Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Addicted Fan

Turks #1

With the Sleuth Channel currently reairing the 1999 Police Drama "Turks" it's time for a thread. If you haven't checked it out ... your loss, because this Police Drama once brought you everybody dear to your heart now.

Starring & Guest starring many of our now TV favorites:

Michael Muhney (Veronica Mars), Paul Adelstein (Prison Break), Kate Walsh (Grey's Anatomy), Leonard Robers (Buffy), Matthew John Armstrong & Ashley Crow (Heroes), William Devane (What about Brian, 24), David Cubitt (Medium) and many more.

IMBD

So far we are two people following the trials and tribulation of the Turk's ... jump on in and join us

Stef

Last edited by chaotic4life; 03-14-2007 at 07:26 AM
chaotic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Master Fan

Sorry I'm so late responding. I was so beat this morning I just practically hit the bed.

As for Turks, wow, I thought I was good at recognizing Paul and Matt and Leonard but you know it didn't hit me with Kate and now Ashley who plays Ginny is Sandra Bennet and that didn't hit me either! So many people. And of course our dear Michael Great start on the thread.

Not sure where you at with the eps yet but just wanted to start off saying I love that it's set in Chicago and uses so many based Chicago actors as well. It adds to the show that touch of realism.

As for the Turks themselves, I like that this is a cop drama that pretty much unfolds in the tightknit family setting. That definitely sets it apart from most procedurals.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Addicted Fan

/OT Don't worry, I was busy at work all day as well

As for the cast, I took some time to check their IMBD profile today and a lot of the people only registered after I figured out where I knew them from.
I am up to episode 2 and will watch 3 here momentarily For obvious reasons I love the show ... have I thanked you enough yet? ... but overall it seems to develop into a really interesting storyline. In the beginning it seems awefully slow in the development, which I mostly blame on Daddy Turk. His whole character is just so calm and constantly on top of things that it inevitably slows down the whole environment. It gives a great backdrop for the subtle differences (or in Pauley's case not quite so subtle ) of the brothers.

Right now I feel like smacking Paul around though. I find him unappreciative and plain stupid. For being such a smart person he truly is making some idiotic choices. I can't wait to see how this whole thing pans out.

OT/ Don't worry about spoilers ... I'll be trying to catch up on the 7 eps I have asap. I am on vacation the next 2 weeks as well, so not sure about Inet access.

Stef
Old 03-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Master Fan

What I find interesting too is that all 3 cops have their own unique style. Although it seems like Mike is trying too hard at this point in trying to move up the ladder. Although he probably feels like all eyes are on him in expectations regarding his father.

Of course like you said, Daddy Turk seems on top of things now But don't worry things get shaken up where that's concerned. On the job and personally. Which I'm sure you can tell Joe and Mary's relationship is...pretty strained at this point. Probably an understatement. But that starts to develop. As for Joey, I thought at first, oh no, they're playing the race card with him and his partner but it didn't go that way at all which I was thankful for. And Paul, yes, soo much going for him with the scholarship, etc and is screwing everything up with his gambling addiction. Black sheep at this point for sure. But every family family has one....
I'll just say at this point it does get more interesting where that's concerned. And there are a couple of funny scenes with Michael coming up. As well as a couple of hot ones -just to wet your appetite

Last edited by JulieB; 03-15-2007 at 12:25 PM
Old 03-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree on Mike being a little too eager to get his career up and running. Worse it feels more like he needs to do that to impress his father than do it for himself, which usually backfires.

I figured that stuff with Joe and Mary will start to shake ... I am not too happy with the development at the moment, although from what I know so far I can understand them both - they seemed very emotionally seperated and distant. Mary's conversation with Mike's wife (sorry, not up to speed with the names yet) was very sad and scary in a way, like she has given up all hope. Somehow I can relate though ... having 3 Men in the family being street cops would probably wear everybody down with worry.

Quote:
And there are a couple of funny scenes with Michael coming up. As well as a couple of hot ones
Loving this show already

Just PLEASE warn me ahead of time, if Paul gets shot and dies. I can't take that again anytime soon.
Which reminds me ... his girlfriend in the Pilot looks really familiar as well.

Stef
Old 03-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Just PLEASE warn me ahead of time, if Paul gets shot and dies. I can't take that again anytime soon.
Ha! Will do.

As for Mary. Yeah, I feel for her. Imagine the worry you would have with just the hubby being a cop let alone two of your children. And the distance between her and Turk..sad after so many years of marriage. But believable I'm sure to many people.

As for Paul's girlfriend, well you said you dont mind spoilers right? Is it ok for me to talk about future plotlines with him? Or would you rather wait and see those for yourself?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Got it added to the thread guide.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks Wildfire Girl!

Well, I can't decide with the Spoilers, but I think I don't mind, especially since you are so far ahead. I know how hard it is to have a conversation that way. I'll have to try and catch up quickly

I am just glad you tell me there is more storyline developing for him. Can't believe there was a show once, that actually used him instead of ...

You mentioned the setting of Chicago earlier. I love that on the show. It uses the city as a seperate character that gives the show a very real feel. Not to mention that it reminds me, that Chicago has been on my list for travel for years. I need to call my friend there ... I should squeez that visit in sometime this year.

BTW ... I'll be in your neck of the woods later in the year for a wedding, we should meet for coffee

Stef
Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Wildfire Girl

Stef, I don't mind waiting and no need to rush to catch up. I still haven't even seen the last few eps that have aired. (too much on my dvr lol)

As for Chicago, it's on my list as well. It's actually my husband's hometown and he keeps saying we'll go one of these years....um, yeah.

And meeting up for coffee sounds like a plan, I'm all for it

Back to the show, I noticed on the IMDB page that it was nominated (artios award) for best casting and I'm not suprised. It's a pretty impressive ensemble and I like I said, I love that alot of Chicago based actors (like Paul A) were used.

It's neat that the actors are crossing paths in the present. Ashley, Matt and Leonard on Heroes. And now Paul and Kate will be in the spinoff from GA.

It should be Michael's turn next, I have faith.

Last edited by JulieB; 03-15-2007 at 11:36 AM
Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
It should be Michael's turn next
You are preaching to the choir I wonder what takes everybody so long

I didn't know that Paul will be in the GA Spinoff as well?!? But then I haven't heard much about it aside from Chris taking part.

A for the casting, it is an impressive ensemble, but now ... not sure how that was 8 years back. But they do play well off each other.
Have you seen the ep with Elisabeth Rohm yet?

I'll be taking the eps on vacation ... that way I have something to watch when my mom goes to sleep

Stef
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Master Fan

Well about the casting, I'm not really talking about how recognizable they are now just that using a cast mostly from Chicago really adds alot to it. But looking back in retrospect of course does make it seem much more impressive, I agree.

I saw on twop someone mention that Paul was cast in the spin off. And I haven't seen the ER ep yet but I just saw that Michael listed her. I'm waiting for the weekend to fully catch up. I loved meeting her at Blowout, she was such a lovely person.

Last edited by JulieB; 03-15-2007 at 12:51 PM
Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Okay, I just wanted to watch Ep#3 ... I think I am half way through #5 now. I have to admit though, that I have selective watching attitude.

How much do I want a picture of Michael in that Pizza Delivery uniform?
I still don't like Paul much though ... although he starts to grow on me. Michael def. let's his charm fly left and right. It's sure to say that I would have been all over him back then as well ... which makes me kind of glad. At least I know now it wasn't a fluke.

It confuses me to no end that the main casts RL first names are repeated in their characters name, but don't match the people
There's Paul and Mike, Mikey playing Paul ... I constantly get everybody mixed up.

As to storylines:
The whole Ginny affair really bugs me (it also totally reminds me of Jericho - even Ginny looks like the barkeeper in Jericho). I hate stories were long standing couples start cheating. Why does anybody cheat after 30+ years of marriage? But then I am not married, so what do I know.

Mikes try to take in the boy is heartbreaking. I think he's really trying to make a difference and it's a wonderful motive, but I can't believe he is going up against his wife and overruling her on such an important decision. That can not lead to anything good. Of course it's a great chance for the boy, but very difficult for his son.

... I need to pay more attention... lol ...

I still can't believe there was a show with so much Michael screentime

EDT: Who gives a person with a gambling problem a job on the stockmarket ... oh dear ... oh dear ...
I am really starting to like this show ... of course they cancelled it mid season.

Stef

Last edited by chaotic4life; 03-16-2007 at 05:11 AM
Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Master Fan

Actually I think it was a midseason replacement. -according to the airdates. So it's chances were slimmish to begin with. Which is a shame. Although I know some have had success (Buffy, GA, etc) so many others don't.

Ah, you've gotten to the stockmarket. Kind of convenient for him to get that job, huh? Something tells me he's headed for even more trouble.

As for Ginny, yeah, not feeling that storyline at all. But since they played that card so early in the series I'm thinking it was just a way to stir up Joe and Mary even further.

And I'm in total agreeance about Mike and the kid. While I find it commendable on his part, no way should he do that at the expense of his wife and son's feelings.

Michael delivering the pizza, I totally thought you might want to cap that in some way lol. How about those thugs trying to mug him? That was my first laugh out moment of the series. And you had to know coming from that family boy would be tough lol.

Last edited by JulieB; 03-16-2007 at 06:47 AM
Old 04-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Addicted Fan

Hi Julie, I am back from vacation - so I'll be back here soon
Just wanted to give you a heads up, Mala wrote a Veronica/Paulie crossover fic and it's full of awesome!

Title: "don't chase ghosts, don't get too close"
Author: monimala
Fandom: Veronica Mars/Turks
Character/Pairing: Veronica/Paul
Rating: R
Word Count: 1900
Disclaimer: I'm not Rob Thomas and I have no idea who created the characters on Turks.
Summary: Lamb has a doppelganger walking the earth who wears $200 shirts and, of all things, Drakkar Noir.
Spoilers/Warnings: Through 3.14, "Mars, Bars," and the entire season of the short-lived series "Turks." Adult situations, some language, etc.

Stef
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Master Fan

Stef, I'm behind on my Turks although I have them all recorded now and will dive into/record them soon. Spring cleaning (although now the weather sucks!) and working has me behind on most of my stuff on the dvr.

I hope you had a good time! And you brought fic! I read some of Mala's Lamb/V stuff so I'm sure I'll love it
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top