Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

can't wait to see what you think.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Elite Fan

what's coming to HBO in April? besides Game of Thrones (which I can't get behind, and I've tried).
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

not treme! honestly. i loathe hbo so badly right now. canceling hung and how to make it... now this.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Elite Fan

idk... i liked how to make it, but hung, i wasn't heartbroken over it's cancellation. it became such a middling series to me. i watched it out of obligation, not really enjoyment.

eta: there's a show called 'girls' found this on the website:
Quote:
Created by and starring Lena Dunham ("Tiny Furniture"), the show is a comic look at the assorted humiliations and rare triumphs of a group of girls in their early 20s. Dunham wrote and directed the pilot of the series, which she executive produces along with Judd Apatow and Jenni Konner.* The cast also includes Jemima Kirke, Allison Williams, Adam Driver and Zosia Mamet.* Episodes were shot in New York. The ten-episode season debuts in 2012.
and also a show called "veep" with julia louis dreyfus:
Quote:
Former Senator Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) has accepted the call to serve as Vice President of the United States. The job is nothing like she imagined and everything she was warned about. 'Veep' follows Meyer and her staff as they attempt to make their mark and leave a lasting legacy, without getting tripped up in the day-to-day political games that define Washington.

Meyer's inner circle includes: her chief of staff Amy (Anna Chlumsky), longtime press spokesperson Mike McClintock (Matt Walsh), right hand and body man Gary (Tony Hale) and secretary Sue (Sufe Bradshaw) all of whom often do battle with Dan Egan (Reid Scott) an ambitious interloper and smug White House liaison Jonah (Tim Simons).

Created by Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It, In the Loop), the comedy is scripted but shot in an improvisational style. 'Veep' is authentic without being specifically biographical about what it is like to hold the least effectual post in the most powerful office in the world.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

idk, i thought season three of hung was it's strongest. i feel like hbo hasn't been at it's best since sfu went off the air. i mean, big love was ok, but they usually had a good trifecta going on with comedy, drama and comedy/drama shows. now, it's just bad.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Elite Fan

really? i felt like it just kept dragging. and dragging. had some shining moments, but i just wasn't feeling it.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

well, if you fast forwarded everything thing but ray and tanya!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM
New Fan

How has The Wire not been mentioned? That show is better than anything that was on TV with The Wire. And anything that's on TV right now without it.

The storytelling, how all of the characters weave in and out of the seasons and each others lives seamlessly. It's amazing. The characters were all compelling and they were backed by incredibly talented actors.

It can be a very depressing show, this is because it is honest and raw.

Sorry, I get a little carried away with the show. Haha. Fr the record, I liked Hung a lot at first. The second season fell a little flat though, and I stopped watching it. If it gets better in the 3rd season, maybe it's worth checking out. Too bad they're canceling it. Will it have a solid conclusion?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i've tried talking about the wire with everyone on this thread before... they haven't seen it. i have. love it, of course, but it emotionally wears you out after awhile, like you said. although, i REALLY want to rewatch season one soon. been wanting to for some time now. "you come at the king, you best not miss."
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Supreme Fan

Ah The Wire. What a show (I'd rewatch with you Lexi)

Quote:
i feel like hbo hasn't been at it's best since sfu went off the air. i mean, big love was ok, but they usually had a good trifecta going on with comedy, drama and comedy/drama shows. now, it's just bad.
Yup. And Big Love started out great, hit a bad patch and never recovered.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas forever (View Post)
i've tried talking about the wire with everyone on this thread before... they haven't seen it. i have. love it, of course, but it emotionally wears you out after awhile, like you said. although, i REALLY want to rewatch season one soon. been wanting to for some time now. "you come at the king, you best not miss."
You absolutely need to re-watch it! I never realized it, but I missed out on many things the first time I watched it. There's just so much going on in that show. And with every season, you are introduced to more characters...it only gets better when I re-watch it.

I'm about to watch it for the third time with my boyfriend. He's never seen it before. He's a writer so I think he's going to love it. ...It may affect the relationship if he doesn't like it!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i'm rewatching treme instead.

this looks insanely amazing! i think ken mentioned it up above. why do i doubt hbo? ugh.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
New Fan

I will absolutely be watching that show! It looks pretty interesting.

I've never seen Treme. That's what I want to get into next. Going through The Sopranos at the moment. Pretty good so far, I'm up to season 5. I'm just not as invested in it as I was The Wire though! Nothing can top that show.

I'm Beth by the way, I don't think I introduced myself to this forum.

Last edited by candyangel420; 02-29-2012 at 09:24 PM Reason: Last minute intro
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

hi, beth! i'm lexi. nice to meet you.

and, yea, i was watching a bit of the sopranos a couple of weeks back. i only watched the memorable episodes, but damn, that show is so crappy to me now.

i'm so in love with treme. i like it more than the wire... and considering it's made by the same people, lol, that's saying a lot. just a whole different dynamic, but it actually moves slower. like a lot slower. such rich characters and backgrounds though. plus, i'm a tad bit obsessed with new orleans. yea.

i'm looking forward to when season two of how to make it in america is on dvd. too bad hbo ditched it so soon. girls looks completely hilarious though. i might have to forgive hbo now...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 PM
New Fan

Nice to meet you too!

I have heard good things about Treme, and anything David Simon touches is pretty much gold. I think I had read somewhere that Bunk has a role on that show and is amazing. I don't mind it being slow as long as there's substance. Part of what made me fall in love with The Wire was the character development. That's also why I'm not incredibly bothered by the pace of The Walking Dead... though it would be nice if they could focus on other characters aside from the triangle! I am now rambling though, sorry!

I haven't seen How to Make it in America. A friend recommended it to me though. I'll have to check it out. I actually don't have cable, let alone fancy HBO cable! Haha, I either download from itunes, or go buy used dvds.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top