Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

I love the illustration
Old 06-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
YES, TROIAN BELLISARIO’S MAKING MOVIES NOW, BUT SHE’S NOT DONE WITH TV
The Pretty Little Liars actress fills us in on life after the hit show.

Troian Bellisario may be best known as Spencer on Pretty Little Liars, but all that’s about to change. The seven-season show is, sadly, coming to an end on June 27, and the actress is about to release her first feature film, Feed—which she wrote, produced, *and* starred in— on VOD and all digital platforms on July 18. Clearly, big things are just on the horizon for this multi-talented star, prompting us to want to know more—like why she went behind the camera and if another series is in her future (please say yes!).

So when we met up with Troian at the London Hotel in West Hollywood, we asked her to spill—and thankfully, she did. Read on for more on her creative process, how her parents inspired her, and a too-cool story about...Lauren Bacall’s nightgown?!

SHE’S *LITERALLY* A DIFFERENT PERSON FROM WHEN PRETTY LITTLE LIARS BEGAN

“They say you create new cells—hair cells, skin cells, even the lining of your stomach—and that cycle takes about seven years. So when you think about it, you’re not the same person you were seven years ago. Biologically, I’m a different human being. Yet we were all there for each other while we were going through those changes. There’s something very interesting about that.”

SHE ONCE TRIED ON LAUREN BACALL’S NIGHTGOWN

“When we were doing the film noir episode, because Warner Bros. has been a studio for a long time, they pulled a lot of costumes from the ’40s. I got to try on Lauren Bacall’s nightgown from The Big Sleep. It was so cool because Joe Dougherty, who wrote the noir episode, based Spencer’s character on Lauren Bacall. Toby was based on Humphry Bogart—our whole scene together was supposed to be a Bacall-and-Bogart callback. It really upsets me, actually, that we didn’t end up using that nightgown. I mean, how could you not use Lauren Bacall’s actual nightgown?!”

SHE WAS NEVER CONTENT WITH JUST ACTING

“I grew up watching my mother both act in front of the camera and direct, and my father direct and write. There was just something in me—I’ve never been content. I’m really, really curious to actively see why he’s coming at her from this angle, and talking to the director about how they’re going to accomplish this sequence. They were so patient with me for Pretty Little Liars. I would march my way into the writers’ room and be like, ‘Guys, what‘s going on? What’s happening next? What are we doing?’ Everybody was so encouraging to help me learn because they saw I had this curiosity. By the end, it became a thing they were all banking on. Like, ‘Come on, Bellisario! When are you going to direct?’”

AND REALLY WANTS TO CREATE HER OWN STORIES

“A lot of acting isn’t only about having talent. It’s about luck. It’s about walking into the right room and them thinking you have the right hair color, you’re the right height, and you can act on top of it. It’s a lot to wait on and bet on, and I don’t necessarily feel comfortable just waiting around for that to happen. I like working too much. I like telling stories too much. So it was important for me to create my own world, not only that I could act in, but that I could continue to tell stories from.”

FEED WAS INSPIRED BY HER OWN EXPERIENCES

“All of my stories are kind of closely related to themes and experiences I’ve had in my life, even if the [main] character isn’t like me. Feed was my own, very personal story dealing with mental illness, but it’s not from my point of view. I wanted to take the themes of that [experience] and tell it in a completely different way, so that I could touch on it, but not have it be about my own life.”

SHE WOULD DEFINITELY DO ANOTHER TV SHOW

“Absolutely! It’s an incredible long form of storytelling. It’s really shifted, because for a while, television was just sort of like, ‘What are they going to get up to this week?!’ But it’s always kind of the same thing. When I first saw Six Feet Under, it changed the way I looked at television. I’ve spent so much time with the Fisher family that I love them in a way that I couldn’t love even my favorite characters from movies. Only television can do that.”
X

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-23-2017, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Are you going to buy it?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Probably

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 AM
Moderator Support Team

Nice
Old 06-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

X

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
UBER A UNMASKED

Only in Rosewood could a long-lost evil twin with a British accent stroll into town to reveal herself as the omnipresent stalker Uber A and be met with a resounding, "Yeah, sounds about right." After all, this is a place where it rarely snows (in Pennsylvania), where you don't need a permit to build a massive subterranean doll house, where doctors will artificially inseminate your enemies for a nominal fee, and where suburban moms can escape locked basements like wine-slugging Houdinis. Stranger things have happened.

In tonight's highly anticipated—and highly entertaining—series finale of Pretty Little Liars, we learned that Team Twincer—the fans whose theory that Spencer Hastings has a twin who might just be the show's biggest baddie of them all—were pretty on the money. To recap: Mary Drake had two daughters in Radley. One went to the Hastings family and lived a charmed existence: Spencer. The other was shipped to the U.K. for a more hard-knock life: Alex Drake. (Or—wait for it—A.D.) Enter that smarmy instigator Wren. Years later, he discovers Alex in a London bar and draws her into the liars' web. She developed a relationship with Charlotte (her half-sister), and decided to avenge her death. How? As the liars would say, by stealing the game from Charlotte herself, imprisoning Spencer in a gargantuan underground bio-dome, secretly usurping her life, and taking her place in Rosewood. It's a twisted and ultimately tragic plot that doesn't go as planned, when the girls band together to take down one last A.

When Troian Bellisario runs all this down for me over the phone, from a secure location, after many NDAs have changed many hands, she's still on edge. "It's so unnerving! It feels so weird talking about it," she exclaims. "Like, 'Oh God, am I going to get into trouble?'" Over seven seasons, Bellisario has embrace the bonkers fun of the show while striving to root her character in reality. "We have these fantastic archetypes," she says. "Why not flesh them out and investigate them?" Now, Bellisario is playing the ultimate soap trope—and it's no wonder she still threw herself into it with the kind of powerful, overachieving gusto that she and Spencer (and Alex) share.

All the while, Bellisario has kept a close eye on fans too: Yes, Alex's obsession with Aria is a nod to Team Sparia, she tells me. When I mention a Tumblr user named The Outlast, whose highly detailed and not far-off theories have lit up the PLL fandom more than once, she pauses for a beat. "I think Marlene actually sent me a post by The Outlast a while ago!" Oh, and the reason I. Marlene King, the evil genius behind the show, has been sending her fan theories? Because the two of them have been sharing the secret of Uber A's identity for years. Yes, years.

So when it came time for Bellisario to finally spill some secrets, she didn't disappoint. She told ELLE.com about the day she found out Uber A's identity, how King crafted it, and what it was like to finally film the big reveal.

First thing's first: How did you find out you were playing Uber A?
I was first told in the beginning of season five. Marlene took me aside and told me, "I have an idea, but I don't know if the network will let me do it..." Then she sat me down and explained this whole ending to me. She said, "You cannot tell anybody. It might not even happen." So I sat on it for over a year. Then at the end of season six, she said, "We're going to do it." It was like the starting gun at the races.

What was the conversation like when Marlene first told you about her plan?
The conversation actually took place while I was shooting a scene. In between takes I would come back to Marlene and sit down cross-legged to hear more. It was Story Time with Marlene! I wanted her to tell me everything. It took two hours to go through the entire pitch. There was so much for her to tell! I didn't even know about Mary Drake—we hadn't really introduced that character's story yet. So I didn't know about Spencer being adopted either. She had a lot to tell me.

So at that point, did it seem like she had this plan all fully formed in her mind?
Yeah. Originally, the show was only supposed to last five years. So she was going to take it through to Charlotte being revealed as A, and that was it. But around season four, the network contacted her and said they really wanted to take the show through to seven seasons. That's when she had to start creating this whole other world, with a new ultimate villain. By the time she let me in on it, she had been thinking about it for at least a full year and had really fleshed it out. Over the next two years, we got to build it together.

Had Marlene been dropping breadcrumbs to support this story during that time?
No, I think it was more fortuitous. The whole arc of Spencer going to Radley and feeling at home there, having a connection to the place, feeling like she had a history there. Maybe it was fortuitous, or maybe it helped lead Marlene to this idea, but those parts of Spencer's story fit perfectly into the revelation that Radley is actually where Spencer was born, that she is a part of its history.

How did you keep the identity of Uber A a secret for so long?
It's been real rough. But for a long time, people would ask, "Who's A.D.?" And I'd say, "It's me!" And everyone would just laugh. It's kind of great when you have a secret that so few people—only me, Marlene, and a handful of others at that point—know. It means you can hide in plain sight.

What about filming the last episode—was there heightened secrecy on set?
Actually, there didn't need to be a lot of secrecy because we shoot mostly on a backlot. It might be possible for the studio tours to see us filming as they were going through the lot, but I was dressed up as Spencer, and they wouldn't have gotten close enough to hear the way that I was speaking. So they wouldn't have known anything.

You directed your first episode this season. It also happened to be one that offered the biggest clue as to the identity of Uber A, in a scene where [Ian Harding's character] Ezra runs into "Spencer" at the airport. Eagle-eyed fans realized that there was no way Spencer could have gotten to the airport so quickly from the Lost Woods, where she was in her previous scene in the episode. Did you mean to tip your hat to the audience?
Totally. It was the first scene in which Alex gets caught in a situation not of her making, in which someone mistakes her for Spencer. In every other scene, she's very prepared. She walks in pretending to be Spencer; everybody is expecting her to be Spencer. But when Ezra happens upon her and [Julian Morris' character] Wren, it's very much not a part of her plan. We knew that the scene would be a huge tipping point for certain members of the audience. We all agreed that the people who are going to get it are going to get it. I said to Marlene, "We aren't going to be able to control this secret until the very end, but that doesn't mean that the audience isn't going to have fun." For some people, the reveal of Spencer's twin will be a total slap upside the head, and it'll be great. For other people, it'll be fun to feel ahead of the game. It doesn't take the fun out of the mystery. It makes you feel like you're a part of it.

In the scenes throughout the season where you were secretly playing Alex, how did you act as that character without giving too much away?
As we were building the evolution of how good she would get at impersonating Spencer, we had to walk that razor-thin edge between keeping the secret and subtly letting the audience know. One of the first scenes where you see Alex is when she shows up as Spencer and asks [Keegan Allen's character] Toby for the kiss goodbye. We were all sweating bullets over what she was going to wear to look like Spencer, how good she would be at imitating her, how uncomfortable she might be, how much it might throw her off. But the fans interpreted it as Spencer being nervous about saying goodbye to Toby. It was wonderful! They filled in all the blanks.

Did the actors you were playing opposite as Alex know who you were?
Actually, one of the only other people who knew early on, who was on set the day Marlene and I first spoke about Alex, was Keegan. So he and I were kind of the secret-keepers. I don't think the girls knew until well into filming this season. There were a few scenes that I played with them where they didn't know I was playing a different character. They must have just been like, "Huh. Troian's off today!" But by the time the finale rolled by, everybody was a part of it.

What were their reactions when they found out?
There was a scene in the very beginning of the season where [Ashley Benson's character] Hanna wakes up to a dream of younger Spencer talking to her in the cell A.D. put her in. When we came out to the cast about Alex, Ashley said, "Wait, you were a different person in that scene and you didn't even tell me?" I said, "I wasn't allowed to tell you!" She was like, "Man, I'm feeling really betrayed right now!" [Laughs]

What was it like when everyone got the script for the finale?
We had a massive table read in the same room where we'd had our very first table read of the show's pilot script. We sat around the same table and every single writer, every single producer was there, and so many people whose characters came back for the first time in a long time. We all got to sit down and read through the script, almost like a radio play. It was fun to read all the scenes between Alex and Spencer, where Alex is explaining everything that's going on to her twin. It was a total blast to play these two characters in a room, in front of everybody, to see how it was going to go over.

Did you do the English accent?
Oooh, yes. I've never been more nervous—my heart was pounding the whole time. Switching between the accents and the two different personalities, I've never been more exhausted. By the end, I turned to someone else like, "What just happened?"

How would you describe the essential difference between playing Spencer and Alex?
Spencer comes out from under things, that's where her confidence comes from. Alex has a very different kind of confidence. She's brash, she's, uh, a very sexually confident person. [Laughs] I think of it like this: Spencer approaches things with her head and her heart, and Alex approaches things with her head and her groin. That's not to say she doesn't have a heart or feelings, but she's gotten really good at putting a thick coat of armor over her heart.

What was it like playing an evil English twin secretly playing her American sister?
At first I had to build the history of this character, her idiosyncrasies, and her movements with Marlene. I got to work with an incredible dialect coach to find the character's rhythm. Once you lock that in, it becomes a game of figuring out how good is she at transitioning her personality into Spencer's. Even if you've been observing somebody for a long time, your ability to imitate them is based a lot on your perception and judgements of them. It's not necessarily just about Alex being an incredible mimic. It's also about what Alex thinks of Spencer.

This is one of the only dramas on TV where ending with the reveal of a long-lost evil twin makes perfect sense tonally. Did you accept and embrace the utter insanity of the show from the beginning?
No, I totally fought against it at first. I beat my head against the Pretty Little Liars machine for a very long time. Then I had a conversation with Norman Buckley, a director who's probably directed more episodes of the show than anyone else. He said, "The circumstances may be fantastical, but the emotions are real." I think a lot about stories that are science fiction or fantasy. If your characters live in a world with dragons and magical powers, or in a world where we can easily travel through space and time, then your job is to play it for keeps. At first that was tough for me because I saw our show more like Gossip Girl in a way. I thought of the characters as just a bunch of people interacting with each other in the real world. But then you start to see that A is everywhere and sees everything, and that it's not physically possible for a single person to do all that. So…let's just say that person has an insane amount of money and the best surveillance equipment in the world! Once you accept those circumstances, then you get to just play in that sandbox.

How the hell did Uber A pay for all the surveillance and equipment and bribes, not to mention the subterranean doll house, anyway?
Well, Wren is incredibly wealthy, and Charlotte left Alex everything. Easy! [Laughs] From the very beginning of the show, we've just had the wealthiest villains and they've continuously passed their insane wealth on to the new villains.

Oddly, the reveal of an evil twin makes more sense in the world of Pretty Little Liars than the revelation that Dan Humphrey was Gossip Girl. In the more realistic—though stylized—world of that show, it was hard to believe that Dan had been terrorizing himself all those years. There was no Radley, no multiple personalities, no evil twin to explain that behavior away.
Yeah, you could roll your eyes, like, "Oh, God, we're doing an evil twin?" But it's so rare to get to tell a story that's serious in one moment and totally wackadoo in the next. And you're playing in a universe where it's not only accepted—but it's expected. As an actor, it's my job to give a performance that's as grounded and real as possible. But in the world of this show, if I'm given the opportunity to play an evil, British twin, then I'm going to do it and have a blast. When else do you get to do that?

How does it feel now that the world finally knows who Uber A is?
I'm just nervous about how the hell this character is going to go over. It's bold! But even if you figure out that Spencer has a twin, you're never going to guess the backstory and the insanity that brought her to Rosewood. So I think there are still going to be surprises. I also feel like you're not going to get through seven seasons of this twisty-turny, topsy-turvy show, then see me spin around as a different person with a different accent and be like, "No, no, I don't buy it." We've made these great leaps and unexpected turns, and the audience has come with us every time. So I have a lot of faith that the audience is just going to enjoy it. And that's what I hope for them. If it's the last two hours you may ever get to spend in Rosewood, then God, I hope to **** you enjoy it.
X

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-29-2017, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Troian Bellisario Reveals ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Behind-the-Scenes Secrets — Plus, What’s Next?

“Of course! Who doesn’t? Ask that of anybody on my show.”

That’s what Troian Bellisario told Variety a few weeks ago when asked if she wishes she were “A” — of course, that was before the series finale of “Pretty Little Liars” aired. (Spoiler alert: read here for more on that.)

Sitting down with Variety earlier this month for a shoot and interview, discussing her career plans after starring on the Freeform show for seven years, Bellisario took some time in the hot-seat to reveal 18 secrets about “Pretty Little Liars.”

Aside from giving her reaction when she found out the identity of “A,” Bellisario also shared what she’ll miss most about the show, her favorite memories, what she remembers about her audition, her favorite fan theories, and what she took from set — hint: a few items from Spencer’s wardrobe.

Bellisario has starred as one of the central Liars, Spencer Hastings, on “Pretty Little Liars” since the show debuted in 2010. The show became a pop culture phenomenon, changing the way viewers used social media to watch television, and turned Bellisario into a star with millions of devoted fans.

Now that “Liars” has wrapped, those fans are curious what’s next for Bellisario. Well, she has big plans. The multi-hyphenate, who made her directorial debut on the Freeform show this past season, is gearing up for her first feature that she wrote, “Feed,” which will be released on VOD and digital platforms on July 18. Bellisario wrote, produced, and starred in the movie, which has been almost a decade in the making. The passion project, in which she plays opposite Tom Felton, is inspired by Bellisario’s own personal struggle with eating disorders.

“I’m really, really excited because I’ve been working for now eight years on this feature film, and it was directed by my best friend, and it’s a deeply personal story, so I’m really proud to get that out there,” Bellisario says of “Feed.”

As for the future of “Pretty Little Liars,” Bellisario isn’t ruling out a possible reunion down the road. “I think it would be so much fun. I would love to work with everybody again. But I do think, I would want to know what it was,” she says. “Yeah, it would definitely be fun to re-visit these characters and this world.”
X

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So she wants another seven seasons of PLL!
Old 06-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2727 (View Post)
So she wants another seven seasons of PLL!
More.like she wants to see h3r friends.. the show was good i mean that is why we all are here we loved her as spencer in the frist 4 seasons the later ones loss its appeal but j still enjoyed it more than other shows

Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Leigh Tumblr
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Moderator Support Team

yey no bloopers??
Closed Thread   Post New Thread