Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
Oops, I didn't get some of those characters names straight away Lindsay, my score was 70%, I need to pay more attention. what was your score, probably better than mine.
98%. I didn't get Albert Travis, the priest. I was like "who the hell is he?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveilles (View Post)
Plus, as a busy mom, I prefer to use the limited free time I have to keep up my momentum on finishing Trust and Providence.

I'd be open to occasionally reviewing / debating the merits of various pieces of DA fanfic (the Downton Abbey fanfiction community has the highest level of prose and storytelling quality that I've seen in any fandom I've been a part of during these past 20 years, so if you all haven't explored it, you're missing out on some great writing!)
Thanks for the links! I wish I have time to read fanfics these days. But I will have to get around to it eventually especially now that DA is ending. And I get being a busy mom. It's amazing that you have time to update your fics though.

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
98%. I didn't get Albert Travis, the priest. I was like "who the hell is he?"

Thanks for the links! I wish I have time to read fanfics these days. But I will have to get around to it eventually especially now that DA is ending. And I get being a busy mom. It's amazing that you have time to update your fics though.
lol, I was thinking who the hell is that for quite a few of them, well done getting 98%.

I do admire the fanfic writers, I'd love to be able to write something, but like you Lindsay I never seem to have enough hours in the day. I used to love making up stories at school, English was my best subject, so I'm sure the creative juices are still in me somewhere.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I do admire the fanfic writers, I'd love to be able to write something, but like you Lindsay I never seem to have enough hours in the day. I used to love making up stories at school, English was my best subject, so I'm sure the creative juices are still in me somewhere.
I'm sure they are! Everyone has stories to tell. The next time you have a "what if?" or a "WTH?!" or a "why not...?" reaction to something on the show, see if you can turn it into a story! Even short ones are very welcome. I'd be willing to beta for you if you want.

Quote:
That was fun, and I got a 98%. I forgot that the American lady's maid went by "Ms Reed". But at least I knew she was Martha Levinson's lady's maid in S3E1. Hearing the American accent belowstairs was so grating on my ears, after all those all-British casts! Somehow, though, Shirley MacLaine has an American accent but sails around the screen with such panache that she fits right in, even with Dame Maggie Smith there to out-British everyone.

I just watched the S4CS and Paul Giamatti was such a perfect fish-out-of-water. A magnificent actor, but he had so much to work with, being an American who is shorter and less-stunning-model than most of the rest of them. It was so odd to see him on DA, because I think of the show as "elegant" and Giamatti has never struck me as "elegant", LOL. It was genius casting.

I thoroughly enjoyed S4, but then I came to it with pretty low expectations and it made me laugh so many times. Nothing much actually happened, aside from Edith's plot developments, but it was a fun escape. It was a different experience from watching S1-S3, when I was really invested in Mary / Matthew and somewhat invested in Sybil / Tom. At this point, the show has become an amusing diversion, with Violet / Isobel providing some of the highlights. I'm shipping Isobel / Lord Merton and Molesley / Baxter, but not Tom / Ms Bunting (she's a rather obtuse, pushy sort, even if she's amiable and intelligent). I'm looking forward to the Mrs Hughes / Carson development in S5, and dreading the Mary / Who-Cares and Cora / that Egyptologist dude. I really liked Robert in S1-S2, but he became a rather forced antagonist in S3, a mostly useless appendage in S4, and I'm dreading buffoonery in S5.

But I'm having fun.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Same for me. And you should really try fic writing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveilles (View Post)
That was fun, and I got a 98%. I forgot that the American lady's maid went by "Ms Reed". But at least I knew she was Martha Levinson's lady's maid in S3E1. Hearing the American accent belowstairs was so grating on my ears, after all those all-British casts! Somehow, though, Shirley MacLaine has an American accent but sails around the screen with such panache that she fits right in, even with Dame Maggie Smith there to out-British everyone.
The actress that played Ms. Reed was British right because you can tell with her "American" accent. I'm not British but I just think there's something wrong with that American accent.

Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed S4, but then I came to it with pretty low expectations and it made me laugh so many times. Nothing much actually happened, aside from Edith's plot developments, but it was a fun escape. It was a different experience from watching S1-S3, when I was really invested in Mary / Matthew and somewhat invested in Sybil / Tom. At this point, the show has become an amusing diversion, with Violet / Isobel providing some of the highlights. I'm shipping Isobel / Lord Merton and Molesley / Baxter, but not Tom / Ms Bunting (she's a rather obtuse, pushy sort, even if she's amiable and intelligent). I'm looking forward to the Mrs Hughes / Carson development in S5, and dreading the Mary / Who-Cares and Cora / that Egyptologist dude. I really liked Robert in S1-S2, but he became a rather forced antagonist in S3, a mostly useless appendage in S4, and I'm dreading buffoonery in S5.
I do agree that S5 did nothing to further any plot developments except for Edith & Tom (at least for the latter part). At this point the show is indeed a fun escape, a far cry from what it once was in S1. But like you, I still do enjoy it and prefer watching this over some other shows. And just for the cinematography & costumes, it's still worth a watch.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:

I do agree that S5 did nothing to further any plot developments except for Edith & Tom (at least for the latter part). At this point the show is indeed a fun escape, a far cry from what it once was in S1. But like you, I still do enjoy it and prefer watching this over some other shows. And just for the cinematography & costumes, it's still worth a watch.
Agreed, I still like the show but it's not the same as it was in Season 1 and 2. I do love the Tom arcs in the last few seasons (because I honestly wasn't a fan of his at the start ) because he really came into his own in terms of his role in the family, yet still wants to retain his self identify despite it all. And the costumes really are gorgeous.

Spoiler:

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Moderator Manager

Spoiler:

Old 05-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Have to agree about those other elements that make Downton worth watching Lindsay, I'm always drooling over the costumes every season, and even when some of the SL's begger belief, you can't fault the production value's, that's one thing they always get right.

Sounds like an interesting idea, taking a Downton themed river cruise.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Moderator Manager

I think this article is missing someone, Edith. I think she deserves the happy ending the most:

The Happy Endings Fans Deserve in Downton Abbey Season 6! | moviepilot.com

Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I think this article is missing someone, Edith. I think she deserves the happy ending the most:

Totally agree with that Lindsay, she really deserves a happy ending, along with Anna and Bates, those three characters have been through enough misery.

Needless to say I'm agreeing with the way they're picturing Mary's ending.

Looks like Jim was having a good time at Lords.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I finish s1. I love it. I am sad that two characters I like wont be around in the later season but I try to enjoy them. Violet cracks me up
Old 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM
FAU
Master Fan

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Moderator Manager

Carrie, I agree with Anna & Bates. After everything that they've been through, these two really need a happy ending.

fox24, sorry that you got spoiled for future SLs. S2 is good and (imo) even S3. Hope you finish watching the rest of the seasons soon.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope to be done by the end of the summer. I need to rent the dvds
Old 05-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the links Lindsay, and amazing to see Elizabeth looking so young in that movie still, she reminds me a little of Judy Garland, she's really got a classic glamorous Hollywood look if you know what I mean.

Seems appropriate she narrated this programme back in 2012, about Screen Goddess's, I found it fascinating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHTCiEsIYkA
Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 PM
FAU
Master Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the links Lindsay, and amazing to see Elizabeth looking so young in that movie still, she reminds me a little of Judy Garland, she's really got a classic glamorous Hollywood look if you know what I mean.

Seems appropriate she narrated this programme back in 2012, about Screen Goddess's, I found it fascinating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHTCiEsIYkA
Thanks.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top