Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Elite Fan

I'm glad. He's spent five books laying the groundwork, to change it now would honestly bring a whole new set of problems. (It's like when he said he wouldn't change his story if fans figured things out because suddenly plots wouldn't make sense if they were originally intended to be something else.)

At least from what I've seen, and I share this view too, is that the heart of the problem isn't so much the ending itself but how the show got there - namely that it was rushed and unearned. While I'm honestly still unsure about Bran being king, I do have faith that GRRM will give a better reason than "he has the best story".
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Passionate Fan

https://tvline.com/2019/07/16/2019-e...s-list-awards/
Old 07-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Moderator Support Team

That twitter..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue winter roses (View Post)
At least from what I've seen, and I share this view too, is that the heart of the problem isn't so much the ending itself but how the show got there - namely that it was rushed and unearned. While I'm honestly still unsure about Bran being king, I do have faith that GRRM will give a better reason than "he has the best story".
All of this. Cause I'm now thinking maybe the shortened season affected the show too? It all got problematic for me come S7 which was already a shortened season.

Congrats to all the actors who are nominated. First time nominations for Alfie ( ), Sophie, Gwen and Nik (?). This is a no-brainer even though S8 was terrible. I mean the show won during it's 5th season and that wasn't one of their best seasons, imo.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm happy with all the nominations for Game of Thrones! Obviously the last season wasn't great, but I thought it was good. And to me, Game of Thrones will always be a very beloved and special show.

The huge amount of nominations for Game of Thrones are obviously a homage for the whole series. A farewell. The Emmys often do it. I remember they did it with LOST too. Another show that I love very much and has a special place in my heart. The difference is that they had huge competition at the time. Breaking Bad and Mad Men, especially.

I also think what explains all the nominations to GOT is the fact The Handmaid's Tale (another show that I love ) is inelegible this year, probably on purpose, because they didn't want to air the show at the same time as the final season of Game of Thrones. They (folks from the Handmaid's Tale) denied it, but that's probably the main reason why the show started later than usual.
Big Little Lies, WestWorld, The Crown, Stranger Things... are all out too. Big Little Lies was clearly on purpose to not compete with Game of Thrones. HBO made sure of it.

So, with all these shows out... Game of Thrones gets a record breaking amount of nominations and almost the entire cast was Emmy nominated and I'm beyond happy for them. They deserve this farewell homage.

Even though my favorites will always be Maisie and Lena for obvious reasons and I'm very happy for them, I was almost sure they're going to be nominated, so I'm not surprised.

I'm especially happy and surprised for Gwendoline, Alfie and Sophie. Gwendoline made me cry when Brienne was knighted. Brienne becoming a knight of the seven kingdoms is one of the most emotional moments of season 8 and one of the most emotional moments of the entire show, IMHO. And if I'm not wrong, Gwendoline and Alfie had to submit themselves for consideration because HBO didn't do it. So the fact they got nominated is awesome.

It's the second time Nikolaj was nominated. He was nominated for the first time in 2018 for season 7. So I expected him to be nominated again this time.

I'm very happy for Ramin being nominated too. He's a musical genius and deserves all the awards.

I don't want to get too hopeful with Lena being nominated. But I can't help it, I'm still hoping against hope that Lena is going to finally win it. I remember back in 2015 they gave the award to Jon Hamm for Mad Men because it was the last season of the show and his last chance to win it and he has always been nominated a gazillion of times but had never won it, so for the last season they gave the award to him. They could do the same for Lena. That would be a great idea. Eight years of brilliant acting as Cersei from her should be rewarded.

I think Game of Thrones will win for best drama, Peter will win for best supporting actor and Ramin for best music composition.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Elite Fan

Where's the nominations for the Starbucks cup and the water bottles?!?!?!

I'm happy for the actors, though I don't think everyone needed to be nominated (they didn't all have the material for it), but I honestly really hate to see the writing for S8 coast on GoT being such a big show. Sorry not sorry, I don't want D&D getting any kind of reward, especially if there's writers out there more deserving who didn't get nominated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
All of this. Cause I'm now thinking maybe the shortened season affected the show too? It all got problematic for me come S7 which was already a shortened season.
I think the shortened seasons was the worst thing they could've done (and IMO it said D&D didn't care anymore). GRRM's novels aren't short and I highly doubt that suddenly changes with the two he hasn't finished yet.

Last edited by blue winter roses; 07-17-2019 at 12:32 PM
Old 07-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for that! And I'm glad that Alfie finally got one..

is that what you want?

Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveJules! (View Post)
I also think what explains all the nominations to GOT is the fact The Handmaid's Tale (another show that I love ) is inelegible this year, probably on purpose, because they didn't want to air the show at the same time as the final season of Game of Thrones. They (folks from the Handmaid's Tale) denied it, but that's probably the main reason why the show started later than usual.
Big Little Lies, WestWorld, The Crown, Stranger Things... are all out too. Big Little Lies was clearly on purpose to not compete with Game of Thrones. HBO made sure of it.
Yup, I think I read this somewhere that these shows purposely delayed their season because they didn't want to coincide with the last season of GOT as all the shows know GOT will sweep the awards, which I'm sure they will (especially the technical categories).

Quote:
I don't want to get too hopeful with Lena being nominated. But I can't help it, I'm still hoping against hope that Lena is going to finally win it. I remember back in 2015 they gave the award to Jon Hamm for Mad Men because it was the last season of the show and his last chance to win it and he has always been nominated a gazillion of times but had never won it, so for the last season they gave the award to him. They could do the same for Lena. That would be a great idea. Eight years of brilliant acting as Cersei from her should be rewarded.
I want Lena to win too. It's not often that villains win for these things and imo, she played the character brilliantly since S1 and is so overdue. Emilia too. She's been great since S1 but her category as lead actress is so tough.

Quote:
I think the shortened seasons was the worst thing they could've done (and IMO it said D&D didn't care anymore). GRRM's novels aren't short and I highly doubt that suddenly changes with the two he hasn't finished yet.
And the fact that they shortened the seasons because those two are in a rush to do SW makes me angry.

So looks like D&D can't make it to SDCC after all. Miguel Sapochnik, Iain Glen & Nathalie Emmanuel are out too.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

they are scared as crap. lol.

Quote:
I honestly really hate to see the writing for S8 coast on GoT being such a big show. Sorry not sorry, I don't want D&D getting any kind of reward, especially if there's writers out there more deserving who didn't get nominated.
SAME!

ALFIEEEEEE. he was so so so so good the whole way through and Theon's story and character arc is my favorite.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:00 AM
Elite Fan

The only thing I'm surprised about is that D&D were ever going to go to CC in the first place.

I really do love the cast but it doesn't sit right with me when award shows give "make up" awards for previous losses or pile on awards because it's the last chance to. That makes it an uneven playing field for the other candidates. That said, I am rooting for Gwen, Alfie, and Carice because they earned their nominations themselves and put in some great work. They didn't have HBO's backing. Emmys: Three Nominated 'Game of Thrones' Stars Self-Submitted After HBO Did Not Enter Them
Old 07-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Moderator Manager

I wonder why there was news about them going in the first place cause it seems to me that they were never going in the first place.

Quote:
:
I really do love the cast but it doesn't sit right with me when award shows give "make up" awards for previous losses or pile on awards because it's the last chance to. That makes it an uneven playing field for the other candidates. That said, I am rooting for Gwen, Alfie, and Carice because they earned their nominations themselves and put in some great work. They didn't have HBO's backing. Emmys: Three Nominated 'Game of Thrones' Stars Self-Submitted After HBO Did Not Enter Them
Yup I read about that too. The good thing with being nominated with your peers is that there's a good chance that 1 of you will win.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Extreme Fan

Well, the thing is that Lena has 5 nominations now. So logically, if someone from Game of Thrones wins in the supporting actress category, I think it's going to be her and it's going to be for crying her heart out in "The Bells", but mostly it's going to be for the 8 years playing Cersei. I can't see Maisie (as much as she was amazing as Arya in season 8 and has better material than all of them this year) or Gwendoline or Sophie winning and Lena ending up empty handed. That would be paradoxical.

I love Emilia and I think this last season was her best acting season. She shined playing dark Dany. And she has 4 nominations on her back. But she's in the lead category against Viola Davis, Sandra Oh, Laura Linney, Robin Wright, Jodie Comer... I agree, that's tough competition.

I agree about the best writing nomination. The final season and especially the last episode (which was the one nominated for best writing), it's not deserving of the nomination, IMHO.
But I have the feeling the show is not going to win in this specific category. I mean, it was nominated last year too for season 7 and it didn't win. The Americans won for best writing last year.
The competition is tougher in this category. The Handmaid's Tale is actually eligible for this category. The beyong amazing almost perfect episode "Holly" from season 2 is nominated for best writing. There is also Better Call Saul, who is often critically acclaimed for the writing. I don't watch Better Call Saul, so I can't say much.

If Game of Thrones wins for Best Writing, I don't know, it will be outrageous. The Emmys won't be taken seriously anymore.

I forgot to say I think Game of Thrones is also going to win for best directing with Michel Sapochnik for episode 3, "The Long Night".

I'm posting the reactions from the cast (and Ramin) because yeah, I'm really happy for all of them...

Maisie

Lena

Quote:
No I’m not engaged 😂 I’m just super CHUFFED and shocked and FULL of gratitude for the game changing opportunity that has been Game Of Thrones.... what a way to say Adios to this adventure of a lifetime .. Congrats to our INCREDIBLE CREW AND CAST ... 😘😱😱😱😱😱🐙❤️ #lovefestinthe7kingdoms

Sophie

Gwendoline

Quote:
“Oh my good lord, I never ever thought this would happen. I really didn’t. I went through every single emotion. I couldn’t be more delighted, this is the best day ever. It’s amazing so many of us have been nominated. I’m delighted for everybody. It’s a show we worked on for nearly 10 years. It’s meant so much to so many of us. I honestly couldn’t feel more overwhelmed, privileged and heartened that people want to see more unconventional female storylines. I’m so excited for Kit and Emilia and Maisie and Alfie, and Nikolaj congratulated me this morning. It feels like a celebration. It was always going to be a situation where not everyone was going to be pleased with the final season. People have invested so much time and energy in talking about the show. Everyone had an idea about how it was going to end. It was truly and undeniably spectacular and had epic proportions that nobody has seen before.”

Carice

Quote:
Whut ?!?!? 🔥 the summer is hot and full of surprises ! Wow, I’m very excited and proud!

Nikolaj

Alfie

Quote:
“32 nominations, it’s pretty insane. It’s collectively a mad thing,” Allen, 32, tells PEOPLE. “We’ve got a group chat going, it’s going crazy at the moment. It’s amazing. It’s just incredible, I can’t wait for the actual night.”

“I was on out and about just doing stuff. I got a congratulations text and I just thought it was a group nomination, and I didn’t realize it was an individual one, which is crazy,” Allen says. “I’m just ecstatic really, I can’t believe this. It really surprised me, I was not expecting it at all. I’m still in shocked, still happily in shocked. It’s amazing.”

He continues, “And I’m so happy to be with someone like Nikolaj as well, and Peter. All these amazing people. It’s just incredible. I can’t believe it. I’m so, so happy.”

“It’s gonna be a great night,” Allen says. “I haven’t seen these people since the show has ended so it’s going to be great to sort of round it up on a positive celebration with everyone. It’s going to be a really lovely night.”

But how will it rank among all the other parties the rowdy cast has thrown?
“Up there, I’m pretty sure,” Allen says with a laugh. “I’m sure it’ll be great. I can’t wait.”

Kit

Quote:
"Many thanks to the Academy," the Jon Snow star says. "It's been an amazing journey with ol' Jon Snow. I'm thrilled he's been nominated."

Ramin

I couldn't find anything from Emilia and Peter.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for those!

is that what you want?

Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

a few icons :

Old 07-20-2019, 12:31 AM
Moderator Manager

Lovely icons, Alexa.

Thanks for all the news and the cast reactions to their Emmy nominations. The Americans won last time because it was their last season and it was the Emmy's way of acknowledging a show they've always snubbed.

SDCC. I haven't watched the panel yet:

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top