Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Return of Jezebel James #1 - Fridays on Fox!

Is anyone else excited to watch this show tonight? I think it looks like a very good show and I love watching shows with sisterly dynamics. Plus, it's from the creator of Gilmore Girls, so you can tell how it will be handled ...

BTW, hope it's okay that I started this. I searched for a thread and couldn't find one.
ღღღ
infallible love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Emma Watson
Nancy Drew

Of course it's okay you started a thread!

I'll get it added to the thread guide!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Susan!

Tonight it's on for an hour but I guess after that it's 30 minutes. Which is kind of a bummer, it doesn't seem long at all.
ღღღ
Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Elite Fan

I had low expectations going in... but, I was pleasantly surprised. I like both actors... especially Ambrose. And the humor and tone of the show is great. I think the second episode was obviously alot stronger... especially the scene with the parents in the apartment. Great stuff! Hope Fox gives it a chance... but, Friday night. Not a good sign. Isn't that Fox's death slot?

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with you. The sisters are so good together. I already knew that Coco would be my favorite. And, you're right, the second episode was better ... but that only makes sense. I'm going to give it another try, I think it can only get better as the story develops. And maybe if it does well, they'll move it? I hope so, anyway!
ღღღ
Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Just watched this show and loved it immediately. Because I'm a huge fan of Gilmore girls and Amy being the creator of both shows, it was like bringing Gilmore girls back for me. There was so much Amy in the script it was fun to predict what was coming out of everyones mouth next. Plus the little clip of the song at the end sounded like Grant-Lee Phillips (the troubador on Gilmore girls) so that was exciting.

I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as me. I looking forward to talking about future episodes with everyone.
basketmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Moderator Support Team

When I first heard about the show I was excited. But, after hearing/seeing some bad reviews I was a bit worried. But, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it alot!

Parker and Lauren are both awesome and I loved their whole dynamic.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really liked it. Thought it was very funny. And the oldest sister is crazy :-)
sanna_o75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
a double dose of FOX's new comedy, "The Return of Jezebel James," which averaged a 2.3/4 for the hour.
I don't know... Is that good or bad, for Friday night?
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched the pilot last night and ep 2 this morning (I'm not in the US) and I was hesitant at first given the bad previews it got.

First the bad - and fan of Gilmore will notice a lot of the same themes and jokes they even used Rose Abdoo (aka Gypsy) in one scene and the laugh track, get a studio audience! Plus showing the eps back to back really highlighted the fact it's a different apartment she lives in.

Now the good - the 2nd was better, still not as good as Gilmore, that's a hard show to top but I'll give it a chance, especially since there are only 7 eps and how knows maybe Fox will give it a 2nd season next Fall?
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad everyone fairly enjoyed it because I did. I'm just waiting for the next episode and the story to develop!
ღღღ
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Passionate Fan

I agree that it won't top Gilmore girls but it was just nice to see that humor again with Amy gone for season 7. Looking forward to a new ep on friday.
basketmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Question: Do you have any scoop on ASP's new show, The Return of Jezebel James? I thought the first episode was kind of weak but the second one was pretty good. Are they really only showing seven episodes? — Stacy
Ausiello: Judging by the ratings for the premiere, I'm not even sure we'll see a third episode, let alone all seven.
Ausiello on Grey's, SVU, Gossip Girl, Buffy and More! - Ask Ausiello | TVGuide.com
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Return of Jezebel James ain't the Gilmore girls

Mar 13, 2008 04:33 AM

Vinay Menon

Dear Amy Sherman-Palladino:

I hope you're sitting down because I have some troubling news.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a DVD from Fox containing two episodes of an alleged new comedy, The Return of Jezebel James.

Here's the troubling part: Fox identifies you as the creator. The network also claims you wrote and directed the pilot, which premieres tomorrow at 8 p.m.

At first, I was like: "Cool! A new show from the creator of the Gilmore Girls! A sitcom starring Parker Posey and Lauren Ambrose! I can't wait for the witty banter, endearing characters, tender relationships and savvy pop-cultural references!"

Then I watched the pilot.

You better alert your agent, manager, publicist and legal team because Fox has clearly hatched a diabolical scheme, one that involves attaching your good name to their very bad show.

Did the scoundrels really think they could get away with this brazen deception? Did they think fans would believe you created a show so stupendously awful it makes Full House seem like Seinfeld?

I don't know who actually wrote this pilot. But the person was surely forced to do so while strapped into a jury-rigged electric chair, one that emitted an excruciating jolt whenever a scene threatened to be funny or logical.

Then there's Parker Posey, or a life form cloned from Parker Posey's DNA. After watching the pilot, I'm convinced this creature was either: a) secretly given amphetamines and forced to do strenuous calisthenics before each scene or, b) blindfolded, spun around a few dozen times and hastily thrown toward her mark so character Sarah Tompkins would always seem looped, out of breath and dizzy.

Though I'm not sure why Posey was advised to whisper occasionally, ambulate exclusively in tiny stutter-steps or deliver her lines as if she doesn't actually comprehend the English language.

Sarah, in her mid-30s, is a children's book editor. She has decided, out of the blue, to have a baby. The hitch: she's infertile.

So Sarah asks younger sister Coco (Ambrose) to be a surrogate because, let's face it, when you make a snap decision about motherhood but are diagnosed with Asherman's syndrome in about 2 1/2 minutes, you might as well rent the uterus of an estranged sibling who is technically homeless, unemployed and recently out of rehab.

Honestly, Amy, between the utter lack of comedic timing and the utter surplus of lame dialogue, even the voices on the laugh track sounded like they were faking it at gunpoint.

Tomorrow's pilot is followed by a second episode. But it's not the second episode I watched, which is probably a good thing. Because the second episode I watched only compounded my confusion.

I mean, what happened to the Molly character? Why did Sarah's office look different? Did her boyfriend Marcus (Scott Cohen) quit his first job and start working with her? Why was her assistant Buddy (Michael Arden) suddenly MIA? Why was there no mention of the book-within-the-show, The Adventures of Jezebel James, named after Coco's imaginary childhood friend?

It's as if a new team of idiots replaced the first team of idiots to create a revamped show that was, nonetheless, equally idiotic.

Tomorrow's second episode is titled "Frankenstein Baby."

What a coincidence: after watching the pilot, I found myself in a drooling, mouth-breathing trance, arms stiff and extended forward as I lumbered toward Hollywood, looking to exact vengeance on the "Amy Sherman-Palladino" who created this mutant evil.

"What are you watching?" Coco asks her sister in a future episode.

"Something really bad," replies Sarah.

Let me guess: The Return of Jezebel James?

Amy, if nothing else, change your name. Because after tomorrow, it won't have the same cachet.
TheStar.com | Television | Return of Jezebel James ain't the Gilmore girls

love the last bit.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aw, that is a horrible review! I agree that it wasn't the strongest pilot but c'mon. Also, I do not think that she was deciding to have a baby so sudden, but it did come off that way, I suppose.
ღღღ
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top