Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Moderator Manager

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) #5: "Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth."

+

Adapted from the classic novel by Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale is the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly the United States.
Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalism in its militarized ‘return to traditional values'.
As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate the world.
In this terrifying society, Offred must navigate between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids – where anyone could be a spy for Gilead – all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

Official Instagram

Cast:

Elisabeth Moss as June Osborne/Offred
Joseph Fiennes as Commander Fred Waterford
Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy Waterford
Alexis Bledel as Emily/Ofglen (later Ofsteven)
Madeline Brewer as Janine/Ofwarren (later Ofdaniel)
Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia
O. T. Fagbenle as Luke Bankole, June's husband
Max Minghella as Nick Blaine
Samira Wiley as Moira

previous threads:

[1] [2] [3] [4 [5] [6] [7] [8]

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the new one! I love the new title choice!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Moderator Manager

From the previous thread. I'll post my reaction to finale ep later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Warning (View Post)
OMG the finale had me on edge, I didn't see that coming from Serena, Alfred or for Emily. The resistance is growing and I'm glad for that, they cant keep treating the women this way. Sucks to have to wait a year to see how this plays out for Alfred, I understand her decision tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan (View Post)
I like that Commander Lawrence's Martha was named Cora, a nice nod to the book.

I suspected that he wasn't as awful as one would believe him to be, given his history and generally unpleasant demeanor, but I didn't expect that he would go so far as to get Emily out of Gilead. I'd say that even a man of his standing would suffer for what he has done, but the Council seem to have bought all kinds of rubbish stories from Fred, so he could get away with it if he can come up with a half-decent cover story.

Kudos to the Wives for their effort, even if it got nowhere. It's a step in the right direction for them, and I love that, while they may have been willing to accept a life of subservience for themselves, for the promise of children, they want better for their daughters. It wasn't just about reading; I'd say that the Council would have been equally opposed to audiobooks of the Bible being supplied to the women and girls of Gilead. They're using scripture to justify their dominance, so the last thing they want is for those they oppress to have access to more of the Bible than the bits that suit them.

Emily stabbing Aunt Lydia was great. I don't imagine for a moment that Aunt Lydia will die, but it'll be interesting to see what happens next. If her injuries are such that she will not be able to work, I doubt very much that Gilead has a nice retirement home for its Aunts, so she could end up in the Colonies.

The idea of a network of Marthas is perfect. They're arguably the most invisible women in Gilead, and therefore in a position to do some damage from the shadows.

I can understand why June chose to stay behind, even if I wish that she had left with Emily and the baby. She won't allow either of her daughters to grow up in Gilead if it lies in her power to stop it.

Did she rename the baby Nicole as a 'thank you' to Serena for letting them go, or because it was easier to let her go if she could think of her as being partly Serena's baby, while Hannah is hers?

One big question is what Fred will do now. "His" baby has been snatched out of his household, but every member of his household is involved. How bad is he going to look if he has to explain to the Council that his Handmaid, Wife, Martha and driver were all complicit in the escape, especially when he has a history of issues with Handmaids, and very recently had to deal with the scandal of Eden running away with Isaac? I wouldn't be surprised if Fred insists that the baby was kidnapped by a third party rather than admit that he has no control over his household.

For next season, I hope that Emily makes it to Canada. She would be a perfect voice for the Handmaids as she has nobody left in Gilead. If June escaped and became a spokesperson against Gilead, there could be reprisals against Hannah, depending on whether or not her adoptive parents have the clout to protect her. Emily's wife and son are hopefully safe in Canada, so she will have some support.

I'd also like to know the significance of Fred's map, and just how much of the United States is part of Gilead.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new one
Old 07-13-2018, 02:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Love the quote for the new thread.

I can't recall if June ever told Emily her full name. Can anybody remember? Without a surname, Emily may not be able to track Luke down, unless they meet at a support group. Hopefully, she'll be allowed to keep baby Nicole with her. It would be appalling if Fred was allowed to demand the return of "his" daughter.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

I thought it was a decent episode but she's starting to do my head in, i don't understand why she didn't get on the car... like walking into the rain is all cool and that, but not when you've got no life in there. As soon as she gets found she'll be killed because they know she's stolen the baby.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Does the finale leave you with a little hopefulness or is is sad/depressing like a lot of the episodes have been?

Only up to episode 3 of season 2.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread
Old 07-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Emily stabbing Aunt Lydia was great. I don't imagine for a moment that Aunt Lydia will die, but it'll be interesting to see what happens next. If her injuries are such that she will not be able to work, I doubt very much that Gilead has a nice retirement home for its Aunts, so she could end up in the Colonies.
YES!!! I was yelling and clapping get her Lydia is most likely won't die but a least she got a taste of her own medicine.

Quote:
I can understand why June chose to stay behind, even if I wish that she had left with Emily and the baby. She won't allow either of her daughters to grow up in Gilead if it lies in her power to stop it.
Yeah and she knew they would come after her, staying behind gives the baby a fighting chance but I got slightly annoyed when she was taking her time to get in the truck, I know she was thinking about her decision but I was like girl hurry, GO!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Warning (View Post)
YES!!! I was yelling and clapping get her Lydia is most likely won't die but a least she got a taste of her own medicine.
I liked seeing that too.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wow, what a finale. I was on the edge of my seat at the end there waiting to see what would happen.

Eden's own father turned her in? Horrible. Poor girl.

I had a feeling that Rita was part of the resistance but I didnt want to get my hopes up. All the moments with June in the episode were really sweet, and I loved when she called June Nick's girlfriend and watched them hold Nicole together, that was really sweet.

As horrible as Serena has acted in the past, there is still obviously some good in her. I think deep down she does understand the weight of her involvement in the creation of Gilead and she feels regret over that... I do like that she tried to stand up for Nicole and June by bringing forward the idea of letting women read again... however, it was a really stupid thing to do, especially at this time when Fred isn't the happiest with her. I cant believe they actually took her off and cut off her finger, that was horrible. But I do hope that somewhere deep down that was Serena's breaking point and now she can finally realize that she needs to get out or try to help others get out. I was pleasantly surprised to see her allowing June to leave the house with Nicole. I really didnt expect that to happen at all. Good for you Serena! Now please, lets continue down this road in season 3.

I cant believe June actually hit Fred in this episode and that he didn't punish much other than just slapping her once and shoving her on the coach. I really dont get why he allows her to be as rebellious as she is. But like I said before, I think maybe some part of him really enjoys that push and pull. And i think he also enjoys that ultimately he does have power over her. Now that June has gotten Nicole out, I wonder if he will hold up his bargain about Hannah as long as he cooperates.

In fact, does Fred realize that Nick knew about it? That Rita knew about it? Serena? How will June explain all of this and why she was out in the rain? But, like said before from someone else, perhaps he will go along with the lie because theres been so many issues in that house and he doesn't want more suspicious placed on them.

NICK AND JUNE WERE EFFING ADORABLE. I loved the moment when she introduced Nick to his daughter and he was able to hold the baby. What a freaking sweet moment between them. And June finally told him she loved him! Which was adorable as all hell. I do love that June is going to stay in Gilead if only because of the fact that she will get to be around Nick still as well.

The scene between June and Emily was really sweet, I love that friendship so much. It was really hard watching Emily struggle so much in the episode. I cannot believe she actually stabbed Lydia. I was liking Lydia a lot this season but her comments to Emily were so horrible. So now Im not so sure I feel that bad for her.

How amazing was the moment when Nick put his hand on Fred to stop him? YES MY KING.

I knew that Emily's commander (Alfred?) was going to be good. I love that he helped Emily get out. The scene in the car with the music was sort of funny (if Emily hadnt been so freaked out). I think its amazing that he is helping her escape. I really hope he doesnt get in trouble for it. But he can always just lie and say Emily stabbed Lydia when he was out of the house and then fled or something.

I too wasnt sure why June wanted Emily to call the baby Nicole but i am assuming its because she was trying to honor Serena for helping them escape. However, I didnt really like it... I mean, Serena still was a hug part in creating Gilead. She doesnt deserve the honor to name the child... What a selfless moment for June though, letting her daughter go and staying to fight for her other daughter! My heart! The flashback moment with Hannah was the sweetest scene ever, as was introducing Nicole to her sister. I AM SO HAPPY THAT EMILY WAS ABLE TO GET OUT. SO SO SO HAPPY. I hope she can be reunited with her wife and her child. PLEASEEEEEE.

I am satisfied with that ending for season 2 and wont be going crazy waiting for season 3 because it was a nice ending. In fact, if you stop the episode right after June flees with Holly then you can pretend thats how it ended haha.
Quote:
I'd also like to know the significance of Fred's map, and just how much of the United States is part of Gilead.
I am curious about that too. Based on the show, it seems they live in a very small vicinity but maybe that is more likable the capital area of Gilead. Maybe the other parts of Gilead arent as strict/horrible? Who knows. I was under the assumption it was the entire United States though.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks about the title.

That ep gave me so much feels. I was happy and sad and tense. I'm glad for the break but I will miss the show.

That small moment with Nick, June & Holly was... "Holly meet your daddy." Nick was so scared to get near his own daughter and June was like "It's okay."

I am so glad to be wrong about Commander Lawrence and we have one good Commander at Gilead. He'll be in so much trouble if they found out although a story can still work and Commander Lawrence can say Emily escaped after hurting Aunt Lydia. But is he repentant? He's the mastermind of the colonies so I'm still iffy with him. And OMG I was so surprised when Emily tried to kill Aunt Lydia but then again, this is Emily since last season when she ran over a guardian in broad daylight so this is not OOC. I am so glad she escaped, it's about time and with baby Holly too. Also the whole time Emily was hurting Aunt Lydia, I was like "Noooo, I still want Ann Dowd on the show!"

I am still so cautious with Serena. I don't know what to feel about her. I just think that she feels remorse now because her finger got cut off. So in the end, I knew that she was going to agree to let baby Holly go and only because of what happened to her and not because it's for the best.

June staying I think was because she wants to fight. Plus I can also sense that something is happening to Gilead. I'm really hoping that S3 will be the season that we will finally see some slither of hope because if it's just the same as S1/S2 and June chose to stay and suffer through all that again, I won't be able to take it anymore. I want her to stay because she can rise above all of this, not because she's gonna be tortured or raped again. Of course there will still be some misery and Fred will make her life miserable but the tides should be turned on him soon.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I really dont get why he allows her to be as rebellious as she is. But like I said before, I think maybe some part of him really enjoys that push and pull. And i think he also enjoys that ultimately he does have power over her. Now that June has gotten Nicole out, I wonder if he will hold up his bargain about Hannah as long as he cooperates.
I think that there is a part of Fred that wants to believe that, despite the circumstances, June could want him for himself. I imagine that the same was true of the late Offred. He's in a position of power in Gilead but he doesn't really have any normal interactions with others, especially women. I even suspect that he and Serena no longer have a sex life to speak of; if sex is now supposed to be for reproduction only, it would make sense that a Commander with a "barren" Wife is expected to save himself for the Ceremony. Last season, he accused Serena of bringing sin into the house.

It wouldn't surprise me if Fred is so deluded that he believes that he is a nice guy, one that the Handmaids assigned to his household could become genuinely fond of. He never considers that he is the reason why June would run away, it's always that Serena is unkind. I wouldn't put it past him to bribe June to stay in his household with the promise of being near the baby, and having visits with Hannah, and then telling himself that she agreed to stay to be near him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I am curious about that too. Based on the show, it seems they live in a very small vicinity but maybe that is more likable the capital area of Gilead. Maybe the other parts of Gilead arent as strict/horrible? Who knows. I was under the assumption it was the entire United States though.
There was a yellow area, a blue area, two pink areas, and red edges on the map. The yellow area had a couple of what looked like symbols for radioactive, so that's presumably the Colonies. The areas were divided into blocks, but they're too big to be individual states. Maybe they're the districts that were spoken of. Red may symbolise areas of conflict.

When Luke was first shown in Little America, there was a flag with only two white stars on it, the rest were all blue. Since we know that Hawaii isn't under Gilead's control, that only leaves one state.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

But I think Serena is finally realizing how little power she actually has in this world. This is the second time shes been punished and I dont think shell be able to take much more. It will either crush her completely or cause her to rebel. I guess we'll see.

I'd really like to see a "friendship" or alliance at least between June and Serena. I think they just work so well together.

I'm sure that is true about Fred, that he truly believes all the crap that he is spinning and thats hes not a bad guy. But who the hell knows. Hes gotten pretty evil.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
Does the finale leave you with a little hopefulness or is is sad/depressing like a lot of the episodes have been?

Only up to episode 3 of season 2.
What do you think of season 2 so far?
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top