Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Why didn't they like it?
I think expectations for Darvey were too high for that episode--a few had actually talked themselves into thinking they were going to "bang" (their words, not mine) that night and were simply searching for reasons to hate that episode. (Honestly, 716 wasn't a favorite episode for me either, but for different reasons.) Then, in 801, they hated that Harvey's "date" for the after-party was Robert Zane, not Donna. Actually, i thought that was pretty funny,.

Here's a terrific interview with Katherine Heigl from Harpers Bazaar. WARNING: SLIGHTLY SPOILER-ISH but nothing specific.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...n-8-interview/
Old 08-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Can You Spare a Brain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl5 (View Post)
I think expectations for Darvey were too high for that episode--a few had actually talked themselves into thinking they were going to "bang" (their words, not mine) that night and were simply searching for reasons to hate that episode. (Honestly, 716 wasn't a favorite episode for me either, but for different reasons.) Then, in 801, they hated that Harvey's "date" for the after-party was Robert Zane, not Donna. Actually, i thought that was pretty funny,.

Here's a terrific interview with Katherine Heigl from Harpers Bazaar. WARNING: SLIGHTLY SPOILER-ISH but nothing specific.

Fair enough, thanks for the link.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Moderator Manager

That has got to be my FAVORITE episode of this season. Wow wow wow.

Finally this show and the characters (apart from being angry all the damn time) are doing some good in this ep.

I really liked Alex in this ep. Once he found out his client is laundering money, he stood his ground and didn't back off. I was cheering for him. He later goes to Samantha since she knows the client but after trading jibes (the usual), she ends up helping him because they are a team.

Brian & Katrina were also wonderful. I loved that Brian didn't skulk around when Louis told him off and instead offered to help Katrina. And Katrina didn't want him to help because she also cared about not having repeat of what happened to their client & that incident with Louis. I love their friendship! I want more of them.

And I also loved that Harvey cared enough to help that poor woman out even though at the back of his mind, doing so will cause conflict with their landlord. Robert, Louis & Donna were looking out for their firm but Harvey wanted to help and mostly because he misses Mike. So he eventually ends up calling him. We didn't need to see him make the actual call but at least he did end up helping that woman in the end c/o a friend who lives a thousand miles away now. Donna in the end... that's the Donna I love.

"Pack it in. You ain't Banksy."
"Or am I?"

dw | kh
Old 08-05-2018, 01:06 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

Still haven't watched the latest episode yet, will hopefully watch it later tonight though
Old 08-07-2018, 11:16 AM
New Fan

Quote:

I think part of the problem is that they toyed with Darvey all season and did nothing. And this season, it’s so far like nothing ever happened last season. I didn’t have any real expectations left for Darvey by the finale, but I think it was a very poor decision to allow things to play out as they did. It was bound to alienate people.

Anyhow- I liked last week’s episode. I really disliked the Louis/Sam scene. It was uncomfortable to watch- and if gender roles had been reversed, I can only imagine the
response.

Katrina/Brian/Louis was good. Very glad Katrina told Louis everything in the end. The story humanized Katrina. I did wonder why she didn’t text Brian a head’s up, but that’s a minor thing.

Harvey’s story was good. Glad he solved the problem on his own without Mike. He could be MP if he wanted. We’ll see.

I find Sam to be an interesting character, who fits in well, but I can’t say I like her or really root for her at this point. I did like Sam being helpful to Alex, who did a good job handling his client.

Harvey and Robert being straight with each other about the name partner promise was nice to see. I still go with neither one for now, but we’ll see how it goes. Sam- at least- I might enjoy seeing taken down a peg or two.

Last edited by Erin9; 08-07-2018 at 11:23 AM
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Can You Spare a Brain?

The Louis/Sam scene was pretty uncomfortable to watch, but I really enjoyed the episode besides that.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Moderator Manager

I really have no expectation with Darvey this season. I think I'm already at a place where I don't care if they end up together or if they don't, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 (View Post)
Anyhow- I liked last week’s episode. I really disliked the Louis/Sam scene. It was uncomfortable to watch- and if gender roles had been reversed, I can only imagine the
response.
Yeah and I know that it was meant to be funny because Louis is always like this around women but mostly I'm just tired of it.

"Or am I?"

dw | kh
Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

I'm getting to that point too tbh.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 PM
New Fan

I missed Katrina, but I think that was the best episode of the season so far. Easily.

Robert goes from asserting his authority to everyone as managing partner to trying to work with his people as they are and pick his moments. Courtesy of Donna, of course. When Robert said he thought she just pulled this stuff with Harvey, I was thinking- nope it’s everyone. Then- she said just that. Lol

I think that may have been the best Louis/Harvey scene ever. He took Sam seriously that Louis had a problem, and he needed a friend’s help to deal with it. And, then, he really was a friend to Louis. He got the truth out of him. He was kind. Encouraged him to let the people in his life know, that being scared didn’t make him less of a man. And even told Robert everything for him so Louis wouldn’t have to break down in front of his boss. That was so good.

And I actually really liked Sam. She’s been interesting from day 1, but I liked her tonight. She knew something was really wrong with Louis and went to his friend Harvey to help him. And then helped him with self defense. Nicely done.

I liked the Harvey/Alex banter and how Alex got himself out of the mess he was in- impressing both Robert and Harvey in the process. And doing what neither of them wanted too. Partially courtesy of Donna again. Lol

The Harvey/Donna early show banter was particularly fun to watch.

Gretchen is just awesome. She gave Louis great advice- and stayed loyal.

I totally buy Louis not wanting to tell anybody about being mugged. That’s Louis like. Robert telling Louis about his own past was a kind thing to do. And Louis hugging Zane and his response- hilarious.

My only quibbles- we didn’t get to see Harvey talk to Robert. The cursing was really distracting. And- honestly- I thought Sheila and Louis were more professional than to keep Zane and the client waiting for baby making. And- they don’t do anything for me.

Next week looks really interesting.

Last edited by Erin9; 08-08-2018 at 08:07 PM
Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Moderator Manager

I'll be watching the new ep later when I get home from work. I hope it's a good one.

"Or am I?"

dw | kh
Old 08-09-2018, 01:45 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

Great episode, felt pretty bad for Louis and his reaction to not telling anyone was pretty in character for him imo.

It was definitely Sam's best episode too for me and I really enjoyed her helping with Louis with self defense.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 (View Post)
I missed Katrina, but I think that was the best episode of the season so far. Easily.

Robert goes from asserting his authority to everyone as managing partner to trying to work with his people as they are and pick his moments. Courtesy of Donna, of course. When Robert said he thought she just pulled this stuff with Harvey, I was thinking- nope it’s everyone. Then- she said just that. Lol

I think that may have been the best Louis/Harvey scene ever. He took Sam seriously that Louis had a problem, and he needed a friend’s help to deal with it. And, then, he really was a friend to Louis. He got the truth out of him. He was kind. Encouraged him to let the people in his life know, that being scared didn’t make him less of a man. And even told Robert everything for him so Louis wouldn’t have to break down in front of his boss. That was so good.

And I actually really liked Sam. She’s been interesting from day 1, but I liked her tonight. She knew something was really wrong with Louis and went to his friend Harvey to help him. And then helped him with self defense. Nicely done.

I liked the Harvey/Alex banter and how Alex got himself out of the mess he was in- impressing both Robert and Harvey in the process. And doing what neither of them wanted too. Partially courtesy of Donna again. Lol

The Harvey/Donna early show banter was particularly fun to watch.

Gretchen is just awesome. She gave Louis great advice- and stayed loyal.

I totally buy Louis not wanting to tell anybody about being mugged. That’s Louis like. Robert telling Louis about his own past was a kind thing to do. And Louis hugging Zane and his response- hilarious.

My only quibbles- we didn’t get to see Harvey talk to Robert. The cursing was really distracting. And- honestly- I thought Sheila and Louis were more professional than to keep Zane and the client waiting for baby making. And- they don’t do anything for me.

Next week looks really interesting.
Thank for making it easy. ITA with most of this.

I am relieved to see Alex stepping into his own, as neither Harvey's right hand nor Robert's. I wish we could've seen the Robert-Harvey scene too, because they have a separate set of issues that is getting glossed over, but maybe those issues will be addressed at a more pivotal time in the storytelling.

I've been lukewarm to Alex all season because I've seen him as either jumping into situations without due diligence (as he did in s7) or as someone trying to ride up the corporate ladder on someone else's coattails, all minus an ounce of warmth, humor, or charm. This episode alleviated those concerns.

Captain Kirk or Magnum, PI? I've never considered myself a Star Trek fan exactly (I did love The Next Generation and Captain Jean Luc Picard), but even I can admit that Kirk is an icon on a level or two above Magnum. I think we can all appreciate the greatness that is M*A*S*H.

Everyone seemed to be trying to figure out their place in the firm's new dynamics, including Robert. I hadn't given much thought to his relationships with former partners Rand and Kaldor but every workplace embodies its own relationship dynamic and now he's on a learning curve at ZSL. I liked the Donna-Robert scenes, especially the last one. I don't mind Donna being reminded who's in charge, but neither do I want Donna intimidated by Robert Zane.

It might mean nothing, but Louis told Harvey about the mugging before he told Sheila (unless it happened off-screen). Regardless, that scene has been a long time coming. Harvey and Louis are growing up. At this point, Shelia is little more than a tiresome side show. I want Louis to be happy, and he and Sheila have been important to each other for a long time, but, just...no more, please.

This was Louis's episode, start to finish, capped off with arguably Samantha's most important scenes to date. Suits has always been more about relationships than the law, and she's making an effort to form one with Louis. Her ability to recognize that Louis needed a friend and that Harvey should be that friend was surprisingly perceptive and sensitive.

Finally, Darvey may be at a standstill, but Harvey and Donna will always be fun. It surprised me a bit that she proposed doing more pro bono cases, but she's right--it did look good on Harvey last week. (Maybe ZSL becomes a full-service firm in the future and builds an entire department around pro bono cases.) And she was right about Harvey and Robert needing to work their ish out.

Next week looks promising. Suits is always at its best when it goes personal.

Last edited by DiamondGirl5; 08-09-2018 at 08:57 AM
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 AM
New Fan

Gretchen said something about calling Sheila. I don’t recall Louis response. Presumably she found out off screen. I just find it rather bizarre what the writers think is worth seeing of their lives and what they don’t. We didn’t really need to see the millionth scene of them playing sex games. Been there, done that. We also didn’t need to see it to establish Louis being unprofessional and keeping Zane and his long term client waiting for baby making. He called Robert on the street and told him just that. But apparently telling Sheila about a near death experience was not worth the time. (Unless we see some follow up next week.) We literally saw Louis talking to Gretchen, Harvey, Robert, and Sam about it, but not the love of his life. IF we see anything later, it will be after Louis is already dealing with the trauma because that is what this episode was all about. Go figure.

I did like Robert reminding Donna he was in charge too. She assigned a pro bono case that conflicted with a client he was trying to get. It’s an issue. He did have a point. He had a point in general about following directions, but his manner of handling it needed improvement. And he did need to pay attention to the personalities and talents of his people. It needs to be a good working environment, which starts from the top. It was a good back and forth between them.

I was kind of surprised to see Donna jumping into pro bono so strong this week after her feelings last week. Though some is and always been good for Harvey and the firm. And always has been a priority- to a point.

I’m sure we’ll have more Robert/Harvey. It is nice to see them generally making an effort with each other, despite their differences. Harvey did tell him about Alex. Harvey did want to talk to Robert about more than just the Louis issue. And Robert knew he needed to talk to Harvey too. Everyone really. We just saw him with Louis though.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:39 AM
Can You Spare a Brain?

Quote:
Next week looks promising. Suits is always at its best when it goes personal.
Haven't seen the promo yet, but what does the next episode look to be about?
Old 08-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Moderator Manager

Good ep, though the one prior to this was still my fave.

Alex is beginning to grow a backbone this season and I'm really liking him a lot. This was what was lacking from him last season but that's probably because there was a lot of focus on Mike (and to a smaller extent Rachel) last season so Alex shining would take a backseat.

My favorite SL is the one with Louis. I understand him when he didn't tell anyone about getting mugged but he was obviously really affected by it to the point that even Samantha noticed it. I'm glad she went to Harvey and not Robert (regarding Louis' state).

I miss Katrina & Brian in this ep but that's fine. I thought Donna was just around in this ep but that's fine too. I also like seeing Gretchen and I'm fine seeing her on the show from time to time.

I kind of cringe-d at the end part with Robert & Louis. They both seem to have an odd relationship on the show. Or maybe I just feel like Harvey & Robert work better together compared to Robert & Louis.

"Or am I?"

dw | kh
Closed Thread   Post New Thread