Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM
FAU
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
I'm sure you'll love it all over again Lindsay.

Lily does a pretty good rendition of this from the animated version too.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVKPJzUeVX4

and Helena doing Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo too...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q23Z2CRSNzs

and thanks for the info about Jessica.

I like the thought of Henry and Tom being business partners, let's hope it could happen Andorra.
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM
New Fan

Heck! How embarrassing. . . .

Just checked the license number on the car Talbot was driving. It's a Bentley. And not built until two years after he's shown driving it, lol!

www.VintageBentleys.org :: [1927 Bentley] Registration No. YR 4575 :: Chassis No. RE1400 :: Engine No. LT1580

Neverthless--the Talbots *were* known for racing. And Henry mentions cars as his sport as opposed to shooting.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
FAU
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleriver (View Post)
Heck! How embarrassing. . . .

Just checked the license number on the car Talbot was driving. It's a Bentley. And not built until two years after he's shown driving it, lol!

www.VintageBentleys.org :: [1927 Bentley] Registration No. YR 4575 :: Chassis No. RE1400 :: Engine No. LT1580

Neverthless--the Talbots *were* known for racing. And Henry mentions cars as his sport as opposed to shooting.
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
Lily does a pretty good rendition of this from the animated version too.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVKPJzUeVX4

and Helena doing Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo too...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q23Z2CRSNzs
Thanks for these, I haven't seen it yet and will get to it later.

Quote:
Maybe we see scenes of Mary attending some car shows for S6 and she bumps into Henry again?

Also posting a BTS shot from Michelle's IG. It's not spoilerish.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM
FAU
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Thanks for these, I haven't seen it yet and will get to it later.

Maybe we see scenes of Mary attending some car shows for S6 and she bumps into Henry again?

Also posting a BTS shot from Michelle's IG. It's not spoilerish.
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
But yanno? I still have a gripe with him saying to Sybil that what she'd been doing for four years was "bringing hot drinks to randy officers." Had it been me, we'd have had a fuss on the spot!
Well, there I have to come to his defence. The original line in the script was:

Quote:
BRANSON: "What work? Bringing hot drinks to a lot of randy officers? This isn't a hospital, it's a holiday home."

The last part of the line was - of course - cut. Like so many scenes of Sybil and Tom were cut in series 2. He wasn't putting down her work as a nurse, he was putting down her starting to work in the convalescence home for "officers only". Sybil herself had complained about that fact just one episode earlier.

Also he apologized for his words, but the scene got also cut.
It was right before the concert. From the scriptbook:

Quote:
Branson edges over from the servants to the nurses.
BRANSON: I was harsh with you the other night. To speak slightingly of your work. I'd no right to do that.
SYBIL: No, you didn't.
BRANSON: It's just that when I look at you, not being sure if you're mine, I feel I may explode.
He's whispering under the applause, but her expression catches Mary's attention.
Allen Leech said they shot that scene, but it was cut and IMO it is a pity! People were very angry when Tom said that about Sybil's work and he got a lot of hate.

On the other hand I'm always a bit amazed that NOONE criticized Sybil in the same episode when SHE put down HIS work.

Quote:
SYBIL: But you won't be content staying at Downton forever, won't you? Tinkering away at an engine instead of fighting for freedom? I thought you'd join the rising at Dublin last Easter."
I actually think it shows again how naive Sybil is (the same goes for her "I know we're not at our best in Ireland" one episode earlier). She really has no clue of what is happening in Ireland or how Tom really lives. Doesn't it occur to her that he needs the money of his job? That he can't just "fight for freedom", because he isn't free to do what he wants? The topic of Tom working for money is voiced by him in season 1, too, but it was - of course - cut. When she asked him if he wants to be a politician, he tells her that there is "the little thing called money" that is hindering him of doing what he dreams of.

And also how naive is she to think he will leave after she keeps avoiding to tell him "yes" or "no" for 3 years? She never gave him an answer to his proposal, neither a positive one nor a negative one. She just expects him to stay around until she has decided. And he does.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
Well, there I have to come to his defence.
Beautifully and passionately done!!

I have a hard time seeing actors get blamed for perceived shortcomings of their characters, though. I lived with an actor (stage by the time I knew him, but had done both movies and TV) and awful lot of stuff he loved never made it into the finished productions. TV is particularly vicious with its time constraints.

He was 6'1" and after his death, gathering together the scripts from the last half of his life, the stack measured 6'1"!! It used to tickle me, though: about two weeks after he'd start rehearsal on a new play, I'd find bits of his character creeping into our daily life. A good friend of his, also an actor, said that he'd had one relationship he cared about deeply go south on him because he couldn't rid himself of the character (a mean, violent man) he was playing, and the woman couldn't take it any more.

I was touched that Leech had "stumbled" into theatre with the role of the cowardly lion at age 11. Edwin's first brush with theatre was at five, when his grandmother took him to see Little Black Sambo, and he had to be taken out he was so terrified of the tigers. She gave him a green umbrella for Christmas!! But his main reaction was: Wow! This theatre stuff is *powerful*--it took him till college, to get back to it, but he never left it again.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Moderator Manager

Carrie, I've finally checked the YT clips you posted. Is that really Lily's voice? Wow. And Helena sings so I really enjoyed that. The song suits her voice.

LOL at this line from Cora.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing actors get blamed for perceived shortcomings of their characters, though.
Happens all the time. Michelle, for example, gets a lot of hate on other boards, because a lot of people detest Mary.
I really can't understand it either.

Oh and btw, I don't think Tom Branson has any shortcomings. He's by far the best character of the show and the only reason for me to watch .
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Puddleriver, I agree about preferring to see Tom's character return to journalism or activism.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Carrie, I've finally checked the YT clips you posted. Is that really Lily's voice? Wow. And Helena sings so I really enjoyed that. The song suits her voice.

LOL at this line from Cora.
that was a classic line.

That's another good singer to join the ranks in Downton, they could almost form their own girl band now.

glad you liked the clips Lindsay.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:55 PM
New Fan

mrs. g (and anyone else)--feel free to call me puddle, all my friends do. I'd have used it, but evidently, somewhere on these vast boards, there's another puddle, so I used the long form, lol!

Andorra--I think Tom has a few shortcomings. The primary one is that he's an optimist, which gets him into a bit o' trubble. (Didn't think they'd hurt the Tsar, etc. Didn't foresee how bad he'd feel when they burned the castle down.) He also has the Man Disease--thinking that bedding some close at hand female is a cure for some other problem. He shares that with Robert, and possibly with Fellowes himself, lol! I do however agree that he has many fewer flaws than most. . . .

Random observation: I really hated Matthew's look of burdened superiority as he was dancing with Mrs. Patmore at the Servants' Ball. . . .
Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Cinderella premiere in London tonight, looks amazing from all these pics......'Cinderella' London Premiere - 013 - Lily James Online / Photo Archive
Old 03-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Andorra--I think Tom has a few shortcomings. The primary one is that he's an optimist, which gets him into a bit o' trubble. (Didn't think they'd hurt the Tsar, etc. Didn't foresee how bad he'd feel when they burned the castle down.) He also has the Man Disease--thinking that bedding some close at hand female is a cure for some other problem. He shares that with Robert, and possibly with Fellowes himself, lol! I do however agree that he has many fewer flaws than most. . . .
I don't think optimism is a shortcoming, nor is a gentle nature.

And I certainly disagree about what I put into bold: Tom didn't "bed" Edna to cure some problem. He was drunk and he was abused.

He didn't invite her into his bed, he didn't even give the tiniest sign that he wanted to sleep with her and yet she deliberately made him drunk and then forced herself on him.

It was sexual abuse. Allen Leech said the he doesn't know if Tom really slept with her. In his Interpretation Tom woke up the next morning and found her in his bed, not remembering what happened.

But of course she made him THINK he had slept with her. And, of course, he is a man of his time and thinks a man can't be abused. So it is logical that he takes the blame or that Mrs Hughes says he "is partly to blame".

But today we have a different POV and we know that it is possible that man is forced to non consential sex.
I definitely think that it is the case here.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 PM
New Fan

Andorra--I absolutely stand corrected. That episode is on the one DVD that has real issues for me. In fact, I've only seen the last third of that one once, and that with lurches and holes. Your take is likely the valid one, given the other things we've seen Edna do. [That exact thing happened to the youngest Walton boy, Jim-Bob, some 30 years ago, lol!]
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top