Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Passionate Fan

As much as I felt that one of them had to die to retain realism...that was still very shocking. It is hard to imagine one of those 'original 3' being gone.

Another great episode I thought. Tommy is very much in over his head and is maybe beginning to realize it. Adrian Brody was creepy again. Aiden Gillen had his usual sinister undercurrent. Johnny Dogs just consistently makes me smile, I hope they never kill him off. Interesting to see May again.

~Katie~
Old 11-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Supreme Fan

Great great episode. I'm so sad that John is gone, he was always one of my favorites but that's the way it is i guess, after Grace i'm prepared for everything. He'll be terribly missed. That last scene between Tommy and Luca was outstanding, brilliant performance by both actors it was so intense, i held my breath the whole time. I'm very excited about this season, very promising so far, i'm glad because i didn't really like season 3. I couldn't care less about May's return, she brings absolutely nothing to the table. Mister Gold is creepy. It seems like Tommy's bitten more than he can chew with him AND the italian mafia, i'm looking forward to see what he's gonna do to sort out that mess.

Zayn Malik is my son.
~Zohra~ icon : Cereal Killer
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucasBangelBrylan (View Post)
I couldn't care less about May's return, she brings absolutely nothing to the table.
Unless Tommy decides to remarry. Although he seems way too busy trying to stay alive, to get married (unless to Lizzy or something)! I mainly wonder what May's presence means. I doubt they brought her back for nothing.

~Katie~

Last edited by Red Dragon; 11-23-2017 at 05:49 PM
Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Moderator Manager

Yeah I'm not sure why May is back but there has got to be a reason why she's back which we'll probably later find out.

That ep really honed in some incredible acting from both Cillian & Helen, imo. They were the standouts for me. I also agree that Aidan Gillen had this eerie vibe to him and Adrian Brody was good at being creepy. Now I just want Tom Hardy to come back and I'll be over the moon.

The Shelby that I started out not liking but ended up liking by S2 was Arthur. I liked him even more than John. I'm glad that Michael is alive, he's Pollly's rock and I don't even want to see Polly go into a downward spiral/hurt. I loved the contrast in reaction to both Tommy & Polly, who was laughing at how absurd she thinks Tommy's plans are, because it shows how these two grieve differently. So much A+ acting on this show why is everyone sleeping on this?

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
John is a character i can't relate tbh
Me too, not the way I use to for some reason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
In RL the Sabini gang wiped out all the peaky blinders... so good chance because it's been renewed for 5th and final season that the remaining two brothers will die in the next series. We all know BBC will send this show off with a bang.
Thanks for the info and I would prefer that this show ended while it was still strong unlike some other shows.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Passionate Fan

John was the least developed brother (well, besides Finn)..I think that was why people couldn't really relate to him. We didn't understand how he works, unlike Arthur and Tommy. Even so, he has always *been there* so it is going to be so strange to have him not taking part in everything.

I've always loved Arthur. He is such a fully developed character and has been since the beginning. Plus, he always cracks me up... "I'm old testament!"

~Katie~
Old 11-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes I agree, John was the least developed so while it's sad to see him go, it won't be as devastating as losing the others.

Right? Arthur is the best! Tommy knows how his brother's mind tick and he actually calms him down when he gets mad/agitated (which is all the time). I went from not caring about him to caring about him so much, it's surreal.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wonder why John didn't get a lot of development compared to the others? I love Arthur too and the actor who plays him does an great job with him.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:50 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Wonder why John didn't get a lot of development compared to the others?
I always got the feeling they didn't really know what to do with him, but who knows. Maybe Paul Anderson (Arthur) injected so much character into what was written for Arthur that it made him really come alive and so they decided to expand his role and capitalize on Paul's skill and vision for Arthur, rather than John. I think critics and viewers responded strongly to Arthur so I can see why they maybe wanted more focus on him.

Honestly it is because of Arthur that my love for Tommy wavers now and then...yes, he knows how to 'handle' Arthur, but he uses that to manipulate him a lot. He uses him and I think it is kinda sad.

~Katie~
Old 11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Moderator Manager

That has always been their kind of relationship though. Tommy is kind of the brains and brawn of the Shelbys and he'll always manipulate Arthur into doing what he wants. He'll always make it seem that it's good for the family, etc. It is sad but that's how they are.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon (View Post)
I always got the feeling they didn't really know what to do with him, but who knows. Maybe Paul Anderson (Arthur) injected so much character into what was written for Arthur that it made him really come alive and so they decided to expand his role and capitalize on Paul's skill and vision for Arthur, rather than John. I think critics and viewers responded strongly to Arthur so I can see why they maybe wanted more focus on him.

Honestly it is because of Arthur that my love for Tommy wavers now and then...yes, he knows how to 'handle' Arthur, but he uses that to manipulate him a lot. He uses him and I think it is kinda sad.
Yeah that could be it, but at the same time Arthur getting some more focus didn't mean that John couldn't though.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Supreme Fan

Well it seems like i’m the only one here who loves John more than Arthur lol. I always saw Arthur as a weakness to the family and Tommy. And maybe that’s horrible to say that but i always put Tommy first, what’s best for him before any other character. I don’t like how he’s so easily manipulated, by Tommy or his father that one time and now by his wife so i really can’t relate to him.

Zayn Malik is my son.
~Zohra~ icon : Cereal Killer
Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

I was too keen on John from the beginning anyway. Arthur has always been my favourite out of the brothers, although... those favours did falter when he became a bible basher.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:46 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucasBangelBrylan (View Post)
Well it seems like i’m the only one here who loves John more than Arthur lol. I always saw Arthur as a weakness to the family and Tommy. And maybe that’s horrible to say that but i always put Tommy first, what’s best for him before any other character. I don’t like how he’s so easily manipulated, by Tommy or his father that one time and now by his wife so i really can’t relate to him.
His weakness/vulnerability is part of what I like about him. He is sooo human. And almost childlike, but at the same time, he is this tough guy that has Tommy's back!

I didn't mind the Christian influence for Arthur, I felt like it was good for his mental health. He seems more at peace emotionally with Linda as pushy and annoying as she is ha ha. I always felt like he was on the brink of a mental breakdown previously.

But yeah, they didn't have to neglect John in order to give Arthur and Tommy more time..I don't know why they made that choice.

~Katie~
Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Me too and the way the writers go about it adds an interesting dynamic to Arthur's character imo.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top