http://www.fanforum.com/f40/suits-us...oals-63207130/

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread
Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 PM
New Fan

I thought this episode wasn’t as strong as previous ones.

No Katrina. It really feels like they don’t know how to fully integrate her with everyone else.

Sometimes, they play the Donna knows all and is always right card too hard and too often. This episode was one of those times imo. It’s absurd that she’d know exactly what Alex would need and want because she’s Donna. Regardless of the rationale, she should have just told Harvey about the deal- even though I know I’m supposed to agree she was right about that too. Of course, she fixed things with Zane and Alex. And so on. Over and over again- for the whole hour. It’s just a bit much. I found her a tad grating. I did like that they remembered Harvey isn’t good at knowing what to get people....so Donna (still) buys for herself. I’m not sure what I think of Sam/Donna. The relationship seems a little forced.

The Harvey/Donna argument wasn’t that interesting to me because Harvey in the end was going to help Donna keep her word and work with David Fox. Not for one second did I think otherwise. What I did like was Fox is human after all in a way Harvey can relate to. That was interesting. I loved Harvey explaining what he’d do as David’s lawyer vs as a man. Nicely done.

Do Louis and Sheila EVER talk about anything important before diving in? Ever? They got engaged the first time before talking about kids at all. Now this. Good grief. Religion is very important. At least they’ve agreed to talk more in the future. Based on my values, I don’t fully agree with the POV of Lipschitz. Depending on your belief system, the religion of your child is basically a non negotiable point. Because it’s about eternity. It won’t be glossed over in order to put family first. I realize he was trying to respond to the fact they thought Sheila was already pregnant and the situation was what it was. But still. It grated. The writers kinda copped out on the issue since Sheila herself isn’t really religious and for Louis it seems to be more identity driven than the practice of religious faith. Makes it somewhat easier imo to work through.

At least Esther got Louis to at least present his real POV to Sheila. It was nice to see her again. But....I still don’t like Sheila and Louis. Another episode devoted to them having kids....So over it.

Last edited by Erin9; 08-29-2018 at 08:04 PM
Old 08-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Will watch the episode later, thanks for that though
Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 PM
New Fan

One other thing- I hope I misheard Lipschitz because I thought he said something to the effect that his parents considered renouncing Judaism to avoid nazi camps. It didn’t matter whether you practiced Judaism or not. It only mattered if you were somehow Jewish. You could practice a different religion and if a close relative (say grandparent) was Jewish....you were Jewish. Maybe I misheard what he said.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Moderator Manager

I'll be watching the new ep later too when I get home from work.

Again, seeing your review of no Katrina will probably make me not like this ep.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Same
Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Moderator Manager

Okay ep. 3 SLs going on.

The least I cared for was Louis & Sheila. I'm glad they're not pregnant. UGH. I zoned out of their story so I can't comment so much. Somehow I feel bad for them but they're not ready. They're already quarreling about how to raise the child and Sheila isn't even pregnant yet. I am glad to see Esther again though.

Robert & Alex SL was good. I didn't care much for it.

The Harvey/Donna/Samantha one was my fave but it's the usual formula this show thrives on so yeah. I am however liking Donna & Samantha friendship (?). KH is doing good so far, I really have nothing negative to say tbh. Also is it a preference? I usually notice Samantha likes to wear white.

Onwards to the next episode...

Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm really not looking forward to seeing Louis & Shelia having a child together with the way they are acting right now
Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 AM
Dedicated Fan

For the first time, I actually empathized with Louis and Sheila. Erin makes a valid point that they tend to act before thinking of the consequences or discussing critical decisions, but that is typical of Louis, acting first and asking questions later. That said, Louis has been in love with the idea of having a child for so long that he's failed to consider the actual reality of sharing a child with another person, who brings her own DNA, identity, and emotional baggage. While I am relieved that Sheila isn't pregnant (for now), I really liked that last scene together. Louis, instead of showing his disappointment, showed support and expressed hope, plus he expressly (and rightfully) stated that now they had time to discuss the important questions. Maybe there's hope for them, after all.

I enjoyed seeing Esther again too, especially since she was supportive of both Louis and Sheila--her reaching out to Sheila was unexpected and magnanimous, and it made a difference in Sheila's perspective.

Lipschitz's story about his parents considering renouncing their Judaism isn't unheard of, especially in the early years of Hitler's rise to power and before most Jews understood the depth of Nazi depravity and reach. There are also stories of a very few individuals who were able to successfully hide their Jewish heritage, some even evading detection to fight in the resistance.

I love Donna and Samantha together, and if there must be a dream team to "replace" Harvey and Mike, I vote them. Yes, Donna's omniscience can be over-the-top, but her vulnerability (and fear) about how she's perceived in the workplace (because of her relationship with Harvey) is also evident and, I think, her motivation. She wants to prove she earned her position.

The resolution to the Harvey/David Fox arc was unexpected but very nice. Harvey being able to express the difference between how he felt as a lawyer against how he felt as a human was touching (and reminiscent of a conversation he had with Louis last season about Louis tanking a case for Sheila, noting what he would advise as managing partner was different than what he would advise as a friend).

I was least invested in the Robert/Alex story, but I did enjoy watching Wendell Pierce and Dule Hill work together, in a new location. I noticed several new locations being used in this episode, and Gabriel Macht, who scouted and directed it, made some beautiful shots. This was his third episode directing, and I think his best.

When Katrina was absent for two previous consecutive episodes, I assumed Amanda Schull simply wasn't available and had requested those weeks off, but now I'm starting to wonder if there are other reasons. Early in the show's run, Sarah Rafferty wasn't in a few episodes for budget reasons, but if that was a concern now, why make Amanda Schull a regular? Maybe there is confusion about what to do with Katrina Bennett.

Last edited by DiamondGirl5; 08-31-2018 at 07:08 AM
Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM
New Fan

Thanks for the perspective on Lipschiz’s parents. That makes sense. I honestly found this episode a bit too frustrating to watch once to be willing to re-watch it to really get what he was saying in full.

I think they need to spell out Donna’s vulnerabilities more- regarding how she got her position and any others she might have. It makes her human. All I really see is: Donna is essentially always right. That seems to be the big take away. Anything else tends to get lost in that imo. And they’ve really upped Donna’s omniscience. Now even Zane is getting behavior lessons. At least Jessica tended to not need Donna much. If they’re going to push Donna knowing all so hard and extend it to virtually everyone all the time, they need to balance it out imo. Especially when her all knowingness isn’t played with much comedy.

Another issue imo is- if these characters were allowed to really grow up- Donna would have very little to do. Most of what she does is manage personalities best I can tell. She does a little hiring and seems to come up with pro bono ideas. She handled the rent issue. But her value- and it is important- is her people skills.

Last edited by Erin9; 08-31-2018 at 09:24 AM
Old 08-31-2018, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Fair point about balancing Donna being right all the time
Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl5 (View Post)
I love Donna and Samantha together, and if there must be a dream team to "replace" Harvey and Mike, I vote them. Yes, Donna's omniscience can be over-the-top, but her vulnerability (and fear) about how she's perceived in the workplace (because of her relationship with Harvey) is also evident and, I think, her motivation. She wants to prove she earned her position.
I love their dynamic too. Tbh I was cautious at first but now I'm on-board.

Quote:
When Katrina was absent for two previous consecutive episodes, I assumed Amanda Schull simply wasn't available and had requested those weeks off, but now I'm starting to wonder if there are other reasons. Early in the show's run, Sarah Rafferty wasn't in a few episodes for budget reasons, but if that was a concern now, why make Amanda Schull a regular? Maybe there is confusion about what to do with Katrina Bennett.
And Wendell Pierce seem like a regular to me even though he's listed as guest star? Or is he a series regular?

Old 09-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Wendell is an guest star, not sure whether he can become a main on this show due to him being a series regular on Jack Ryan
Old 09-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Dedicated Fan

For Wendell Pierce, Jack Ryan is contractually his first priority, and Suits must have permission to use him (the same has been true for DB Woodside/Lucifer, Rachael Harris/Lucifer, Amanda Schull/12 Monkeys). I think he could be upgraded to a regular if the Suits and Jack Ryan filming schedules didn't overlap.

Now that Amanda Schull is a regular, her first professional priority is Suits, which is why her absence from three episodes is a little puzzling.

Donna's concern for her reputation first became evident last season when Malik accused her of using her relationship with Harvey to land the COO position. Donna reacted defensively, with anger. She must be aware that if Malik thinks that, others both outside and inside the firm might be thinking the same. (In retrospect, that may also be why she once told Rachel she never would've slept with Harvey had they been working together at the time.) And, in this episode, her reaction to Harvey thoughtlessly blurting out that she was in her position because he'd put her there just underscored those fears.

According to Gina Torres, the spin-off begins filming in three weeks, and there is no official title--Suits:Second City is only a working title.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top