Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's such an iconic line, such love behind it without explicitly using that word.
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by topherkraz78 (View Post)
Whoa! MUST read! 'West Wing' Uncensored: Aaron Sorkin, Rob Lowe, More Look Back on Early Fears, Long Hours, Contract Battles and the Real Reason for Those Departures - Hollywood Reporter

Wow! This is messed up!
(from article)
SCHIFF: Aaron wrote me a very lovely email saying that Toby is one of his favorite characters he's ever written, and he talked about our relationship building that character. He said, "I've heard what's happening to your character [Toby was fired and faced years in prison during season seven but ultimately was pardoned] and I'm so sorry." And that's how I felt: very sorry that they had chose to do what they did. They didn't tell me in advance like Aaron and Tommy would have. Clearly they didn't want to tell me because they were scared of my reaction to it. I would have talked them out of it because it was not in line with the six years of work that I built with that character. I was very, very hurt by it.
It was bad. But I feel like he's giving some revisionist history. Maybe they didn't tell him to his face and that shouldn't have happened.

But at the time, he wanted off the show. Going into Season 7 (ratings had taken a hit), the show was moved to Sundays. All the cast was asked to take paycuts , or at least episode count hits. Which is why Donna wasn't seen for some episodes. I think she might have been doing another project at the same time over the summer, so it might have been dual way to show Donna off before joining the Santos campaign in the final stretch...

But Richard didn't like the show after Aaron left. And wanted to leave. And only agreed to do a certain number of episodes in the final season. I think maybe 8 or 9. Although I think his final count was a little higher by the end with a special episode needed to be written for Leo's funeral.).

So they were focusing on the other campaign, but how were they going to write out Toby after he's basically telling everyone that Josh was a traitor for leaving early. And going by how they ended Season 6. I don't think they intended for Toby to be the leak. The implication was directly on CJ or blaming Toby's brother...

But with his demands for less episodes. They had to do something. And to me, I think a crash a burn was what Toby was headed for, right or wrong. He always felt like he was more moral than Jeb, from the beginning. And they had some clashes... So the idea he thinks he can help the astronauts, he's thinking of the cause. And not the White House.

So to go out in a blaze of glory (in his mind) even if he risked jail...was just what he was angling for...

I don't know how they handled it behind the scenes, and there may be more than we think. I personally enjoyed the full series. Even the post Sorkin year. Season 5 took some adjustment...

But Donna was able to progress in her career. I maybe wouldn't have put it to such a degree with her separation from Josh. But they were better for it in the end...But it plays like it had to happen after Gaza. Because Josh was a awakening to his feelings but then had to go back to being her boss. Boss, employee relationship would not have worked in that environment unless something was done...

I loved the show so much. I am doing yet another rewatch... to cleanse my mind before a Trump Administration takes hold...even if I don't live in the US and only watch from afar...

I so wish for another White House drama that has what the West Wing brought...

Just my opinion!
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Jasper1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

One of my favorite series, ever.

Thanks for the thread.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

Welcome to the thread Christine.
Who are some of your favorite characters from the show?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Master Fan

Last edited by LightYears; 05-14-2017 at 04:00 PM
LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I miss The West Wing. In this chaos filled political world. It was a presidency that made you care about it.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Master Fan

LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I wonder if it will ever happen one day.
stlavin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Elite Fan

^The head of NBC said this and The Office are the most likely of their shows to get a reboot.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's interesting then.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:27 PM
New Fan

The West Wing

Hi! I just started getting into The West Wing (super late, I know), and I’m looking for people to talk to about it.

Anyone interested can reply!
gesticulating_wildly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hi! Welcome to the thread. You've got a great username. I'm guessing Josh is one of your favorite characters.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesticulating_wildly (View Post)
Hi! I just started getting into The West Wing (super late, I know), and I’m looking for people to talk to about it.

Anyone interested can reply!
Have you watched the whole show? I'm on late season 2 my self.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I am doing my umpteenth viewing of my West Wing DVDs, and in late stages of Season 1. Such a marvelous show. I miss it. Josh was my favorite. Toby could get on my nerves at times. CJ was fabulous as the press secretary.

It's amazing show!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It really is, enjoy your rewatch.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top