interested though... it's just that the indefinite wait worries me. What's the hold up?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Maybe FOX should promote the hell out of it during American Idol and premiere it late summer like they did with the OC. May have a better chance when other shows are on reruns, but then again Keen Eddie wasn't able to succeed in that fashion.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:05 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gleebo:
<STRONG>Maybe FOX should promote the hell out of it during American Idol and premiere it late summer like they did with the OC. May have a better chance when other shows are on reruns, but then again Keen Eddie wasn't able to succeed in that fashion.</STRONG>
Hm... that sounds like a wise tactic to follow. But yeah, like you said, it might not actually work, since it's not clear how the audience will like the pilot. And then, there's the impatient part of me who just wants this show to premiere already. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm excited about this show as well. Caroline Dhavernas is an amazing actress and the plot sounds quirky and cute.

So, we don't have any date for the premiere yet?

Si nous n'étions pas d'ici
Nous serions l'infini
Old 12-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Passionate Fan

I talked to Bill Sadler the other day, and he said the show would premiere early January. So let's all watch those TV Guides!

Ms. Carolyn

Proud to be a card-carrying member of the ACLU.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

Let's all cross our fingers for a decent timeslot in January. I have been waiting for this show forever. I love Tim Minear and everything he touches is golden. This will not be any different. I hope FOX gives it the shot it deserves.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Passionate Fan

Sounds similar to Joan of Arcadia but sounds more entertaining as I just imagine a teddy bear giving Jaye instructions. But, I really can't add anymore tv shows to my schedule but I'll check it out just for William Sadler.

Oh and the lady, Valerina or whatever, insulting JoA, so wrong. *smacks her* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited Terpsichore ]
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top