Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2020, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

i thought the writer defended D&D and the story???

also, wasnt it the writers decisions to make all those SL's happen? SO DD felt they had to stick to it??
Old 05-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Moderator Support Team

I think that the writer can't say bad thing about them.. So I wouldn't be surprise that he lied..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 05-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
i thought the writer defended D&D and the story???

also, wasnt it the writers decisions to make all those SL's happen? SO DD felt they had to stick to it??
Well, there are still 2 books left to go. The last book came out in July 2011. GRRM apparently gave him broad strokes a few years ago, but he said he didn't know what they were going to do with the information. D&D ran out of their roadmap and they clearly didn't know what they were doing.

He'll say certain things in public, but there are loads of rumors they were not on great terms for years.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

^ Ahh, thanks for that.. Bec I was late to arrive to fandom..

is that what you want?

Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 PM
Moderator Manager

I can't remember if GRRM was at the most recent Emmys but I don't think he was. Cause the last few Emmys where GRRM attended, it seemed like he was still in good terms with D&D.

So many SLs were rushed and I feel like the shortened season really hurt the show and the writing. Sure S1-S6 had it's lackluster seasons but it wasn't as bad as the last two, imo.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not to be crass but this author is going to die before the end of the books ever come... 2011??? that was almost 10 years ago jeez.

Quote:
GRRM apparently gave him broad strokes a few years ago, but he said he didn't know what they were going to do with the information. D&D ran out of their roadmap and they clearly didn't know what they were doing.
Not really their fault though when he doesnt finish he books? lol.

But I swore i read the the writer knew their ending for the show and approved of it, that Dany was going to go dark and die, and that Bran was going to become King.

To me seasons 1-7 were all amazing. I even loved the first 3 episodes of season 8, so it was really the final episodes that I had an issue with. But as time goes on, I can accept the ending a bit more. The Dany thing will always hurt, but at least when she died the show was over so its not like we had go to seasons without her character or anything like that.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes it's not their fault GRRM is slow and of course they couldn't wait for him to do it because the show has already overtaken the books. What I don't like is while they know what's gonna happen more or less because D&D did consult with GRRM about how the storylines will go, the way they went about it and how they told it on the show was the problem for me. This is what happens when the writers base their shows on the source material and, in this case, because there were no more books, it was just ideas and bullet points that GRRM outlined for them. As writers, it's their job to tell us a good story with the "ideas" they were given. I'm sure we'll get the same ending in the upcoming books but it will be clearer, understandable and detailed as to why we got to that ending.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Moderator Support Team

Have you guys read the books?

is that what you want?

Old 05-29-2020, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly me to the moon (View Post)
I think that the writer can't say bad thing about them.. So I wouldn't be surprise that he lied..
Same, that wouldn't be the first time that has happened
Old 05-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah, for sure.. I remember that some of films, but I can't remember which one was that..

is that what you want?

Old 05-30-2020, 02:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

I am looking forward the the spinoff. The House Of The Dragon.
This should be epic if done right.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Just hope they don't screw up the ending
Old 05-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
As writers, it's their job to tell us a good story with the "ideas" they were given. I'm sure we'll get the same ending in the upcoming books but it will be clearer, understandable and detailed as to why we got to that ending.
I agree but they simply didnt have the episodes to do it? They could have worked toward it back in season 7 but did they even know about the ending at that point?

im not trying to defend them, I'm just trying to make sense of it.

We either deserved a wrap up movie, OR they should have not done the book ending and instead their own thing. But i dont think they were given those options.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

I don't beleive this is the ending GRRM gave them.

This was their dumb idea for shock value and it fell flat and made no sense.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly me to the moon (View Post)
Have you guys read the books?
Yes. I read them all after Season 1. And I'm still waiting for Book 6! I remember a friend of mine telling me to read the books in 2010 and how she was still waiting for Book 5 after 5 years...and I'm like...what is this?! I never thought I would be one of those people waiting nearly a decade for the next book.

Quote:
Not really their fault though when he doesnt finish he books? lol.

But I swore i read the the writer knew their ending for the show and approved of it, that Dany was going to go dark and die, and that Bran was going to become King.
Well...I mean...I guess he gave them an outline or something...but you have to understand the show changed SO MUCH from the books. They got rid of entire characters (including major POV characters like Arianne from Dorne), entire storylines as well as combining characters and storylines (Sansa never married Ramsay in the books (that's another character)...she's still in the Vale as of Book 6 preview chapters, Stannis is still alive...and just basically not caring about Jon's parentage in general which is why they got the show in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes...I think Dany was always supposed to break bad...but it will probably be done alot more "elegantly" in the books. Again, there's alot that is lost on the show including POV because Dany is one of them...so you see her thoughts. There's actually a very famous collection of essays called the Meereenese Blot Essays that details Dany's descent in the darkness and is GRRM approved.

The Bran as king thing...I don't know about that...part of me wonders if the show ended before the true, true ending of Book 7...but I guess we'll see.

I think there's even more they omitted that GRRM told them...but they just didn't want to take the time to do it.

I think the plan was always to release the other books before the end of the show. He had just released Book 5 after Season 1 ended...probably thinking...there's NO WAY they're gonna catch up...and then he got hit with writers block. Book 6 was going to come out before Season 6...but he missed his deadline (supposed to be Halloween 2015).

God...I guess I still have some ~inner rage about this whole thing. OMG.