Old 08-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks Melis!
sunniestar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

You're welcome. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I hope that I'll like him as much as Simon's character. He looks a bit older than Simon.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, he does.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

It looks like Simon is out, since the WB website took him off of the cast list on the front page. I hope that they'll let him come back for a guest appearance in the future though.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

That's too bad. I'll miss Simon/Jeff. I wouldn't be as upset if they gave him a better exit storyline. In fact, they didn't really give him one. They broke up, and he got a job at a new restaurant. I guess we're supposed to believe he just disappeared. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

I know. I really liked those two together [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Here's the reason for his exit:

Tvguide.com

SIMON HEXED: MTV veteran Simon Rex won't be back as Jennie Garth's boyfriend on the WB's What I Like About You. Executive producer Wil Calhoun tells this week's TV Guide magazine that he wants Garth's character to explore life as a single gal. "We want to see her dating." Paging Luke Perry...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Supreme Fan

Darn that is too bad because I liked Jeff & Valerie together too. Why is it that some shows think that women can't grow while they are dating someone!?

[ 08-05-2003: Message edited 2Nickels ]
Old 08-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Ugh. That doesn't make sense at all. Val was very hurt when Jeff didn't want to get married, and now she wants to be single? That's not very consistent.

Anywho, I hope they let Simon come back after she's been single for a while. By then he could be onto other projects, though.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm not too wild about the show's new intro. It screams desperate when anything is pumped up: the new hip-hop rendition of the theme song, the flashy clothes, the images whirrling by faster than the speed of light.... It's too much. Way too much.

I'm also not liking how some of these characters are not being introduced. Who's this "really good guy friend" that made Henry jealous? Have we seen him before? Was he even mentioned once last season?
Not that I recall. And what the hell are Holly's friends who do not work at Val's office doing in the break room just "hanging out?"

The show's still funny, but these new additions are hard to look past. They just seem to be trying too hard.
Cail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

Before the second FF crash, I posted my thoughts on "Boys Club" -- the second new episode this season -- And I for one tore the show apart because I, like you, think they are trying to hard to be the next "Friends" to attract Friends fans to compete with Friends' last year.

Holly (Amanda Bynes) is now way to old for how old her character is supposed to be and was last season. She is written more like a 21 year old now more than a 16 year old with all the smart and witty onliners they're giving her that are supposed to be funny, but that come off as crass and just plain sarcastic, but in an annoying way instead of a genuinely funny way.

Valerie (Jennie Garth) is now a women's-lib, ultra-driven career woman ala Murphy Brown... But not in an appealing way that makes you root for her. Her character was always driven, but now it is just "Val-to-the-extreme" which is a very fine line to have this character walk as she can be overly critical and annoying if not handled right and unfortunately, they are leaning more towards the latter with each new episode.

Also, they drastically contradicted her character with this whole independent woman thing to where she is now happy she is single considering that she wanted Jeff to ask her to Marry him more than anything else last season... Which is what made her character human and appealing and not just this workaholic feminist machine they've got going this season.

The storylines themselves are just way too more mature than last season and why there is nothing wrong with that... The problem with that is the writers also forgot to find the humor in a lot of these more adult stories though.

As an example, that whole storyline in "Boys Club" where Henry was upset Holly wasn't there with him for his oral surgery. The part that got me was that Holly wasn't at all apologetic OR even sympathy worthy -- because of all her sarcastic remarks and "older" persona -- yet they were trying so desperately to make Henry out to be the bad guy and us to feel sorry for Holly. Please...

Don't get me wrong. I think the show should move forward and evolve as should the characters, but what is happening now with Val and her own agency is stuff that you do three or four seasons down the line to where we've got to know more about everyone in a consistent, logical manner to when something as drastic as Val starting her own company you can see where it came from and be rooting for her (and Holly), but as of right now, this show is very cold and almost unfunny at times because of the more serious things they are tackling.

Just my two cents...
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Jennie and Amanda were on the Sharon Osbourne show today. They had a really good interview! I think it airs again tonight at 12am on the wgn channel.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sunniestar23:
<STRONG>Jennie and Amanda were on the Sharon Osbourne show today. They had a really good interview! I think it airs again tonight at 12am on the wgn channel.</STRONG>
Thanks for the info.

SO airs at midnight in my area so I'll have to check it out.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Your welcome!
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top