Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

i like her but i definitely see her flaws. i think i just ignored them because i found it entertaining and leighton is just likable as an actress. i like all of her roles. but she definitely has done horrible things. overall i think serena is a better person but serena definitely bugged me more through the series.

i like serena and nates interaction as friends but i just dont think they work as a couple.

db def. isn't as enjoyabl the second time around. i think because i know how they end up, but i agree, i didnt really like seeing serena be uncomfortable with it, and i agree about them kind of changing dan. d/b were probably too different. but i like their scenes so much in the beginning that i def. was glad it happened.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tell me a lie (View Post)
i like her but i definitely see her flaws. i think i just ignored them because i found it entertaining and leighton is just likable as an actress. i like all of her roles. but she definitely has done horrible things. overall i think serena is a better person but serena definitely bugged me more through the series.

i like serena and nates interaction as friends but i just dont think they work as a couple.

db def. isn't as enjoyabl the second time around. i think because i know how they end up, but i agree, i didnt really like seeing serena be uncomfortable with it, and i agree about them kind of changing dan. d/b were probably too different. but i like their scenes so much in the beginning that i def. was glad it happened.
I can appreciate that. I think I overlooked a lot of dan and serena's flaws cause I like Blake and Penn so much. Plus I don't know they have a sassy quality I enjoy. I do understand why people would want to see DB, but I was never like anything that stood in the way of my otp
Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess to me I like both girls i guess equally but in certain seasons I would like more than the other like in s6 I liked serena more
Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by falling slowly (View Post)
I haven't seen the entire show, but I'm doing a rewatch and right now I love Blair! I'm only on season 1!
Blair

Quote:
Chuck and Blair are the king and queen in Gossip Girl's game of chess, and everyone else is a pawn except Serena
-J. Schwartz

Old 07-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Elite Fan

Ladies, that is how the thread should be, right?

Happiness and positivity. We aren't asking a lot of you to keep this board pleasant This message is to all of you.
I respect each and every one of you, and I hate to see this thread going downhill.

Keep this up. Remember, if you can't do that for the board, then at least do it for the show's sake.

Thank you
Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I do understand why people would want to see DB, but I was never like anything that stood in the way of my otp
oh i get that.

and i think thats where some of my serena hate comes from. since nj was my otp she got in the way in season 3 and thats when i started to dislike her.

i did start liking her again in season 5 though.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Loyal Fan

I hate the hate that Serena gets on Twitter. I mean, it's kind of interesting to me to see how people years later, and who are binging the show like on Netflix, and given our modern culture of documenting everything we do (selfies --not a fan) then react on Twitter. If I was still in school, I would so do several papers on it for my Media Studies and/or Sociology, or heck, even Psychology courses.

Because I think it's just fascinating to see the difference between watching it years later (sometimes even going in, knowing who GG is) vs. watching watching it in real time. People have such interesting reactions. No weeks between new episodes, no months between seasons. No spoilers. No fanwars (for the most part). For the most part, not being a part of a community that is also watching in real time, like TWoP, Livejournal or here, for examples. So people just seem to watch either in a vacuum, tweeting out what they think of it, and sometimes other Tweeters get involved.

And without the experience of time/being parts of a community, it seems to me, that people form some really different opinions than what I've observed on websites with people who watched real time. Which I know was the case with me. Case in point...MAN Serena is so hated. I mean, part of that was the bus that came for her in S3, and 4, with the (needed) rehabilitation in S5. But beyond that...the sluut shaming that goes on about her and the discounting of the inherent goodness that was a part of her so strongly, in S1 and 2. And oh yeah, the idea that Serena floated through life? I know Blair felt that way, and Jenny said it, but Serena had her own very real struggles. And did work for things. Her mom was a terrible mom to her, and Eric for the vast majority of the time. I love Lily, and Lily/Chuck's familial relationship...but she was a crap mom to Serena a lot of the time

In more important news...forget headbands, I loved the capes that Blair wore during the show. I mean CAPES! (Edna Mode reservations aside) --how superhero is that? The only one I didn't like, okay hated, was in S5 during that horrible god pact nonsense. That was part of one her ugliest outfits of the whole season (I swear, Eric Darman was staging a protest about S5, via clothes for Blair) that olive green cape, with that acid green? seat cushion of a hat, that acid green? blouse,...shudder. The only outfit Blair outfit worse, was when Blair was doing those STUPID bridesmaids contests. That yellow...thing! on her head, the hair, that skirt, the make-up, I just can't even. I need to go lie down on a fainting coach --hopefully one that doesn't look like that thing on her head in that god pact episode.

My favourite Blair capes though, are the purple she wore to supporting Chuck during the reading of his father's will. The green one in 3.25. And just for the sheer crackery, the lace one she wore in S2. That was full-till boogie crazy. Maybe it was kind of and homage to Elizabeth I's ruffs. Fitting, as she later in the series, she gives a lecture to Jenny about being Anne Boleyn, or Elizabeth I. So yeah, sorry Edna...love Blair's capes!!

ETA: Serena hate in S3...how was she getting between Jenny/Nate? They weren't a couple. Serena and Nate were, and Jenny was the one that was scheming to get the guy of that committed couple. I mean, my faves on the show are all active schemers, and the goddess bless them for that, but I know they're twisty when doing so. So how is Serena to blame? except for later cheating on Nate with Dan (and ugh, bussing of S3 Serena continues)?

Last edited by JonStewart4President; 07-30-2015 at 09:56 PM
Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

obviously nj weren't a couple. but as a shipper serena was getting "between" them to ME. its a figure of speech.

i dont think i said she was to blame i just said she annoyed me for that reason. especially when i dont feel like she ever really loved him and was only kinda using him for the comfort. and then later it turned into just sex with them.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tell me a lie (View Post)
oh i get that.

and i think thats where some of my serena hate comes from. since nj was my otp she got in the way in season 3 and thats when i started to dislike her.

i did start liking her again in season 5 though.
I just needed that mess that was ns to be over. Serena was in the middle of an emotional spiral and using nate as a crush and nj just needed to happen like pronto. If I'm bitter about one thing its NJ.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfHearts (View Post)
Ladies, that is how the thread should be, right?

Happiness and positivity. We aren't asking a lot of you to keep this board pleasant This message is to all of you.
I respect each and every one of you, and I hate to see this thread going downhill.

Keep this up. Remember, if you can't do that for the board, then at least do it for the show's sake.

Thank you
To reiterate what Vicki is saying, it's all about acting in a respectful manner.

Thanks guys. We know there is a lot passion for this show.

Big lights will inspire you
Old 07-31-2015, 03:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

AWWWWWWWWWW
Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Loyal Fan

I liked NS as a couple. They were pretty, and Nate loved Serena, and treated her well. Though I guess you could argue she didn't treat him as well in return (by cheating with Dan) because she didn't really love him/loved him less than someone else. So her choice on who she loved/should be with, should be the most important one. And that ultimately it was better for the guy, because she loved someone else, more/at all. Okay, that's a fair cop. So good point. Though I still love all the blonde prettiness of Nate/Serena. That White Party scene with them/kiss? gah. So lovely. Sorry, not sorry.

I hated that they made Serena such a flibbertygibbet in late S3, regardless what couple you prefer. Because prior to mid-late S3 (it's a theme), and S4, Serena wasn't so flighty with her boyfriends. At least not that we saw before then.

In S1 Serena's trying to rehabilitate herself in general. She tells Nate in the pilot, "I didn't come back here for you," because she was there for her brother, and isn't going to screw Blair over again. Or be the party!girl she was before. As a party!girl, Serena didn't have boyfriends. But she starts to have her first real one with Dan. And while later she tells him she cheated on a drunken party!girl binge...it's a lie. She did it to cover killing a man!! but she didn't cheat.

Even when Dan broke up with Serena (after Dan having ...whatever with Georgina) Serena didn't date anyone during the summer of S1-2. It was Dan who had sex with randoms, not Serena. After they try, and fail in S2, Serena moves on with Aaron (seriously, do not get that), but when she finds shes having real feelings for Dan again, she breaks up with Aaron definitively. So definitively the guy disappears off our screens forever (despite any family occasion he should appear in later).

So when Serena moved on to Dan in S2, it was with never truly lying to Aaron. She thought she liked Aaron, gave it a shot, discovered she had feelings for Dan, broke up with Aaron, later got together with Dan. In early S3 she's exclusively with Carter. Then of course, it all goes to hell. She's with Tripp why? (oy, the fake cancer foreshadowing) but okay, she is still definitively done with Tripp before being with Nate.

The whole going between guys as she did in late S3, and 4, always struck me as being a disservice to her character. I really hate what Safy did to Serena's character. I mean the whole retcon of Serena's boarding school experience, where instead of getting clean/clear that was so seminal in the pilot, and her character in S1, was just tossed on the rubbish heap for ~reasons.

Though at least in S5 Serena never actually dated anyone. Came close to Ivy's dude, but threw him over before anything happened. So she just had whatever she did with Dan. But that was it. S5...character rehabilitation for the bussed, to accommodate the reason for the busing.

So one of the reasons I disliked S6 was not just that they didn't fix the Serena/Blair relationship to the degree it deserved, but that they continued some of Serena's being a flibbertygibbet! I hated that after Serena was crushed by Dan's horrible piece on her (weirdly published on Thanksgiving), and dumping him, that she did try and call Steven after she dumped him for Dan. sigh. I hate flibbertygibbet Serena. sads

ETA: just love all the Chace/Ed and Ed or Chace pics with other GG cast. Or liked Ed with JSchwartz and SS. How cute!!! I ADORE that the cast still likes each other. So sweet

Last edited by JonStewart4President; 07-31-2015 at 06:50 PM
Old 08-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore (View Post)

AWWWWWWWWWW
This is awesome!!! They look so beautiful!

Big lights will inspire you
Old 08-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

aww great pic of chace and ed.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I just needed that mess that was ns to be over. Serena was in the middle of an emotional spiral and using nate as a crush and nj just needed to happen like pronto. If I'm bitter about one thing its NJ.
you are right, i thin she was using him as a crutch also. she was going through that whole tripp mess and he was her savior. plus serena fell for a lot of guys.

im bitter about nj too, they deserved their shot like any of the other ships! why couldnt they have at least been endgame? lol.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top