Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2021, 11:34 PM
Moderator Manager

I only like them calling her Nichole because the name reminds us of the true father - Nick (Nichole). Plus June gave her blessing to call her Nichole when she gave the baby to Emily when they were escaping Gilead but June stayed behind (S2 finale).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky-Cousin (View Post)
That is awesome Joseph seems like a good guy and he did an amazing job bringing such a vile character to life. If I were playing a horrible person I would be thrilled for them to get their comeuppance with a dramatic horrible end too!
Granted of course there's no way anyone who is watching this show is rooting for Fred but I like that he was cheering for his character's death. I actually would love to watch this show with him.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:23 AM
Extreme Fan

The name potentially being a nod to her father, who she is kept from seeing, is the only thing I don't hate about the continued use of "Nichole".

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Granted of course there's no way anyone who is watching this show is rooting for Fred but I like that he was cheering for his character's death. I actually would love to watch this show with him.
Haha me too it would be hilarious to watch him give shade to Fred!
Kinky-Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I call her Nichole cause of Nic. I think June continue to call her Nicole cause of Nic. I don't think it's cause of Serena anymore
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

i love that joseph was on board. thats how you know the character and show did a good job and it was the right time.

its like season 6 of GOT when they FINALLY killed all the bad guys .

Quote:
I hate that they still call her Nichole. My friend and I call her Holly when discussing the show.
I do too, I also hate when they say "praise be" and other gilead phrases in canada and such, like why??? I would never want to hear those damn words again. Rita pisses me off so much whenever she says them.

Quote:
I don't like it purely because Serena picked it. Serena is not her mother and never was, she had no right to be naming the baby of her captive and abuse victim!
And didnt she name her holly after her mom? It doesnt make sense to me why they dont call her holly. June named her that when she gave birth alone in that house. I dont like that the show calls her nicole at all!!! It wouldnt be that bad had say, nick named her that and then the waterfords started calling her that or something but it was stupid ass serena.

the only thing i can think is that maybe june is taking the power back by using the name. Serena named her but the child is hers, so its a constant reminder??? idk.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky-Cousin (View Post)
Haha me too it would be hilarious to watch him give shade to Fred!
He hates the character just like all of us. I love that. I also like that we only got 4 seasons of Fred because there's no point of keeping him around as he continues to torment June and at some point he has to die too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I do too, I also hate when they say "praise be" and other gilead phrases in canada and such, like why??? I would never want to hear those damn words again. Rita pisses me off so much whenever she says them..
I think it's just the effect of the abuse that those things still won't leave her. It doesn't help that she continues to see the same people she was with in Gilead. Hopefully by next season she's all better.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)

I think it's just the effect of the abuse that those things still won't leave her. It doesn't help that she continues to see the same people she was with in Gilead. Hopefully by next season she's all better.
I actually don't mind that bit. I think it shows that she's a true believer unlike the whole system of Gilead. June and the others say it back so I think they are as well which is a good thing. obviously it was used for all the wrong reasons in Gilead but in Canada they can say it and actually mean it. especially since they got out, they're definitely gonna be thanking God for that for a long time

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:40 PM
Moderator Manager

I don't mind it as much but all those greetings do remind me of Gilead which is a horrible place plus it's just weird to still greet each other that way when they're not in Gilead anymore. Moira and Emily seem to be doing fine now but June & Rita still need time.

I'm kind of scared that Janine will die first before Aunt Lydia. But with Nick & Commander Lawrence opting for a change in Gilead, Janine might have a chance to make it out again. I hope. Plus there's also Hannah and I'm counting on Nick & Commander Lawrence to come through for her next season.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I did like when she said praise freaking be lol. I found the freaking funny.Plus they were saying it in a genuine way.Well Rita does say she is working with a therapist on getting Gilead out of her. I do like her we all adapt at our own pace. Being a Martha is also not as traumatic as being a handmaid. Not that it's great and still hard but iys a different way of coping.

Again I think june calls her Nicole cause of Nick and to own that name. I am used to it and the other people in June life use it. I feel it would disrupt the routine to much to change it to Holly
Old 06-27-2021, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Holly is a baby, it woudn't disrupt anything to change it now lol

Quote:
I actually don't mind that bit. I think it shows that she's a true believer unlike the whole system of Gilead. June and the others say it back so I think they are as well which is a good thing. obviously it was used for all the wrong reasons in Gilead but in Canada they can say it and actually mean it. especially since they got out, they're definitely gonna be thanking God for that for a long time
???

Im not trying to be rude but huhhh.

I'm not religious so maybe im wrong, but people dont use praise be in real life??? right??? like this is a gilead thing. Its a phrase used for their insane beliefs??? how is that at all a positive thing? someone explain please.

Using it to be sarcastic in front of fred is one thing. Using it to each other in a serious manner is weird.

I cant wait for Lydias death either!
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I meant it might be hard for the adults who are used to calling her nicole for two years to call her Holly
Again it also honors Nick.Sometimes it's hard to let go of phrases that have been ingrained in you. Plus saying it in happy events like June coming back. Their taking a negative phrase and making it positive
Old 06-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I did like when she said praise freaking be lol. I found the freaking funny.Plus they were saying it in a genuine way.Well Rita does say she is working with a therapist on getting Gilead out of her. I do like her we all adapt at our own pace. Being a Martha is also not as traumatic as being a handmaid. Not that it's great and still hard but iys a different way of coping.

Again I think june calls her Nicole cause of Nick and to own that name. I am used to it and the other people in June life use it. I feel it would disrupt the routine to much to change it to Holly
Yes definitely being a Martha wasn't as traumatic as being a handmaid and Rita might even cope with the PTSD easier than June. I guess Moira & Emily are better now because they escaped much earlier than Rita & June did.

And June gave her blessing to call her Nichole so whatever she decides, then that's good enough for me.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)

???

Im not trying to be rude but huhhh.

I'm not religious so maybe im wrong, but people dont use praise be in real life??? right??? like this is a gilead thing. Its a phrase used for their insane beliefs??? how is that at all a positive thing? someone explain please.
no I don't know anyone who uses it but it doesn't mean that it's a bad thing if you actually have faith and like using it. not the way it is in Gilead because they're all psychos and hypocrites. but if Rita stops using it after a while when she gets more used to the new place it's totally fine as well. you don't have to say stuff like that to have faith anyways, nothing depends on that one saying

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:23 AM
Extreme Fan

I used "Praised be!" as a response to anything systematically sexist I hear about. It's a faster way of saying "this sounds like something Gilead would celebrate".

Has anyone here read The Testements? Because I heard they are going to connect the show to it, and it's gotten me wondering a few things.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 PM
Moderator Manager

I haven't read that and I didn't know that they were going to connect that book to the show soon. Technically we're beyond the book on the show so is The Testaments more of what we're now seeing on the show or a completely new storyline?

Old 06-29-2021, 04:50 AM
Extreme Fan

The Testaments is set about 15 years after the first book, there are three narrators (none are June) and they are all people we have met in the show, so the show is currently in between the two books. I am waiting for my best friend to finish it so I can finally discuss with someone how they might gradually lead the show into the events of The Testaments
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top