Elite Fan

Julie's Art Thread
Julie icon by me

Last edited by fluffybunny; 10-09-2017 at 09:39 AM
Old 10-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Master Fan

Ryan Murphy On Why He Re-Edited Mass Shooting In ‘AHS: Cult’ | Deadline
Quote:
Ryan Murphy On Why He Re-Edited Mass Shooting In ‘AHS: Cult’: “I Believe In Victims’ Rights”–New Yorker Festival

American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy said he decided to recut the upcoming episode of the current season of the anthology Cult to tone down a mass shooting in the wake of the Las Vegas massacre.

“I believe I have the right to air it. But I also believe in victims’ rights and I believe that now is not the week to have something explosive or incendiary in the culture,” he said during a New Yorker Festival conversation with TV critic Emily Nussbaum. The shooting sequence was devised and shot months before the Las Vegas incident, he said. After discussions with Fox execs and other members of the team behind the show, the episode was re-edited to have the violence de-emphasized and occur largely off-screen.

“It was meant to be an obvious anti-gun warning about society,” Murphy noted about the intent of the show.

While he endeavors to be sensitive, Murphy told Nussbaum that, as a viewer, he finds very little offensive. “But I grew up as an artist in the ’80s with huge cultural discussions about Serrano and Piss Christ and ‘Should it be banned,’ and ‘Should somebody be allowed to create certain kinds of work? ‘” Asked about the frequent charge that he is self-consciously trying to provoke, Murphy insisted, “I never do anything to offend.”

The nearly two-hour session covered a large amount of ground, from Murphy’s childhood to his adventures as a crime reporter and celebrity journalist and finally to his travels through Hollywood over the past two decades.

He talked about his collaborations with women, including Lena Dunham, who is playing Andy Warhol shooter Valerie Solanas in an upcoming arc on Cult. He said he has often been able to connect with women by assuring them, as he did with Jessica Lange, that “I will take care of her and listen to her and make her feel safe.”

That theme led to the inevitable question about Harvey Weinstein and the revelations of decades of sexual misdeeds. Murphy said he had had only one direct interaction with him, a congratulatory call from Weinstein about Murphy’s adaptation of The Normal Heart.

“I do know my way around an Oscar-winning lady or two,” he said. “There is always a minefield you navigate when you’re a woman.” He always had detected an “ick factor” about Weinstein, he continued. And yet, he added, “The timing of this is interesting. I do think the business and the world are changing.” He added later in the conversation: “If you try that in a corporate environment, you get slapped down.”
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thats interesting because she shot quite a few people so how exactly was it edited? Just toned down? I cant imagine what i was before? Maybe a different gun? IDK.

The wife was pretty stupid to drive to the restaurant instead of out of State?

eta:

707 was a snooze fest. This show has a problem with getting off course too often. I didnt care about Valerie and I dont like Lena Dunham much so it was not my favorite episode at all.

708 was crazy too with Kai shooting his brother, the sister shooting Colton's character and then the ending went the other wife joined. This show is just SO far fetched though. Ryan Murphy really isn't that good, I'm sorry. But his stuff is just way over the top and weird. He starts out great and then goes off into crazy land with his storylines. He needs to real it in.

709 not much to say about this one. Like every other season of this show this is the point where I am bored and ready for it to end. So now Sarah's character killed her wife? WTF. Like, this is just too much. Too stupid. And WTF was that ending with Kai and Sarah's carjacker embracing? I cannot.

2 TO GO!

Last edited by Alexa; 11-07-2017 at 01:02 AM
Old 11-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wonder what was changed, but I can't fully comment on it since I haven't seen the episode yet.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

So glad to be done with this season. I only watch for Evan Peters but I don't know if I can stick around next season. I just haven't enjoyed the show since season 3. :/ I did like this season better than the last 3 but still not enough.

How many characters can Evan play in this season? Seriously.

Killing an unborn baby while still in the stomach is probably the grosses thing this show has done... I dont know if I can handle this show anymore.

I was surprised Kai actually killed Winter. I didn't think he'd be able to.

The finale was okay, nothing special. I like that Kai was arrested finally. But some of the cult members shouldn't have gotten off scott free. I was glad when he was killed in the end finally. So Beverly was truly the cult leader the whole time lol.

I do love that it flipped the story around and it actually ended on a good note. This season was a lot easier to follow than past seasons, thats for sure!
Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I liked the middle of the season, but as always I thought the finale was pretty average. Evan is great in the show along with Sarah, but I think the cast needs an bit of a change next year to mix things up an bit.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Extreme Fan

Am I the only one who really liked this season? I felt it brought back some creepiness I'd been missing since Asylum and Murder House. Roanoke could have also been really creepy if they didn't keep switching the storyline. I really loved Kai (as a villain), how he degenerates and becomes more and more unhinged. Evan Peters killed it this season. I think he played all the cult leaders because Kai was seeing himself in their shoes, that he is going to be the next great one to achieve what they didn't manage to. So basically arrogance. This show has always been far fetched to me, I've been suspending disbelief since the very first season.

Cult of course did have some flaws, I think the finale should have been a bit more dramatic regarding the Ally/Kai showdown. I think more should have been done with Winter, who had potential to be interesting.

I guess I'm also one of the few who absolutely hates the idea of a crossover season though. Seriously hate it, I like a new setting and new characters for each story, and Coven was my least favourite season.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Evan did a great job even though I hated Kai. And I do think this season was the best one since season 3 personally. But I still didnt LOVE it. Ive only loved season 1. Seasons 2/3/5 had good moments for me too. Personally I HATED season 6 and season 4 wasnt good to me either.

What do you mean crossover season?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Evan definitely did an great job with Kai Despite my issues with it, Season 7 was a lot better than 5 and 6, which I didn't really like at all and 4 that was meh at best imo.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Evan did a great job even though I hated Kai. And I do think this season was the best one since season 3 personally. But I still didnt LOVE it. Ive only loved season 1. Seasons 2/3/5 had good moments for me too. Personally I HATED season 6 and season 4 wasnt good to me either.

What do you mean crossover season?
I've heard they plan to make a season that revisits Coven & Murder House or something. Really don't like it, want something fresh.

Asylum is my favourite, Murder House is the second. Coven felt like nearly an entirely different show, lacked nearly all the scariness (AHS never actually scares me but I like the atmosphere). The only character I was really rooting for got the worst fate of all, but I did like Kathy Bates as Delphine LaLaurie.

I would really like to see Sarah Paulson as an actual villain at some point, and I missed there being a couple of side plots that come together in the end (Cult lacked those for me).
Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Where did you hear that? I don't really want that either tbh.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:52 PM
Elite Fan

Ranking the seasons from my favorite to the blah ones lol

Season 2 : Asylum
Season 3 : Coven
Season 6 : Roanoke
Season 1 : Murder House

Then,

Season 7 : Cult
Season 4 : Freak show

Then way way WAY down below

Season 5 : Hotel
Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Mine would be:
Season 1
Season 3
Season 2
Season 7
Season 6
Season 4
Season 5
Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Elite Fan

^ We both agree that 4 & 5 were pretty bad
Old 11-30-2017, 02:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I've heard they plan to make a season that revisits Coven & Murder House or something. Really don't like it, want something fresh.
Of all the possibly crossovers i like this best because i like those two seasons, but they would still have to have different characters right because we have taissa and evan playing different characters in those seasons lol.

For me:

Mine would be:
Season 1: Murder House (above and beyond the rest)
Season 3: Coven (I liked the witch theme and felt it was fairly cohesive.)
Season 2: Asylum (Gross in concept sometimes but it was scary and well done)

Season 7: Cult (I am not a politic fan and it was boring/weird at times but it felt more cohesive to me than the others and sort of made sense lol)
Season 5: Hotel (season was a mess but I found some parts entertaining)

Season 4: Freak Show (Just found this one boring and I really don't like the freak show aspect at all it gives me an icky feeling)
Season 6: Raonoke (REALLY hated this one. Found the dumb documentary plot soooooo not scary and just the entire season was such a mess and so all over the place.)
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top