Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

I actually really liked Charles's character. His being a better foil for the guys like you said made him much more interesting from the start. He may have acted a bit stuck up at times and I didn't like how he acted, I appreciated he was more complex.

But yes, may the actor who played him rest in peace.
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFoley16 (View Post)
I just read that on another MASH thread. That leaves Alan Alda (Hawkeye), Mike Ferrell (BJ), Gary Burghoff (Radar), Loretta Switt (Margaret) and Jamie Farr (Klinger) I think.
So sad I love this cast so much.. at times I wish they did a reboot but they wouldn't get the right chemistry
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

I love this cast so much too, they set the standard for amazing chemistry for me on a show along with the actor on NewsRadio.
I shudder to think of this show ever getting even talk of a reboot though, too classic and timeless to ever be recreated.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

They have tried to create a military type show at times. But it never worked. MASH was such a one in a million. What other comedy could bring laughs, and death weekly. With the main characters in such danger...

MASH was such a hit because of Alan's Hawkeye. And the other characters...I don't think you could find that same combination today...
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Jasper1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

This cast combination was definitely one of a kind.
But to play the argumentative side here, are there any characters you wish weren't on the show or got less focus?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I actually was fine with the storylines. While Charles wasn't a favorite, he definitely was memorable and was a good foil for Hawkeye and BJ. I didn't care as much for Margaret in the early days, but she grew on me as the character became more engrained with the other cast once Frank was gone. And I recognize she was the only female on the show. She was needed.

Everyone else had their place. I don't think I really had a least favorite, which is strange for me and a show.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah I don't think there was a character I could have done without on this one either. There were people I didn't like as much (Trapper for one), but my reason for not liking him may have gone away had he had more storylines. Charles definitely benefited from being on the show as long he was to give him growth as a person.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah I don't think there was a character I could have done without on this one either. There were people I didn't like as much (Trapper for one), but my reason for not liking him may have gone away had he had more storylines. Charles definitely benefited from being on the show as long he was to give him growth as a person.
Given the slapstick of the early seasons. Trapper was a lot of fun. But I think the fact that Trapper and Hawkeye were similar characters except that Trapper was married, although he didn't care about staying faitful. He was using the time away to play which made BJ a much needed contrast because you had Trapper, Henry not caring about their marriage vows so they all were the same except Hawkeye was a committed single...

So the fact BJ and Potter were committed to their marriages made for a excellent contrast and made the stories of temptation away from home more powerful...
Old 03-30-2018, 03:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

That is very true how they worked with Potter & BJ's temptations. I also liked that they made Potter regular Army and how he followed regulations more than Henry. He still had his human side though too since he enlisted to start his career all those years ago.
It's like Henry was the fun uncle role and Potter was their father figure.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
That is very true how they worked with Potter & BJ's temptations. I also liked that they made Potter regular Army and how he followed regulations more than Henry. He still had his human side though too since he enlisted to start his career all those years ago.
It's like Henry was the fun uncle role and Potter was their father figure.
In some ways. And especially for Margaret. Although Hawkeye certainty respected him much more than Henry in terms of being a boss. He and Henry were more friends. But the type of friends who probably wouldn't have seen each other after the war...

You really saw the gang keeping in touch in the later years. Even if they were spread all over the country. Especially Hawkeye and BJ.

I wasn't sure what to expect like Hawkeye and BJ when you found out Potter was regular army. But I think he realized that a certain latitude needed to be given since they were a medical outfit, and not a regular army unit. But still he was able to give them leadership they needed.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Master Fan

This was such a brilliant show, they don't make them like this any more!
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

FOX is going to be airing a NEW two hour special on January 1st, 2024 celebrating the show, with new interviews from those still alive. And archival footage of those who have left us. But something special...

Can't wait. Love the show so much.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/mash-sp...ll-1235654585/
Old 12-08-2023, 05:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

I posted my excitement about this on the thread in the 80s forum but yes! I'm very thrilled to see new MASH stuff like that special coming.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top